Bag Lunch, Crown Princess Alaska

cruisinpoler

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking a private very long 6 hour whale watching tour and was wondering if there is a quick place to pick up some items to eat/drink on our trip when we get off the boat somewhere around the pier. We do not care for the smoked salmon or salmon dip typically served nor do we care for granola bars which are also offered as an alternative.

We are taking a private very long 6 hour whale watching tour and was wondering if there is a quick place to pick up some items to eat/drink on our trip when we get off the boat somewhere around the pier. We do not care for the smoked salmon or salmon dip typically served nor do we care for granola bars which are also offered as an alternative.

Which port? (Cannot see the headers on the phone.)

I always take packaged cheese crackers and peanut butter crackers with us on tours. On a British Isles cruise we took a Princess tour where a guest in front of us ate a salad out of a ziplock with her fingers!!! Karen

I always take packaged cheese crackers and peanut butter crackers with us on tours. On a British Isles cruise we took a Princess tour where a guest in front of us ate a salad out of a ziplock with her fingers!!! Karen

We try to take a couple of packaged snacks with us too. ;)

Finger food.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also Australian .We have some of the world's strictest regulations regarding foodstuffs and almost any organic matter brought in from overseas. These restrictions may be tiresome for visitors but they are essential to protect our billion dollar plus food export industries from imported pests and diseases.

Therefore I can well understand the American and Canadian authorities taking a similarly hard line, especially with the numbers of people coming and going on cruise ships. Your apple or orange may seem harmless but what if everyone else did it too?

If another country welcomes us as guests surely it is not too much for them to ask us to respect their import restrictions? Just pay a handful of dollars for local food and drinks - it is a lot less hassle than running foul of customs and maybe copping a hefty fine.

They also use food sniffing dogs at some ports. A lady in front of us was at first impressed that the little doggie was so friendly. Came up to her and jumped gently at her waist- like he wanted a head scratch.

WRONG! He was a food sniffing dog. She had an apple in the bag strapped to her waist. She was so embarassed. Thought she could slide it right through the gate, but she was caught red-handed....um...red faced!

Edited by redtogo

Bring prepackaged snacks/crackers and cheese. Should be OK and all tide you over. Eat a full breakfast before you leave the ship.

Good idea and probably o.k. with customs so long as you declare it. However, I doubt anyone ever died of starvation between breakfast and lunchtime.:D

Bring prepackaged snacks/crackers and cheese. Should be OK and all tide you over. Eat a full breakfast before you leave the ship.

Depending on the countries custom laws, it may also be no cheese.

(Can't bring cheese into Australia)

I took that poster to mean the prepackaged crackers and "cheese" you can buy together. It's a shelf stable item that comes all sealed up.

Does not matter in Australia. No cheese no matter how it is packaged. No nuts, no matter how packaged.

I forget if it is Australia or New Zealand, but one of them allows no honey, not even in sealed unopened jars.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has actually been stopped in the Caribbean and what the consequences were? (excluding South American stops)

We have been once before and can only remember being greeted by steel drums and smiles!

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has actually been stopped in the Caribbean and what the consequences were? (excluding South American stops)

We have been once before and can only remember being greeted by steel drums and smiles!

I think there are some examples in this thread.

I think there are some examples in this thread.

I couldn't see any, only references to little doggies and the lady in front (who could have had a kilo of cocaine in her case) I'll look through again.

Thanks

If not, there are many other threads on the same topic with examples.

That said, Jamaica was a little lax (shocker) but on our PC cruise, there was a team of dogs with handlers and rifles in Limon and they checked EVERYONE. Anyone caught with produce or baked goods was pulled aside and had to discard it (saw that ourselves). We were told that if you gave them a hard time you got hit with a $40 fine, but we did not observe that happening ourselves.

I couldn't see any, only references to little doggies and the lady in front (who could have had a kilo of cocaine in her case) I'll look through again.

Thanks