Uniworld vs Scenic River Cruises

carefreecruise

We really enjoyed our Uniworld river cruise along the Rhine River, staying in the few exquisite suites that included butlers. We felt like we were on the Silversea Explore ship with all the included items and dining options. A couple of things are keeping us from booking our next river cruise with them and were going to try Scenic River cruise. Here is there link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCs_Yh2xXRo

We will try a Paris to Paris run with Scenic to see if those items can be mitigated. I realize this is an Australian company and most likely a good portion of the guest will be from that country but that should not bother us. On paper it looks a little closer to the way Silversea runs their small ship program and that’s what hooked us. Does anybody have any feedback with both river cruise lines?

I have booked and traveled with both - although, I can't compare to Silversea as I have not traveled with them (don't do big ships well due to seasickness....)

On our last trip with Scenic (we have done 2 so far) there was a pretty good mix of passengers. More Brits here than on any of our other river cruises.

Scenic is completely all-inclusive. They have multiple options for daily excursions, and there is never an up-charge for any of them. I believe that Uniworld still has some "optionals" that they charge for - even when they identify themselves as all inclusive.

The Paris to Paris itinerary is still relatively new for Scenic - where Uniworld will have that itinerary down pat. Not sure if this will affect your sailing, but wanted you to be aware of that.

We travel Aquarium class, so can't speak to the "suite with butler" experience, although all cabins on Scenic have a designated butler. The differences in the type of "butler support" depend on the category of cabin you book.

We really like the Uniworld product, but the move to "all inclusive" has pretty much moved them out of range for us. But - would absolutely travel with them again.

Scenic is more expensive up-front, but have found that there are some sales to be had if you watch, and book early. Would travel with them again as well.

Good Luck with your planning!!

Fran

Looks like Scenic is making a big marketing push in North America. Just got done with an online presentation with a monitor answering questions along the way. This Australian company has hired a new director to open-up marketing in new countries. They also have booked a lot of hotels on the west coast of the US to give face-to-face seminars. It all sounds fine so far, looking forward to making the comparison to Uniworld....

Did Scenic's presentation also include their subsidiary Emerald? Both lines seem very attractive for quality at a good price, but I'm still not completely sure about the differences between them.

Did Scenic's presentation also include their subsidiary Emerald? Both lines seem very attractive for quality at a good price, but I'm still not completely sure about the differences between them.

Yes he did, just mentioning that Emerald is a mass marketing type like Viking, with Scenic division doing the all inclusive upper scale cruises. I guess something like Seabourn and Holland Americans other ships....

In the past 2 years, we've done 2 cruises on Uniworld in their "deluxe" French balcony class--River Royale on the Rhone and Antoinette on the Rhine. Totally enjoyed both in all categories of concern. Fantastic quality. Have booked our first Scenic on the Danube onboard the new Jasper this August. Booked similar "deluxe" balcony category. No desire to spend more for "penthouse" cabins on any cruise ship as we are only in the cabin to sleep usually. Will post a brief review when we return. Looking forward to this cruise, especially the itinerary. Have not tried any other lines as we are relatively new to cruising, having only done a few others, most recently on the Oceania Marina from Amsterdam to Barcelona which was spectacular. Very interested in reading more reviews on the Scenic Jasper, but so far they've only just finished their maiden trip.

We did the first Paris to Paris with Scenic last year, it was superb apart from a slight hiccup at the start everything was just as one would expect from Scenic. I did a report on the all Scenic cruises forum as CC does not list Scenic Gem yet on its list of Scenic ships. Gem is slightly smaller than there other European cruise ships and will be until the new ship for the Douro is launched. The passenger mix was good obviously more Australians but that's no bad thing we have made many friends and their life attitude is superb as an American guest said you certainly know where you are with them. (Whoops nearly used a British expression there which would not have translated well across the world). On one excursion we were the only takers it was not cancelled so no bus but a car a personal tour guide and a member of Scenic staff learning the ropes. The butler situation is interesting on this cruise we hardly used ours but on previous cruises we have, they do tend to worry slightly if they are not used but they are unfailingly helpful and expert.

We have not cruised with Uniworld so cannot make a comparison but would definatly recommend Scenic.

CA

Edited by Canal archive
Context

I, too, attended the Scenic presentation yesterday. What I like about the Scenic ships over the Uniworld ships is that the decor is not as grandiose on Scenic. This is my own personal opinion.

I have been researching cruises to Normandy, and the Scenic Gem is small enough to dock in Honfleurs. I do not know if Uniworld's ship docks there. The cabins on the River Baroness are quite small, so that's why I have ruled out that ship.

