Aft, middle, or front? Any big differences?

no1volman

We took our first cruise last year and was a little worried about sea sickness. So we stayed midship because of so many recommendations on here about it having less movement. My daughter and I also took Bonine just to be safe. So we obviously didn't have any sickness issues. Now we're looking to take our 2nd cruise and I've been somewhat obsessed with staying midship. But I'm wondering if I'm over reacting a little bit. Is there really that much difference staying in the front or rear? Sometimes when looking at cruises I'll let Carnival pick my room for me and it will occasionally put me in the very rear or the very front. Any issues with either of those options?

I have found that the weather / sea conditions and the use (or non-use) of the stabilizers makes much more of a difference than the cabin position. Having said that, I have experienced the least movement while in an aft cabin.

Have you tried the sea-bands? DW swears by them...

My wife gets carsick very easily so we were worried about seasickness but after booking forward cabins we both enjoyed being rocked to sleep and hate it when we have real smooth seas at night.

Forward cabins rock a little more and lower ones get some wave noise (which we love to hear)

Midship cabins are smoothest and quietest. (which bore us to death)

Aft cabins rock a little and have more engine noise or vibration.

Any cabin beats a Holiday Inn any day. :)

Wave noise... lol... i was hung over severely my second sea day on the breeze, and i decided to stay in my cabin. i was in a 4j at the very front of the ship, deck 7. I have to say, hearing the waves hitting the ship and shaking the room every 45 seconds all day long didn't help my headache go away. Overall though i have been midship twice and forward the rest of the time, and I preferred the forward both times.

My wife has a neurological condition and anything more than an about 2 or 3 hours extreme fore is too much for her, she can go a bit longer extreme aft.

Her condition is similar to motion sickness and/or vertigo she is fine mid-ships.

Stabilizers only work for the rocking (side to side motion), not the pitching (up and down like a see-saw). Because the stabilizers reduce fuel economy, they will not always be used.

Higher decks, fore and aft, will feel the most motion. Lower decks, fore and aft, will also feel motion more than low and amidships cabins.

You'll feel a little bit more movement aft or front as compared to the middle. If you're very sensitive to it, it's noticeable. However, the higher up you go, the more movement you'll feel, regardless of where you are on the ship. You'll feel less movement on, say, the Main deck as opposed to the Panorama deck.

Mine and my DW's first cruise was a guaranteed balcony and we got the bow of the ship (5 from the front), and slept right through Hurricane Isaac. We never got motion sickness or sea sick. So we booked our second cruise in the bow...no problems with that either. Our 3rd cruise in September is in the bow too. We love it. Not a lot of foot traffic, great views. No complaints here at all.

We've been looking at taking the 5 day from Jacksonville on the Fascination. My daughter wants to bring a friend, so I would like to have 2 rooms side by side. I called Carnival this morning and I have 2 options for midship. They have 2 ocean view rooms with a joining door on the Riviera deck (6D), or I can get 2 ocean view rooms side by side (no joining door between) on deck 6 (6B, upper). The upper level room is a little more money, but it also comes with on board credit. So it's basically a wash. I prefer the joining door so it's easier to keep an eye on my daughter. But I'm not sure I want to be that low. Just makes for longer elevator rides or more steps. What do you guys think?