Verizon Wireless Warning

Island_Guy

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I will send this out as a general warning to new cruisers.

We are frequent cruisers, and one of the things I like is the ability to leave it all behind.. no cell phone, no emails. But recognizing times have changed, I signed up with Verizon for coverage during our cruise in January. I was under the impression that I would have both cell phone coverage (when available) and internet service for what I thought was a very reasonable fee of $25 per phone (for my wife and I). I arranged this through Verizon before our cruise started, and cancelled it when I returned.

Our bill has never been the same. First, Verizon kept charging me for the service in the subsequent month. Took several phone calls to get them to cancel it. We actually ended up paying for it in Feb (a month after our cruise), and they eventually credited it off our bill.

Then we got a bill for $142 for one telephone call. I use my phone as a phone (imagine that), and was under the distinct impression that the coverage I bought was for the ability to use my phone. I knew it was only available on certain islands (we used it on St. Thomas). Turns out that Verizon lets you use the phone, but charges you by the minute the roaming rate (which is very, very high) for actually using the phone. I laugh (through tears) when looking at my bill for access to the phone, which they bill as a roaming service. Never do they tell you that they are still going to charge you a per minute roaming rate.

Today I received our bill, three months after our cruise, and there was another $50 charge for "data usage". Verizon said that the cruise line must have been tardy in relaying the charges. Still not understanding that comment, as I thought I had Verizon 4G service, and that coverage would have been based on Verizon, but they said that the cruise ship bills Verizon and Verizon bills us. Three months later.

I have learned my lesson. It is cheaper to call ship to shore than it is to use your Verizon cell phone. It is cheaper to buy the internet service from the cruise line than to purchase Verizon's cruise package.

I feel Verizon is very deceptive in their description of their service, and they most certainly do not warn you that you will be paying months after your cruise for their services.

So, let others be warned, whether you are a first time cruiser, or an experienced cruiser. We all learn something new each cruise.

This cruise taught me never, ever to use my Verizon phone on a cruise ship.

I wonder what next month's bill will bring, and if I will ever be done paying for cell phone usage on my past cruise.

Ouch.. sorry to hear you were not informed about the roaming charges.

Last December I also contacted Verizon and printed out the charges for the islands we would be visiting.

I opted to just text and the charges were around 20cents also different incoming than out.

We all learn a hard lesson, I remember happening to me some years ago calling from Grand Cayman.

Although I do not have Verizon, before our last cruise I called the Phone Company to find out which Islands I actually would have service on. They said that Puerto Rico definately (I knew this already), but when asked about St. Thomas or St. John, they said that they contracted with the local carrier to provide service but that it would be $.30 per minute on St. Thomas and $.50 per minute in St. Johns, if service could be found. We did find that at St. Thomas, there are several places with good wi-fi, so we did not use the phone carrier. One is a bakery/Yogurt shop in the new shopping mall halfway between town and Havensight. Password is 'Banana'. Works even whey they are closed. Better wi-fi than the one provided by the mall.

If you go to the Verizon site for info on Int'l and Global plans, there are charts explaining what you receive for services and the various price points. Some are very inclusive while others are pay as you go. There's even a cruise ship plan. It also states that you will receive charges for some services a few months after the date of upgrades.

I'm going to the UK later this month and upgraded to Global on my iphone. First thing before I fly out - go to settings and turn off the data, even though my plan allows for a set limit.

A few decades ago, contact with home/work/emergency was ship-to-shore or Marconi. How did I ever cruise without instant contact? IMO, it's a vacation, and I need to put down the phone and enjoy myself. DH will take his laptop and I have the phone - we'll survive for 23 days with each.

Darcy

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I will send this out as a general warning to new cruisers.

We are frequent cruisers, and one of the things I like is the ability to leave it all behind.. no cell phone, no emails. But recognizing times have changed, I signed up with Verizon for coverage during our cruise in January. I was under the impression that I would have both cell phone coverage (when available) and internet service for what I thought was a very reasonable fee of $25 per phone (for my wife and I). I arranged this through Verizon before our cruise started, and cancelled it when I returned.

Our bill has never been the same. First, Verizon kept charging me for the service in the subsequent month. Took several phone calls to get them to cancel it. We actually ended up paying for it in Feb (a month after our cruise), and they eventually credited it off our bill.