I was impressed that Uniworld features a special evening out, and an afternoon cocktail hour at a special location (new this year, according to the presenter.) But, to be fair, I have not done a price comparison, so that will be a factor when I get down to choosing my river cruise.

and leave in 1 mo. Will post review.CC s was under section for river roll calls also look on search engine here. Read it and made me glad I picked this company AGAIN. Did Budapest to Bucharest last June and Scenic became my favorite line,after 11 others(with all major lines).

Like docking in Honfluer and not long bus rides.Plus ALL the other perks made me pick Scenic once more.

You DO GET WHAT you pay for.All the little extras too.

We did the first Paris to Paris with Scenic last year, it was superb apart from a slight hiccup at the start everything was just as one would expect from Scenic. I did a report on the all Scenic cruises forum as CC does not list Scenic Gem yet on its list of Scenic ships. CA

Yes please help us find your link to the Gem review. Hopefully CC will add the Gem to their drop-down list.

Found it!! Thanks CanalArchive, I have copied it and sent to my travel companions. We are going in September so I know all the "first cruise" kinks will have been worked out. It will be our second Scenic cruise and we are really looking forward to it.

I was interested in your comment about going to the American cemetry; that exact thought had crossed my mind. With the greater number of Canadian, Aussie and Brits onboard it would be nice to attend a Commonwealth cemetry (the biggest isn't always the best and I've heard the Canadian one is much more beautiful than the US one). Anyway it will be a moving experience either way.

Here is Canal Archive's review:

Scenic Gem – Gems of the Seine 1st French Cruise

Day 1 – We travelled to Paris by Eurostar and were collected by car from directly opposite the main entrance of the Gar de Nord along with four other passengers and transferred to the Hotel Scribe where we had been previously informed that we were to stay for one night as the ship would not be ready for us. As we booked in we were told that a provisional booking had been made for another night in case the ship was still not ready, not good. We were also handed a letter by the Scenic representatives there to say that we would not be docking in Honfleur as promised but in Le Havre, why was I not surprised. Our room was typical of a Paris hotel trying to be 5* compact and bijou. Before dinner we had what I suppose could be called a port talk with a difference firstly by one of the Senior Scenic executives from their Swiss office, basically he explained the transporting or towing of Scenic Gem from Holland to France, very interesting and the returning the ship to cruise status from being marinised was the reason for the only one (yippee) night in the hotel and that it was French bureaucracy that meant the change of dock, not a surprise. If any of you are interested in watching where your cruise ship is on Marine Traffic it was obvious that things were not as they should be. Although the Dutch authorities had stipulated a top speed of 7 knots the Gem had been towed at times at 9 knots due we told of the calm (for once) waters of the Channel. It was good that a senior person in the organisation conveyed these messages and did not leave it to someone lower down in the pecking order as it were, it put me in a much better mood and so decided this was my holiday and I intended to enjoy it, which I did, very much so.

Day 2 – Straight from the hotel we went on our first excursion our cases were taken straight to the ship which was moored at Port de Javel Bas about 2 miles from the Eiffel tower about 9 minutes drive depending on Paris traffic. Our choice was Versailles, it was very hot and I had been a bit concerned that being a Saturday and holiday time it would be crowded yes it was but going in by the group entrance and after a quirky start our tour guide who was very good we were fine he managed to steer us through with only a couple of traffic jams of the people variety. Then straight to the ship were we got our bearings and unpacked the Gem is lovely our cabin superb and another surprise we went on a glass topped river boat for dinner whilst cruising the Seine, I expect to give the chef and his team a bit more time to sort themselves out but nevertheless a good experience, back to the ship to sample the bar several of us stayed up late as we cruised out of Paris. The bar staff are excellent dry martinis superb and I noticed they had the brand of dry sherry I prefer (never seen it on other Scenic ships) the barman said do you prefer it chilled as I do he immediately placed a bottle in the fridge, set up for my aperitif for the rest of the cruise.

