Is Nassau really that bad?

bogofman

Will be stopping at Nassau next year on a repo, is Nassau really as bad as most suggest?

I keep seeing " I won't be getting off at Nassau" comments

is it really that bad?

why keep going on cruises to Nassau? if that's the case.

We don't find it bad at all. We've been there many times, go to some nice places to eat, and still find some interesting touring to do. Recently did the John Watling's rum distillery tour.

Not to us, we like Nassua a lot. It is just small enough that you are able to get off the boat and walk around. You can almost see everything on your own or in walking distance.

I have a walking tour of nassua in another post. I will look for it and repost.

Get off the boat and do some nice and leisurely exploring.

Nassau has its problems as do other ports. One must be safety conscious.

We have always booked excursions there- away from the pier. We have done many ship's excursions (Blue Lagoon, Atlantis to name a few) and have also taken van cabs to Cable Beach and other sites. We like the van cabs as there is safety in numbers.

We have walked to the British Colonial Hilton during the day in a group of three and do not go out in Nassau at night.

We have been to Nassau many times and have not stayed on the ship (except at night), but we have been fortunate to have had good Nassau excursions.

Edited by cruiseapril

Nassau isn't that bad, really. It's certainly not our favorite, because it isn't as nice to just wander around as Cozumel, and it's not as relaxing as a typical beach port like Grand Cayman. It seems like a "filler" port to me. When we stop for 12 hours on our May 8th Enchantment cruise we'll probably get off for an hour or two and see if any shopping interests us, but we'll mostly enjoy our drink package and already-paid-for-food on the ship that day.

Thanks for the link to the walking tour, stored :-)

I assume its safe walking around?

that's another theme that everyone talks about

We won't have any valuables/money with us apart from a camera.

and phone which will not be on display in our Ruck sacks

we never stop and buy from street sellers (in Europe) so hopefully they won't bother us.

Nassau isn't that bad, really. It's certainly not our favorite, because it isn't as nice to just wander around as Cozumel, and it's not as relaxing as a typical beach port like Grand Cayman. It seems like a "filler" port to me. When we stop for 12 hours on our May 8th Enchantment cruise we'll probably get off for an hour or two and see if any shopping interests us, but we'll mostly enjoy our drink package and already-paid-for-food on the ship that day.

Said perfectly![emoji267]

We have been all over on a bus, water taxi, and walking etc. never a problem except some one trying to sell us drugs on the beach if walking back from the FISH FRY area. Nassau is what it is, a foreign country not your local city or town and as other have said, NO NIGHT STUFF, watch if you go into marginal areas (hard to tell which ones might be marginal) anything within walking distance of the port is generally OK. Still trying to find Anna Nicole Smith grave.

My biggest complaint is the prices of eating lunch and a beer($7+) and a bowl of Conch chowder is $10 or so.

we never stop and buy from street sellers (in Europe) so hopefully they won't bother us.

We have not felt unsafe in Nassau, but we are there during the daytime and stay in the well-traveled tourist areas.

I completely agree with all previous reponses. We have gone a couple of times and enjoyed it each time. I never felt "unsafe" or anything. Like other poster said, just be safety conscious no matter where you are.

Our first time there we did a snorkel excursion. Our second visit we did the self guided walking tour and saw the Queen's Staircase (beautiful) and other historical buildings. Finished off the day at Senior Frogs for a cold pina colada. I loved walking along the water and seeing the boats coming in with their catches of the day and the locals selling pieces of their own craftmanship.

It's all in what you make of it! I'll put it this way, my mother is literally scared of EVERYTHING. It was a feat just getting her to agree to go on a cruise at all. Well, when we docked in Nassau and got off the ship, she was already out meandering throughout the town!

We'd tend to agree.

Nassau has a few places worth seeing (once), but overall...we'd agree with your "filler port" comment...it's a place that has limited appeal and options.

Even Coco Cay (similar to RCI's Labadee private port) has more to offer, although once you've been to either place...returning is not important on future cruises. Since RCI made significant investments in both of those places, they'll likely look to leverage them among itineraries for several more years.

