Jamies on Anthem

Considering how <sarcasm> successful </sarcasm> this change was for Johnny Rockets on Quantum I'm surprised they haven't changed more venues to it. This seems to be the easiest way to stop all the complaining people are doing about not being able to get into a venue they want when they want. Going A-la-Carte seems to immediately clear the place out. Ironically though I did the math and going a-la-carte actually made Johnny Rockets cheaper for our family but we still didn't go because of the atmosphere change. With Jamie's they've about doubled the price so I'm sure this won't end well. With Quantum they kept talking about the meat/cheese platter that is brought out for the whole table right away, now even that's $10 to get.

It's true

Looks like it will be windjammer for my 40th dinner then, I'm sure at this stage it won't be easy to book anywhere else and I don't want to pay a la carte pricing

! :( oh well...

I'm just thinking here . . . . So I turn up at Jamie's a week on Thursday and get seated at my table . . . . . And they give me the menu. . . . . . And what next? Do they say 'er Sir this meal you paid for is er not paid for now, er you have to pay more to eat here' OR do they say nothing at all and present me a bill? Or do they hope I'll bring it up when I see the charges?

Whatever, it's appalling level of customer service to make these changes and not let us know.

The 'caring about your customers thing to do' would be to honour current bookings and change it for new ones, which who knows may be what actually happens?

Well unless they inform me of changes I am going to play dumb.

I booked Jamie's in September last year for our 3 night sailing in 2 weeks time - there is no option to change booking now as all complimentary restaurants are fully booked on website.

I have paid cover charge for a table d'hote menu which is still shown on cruise planner and that is what I will expect - can't see us getting 3 course meal for the $50 OBC they are supposedly going to give me.

Michelle

It WOULD be the right thing to honor the previously booked reaervations with the flat fee. Since I just canceled, now watch they will decide to honor the reservations for the flat fee.

I'm just gonna replace this dinner which was first night with Izumi. You can get Italian anywhere, but if I'm gonna pay a la carte, Izumi is a MUCH better choice and value

I'm disappointed that RCCL is going this way with its restaurants - but not entirely surprised.

I'm confused as to why people would want to pay to eat at Jamie's on cruise ships when "his" restaurants are everywhere. There's one five minute walk from my house - why would I want to pay extra to eat it on my holiday thousands of miles away?

First Jamies i ever saw was yesterday in Portsmouth which is 1400 km drive from home. Anyway got Jamie's booked and payed for our upcoming cruise so on Wednesday so wondering if they are going to cancel that booking?

we are on the maiden voyage leaving Wednesday. we are booked in Jamie's on Thursday. I don't think we can cancel now. im not going to pay a la carte prices. I booked it last year I was looking forward to trying it. but im not paying for each course. I don't know whether to try to phone rci to try to cancel or wait until we are on the boat but there isn't going to be any spaces to eat in the other restaurants I don't like my evening meal in wj

Also, where are people seeing menus with prices? I see online that Jamie's is now starting at $0, but the menu has no prices (nor does Izumi which I know is a la carte). I booked DD because I understood that to now be included at dinner and there were no prices on the menu, but I guess no prices on the menu doesn't mean anything and DD does say starting at $0.

Various menus with prices have been posted on CC and FB from people on the 2 night TA/ Press tour over the weekend.

As usual with all cruise lines, people are being told a totally different story when then ring to enquire just what is the case with Jamies!

We had pre-booked and paid for the second night of our 3rd May cruise. I have now cancelled this, and booked the only other restaurant that appeared to be available on that night, which is Chic. I'm quite happy with that, but not happy that I had to find out the situation on a forum instead of being told by email from RCI, which is what should have been done for every one who had booked and pre paid. However, on another forum, I was told that someone phoned this morning and asked about their reservation, to be told that current booking would be honoured!!! Go figure :confused:

I, for one, am not prepared to be put in the position that I have no clear idea exactly what I will be paying for my meal, until I get on board. If the price we've pre paid isn't being honoured, don't forget that once you are on board you cant take advantage of the 50% offer they have either!!

Ho hum, such is life :-)

Lou

A contract has been made and payment taken, the people pre booked and pre paid should point out that breach of contract is not a good idea. I suspect that these bookings would have to be honoured or the cruise line risking being sued. I sail Wednesday, I have had no notification of any changes other than the heads up on here. I shall be standing firm

How's the reputation of the Jamie's chain anyways? What does it compare to? Is it generally worth the cost? I wouldn't think it would be a frozen-food bonanza like a US Chilis/Applebees/Fridays/Ruby Tuesdays, but then again I've been to celebrity restaurants and underwhelmed.

Anyone prebooked and paid for should get what was advertised to them at the time. 100% in agreement there. If I were presented with an a la carte menu upon arrive, I'd leave. I am not a fan of a la carte pricing for specialty dining on a cruise ship. Part of the experience is NOT having to think about individual prices, just decide if the price fix cover is a value or not, and then have an enjoyable evening. I am presented with an option of prices every day of my life. I go on vacation to avoid that. The more it feels like a theme park the less likely we are to return.