Day 3 – Les Andelys we chose the tour to Lyons la Foret a pretty little village and the cider tasting. Well the tasting or should I say the tour of the orchard was such good fun we were the second group to tour the orchard after first seeing the cider vats etc. the weather became a little over cast as we went out to the two trailers being towed behind a very ancient tractor sitting back to back and after ascertaining that the tractor was a 50 year old Massy of we set as the rain started I must say the weather was very hot and humid and got wetter huge drops of rain fell as we got faster and faster, it was the fastest tour of an orchard ever everyone laughing as our tour guide Ann Marie (more of her later) tried to explain things through our Taylor made devices what eventually cracked us all up was ‘the taller trees are so that the cows can graze under them and the shorter ones they cannot’ I think it lost a little in the translation. On our speedy return to the tasting barn all of the Scenic staff, guides, cruise director and a couple of others were so concerned that we had got cold etc., but no it was so hot we were already drying off had never been in any danger and were still laughing. On our return to the ship we were handed warm towels and a hot drink a really nice thought but not necessary a short stop at the bar for a coffee or other libation was all that was needed. The group that went to Castle Galliard had a rare treat as there was a re-enactment group at the castle, swords, long-bows and costumes. Six of us at dinner this evening decided to book La Amour

Day 4 – Rouen, we chose the walking tour, note if you are there on a Monday morning the Cathedral is closed for cleaning but as we were moored so close a quick walk in the afternoon would work. Our tour guide was Ann Marie she was delightful a bit of an air head if you can say that about someone who speaks English so well very talkative and always concerned for your welfare pointing out dodgy walking areas steps etc and if she has lost anyone, she didn’t. We learnt so much about the history and everything else about Rouen we nearly went into overload but it was very interesting and done in an exceptional way. The group that went to the pastry institute had a wonderful time and came away with recipes and very sweet teeth. In the afternoon we snoozed on the sun deck apart from the evening our first down time.

Day 5 – Our rest the day before was a good idea as we had chosen the trip to the Somme for our excursion today, in the paperwork we received before the cruise Scenic had warned us that this would be a long day we left early 8.00 and it was quite a coach journey we had all been given poppies to place on graves if we wished, a few people who did not want to do the trip asked me to place poppies for them (so very, very moving). We first went to the National Australian Memorial in Villers-Bretoneaux the day was overcast which made it even more thought provoking it is higher than the surrounding area and I suppose because of the weather very bleak. We then went to a nearby school that is supported by and Australian State (sorry cannot remember which one) here there is a very good museum, note go to the end of the museum first as there is a continuous film running I only managed to see a bit as I had run out of time but those who saw it said it was very good. We then went for lunch at an excellent restaurant 3 course typical French, some complained that it was to long and could have been shorter maybe a buffet, I suppose it did make the day longer. We then went to Thiepval the British/French Memorial what a place it was designed by Lutyens it sits on a hill and is there as if he meant it never to move. Again poppies it was very difficult to keep a stiff upper lip at both of these places but I am so glad I went.

Day 6 – Cruise to Le Havre when we reached the Pont de Tancarville we left the Seine and onto a canal as we entered the last lock before mooring up the upper gate failed the weather was very good the cruise director (more of her later) announced that if they could not fix it in time the buses would pick us up from the lock side so and interested large group of passengers gathered on the foredeck liberally supplied with libations from the excellent bar staff to watch operations, soon a group of maintenance staff arrived to decide what was wrong along with our French captain ( we seemed to have two the other was Dutch and much more in tune with the passengers) and as the road across the lock was closed with the traffic diverted, on the other side a group of French police. I just thought it serves the French right for not letting us dock in Honfleur. Well after much discussion and disappearing down holes they found that a steel hawser had broken, it took about two hours but it got mended to cheers from the passenger audience, bowing from the maintenance crew and smiles! from the police we then proceeded around the corner to our docking position. Then our excursion to Honfleur beautiful a hot day an excellent guide a cider by the inner harbour to watch the world go by the only thing to have been better was to have docked there. It was about half an hour by bus and as we went over the Pont de Normandy and the Seine estuary it brought home what we had missed, although I am still having a really good time. Scenic put on a coach for anyone who wanted to return to Honfleur in the evening but as there was a really excellent swing band on board we decided not to go. By the way Le Havre has certainly cleaned up since I was last there.

