Bag Lunch, Crown Princess Alaska

cruisinpoler

Even with Princess excursions where they don't have time to stop at a restaurant or snack bar, they bring on sealed food on the bus. Had that experience some years ago on an excursion to Tulum from Cozumel. We all got bagged lunch with canned tuna, wrapped crackers and cookies and a water.

On my last stop in Cozumel I got off the ship with coffee in a paper cup, no problem

Once again, you're comparing apples and oranges. These are NOT the cruise lines regulations but the laws of the receiving country. Mexico may very well have less stringent rules about it than Alaska/U.S. and/or Canada.

Also, when you get boxed lunches on ship excursions, they don't always bring the food from the ship - sometimes it comes from a local supplier (it may look like your standard "American" food but it's because the cruise lines have their own suppliers in ports for stuff like that).

Even with Princess excursions where they don't have time to stop at a restaurant or snack bar, they bring on sealed food on the bus. Had that experience some years ago on an excursion to Tulum from Cozumel. We all got bagged lunch with canned tuna, wrapped crackers and cookies and a water.

On my last stop in Cozumel I got off the ship with coffee in a paper cup, no problem

The Tuna was probably in a sealed can. The crackers and cookies probably pre package. The water isn't an issue.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

The Tuna was probably in a sealed can. The crackers and cookies probably pre package. The water isn't an issue.

Good idea

Bumblebee(?) makes little lunch packs. Some are all made up, others have mayo and pickle relish packaged separately

When I did Tulum with Princess several years ago, the tour operator provided the snacks, not the ship.

Anything that's baked like danish, rolls with peanut butter & jelly, donuts, banana bread, etc.
I assume you're kidding since anything that is not in a manufacturer's sealed package is against the law to bring into the U.S. They are very serious about it. I once saw a woman being led away by USDA agents for having an apple in her carry-on she'd forgotten about.

Pam, so if on my Canada cruise I had my own hot chocolate in its package I could bring hot water off the ship in the to go cup and then once on land open my hot cocoa packet and mix?

Yes but why would you? Why not buy hot chocolate ashore and support the local merchants.

Yes but why would you? Why not buy hot chocolate ashore and support the local merchants.

Oh believe me, I have already found several local places we are going to get local hot chocolate. But I tend to run cold so I thought if I could start off the day outside with my own hot chocolate to get me warmed up while we wandered around seeing sights as we do tend to get off ship early before stores open. In Quebec I have found 3 local places that have gourmet hot chocolate, chocolate pieces/candy and gelato. Despite it being cold DH cant wait to try the gelato as it is something we found on our last cruise and we love it. There are 2, 1 in the upper city and one in the lower part and then one over near Montmorency falls that looked yummy. In Ville Saguenay we found a place called o gelato & cacao that looks to die for. We also found another place in Perce when we stop in Gaspe that looked yummy online...dont remember that ones name. We try to try local stuff when we can...one thing I am looking forward to trying in Quebec is Poutine (sp?)...never had it but looks interesting. :D

Just select items from the buffet that don't violate the restrictions. There's plenty to pick from that will keep you till dinner.

Bring zip lock bags.

There is not anything in the buffet that does not violate the laws. The only thing that does not is, as other have indicated, prepackaged, sealed items like candy bars and other commercially processed and sealed items. The retail store sells things that would qualify, but nothing in the buffet would.

There is not anything in the buffet that does not violate the laws. The only thing that does not is, as other have indicated, prepackaged, sealed items like candy bars and other commercially processed and sealed items. The retail store sells things that would qualify, but nothing in the buffet would.

Cold sealed cereal boxes don't violate the law. We always picked up a couple of boxes every morning.

I'm aussie and never been to USA, so what do I know.

So I would look at something like this here : https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/kw/food%20restrictions/session/L3RpbWUvMTQyOTkwNDMxMy9zaWQvM3FoTHNIa20%3D

Pretty much gives details on every food stuff out there. But in any case, it also says if you have any food products, it MUST be declared. Guess by declaring it, gives the authorities the final decision on what is ok and what is destroyed.

The U.S. is not unique in protecting its agriculture. You're probably aware of how strict New Zealand is with anything carried into the country. In Chile, they line you up and have you put everything on the ground after disembarking. Soldiers with big German shepherds as well as others carrying big a** guns walk slowly along the line to give the dogs a chance to sniff everything.

Anyone carrying any unsealed foodstuff or plant material off the ship could find themselves in a situation they don't want to be in. Encouraging others to violate or "get away with it" is doing them a disservice.

So I would look at something like this here : https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/kw/food%20restrictions/session/L3RpbWUvMTQyOTkwNDMxMy9zaWQvM3FoTHNIa20%3D

Pretty much gives details on every food stuff out there. But in any case, it also says if you have any food products, it MUST be declared. Guess by declaring it, gives the authorities the final decision on what is ok and what is destroyed.

That's the Federal regulations. Each state/territory also has its own regs.

California is particularly strict. We have AG checks on several of our freeways into the state.

Cold sealed cereal boxes don't violate the law. We always picked up a couple of boxes every morning.

I haven't seen those on my last couple of cruises...I'm sure some ships still have them, but they are in the minority (it's a cost-saving measure...pre-packaged cereals have to be "brand names").