Then we got a bill for $142 for one telephone call. I use my phone as a phone (imagine that), and was under the distinct impression that the coverage I bought was for the ability to use my phone. I knew it was only available on certain islands (we used it on St. Thomas). Turns out that Verizon lets you use the phone, but charges you by the minute the roaming rate (which is very, very high) for actually using the phone. I laugh (through tears) when looking at my bill for access to the phone, which they bill as a roaming service. Never do they tell you that they are still going to charge you a per minute roaming rate.

Today I received our bill, three months after our cruise, and there was another $50 charge for "data usage". Verizon said that the cruise line must have been tardy in relaying the charges. Still not understanding that comment, as I thought I had Verizon 4G service, and that coverage would have been based on Verizon, but they said that the cruise ship bills Verizon and Verizon bills us. Three months later.

I have learned my lesson. It is cheaper to call ship to shore than it is to use your Verizon cell phone. It is cheaper to buy the internet service from the cruise line than to purchase Verizon's cruise package.

I feel Verizon is very deceptive in their description of their service, and they most certainly do not warn you that you will be paying months after your cruise for their services.

So, let others be warned, whether you are a first time cruiser, or an experienced cruiser. We all learn something new each cruise.

This cruise taught me never, ever to use my Verizon phone on a cruise ship.

I wonder what next month's bill will bring, and if I will ever be done paying for cell phone usage on my past cruise.

I have Verizon cell phone. I used it on my last four world cruises. I used my phone when we were off the ship. Yes, some bills were late because the country we were in like Zimbabwe and Botswana.

They did warn me not use my phone in any French Territory because it's not covered. Well, I called my daughter when we were in New Caledonia last year, we chat for five minutes or less. Three hours later I realized I had forgotten to turn my phone off; the damaged was $1,843.30

Overall, I am happy with Verizon and do plan to take it with me on my longest cruise (180 days on Insignia) next year.

Best wishes

Marie

Edited by Porthopper101

I have Verizon cell phone. I used it on my last four world cruises. I used my phone when we were off the ship. Yes, some bills were late because the country we were in like Zimbabwe and Botswana.

They did warn me not use my phone in any French Territory because it's not covered. Well, I called my daughter when we were in New Caledonia last year, we chat for five minutes or less. Three hours later I realized I had forgotten to turn my phone off; the damaged was $1,843.30

Overall, I am happy with Verizon and do plan to take it with me on my longest cruise (180 days on Insignia) next year.

Best wishes

Marie

Marie please tell me they backdated the charges and set you up with a global data and calling plan!

It's VERY important to note that just recently that Verizon stopped including cruise ship data in their global data package of $25 dollars for 100MB instead the new rate is $20.48 per MB. DO NOT USE.

I asked Verizon and they said they are in negotiations with the sat. companies and new plans will be coming out soon to hopefully include cruise ships again. Until then either use the internet in port, or on the ship or get ATT cruise ship plans.

You do not need a cruise ship plan nor a Verizon plan to make/receive calls and text with your Verizon phone. We use ours all the time and a 7day runs us around 15 to 30$ extra on the bill. You have to turn data roaming off(no data used) and make sure your phone has international calling, put on for free by verizon

If you want to use your phone on the internet, yes you need a plan from the ship. If you have to use data, then a plan from Verizon would save some $'s depending on use

Edited by setsail

You do not need a cruise ship plan nor a Verizon plan to make/receive calls and text with your Verizon phone. We use ours all the time and a 7day runs us around 15 to 30$ extra on the bill. You have to turn data roaming off(no data used) and make sure your phone has international calling, put on for free by verizon

If you want to use your phone on the internet, yes you need a plan from the ship. If you have to use data, then a plan from Verizon would save some $'s depending on use

Let me clarify if you don't mind. :)

Cruise Ship Rates while at Sea: (No plan needed)

Voice Roaming: $2.49/min

Text Messaging: 50¢/message sent

5¢/message received

Data through Verizon: 2¢/KB or $20.48/MB or $20,971.52/GB (please make sure your data is off/airplane mode. That allows you to still use ships wifi for a cost)

There is no internet package through Verizon at this time for cruise ship data. There used to be and they got rid of it for now.