Day 7 – Normandy beaches day, another early start, as we weren’t in Honfleur made an hour longer. I hope that this day will be sorted by the time anyone else does the trip and that they learn. Buses on route do a slow pass by some of the beaches not good if you’re on the other side of the bus. We got to Arromanches to see the museum which was a bit of a farce the organisation could have been much better but the film about the Mulberry Harbours was fascinating we had quite a bit of free time there a we bit to much I think. Then onto Pont de Hoc, note if you are a little unsafe on your pins or the weather is a tad inclement be careful, it is very interesting but very exposed. Then onto lunch another excellent restaurant and typical 3 course meal, one lovely surprise a couple, Canadian had an very good reason to visit the British/Canadian Cemetery and we had not seen them all morning but they joined us for lunch Scenic had taken them there by taxi, wonderful. We then went to the American Cemetery, large, immaculate and very moving there was a veteran there with a huge audience of youngsters hanging on to his every word. I must say though the facilities there left an awful lot to be desired. At this point I would like to say that I wish Scenic had looked at the demographic of their customers there were four Americans in this cruise out of 110 mostly Australians and Canadians with about 20 British, changing the places visited would not have taken a lot of work and I was told the only reason we went to the American Cemetery was because it was the largest also I think because Scenic is pushing in the USA don’t get me wrong I still placed 6 poppies and took pictures of each one I placed. By the time we reached the ship there was no time to change for dinner but as most of us had the same problem it did not matter.

Day 8 – Caudebec-en-Caux we chose to visit the textile museum at Bolbec went to find the bus and found we were the only two going evidently two others were and changed their mind (was it something we said?). So us two, Ann Marie our guide and the Scenic trainee cruise director plus driver in a Mercedes set off. If you’re interested in old machinery and textiles do go it was a fascinating experience some of the machinery was from the late 1800s and still working. In the afternoon we cruised to Vernon and Ann Marie explained all about the Normandy farming and way of life which again I was unsure of but turned out to be quite interesting and absorbing. I must point out that our American contingent did not seem to mix very well at all and kept themselves to themselves but during the talk one of them decided to take a business call at the back of the lounge, now we all know that he does not trust someone etc it took a wonderful Australian to point out to him the error of his ways, politely and he removed himself.

Day 9 – Vernon another early start but not to far to go as we chose Giverney, I had thought again, the time of year and a Saturday would make for large crowds but getting to Monet’s house early ensured a quite time to start and even pictures of that bridge with no one in the frame. It was beautiful the gardens and the house no wonder he was inspired. When we left the line waiting was quite long after a few of us had a coffee at our leisure we returned to the ship to prepare for the evening concert. Another slight hiccup with the bus as we sailed passed the entrance so had to find a turn and make our way back, talk about tight squeeze, not much gap between bus and gate posts but we made it without a scratch. Nibbles and bubbly on the terrace of the slightly run down Chateaux to start then a excellent string quartet, they played all well known classics a foot tapping hand clapping time in a very hot elegant room was over to soon. so another squeeze through the gates and back to the ship, quite a few people dressed up a tad and most of the men who wore sports jackets removed them because of the heat.

Day 10 – Conflans we chose to go to Auvers-sur-Oise, Van Gogh’s last home. Here is one of the reasons we did not think our Cruise director was nearly as good as the ones we have had before. At the previous nights port talk she waxed lyrical about Chantilly castle and then said that on the Van Gogh trip we would only see his small room with nothing in it, 30 people booked for this visit and only 15 went including her. The trip was superb our guide was very good and her English and knowledge excellent. we first went to see a marvellous statue of the man himself then to the church that he painted on to the fields where he took his life and to the cemetery where he is buried next to his brother. We then went to the restaurant where he had a room but before seeing it there is an excellent film about him which goes a long way to explaining his troubled mind and life something not to be missed we then looked at his room on its own nothing at all but when you know the background, everything. After we had a wonder round, there are interpretive boards around the village by the sites that he painted with an image of the painting included. We had a beer and then back to the bus where everyone asked our Cruise Director whether she had changed her mind or not, she actually admitted that she had and would now recommend the excursion. this evening we cruised into Paris whilst having the farewell dinner and as we did not have a crew show we had a crew disco, not that interesting but it was a bit of fun guessing who was dressed up, they did look so different out of uniform.

Day 11 – Return home by Eurostar the station was very busy but as the previous day the Tour de France ended in Paris it was not a surprise.

During the cruise the hotel manager did a lesson in napkin folding and Crepe Suzette making he has excellent presentation skills and his staff could not be faulted, I thought I had seen every form of towel figures but never expected ET on the bed. Our cabin was serviced at least twice a day and there was never anything that was not replaced. The food was excellent there was only one meat at a meal I was not happy with and they changed it immediately, the choice of wine was quite varied and not only French the attention of the staff at all meals was unobtrusive but professional you could always catch someone’s eye if required, non of this of its not my table. The bar staff went above and beyond to the extent that I had to take a photograph of one member as one of our new friends said if she couldn’t put him in her handbag she must have a picture, duly sent. Even the maritime crew surpassed those on other cruises as the language skills seemed to be a bit better in fact one of them who had previously been on the southern France cruise waxed so lyrical about it we decided to book for next year. The only niggle was that this was an all inclusive cruise and the night and food in the hotel although of course paid for by Scenic anything extra was not but again Scenic came up trumps and this hiccup has been fully resolved. Along with the map of the Seine you receive with your paperwork there will also be a book in your cabin explaing all the sites visited by Scenic in France. Regardless of the challenges thrown up by a first cruise we really enjoyed ourselves. Sorry this is so long but so much to say and not listing for Scenic Gem on the review page so could not put it there.:)