Edited by Illyria

When going ashore for the day there are no immigration forms to fill out so there is no opportunity to declare food you might be carrying. Don't take anything.

I suppose if someone was desperate (or maybe diabetic) they could take some of the sugar mint lollies they have in the dining room. I don't think that would be a problem.

Not even these items are not allowed. It's from a source outside of Alaska. The same applies in Canada as well.

Oh well. I packed items such as those & got by without any problems- including cereal.

Edited by Miss Pat

Also, for those shipping their salmon home..... my DH and SIL went fishing they were having fun, and well they are guys with selective hearing, so they didn't pay attention to the cost of shipping that salmon home. Now that's a YIKE!

Sorry, for the off-topic: Most of the guys on my husband's boat didn't want to pay for shipping so they gave him their fish. We had a lot of salmon!:D DH will be salmon and halibut fishing this year. Hoping it works out for us again!:cool:

The U.S. is not unique in protecting its agriculture. You're probably aware of how strict New Zealand is with anything carried into the country. In Chile, they line you up and have you put everything on the ground after disembarking. Soldiers with big German shepherds as well as others carrying big a** guns walk slowly along the line to give the dogs a chance to sniff everything.

Anyone carrying any unsealed foodstuff or plant material off the ship could find themselves in a situation they don't want to be in. Encouraging others to violate or "get away with it" is doing them a disservice.

Excuse me? Maybe you should reread what I wrote! I think you completely misunderstood. And I certainly never encouraged anyone to violate or get away with anything!

I was not sure of the answer (cause I have not been there, done that) but was suggesting that instead of guessing (which by the different answers to the same topic indicates as much), why don't people do a little internet research to find out for sure.

Which is what I did do and why I linked this page I found from U.S. Customs and Border Protection regarding what is legal and allowable, and what is not as far as types of food international travellers are allowed to bring into the USA. And I pointed out that irrespective of whether you think the food item is allowable or not, it still needed to be declared anyway.

So where did I encourage someone to try and get away with it?

Or if you like, try this page from United States Department of Agriculture : http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aphis/resources/travelers-int/ct_generally_allowed_categories/!ut/p/a1/rVLNcpswGHyWHnLE-iwwyEccNwbHuD8ZT4wujFAEVoslRyghvH2F28mpDu5MddCMRrvSfruLKNojqtirrJmVWrFmONOwCFKCsQ84XU3jJcTwsNl-S-4ASOAAuQOsvyR4uhgAq88LSLd3m6_R_RrD_ezMv3Sdzf7wb1dxEkQbAAgIhnS5SJbRPANIw-v4cGHFMMZ_RBRRruzJHlDOTgfZFlwrK5QtGlkaZvobaFlhRKtfDBft-WQNexWNMDfAbVELJQxrmr5wm-7EU8GZFbU2UrTD4ycun1Bechb6PJh6Ia8iL8Ci8hjmvhcJ4sOcAZnPwxEzs9lYGOsr3MImu81qJ4vZgydVpdHeTSTdyEa9p_4-429_RhI-Az6K8Az4ICOnu2506X5-XCD6RpSfxIPWWJU-cVqNqIQRZnLQrUX7rusmtdZ1IyZcHyfsBeXOt-iyMRF6-Mcg1lfU_i9GjrXBseSP52cau8oNJXtz0_z_zp2Ou93uSPzeo7n38zvpN9V269Gy7-JPvwAurObZ/?1dmy&urile=wcm%3apath%3a%2Faphis_content_library%2Fsa_resources%2Fsa_traveler%2Fct_general_allowed_food_items Again for international travellers. Basically same information regards types of food allowable (or not) and again the fact " you must declare all food and agricultural products " whether you think it might be legal or not.

Now of course, I just assumed that the cruise would be considered an 'international cruise' (you know, USA to Canada, or vice versa) and therefore the passengers would be classed as international travellers. So are these cruises not international cruises? And the passengers are not international travellers?

Or is there some further specific regulation/law pertinent to these particular Alaskan cruises regards the taking of foodstuff off ships?

When going ashore for the day there are no immigration forms to fill out so there is no opportunity to declare food you might be carrying. Don't take anything.

I suppose if someone was desperate (or maybe diabetic) they could take some of the sugar mint lollies they have in the dining room. I don't think that would be a problem.

So there is no US federal government representatives at all at the (US) ports checking for anything? I never would have thought there would be no-one from the government there. Weird, especially these days.

Excuse me? Maybe you should reread what I wrote! I think you completely misunderstood. And I certainly never encouraged anyone to violate or get away with anything!

So where did I encourage someone to try and get away with it?

I apologize if I implied that you were encouraging someone to take food off the ship. That paragraph was in response to another poster. :( Mea culpa.

[quote name=GandM-nq;46369429...........

Or these cruises not international cruises? And the passengers are not international travellers?

Or is there some further specific regulation/law pertinent to these particular Alaskan cruises regards the taking of foodstuff off ships?

So there is no US federal government representatives at all at the (US) ports checking for anything? I never would have thought there would be no-one from the government there. Weird' date=' especially these days.[/quote]

The AG checks are usually done at the State level. Exception to this is international borders.