Come Sail a Way with us LIVE as the Westerdam meets the Sail a Way Gang

kazu

Hope your DH is doing ok.

thanks Melodie, he is doing remarkably well :)

In fact, he asked me if I was ok!! LOL!!! I'm fine.

I don't mind being rocked to sleep.

I do believe he is a converted cruiser.

It's not really bad IMO - it's a melodic rock most of the time.

the only place you really feel it is aft or forward.

And it's not "rough" by my terms at this stage of the game. Fingers crossed I didn't just jinx us.

Back to the cruise - one thing I have neglected to mention...

Our guest lecturer, Charles McClelland. He has done excellent talks throughout the cruise and is carrying on.

He has done everything from the Panama to pirates - all related to where we are and where we are going.

He is really good and very enjoyable.

A word of warning to all - if you do your surveys and enjoy your lecturer make sure HAL knows it.

Rumour has it they are considering dropping them.

With how the room was packed, I can't fathom why but since I have many days at sea facing me next year and going to distant places, I know I will appreciate a good lecturer on that cruise to give me insights.

If you do too, make sure you let HAl know on your surveys.

Charles has done a superb job. We are very lucky to have him on this cruise IMO.

And while we are at it, the Adagio on this cruise is superb. there is not enough room in the Explorer's Lounge most nights for all to hear them. They really need a bigger venue but this is an exceptional Adagio. I found myself looking for 0bnxshs & Missy's Mom tonight automatically and then sadly remembered that they were home.

Miss them and so many already. I don't know where the time has gone, but like all things, when you are having fun, the time goes by all too quickly.

I think someone asked for impressions of the ship and cruise? Just read the posts. I think everyone has enjoyed this cruise immensely.

The crew is great, the Captain is fabulous, the Cellar Master is a blast - what more can anyone ask for? Other than a great roll call of course ;)

Well thanks HAL. We finally received an invitation to the Mariner's luncheon addressed to DH. Only thing is...he got off the ship yesterday and is flying home as I write this!

Thanks but no thanks!

Tried to take DS and DD to the movie "Into the Woods" at 12:30 today but the place was packed with people older than me. We tried to drag the Queens Lounge chairs over so they could see the screen but there was a couple cuddling and other stuff (yes you can use your imagination) in the semi circular sofa. She freaked and told me they couldn't sit there. I said everyone else had done it but she stated that they would Block their view. I was thinking that if they sat up instead of lying on the sofa they could easily see....eba3c2d444c69af17fd05c3907c85241.jpg

the movie will be on tv tomorrow if they still want to watch it. Thatt's assuming it doesn't interfere with Club HAL (know how much they love it).

I know it's not big screen, but it will be available.

Spent some nice time with Cruise Critic members during our tablet/iPad meeting. 1of 4 collected the experts from Club HAL to help us.

There are definitely some people who think they have boarded the "Carnival Westerdam". Two men were wearing baseball caps at dinner in the MDR. There were also a few very inebriated younger people in the Crow's Nest this evening. Chances are their bar bills will be higher than the cost of booking.:D

I am a one star mariner due to my cruises on Cunard so I have been invited to the Mariner's Lunch tomorrow.

We are feeling the "motion of the ocean" as the captain is fond of saying. The little white bags are out by the elevators. I saw and heard two different people succumb to mal de mer on my way to dinner. Two of my dinner companions left right in the middle of the main course feeling ill. Obviously these people are not used to transatlantics in January - this is barely moving in comparison.

I have, alas, started sorting and folding clothes in preparation for packing. I was very impressed that my stuffed (overstuffed:p) laundry bag sent this morning morphed into beautifully cleaned clothes when I returned to my cabin this evening. Great job, super service.

Thanks for the comment, Melodie!

Edited by Scrapnana

Back to the cruise - one thing I have neglected to mention...

Our guest lecturer, Charles McClelland. He has done excellent talks throughout the cruise and is carrying on.

He has done everything from the Panama to pirates - all related to where we are and where we are going.

He is really good and very enjoyable.

A word of warning to all - if you do your surveys and enjoy your lecturer make sure HAL knows it.

Rumour has it they are considering dropping them.

With how the room was packed, I can't fathom why but since I have many days at sea facing me next year and going to distant places, I know I will appreciate a good lecturer on that cruise to give me insights.

If you do too, make sure you let HAl know on your surveys.

Charles has done a superb job. We are very lucky to have him on this cruise IMO.

Glad you had a lecturer for your entire cruise but sad to hear that HAL may be dropping them.

We only them for the Panama part.

I wonder if he was the same guy we saw three years ago in the Neptune Lounge. He was a heavy man wearing a "wife beater T-shirt as well as did his two young sons. The three of them nearly cleaned out the snacks as they brought two large plastic trays. This was the day we boarded and still at the dock.

I was too afraid to take a picture. I assume it was an up sell as on our Roll Call many snagged up sells from Signatures to Neptune Suites. Others in the NL said the same thing after they left with their haul.

I can't remember the words on the T-shirt, but it was not appropriate anywhere. I never saw them again and wondered if he just wandered in as the doors were open.

Sorry to hear that you have picked up a weird bunch of new passengers.