There is a way to put a link to a single post: find the post, click on the link in the upper right (it's the post number) and then it will open the single post in a window. Copy and past the link like this.

Edited by jpalbny

When we did our Paris/Normandy tour with Uniworld, the Normandy excursion offered was all US based. Another couple on our cruise (also Canadians) asked about Juno Beach - and our CD arranged a "private" excursion for 6 of us.

We were docked in Rouen - so a fairly long bus ride. All people taking the Juno Beach excursion were asked to get on the same bus, and when we drove into the Juno Beach lot (all buses went by...) our driver stopped and let us - and the CD - out. We walked on Juno Beach, and then spend some time in the Juno Beach Centre. We would have liked more time - but it was nice to get the time we did...

A mini-van picked us up, and we then went to the Canadian Cemetary at Benys-sur-Mer. A simple cemetery - lovingly tended by the locals. Our CD was there as a guide for us.

When we left there - we joined the rest of the tour at Arromanches. We didn't see Arromanches (as the rest had already done their visit) but did see the American Cemetery, and Point du Hoc.

Our cost? Our CD paid for everything along the way (entry into the Museum at Juno, the mini-van etc) and then just split the cost among all the people who went. I think we ended up paying about 25 euros/pp. Well worth the cost.

I learned there that it is worth asking for things outside the itinerary - not always possible, but not always impossible either.

Fran

When we did our Paris/Normandy tour with Uniworld, the Normandy excursion offered was all US based. Another couple on our cruise (also Canadians) asked about Juno Beach - and our CD arranged a "private" excursion for 6 of us.

We were docked in Rouen - so a fairly long bus ride. All people taking the Juno Beach excursion were asked to get on the same bus, and when we drove into the Juno Beach lot (all buses went by...) our driver stopped and let us - and the CD - out. We walked on Juno Beach, and then spend some time in the Juno Beach Centre. We would have liked more time - but it was nice to get the time we did...

A mini-van picked us up, and we then went to the Canadian Cemetary at Benys-sur-Mer. A simple cemetery - lovingly tended by the locals. Our CD was there as a guide for us.

When we left there - we joined the rest of the tour at Arromanches. We didn't see Arromanches (as the rest had already done their visit) but did see the American Cemetery, and Point du Hoc.

Our cost? Our CD paid for everything along the way (entry into the Museum at Juno, the mini-van etc) and then just split the cost among all the people who went. I think we ended up paying about 25 euros/pp. Well worth the cost.

I learned there that it is worth asking for things outside the itinerary - not always possible, but not always impossible either.

Fran

Thanks Fran - I might have to ask when we get onboard!

Fran

Thanks for posting that. It probably never would have occurred to me to ask about a tour outside the published ones. That may come in handy for our trip!

In the past 2 years, we've done 2 cruises on Uniworld in their "deluxe" French balcony class--River Royale on the Rhone and Antoinette on the Rhine. Totally enjoyed both in all categories of concern. Fantastic quality. Have booked our first Scenic on the Danube onboard the new Jasper this August. Booked similar "deluxe" balcony category. No desire to spend more for "penthouse" cabins on any cruise ship as we are only in the cabin to sleep usually. Will post a brief review when we return. Looking forward to this cruise, especially the itinerary. Have not tried any other lines as we are relatively new to cruising, having only done a few others, most recently on the Oceania Marina from Amsterdam to Barcelona which was spectacular. Very interested in reading more reviews on the Scenic Jasper, but so far they've only just finished their maiden trip.

I am also booked on the Jasper this August, August 24 Budapest to Nuremburg. Which cruise are you on?

Jeb_bud-- we are on the Prague to Budapest trip from July 31-Aug 12. This includes 3 nights post-cruise in Prague as part of the Scenic package and 2 nights on our own in Budapest post-. Thought we might has well make the most of being in the neighborhood in these two cities as we may not see them again. Plus we get to spend our 45th anniversary in Prague--really looking forward to this entire trip!! Enjoy your cruise!