It's not that it's a "bad" port but it's a "common" port ... lots of Eastern Caribbean cruises stop there as well as most of the 3-4 nighters out of Florida. Most people who have taken a cruise out of Florida have probably been to Nassau before and those who cruise a lot out of Florida have probably been to Nassau a lot.

It's funny ... my complaint about the Quantum inaugural cruise was that it "only" went to Florida and Nassau. People who were not cruisers were shocked, saying ... The Bahamas! Awesome! It was a good wake up call about being cruise jaded. :)

So What gave Nassau a bad reputation? Bob. Just curious because i always see these comments and we have been considering an 8 day with Nassau as one of the stops. As always thanks for the response. Dan

A few years back there was a armed stop, and some shooting of one of those small buses(Jitneys?) you see filled with tourists, but really other then that Nassau is safe in the tourist areas, and far safer then Belize(dump)or Falmouth(another dump outside the port).:D

Biggest negative would be if the port is full, it gets crowded.

Edited by American Bear

It's not that it's a "bad" port but it's a "common" port ... lots of Eastern Caribbean cruises stop there as well as most of the 3-4 nighters out of Florida. Most people who have taken a cruise out of Florida have probably been to Nassau before and those who cruise a lot out of Florida have probably been to Nassau a lot.

It's funny ... my complaint about the Quantum inaugural cruise was that it "only" went to Florida and Nassau. People who were not cruisers were shocked, saying ... The Bahamas! Awesome! It was a good wake up call about being cruise jaded. :)

Been to Nassau 17 times more or less. Often stay on ship just to enjoy the relaxation factor. We did get off this last time in search of this. Now on a quest to find more.

1430234334211.jpg.7d45c63c13fd48413001a4c88f852422.jpg

Typical of any Caribbean trouble, someone says give me, you give, and they go away!:D

The problem with Nassau for most of us is familiarity breeds contempt.

I've been to Nassau more times than I can count, land based vacations, conferences and cruise stop. We have done the bus tour, car rental, horse drawn buggy, walking tour and excursions. At this point, we stay mostly on the ship unless there is something I want to get from the linen shop.

Been to Nassau one time and in the camp where I wouldn't get off the ship again, unless I had a scheduled tour/activity. We took one of those self-guided walking tours and abandoned it halfway through due to it taking us too far from the tourist area and feeling unsafe. The tourist area was miserable as well, so many pushy vendors, people were chasing me down the street and trying physically put their hands on us to get us to stop.

The problem with Nassau for most of us is familiarity breeds contempt.

I've been to Nassau more times than I can count, land based vacations, conferences and cruise stop. We have done the bus tour, car rental, horse drawn buggy, walking tour and excursions. At this point, we stay mostly on the ship unless there is something I want to get from the linen shop.

I agree. To us, I don't think Nassau is that bad as much as it's just not that good.

The tourist area was miserable as well, so many pushy vendors, people were chasing me down the street and trying physically put their hands on us to get us to stop.

Ditto all of this ^^^^. I dont appreciate young girls running up to me draping their junk around my neck and then adults crowding my space and DEMANDING i pay her for it. :mad: And this is the main reason I hate Nassau. Been there once with no desire to go back again. I will enjoy Allure and all she has to offer that day.

All I do at the ports is get off the ship for a few hours and look around just to say Ive been there. Nassau was NOT a comfortable place to do this.

Edited by ryano

Not our Favorite Port , but in March we went to Breezes Hotel and did the AI and had a blast. We are in our 50's it was so laid back the pool was great the drinks were great, They had a nice BBQ lunch. Would do it again if we ever end up there . Plus it was spring break so lots of kids there and it was still fun.

We have also been to Nassau many times, and now we often just stay on the ship unless we are looking for something in particular, the last time we were in Nassau we had the grand kids with us and walked around the tourist area without any issues.

As with any other city/country you travel to be aware of your surroundings, don't flash valuables/cash and you will be fine.