How's the reputation of the Jamie's chain anyways? What does it compare to? Is it generally worth the cost? I wouldn't think it would be a frozen-food bonanza like a US Chilis/Applebees/Fridays/Ruby Tuesdays, but then again I've been to celebrity restaurants and underwhelmed.

Anyone prebooked and paid for should get what was advertised to them at the time. 100% in agreement there. If I were presented with an a la carte menu upon arrive, I'd leave. I am not a fan of a la carte pricing for specialty dining on a cruise ship. Part of the experience is NOT having to think about individual prices, just decide if the price fix cover is a value or not, and then have an enjoyable evening. I am presented with an option of prices every day of my life. I go on vacation to avoid that. The more it feels like a theme park the less likely we are to return.

I agree with you, the annoying thing is that the other restaurants are all booked up for pre-booking, which is the only way you could take advantage of the 50% off offer that is on at the moment. I can't think of any other speciality restaurant we've been to on any ship that was a la carte, thats the whole idea of a cover charge surely? I know sometimes you may pay a little surcharge for the likes of lobster etc, but not for individual dishes.

My own personal opinion is that on a 3 day cruise, I'm not prepared to waste any time arguing my rights with guest relations, head waiters, or anyone else for that matter. I'm going to relax and enjoy myself - not waste time in what I'm sure will end up a very large queue!!!

Hey ho, putting it to bed now - not going to let it spoil my cruise :)

Lou

Just more reasons we're glad to be sailing on good old Adventure next winter (of course we love the Southern Caribbean routes). We have no ambition to deal with the dining crap on the newer ships (among other things)........:rolleyes: We've always booked some specialty dining venues every cruise (3-4 nights on a 7 night). But on the newer ships it appears to be getting out of control on the reservations and decisons to be made. All of course designed to cost more money and make things more complicated.

Edited by bouhunter

Here's a better picture of the Starters/Mains/Pasta menu.

Jamies%20Anthem_zpswqegmtku.jpg

So, on a ship full of food and a number of complementary venues, RCL are now proposing to upcharge $14 for some pasta with tomato???

I agree with you, both on honoring the deal that was made and in having no interest in a la carte venues on a cruise ship.

As I noted in an earlier comment, we have Jamie's booked for the Anthem TA this fall. I am waiting to see from earlier cruisers if RCI does honor the deal; right now, the info people are reporting from phone calls to RCI is conflicting. (Nothing new there, sadly.)

Edited by Turtles06

Booked Jamie's already months ago with fixed price and haven't heard anything from Royal Caribbean. Unless they inform me before the cruise, I expect the pricing to be done based on our original reservation.

Edited by JezzaC

LOL Every time I see the title of this thread I think someone is asking about pyjamas. Jammies. Get it?

OK ... back to your regularly scheduled program.

My eye sees the same thing. :)

(Fortunately, I clicked on the thread, as it turns out to have info affecting me.)

So am I understanding this correctly, the fee charged is for 'cover' to get into the restaurant and any food ordered is additional?

I made reservations for the Thanksgiving week cruise thinking this was same as other specialty restaurants.

To clarify, on Anthem are there other restaurants that are the same - charge is cover only? I just spent $400 plus for dining for two.:eek:

So am I understanding this correctly, the fee charged is for 'cover' to get into the restaurant and any food ordered is additional?

I made reservations for the Thanksgiving week cruise thinking this was same as other specialty restaurants.

To clarify, on Anthem are there other restaurants that are the same - charge is cover only? I just spent $400 plus for dining for two.:eek:

You've misunderstood. Per the posts above, there will not be a cover charge for Jamie's on Anthem, but you will pay a la carte (per dish) to eat there.

The only thing that is not clear is what RCI will do for those of us who, like you, have already booked and paid for Jamie's for a future cruise. Some folks are saying we'll get our money back (OBC if we don't cancel till we board), and have to pay a la carte if we still want to eat there (which would be RCI reneging on the deal), but one person above said he/she was told the deal would be honored.

(You were not mistaken when you booked. Jamie's was like Chops -- a flat cover charge. But apparently RCI has now decided to make Jamie's an a la carte venue, with prices that seem pretty high according to those menus above.)

Edited by Turtles06

So what they want is panic cancellations, ie punters breaking the contract, best to hold out and see what happens, remember you have to agree to the change or they are in breach of contract. I think those of us still pre booked will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Help me here....

We reserved and PAID $30/pp already. Certainly they can't change something we already paid for can they? Others are right....it was a struggle to get the times we wanted at the time we made the initial dining reservations. Certainly now anything we'd want any where near the times we need is gone so re-booking another venue is not an option.