Help Please! Styling help needed!

jkudzu

I need a favor please! I bought this skirt last summer and just love it. The fabric is light and comfortable. I tried wearing it with a coral sleeveless knit top but the outfit just didn't work for me so I put it back in the closet. I'd really like to wear it this year.

For all of you fashionistas out there, could you please help me figure out what would go with this skirt (other than a plain white tee shirt)? Top styles, patterns, and colors please because I'm challenged in the art of creating outfits. :o The skirt is navy and white.

Thank you so much for your help!

001A.jpg.e7735a6827b20ec8c23ad5773dce55db.jpg

Edited by jkudzu

I usually wear a lightweight sleeveless navy sweater with my long patterned skirt. Putting a long necklace, some drop earrings and flip-flops (all with gold or silver accents) makes for a casual, yet stylish outfit.

How about a simple red top?

I like red with navy and white - bold red, no cerise or pink. Lime green could work too. Style-wise, nothing too busy, as the stripes take care of that... :D

BTW, where did you buy the skirt? It's gorgeous!

I agree with both of these suggestions. Red would definitely be my choice or possibly a navy top. I think you could use any sleeve length and look fab!

I used to have a very similar maxi skirt - mixed diagonal stripes, in navy & white. However- I did prefer to wear with a white t-shirt because I have a lot of beautiful lapis jewelry and I'd wear that with the outfit - I preferred a more neutral top to show off the lapis beaded necklace:D

A turquoise simple top? I love that color. Navy and white are both sea colors, so maybe that works? Maybe not? I don't know. Then have a necklace with a large white hanging item - something to pull in the white again? Or something with white in it, maybe a little chunky, for a necklace. Like a string of sort of white chunky things. Gold earrings? With that outfit, white strappy or sandaly shoes?

I agree with Hoyaheel with a twist. I would wear it with a navy camisole and then a white open weave knit or lace top over it. I would do my pop of color with accessories. Or a plain white top with a scarf with navy, white, and maybe an accent color (red) and earrings and bangle in the accent color.

Check out this website. She does lots of color combos and puts things together beautifully.

http://www.theviviennefiles.com

Thank you all for the suggestions. And thanks to crzndeb for the web site suggestions. I need all the photo examples I can get!;)

I'm not a huge fan of red but I do have a beautiful, red necklace that my daughter made for me to wear on cruises. I guess I could try a white t, jean jacket, and the necklace with the skirt. I like the idea of a pop of color.

Does anyone have any other images of the style of top to wear with it? And would you try a patterned top? :confused:

Thanks again! You all are great!

What about a light purple, like lavendar? I have a white/blue striped maxi that I like to wear with a pale purple tank, or white t shirt. I wouldn't go with another pattern for the shirt, but that's just me as I usually don't go for patterned things. You could maybe wear a patterned scarf with it, but I'd keep the shirt "plain". If it were me.

Ralph Lauren had a great sweater out last year--it was a white cotton open knit with a navy anchor embellishment on the chest. If you live near an outlet maybe you might get super lucky and find one leftover. It would be PERFECT with that skirt.

I swear! The ladies on CC are the nicest in the world!!!

Thank you all so much for the help. I love the ideas and the photo ideas are great! Now I have something to show me what to shop for!!!:D Pink, yellow, orange, turquoise!!! Why didn't I think of that?

I wasn't sure about the pattern on pattern idea. I know you are supposed to be able to mix them but....

If anyone else has ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again! You all are the best!!!

Edited by jkudzu

I'm not great with pattern mixing, but can do texture mixing (in similar tones) which is why a woven top in a white or navy would be good. Eyelet or lace. Though with that skirt- if I did a solid white or navy top, I might be able to do a paisley or floral scarf:p

I'm not great with pattern mixing, but can do texture mixing (in similar tones) which is why a woven top in a white or navy would be good. Eyelet or lace. Though with that skirt- if I did a solid white or navy top, I might be able to do a paisley or floral scarf:p

I wouldn't do navy--it's impossible to match navy with navy unless it's part of a coordinating set to begin with.

Personally I think the skirt is very, very VERY busy and think it's better paired with a textured solid white top, or maybe something with a design that isn't patterned. (ie the single anchor I mentioned earlier)

I agree with Hoyaheel with a twist. I would wear it with a navy camisole and then a white open weave knit or lace top over it. I would do my pop of color with accessories. Or a plain white top with a scarf with navy, white, and maybe an accent color (red) and earrings and bangle in the accent color.

Check out this website. She does lots of color combos and puts things together beautifully.

http://www.theviviennefiles.com

I think this suggestion would work well and if I might add, you could have silver jewelry and your pop of colour could be your shoes in red or even green.

I would be partly guided by your body shape. If you are heavier on top, I'd suggest a navy top (take the skirt with you to shop, navy can be hard to match!) whereas if your lower half is heavier, a white top would balance your silhouette better.

If you have a definite waist, you can wear a top tucked in. If not, a boxy white or navy top in a material like cotton or linen which stops at the waist with the skirt waist underneath, will perform a very clever optical illusion!

If you fancy a bit of colour, go for a strong shade, such as red, or emerald green and maybe pick that colour up with matching sandals. With a navy or white top, you could accessorise with a coloured belt and matching sandals, a bright colour or gold or silver.

A navy cardigan or jacket would go well with a navy, white or coloured top, or a white version with a white top. The red necklace would go well, too. Have fun

Maybe a solid navy or dark blue top, perhaps a mix of navy / dark blue with white, red or yellow in the mix, perhaps multicolor. Preferable in flowing light fabic blouse. V-neck tee or cardigan blouse, tank /camisole with a nice button sweater - Those the only ideas that popping in my head right now to wear with a skirt like that.

Edited by maywell