In Port of Call:

Voice Roaming: please click the link for pricing information https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/Landing%20Pages/Global%20Services/available-global-services.pdf

Text messaging:

50¢/message sent (SMS)

5¢/message received (SMS)

25¢/message sent (MMS)*

25¢/message sent (MMS)*

*Additional global data charges apply for multimedia messages. Please consider subscribing to a Global Data Plan if plan to send multimedia messages (MMS) while roaming. Otherwise sending a photo over MMS could land you a $20.48 data charge plus the 25 cent for the message. Not worth it. Find wifi or use the Global Data Plan through Verizon.

Global Data Plan through Verizon Wireless is 100 MB for $25. This is to be used in port after you get a free text telling you that area is included in the global data plan. For $15 more monthly per line, add:

100 minutes

100 sent texts

PLUS Unlimited received texts* (I've no idea what this * means so someone would have to ask Verizon).

So it all depends on your needs but my advice is just to find a bar/restaurant in port that offer free Wi-Fi. Send your emails, Skype loves ones, and not bother with either ship wifi or Verizon.

Edited by josephcooper7

All I can say is YIKES! :eek: Too bad it wasn't one of the kids you could blame it on LOL.

My parents sent twelve guys to the moon and back without cel phones.

Put the phone in the safe.

Godzilla used to be a little bitty lizard.

It's 2015 not 1969

Use your cell phone and all electronic devices. Keep in touch with family and friends. Piss off the coworkers with text and pics of you relaxing in the sun on a beach enjoying a cool frosty beverage.

Just educate yourself prior to use.

Let me clarify if you don't mind. :)

Cruise Ship Rates while at Sea: (No plan needed)

Voice Roaming:$2.49/min

Text Messaging:50¢/message sent

5¢/message received

Data through Verizon: 2¢/KB or $20.48/MB or $20,971.52/GB (please make sure your data is off/airplane mode. That allows you to still use ships wifi for a cost)

There is no internet package through Verizon at this time for cruise ship data. There used to be and they got rid of it for now.

In Port of Call:

Voice Roaming: please click the link for pricing information https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/Landing%20Pages/Global%20Services/available-global-services.pdf

Text messaging:

50¢/message sent (SMS)

5¢/message received (SMS)

25¢/message sent (MMS)*

25¢/message sent (MMS)*

*Additional global data charges apply for multimedia messages. Please consider subscribing to a Global Data Plan if plan to send multimedia messages (MMS) while roaming. Otherwise sending a photo over MMS could land you a $20.48 data charge plus the 25 cent for the message. Not worth it. Find wifi or use the Global Data Plan through Verizon.

Global Data Plan through Verizon Wireless is 100 MB for $25. This is to be used in port after you get a free text telling you that area is included in the global data plan. For $15 more monthly per line, add:

100 minutes

100 sent texts

PLUS Unlimited received texts* (I've no idea what this * means so someone would have to ask Verizon).

So it all depends on your needs but my advice is just to find a bar/restaurant in port that offer free Wi-Fi. Send your emails, Skype loves ones, and not bother with either ship wifi or Verizon.

Wow! Joseph! Someone who actually understands how to use their smart phone when it comes to data vs voice and international roaming.

I'm always amazed that folks will spend hundreds on a phone, research covers to kingdom come and have absolutely no idea how the phone and charges work together.

Godzilla used to be a little bitty lizard.

It's 2015 not 1969

Use your cell phone and all electronic devices. Keep in touch with family and friends. Piss off the coworkers with text and pics of you relaxing in the sun on a beach enjoying a cool frosty beverage.

Just educate yourself prior to use.

Uhhhhh.....nonsense.

Cell phone service overseas is like the internet itself.

If you don't know what you are doing....don't do it. Do you turn on a chain saw without knowing what to do?

Plain and simple. Do NOT make simplistic assumption.

Remember....for every complex question there is a simple answer. And it is usually wrong.

I have Verizon and I bought the package too...I had no billing problems at all my problem was I had no service! I had service in San Juan but not St Thomas?? I was not too happy about that but thought what did I pay for? BUt oh well.

Edited by rabbit72