Bag Lunch, Crown Princess Alaska

cruisinpoler

All I can say is that reading the list of prohibited items there are many things that are allowed.

"Agricultural Notice: The U.S. and Canadian Agricultural Departments remind you that heavy fines can be imposed for bringing any fruit, vegetables, flowers, plants, meats or diary products into our ports of call.

On the Disembarkation Sheet (for Whittier) the content was slightly different:

US DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE RESTRICTIONS: It is illegal to take fruits, plants, meats or dairy ashore, on the spot fines will be enforced."

Items that are not mentioned are deemed to be OK by me. If they didn't want people to bring donuts & danishes they would have spelled out ALL BAKED GOODS.

Duh, what are baked goods made of? Plants. Officials get to the interpreting of the restriction. They probably think there could be an insect hiding in you baked good that might destroy their agriculture. It's your neck...

Duh, what are baked goods made of? Plants. Officials get to the interpreting of the restriction. They probably think there could be an insect hiding in you baked good that might destroy their agriculture. It's your neck...

Adding onto this thought......

On one cruise I had a bug crawl out of the salad bar raw asparagus. It could have easily gone over to my Danish. (We eat right when things are transitioning)

Read post #65 and let me know. As you can see it's not quite all black & white but there are quite a few acceptable items that are allowed.

I wouldn't chance it in Mexico for sure. You may be their guest for an extended visit.

Mike:)

I wouldn't chance it in Mexico for sure. You may be their guest for an extended visit.

We saw them collecting food in the morning in Cabo but they were only checking bags & pocketbooks. When we arrived in the afternoon on a return voyage they didn't care one way of the other. I guess they figured everyone had already eaten.

Been doing it for years in many ports without any problems.

Consider the repercussions of bringing prohibited items ashore. If you are caught, at a minimum you will likely be taken to the ports naughty room for a stern talking to. This will quite likely take long enough that any tours will have left with out you. No refund. If you are going off on your own with others they are likely to be less than thrilled with the wait. They may go off without you.

Beyond that you may get a fine.

So if the next time you do this, please find this thread and tell us if you got caught or not. If you do get caught, I'm sure it would be interesting to hear about how you were treated for violating the local laws. Also please describe the cute doggie that flagged you.

I have noticed that customs, immigration and agriculture inspectors;

and law enforcement folks in general are a light-hearted, fun-loving

group.

I'm sure they would enjoy some clever banter about a hyper-literal

interpretation of their regulations and laws.

Hahahahaha! This is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time! :D

So if the next time you do this' date=' please find this thread and tell us if you got caught or not. If you do get caught, I'm sure it would be interesting to hear about how you were treated for violating the local laws. Also please describe the cute doggie that flagged you.[/quote']

No little doggies in the Caribbean.

We saw them collecting food in the morning in Cabo but they were only checking bags & pocketbooks. When we arrived in the afternoon on a return voyage they didn't care one way of the other. I guess they figured everyone had already eaten.

We saw a very unfriendly dog hit on a lady's case in Acapulco and shortly thereafter she was led away in handcuffs.

OK, not directed at me but here you go anyways.

Excerpts from here: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/kw/food%20restrictions/session/L3RpbWUvMTQyOTkwNDMxMy9zaWQvM3FoTHNIa20%3D

The following are generally admissible:

-Bread, cookies, crackers, cakes, granola bars, cereal and other baked and processed products

-Nuts- All nuts are allowed if they have been boiled, cooked, ground, oven dried, pureed, roasted, or steamed.

And for info, concentrate, puree, marmalade or jelly fruit is allowable as well. (source http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/manuals/ports/downloads/miscellaneous.pdf Table 3-134)

And always:

Failure to declare food products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties.

Of course, that U.S. Customs and Border Protection mob could have it all wrong too - although it looks the same as information from United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

The key line is You must declare all food products also note The following are generally admissible. That does not mean always admissible or that you do not have to declare them. Only that those will generally be approved after they have been declared.

I believe those are the Agriculture regulations for a normal port of entry where there is a normal customs and border inspection point and where you can declare foods products and they can make the determination.

It is a bit different for a dock that is not normally staffed with inspection personnel and there is no one to make the declaration to. That is why in those ports the rule is nothing that is not prepackaged or in some countries no food at all. The cruise ships bear the responsibility for informing their passengers and for compliance. That is why you get the notifications from the cruise ship about not taking any food off that is not commercially sealed or about no food at all allowed off of the ship.

In some countries the standard procedure is no normal checks, but sometimes do have spot checks. Other countries check fairly routinely (in New Zealand they actually brought a dog onto the ship and walked up and down past all of the passengers waiting to go down the gangway in two of the port stops, checking for food.

Edited by RDC1

Anything that's baked like danish, rolls with peanut butter & jelly, donuts, banana bread, etc.

Um,,,,NO!

It has to be prepackaged foods.

Alaska is very sensitive to their environment and impose heavy fines for law breakers.

Well, there are BIG doggies in Cozumel. Accompanied by BIG dudes with guns.

I was going to say that too. I just didn't want to provoke an argument

about whether a stop on a 'Western Carribbean Cruise' was actually

in the Caribbean.

I was in Cozumel twice this winter, and each time, they stopped everyone

leaving the ship carrying a bag of any sort, and had the dogs sniff the bag.

As I didn't have any clever banter ready, I simply didn't bring any food

with me.

I was going to say that too. I just didn't want to provoke an argument

about whether a stop on a 'Western Carribbean Cruise' was actually

in the Caribbean.

I was in Cozumel twice this winter, and each time, they stopped everyone

leaving the ship carrying a bag of any sort, and had the dogs sniff the bag.

As I didn't have any clever banter ready, I simply didn't bring any food

with me.

LOL Good point about the argument and wise choice on avoiding the clever banter. they didn't look very receptive. :p

The OP wanted to know about getting lunch for a shore tour in Alaska, and I think most people here have given good advice about how to handle that situation. The rest of it includes an Australian, who (understandably) does not understand the jurisdictional details among states and the federal government, and who cites a U.S. Customs document as evidence. Beyond that, I think there is some outright trolling going on here, and I look forward to her 100th post, figuring it might be something extra special. :p

It does seem that the simplest thing to do is to disembark from the ship, purchase a snack or whatever on shore, then take the excursion. I find it usually simplifies most things greatly to just follow the rules and laws. It's so easy to do and can avoid so very many problems and unpleasant circumstances.

It does seem that the simplest thing to do is to disembark from the ship, purchase a snack or whatever on shore, then take the excursion. I find it usually simplifies most things greatly to just follow the rules and laws. It's so easy to do and can avoid so very many problems and unpleasant circumstances.

Aw, but then you can't meet the nice doggies.:D

Just print out a post from cruisecritic saying it is ok,

and if anyone stops you, show them the post.