I wonder if he was the same guy we saw three years ago in the Neptune Lounge. He was a heavy man wearing a "wife beater T-shirt as well as did his two young sons. The three of them nearly cleaned out the snacks as they brought two large plastic trays. This was the day we boarded and still at the dock.

I was too afraid to take a picture. I assume it was an up sell as on our Roll Call many snagged up sells from Signatures to Neptune Suites. Others in the NL said the same thing after they left with their haul.

I can't remember the words on the T-shirt, but it was not appropriate anywhere. I never saw them again and wondered if he just wandered in as the doors were open.

Sorry to hear that you have picked up a weird bunch of new passengers.

Nice sunrise this morning. Definitely feeling the movement. We are all good but the newbies are dropping like flies. We have started to roll from side to side as well as front to back.

The table for 4 behind us in the dining room are providing plenty of examples of how not to act for DD and DS. Besides mooing like cows when they saw prime rib on the menu last night, they mimicked the Rockey Horror Picture show amount other not so stellar moments. Loud doesn't begin to describe them.

I will pack up the remaining stuff. Most was done for DH departure on Monday.

He is home and says the storm is ahead of us. He confirmed that NB had snow yesterday. Sorry Kazu and Sapper1!

Good morning world, I am up early as usual to do my laps - then realized I had packed my runners yesterday. Oh dear ;) it is still a bit rocky but not too bad. For new sailors it might be a bit uncomfortable. Annoyed about them springing the International dinner on us a day early as last night I assured our servers we will see them tonight but not on the last night. I may try to get a PG booking and drop their tips off to them first.

the movie will be on tv tomorrow if they still want to watch it. Thatt's assuming it doesn't interfere with Club HAL (know how much they love it).

I know it's not big screen, but it will be available.

Thanks but we know that. They didn't want to go to Club Hal because of being taken to the sports deck and they don't have the clothes for these outside temperatures. The movie 2as something to fill time. We just came back to the cabin and spotted whales.

We haven't turned on our TV yet.

The sofa in our cabin is not that nice, very worn and stained. After the cabin crawl we realized that the cabins for 4 are different than the cabins for two. We have less of the extras that others have in lower categories. No bolster cushions, no sofa throw cushions, no sheer curtains over the verandah door, the divider drapes are duck cloth and not as nice as in the other cabins where there is some shimmer to them, even the fabric on the sofa is a lesser quality. Understandably there is no chair either.

Baseball caps in the MDR? Does the maitre 'd relax the requirements for these boors simply because it's a short cruise? That's unacceptable.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

That is the least of it! Jeans, yoga pants, running shoes and track suits.

I was nearly knocked over in the Lido yesterday by a man in bathrobe and slippers!

Edited by 1of4

Baseball caps in the MDR? Does the maitre 'd relax the requirements for these boors simply because it's a short cruise? That's unacceptable.

There was a couple that was at the mariner cocktail party and lunch. They looked to be in their 70’s and had no social skills because they managed to offend everyone at the table with their mouths. I got ripped a new one from a poster on this board as he said they probably were cancer survivors :rolleyes:.

Last year on the San Diego-Vancouver leg of our cruise a young woman sat down at the table across from us at our table at lunch in the Lido. She took one sip of coffee, looked at us and said loudly "I washed my underwear in the sunk this morning". Everyone in the area went silent. I looked at her and said "Which sink?" Everyone about fell on the floor laughing.

With some of the behavior I saw in the Lido I was actually glad the ship was in Code Red.

Edited by frankc98376

Thanks but we know that. They didn't want to go to Club Hal because of being taken to the sports deck and they don't have the clothes for these outside temperatures. The movie 2as something to fill time. We just came back to the cabin and spotted whales.

We haven't turned on our TV yet.

The sofa in our cabin is not that nice, very worn and stained. After the cabin crawl we realized that the cabins for 4 are different than the cabins for two. We have less of the extras that others have in lower categories. No bolster cushions, no sofa throw cushions, no sheer curtains over the verandah door, the divider drapes are duck cloth and not as nice as in the other cabins where there is some shimmer to them, even the fabric on the sofa is a lesser quality. Understandably there is no chair either.

That's disappointing. I get the lack of a chAir because of the beds but why no bolster cushions or sheers, etc? Very strange.

And the suite reception! Ok, it was cowboy t.ype hat not a baseball cap. LOL

On the reverse side of the coin, some people are dressed quite nicely :)

If anyone does go to the International Night dinner, I highly recommend the Mohr im Hemd dessert. It's the best thing about that menu, IMO!!! The chocolate sauce is to die for. Don't know if that contains cream, though. There is whipping cream on top but that is easily omitted.

The Filipino crew show is in today at 3:00 pm. That makes both crew shows in The afternoon instead of 11:00 pm. Much, much better IMO.

Another thing done. Passed over the thank you notes to be delivered for the meet and greet, etc.

We noticed the jeans & flannel shirts, shorts et al. But DH commented how some of the young, new passengers were dressed to the nines last night for early dinner in the MDR. We also noticed that the children were really dressed and far better behaved than some of the new adults.

The Filipino crew show is in today at 3:00 pm. That makes both crew shows in The afternoon instead of 11:00 pm. Much, much better IMO.

Another thing done. Passed over the thank you notes to be delivered for the meet and greet, etc.

I believe this was also said on the world cruise thread about the Amsterdam. I hope this is a sign of things to come.