11am flight from FLL reasonable?

sprockie

Most of the time, that will be fine but there is always a chance of returning late to Port Everglades or long lines clearing CBP. Cruise lines usually say to not book a flight before 12 noon but 11 is a reasonable 'risk' for FLL.

If there's no problems you can get off the ship sometime between 7:30 and 8:00. Then there's the question of how many CBP agents are working at the port and how well things are going at the airport.

Personally, I wouldn't book an 11:00 flight.

Edited by jtl513

Just off Maasdam last Friday. It probably is doable but definitely risky. Self disembark was listed for 7:15 with Luggage direct listed for 7:30. Both groups were called at 7:30. There were 3 CBP agents on duty.

I would also make a decision based on the number of ships in port that day.

Hope this helps.

I would be comfortable with an 11 am flight from FLL. It depends on your airline (terminal) but I was at my gate at 9:15 last time going on United. I'll bet it gets more crowded later in the morning and of course that depends on how many ships are in port.

David

I would say "good luck." The line for TSA in the morning when we arrived was VERY long and slow-moving. Don't forget, it's not getting to the airport in time, that's no problem...it's you and 6 or so other ships' passengers all arriving at TSA at the same time. That's the sticky wicket. I'd prefer after noon to be safe if you can do that...otherwise I'd have a Plan B just in case.

We decided we'd never fly out before at least noon from FLL.

There should be NO problem if you carry all your own luggage. You cannot use Luggage Direct with flights earlier than 11:30 out of FLL. Barring anything really unforeseen, you will have plenty of time to get off the ship and to the airport in time for your flight.

We used Luggage Direct with a flight out right at 11:30 on April 7 and had no issue at all making the flight. There was a line at customs, but it wasn't as if we had to worry about missing our plane.

The main problem is that years ago if you missed your flight, you usually could get a later one. These days, the flights all go out full and there may not be another suitable seat for you until who knows when? Hotel room, taxi fares, meals, change fee for air ticket.....

The problem with asking this question is that everyone will have their own comfort level with risk, and you'll get answers that vary 180 degrees from, as you see, "yes, no problem:)" to "OMG I'd never do that:eek:"

If you can swing the time, I think the best bet is to book a flight for the next morning. That gives you a chance to not worry about "making it" and also to unwind from your cruise.

The problem with asking this question is that everyone will have their own comfort level with risk, and you'll get answers that vary 180 degrees from, as you see, "yes, no problem:)" to "OMG I'd never do that:eek:"

If you can swing the time, I think the best bet is to book a flight for the next morning. That gives you a chance to not worry about "making it" and also to unwind from your cruise.

Yes, this is what we usually do to eliminate all stress. However, our DD is in Gr. 9 next year and I am thinking of taking the risk to avoid another day of missed school. Jetblue's only suitable timed flight is 11, but I'll have to weigh the pros and cons.

Yes, this is what we usually do to eliminate all stress. However, our DD is in Gr. 9 next year and I am thinking of taking the risk to avoid another day of missed school. Jetblue's only suitable timed flight is 11, but I'll have to weigh the pros and cons.

As others have already mentioned, 11 AM is normally doable, but is risky if things do not go as normal.

If you do this, make sure you have a backup plan ready (which might be tough to do on Jetblue due to limited number of fights).

I've done it and gotten off the ship late. I told the cab driver when we got in that our flight was at 11am and he "flew" to get us to the airport on time! I have found the lines at the airport more of an issue. But as someone said, you'll get every possible response to your question, you need to go with your comfort level.

I would do it! Our last cruise was on the Allure of the Seas and we had a 9:00 a.m. flight and made it in plenty of time. I was a little worried but no problem whatsoever. We were self-embarking at 6:30 a.m. and made it to the airport by 7:00 a.m.

We fly Southwest and the only non-stop flight was at 9:00 a.m. Otherwise, we would have been waiting at the airport until 2:00 p.m. which we have done and it is exhausting!

I wouldn't think twice about an 11:00 a.m. flight.

We have made 11AM flights out of FLL doing early walk off. However, the lines for Immigration are long even with early walk off because US Customs does not assign many officers at the HAL terminal. If there are any delays getting into port, you may not make it. Always have a back-up plan.

Most of the time, that will be fine but there is always a chance of returning late to Port Everglades or long lines clearing CBP. Cruise lines usually say to not book a flight before 12 noon but 11 is a reasonable 'risk' for FLL.

I agree with Sails,

On our recent B2B out of FLL on the Nieuw we had disembarkation at 7:30,but for some reason due to customs we were all detained except people getting off at 4:30am. I guess they had first flights out that morning.

We had a late disembark for 9:30 and st 9:30 they were starting to call 8am calls!

To make a long story short we got off when our color was called at 11:15!!! Stood in another long line in the terminal and made it to customs which took forever, and out at approximately 12:35! There were dogs sniffing everyone's carry Ons in line! A lot of people were upset because they missed flights,

We were so glad we stayed a couple of days, or we would of been in the same boat.

We were wondering if something was going on with all the DEA officials.

Denise

PS the Nieuw was going to Freeport for dry dock after our cruise before doing TA

Tell me, how many ships in port would be more than usual and would impact the time and traffic getting to the airport and congestion at the airport. I know I'd have to take into account the size of the ships as well.

Tell me, how many ships in port would be more than usual and would impact the time and traffic getting to the airport and congestion at the airport. I know I'd have to take into account the size of the ships as well.

Four. Unless it's a holiday weekend. Or spring break. Or winter break.

I had a 9:45 a.m. flight out of FLL, after debarking the Westie. I was at the airport by 8:15.

Are you suggesting you think that a wise flight time following a cruise? :)

Surely you had just a bit of anxiety over it?

Happy it worked for you but few of us would make that choice.