Travel Reading Light for Verandah

sail7seas

I know neighbors sometimes do not want the light on the verandah at night but sometimes I like to read out there. Can anyone recommend a travel reading light I can use on the verandah that won't disturb my cruise neighbors?

Thanks.

I know neighbors sometimes do not want the light on the verandah at night but sometimes I like to read out there. Can anyone recommend a travel reading light I can use on the verandah that won't disturb my cruise neighbors?

Thanks.

Hi Sails!

I bought one for my husband at Barnes and Noble. It actually clips on to his book, and he also enjoys reading on the verandah at nite listening to the ocean.I am so sorry I do not know the name. It is Brite for your reading pleasure, and does not disturb neighbors. Maybe getting online will help!

So enjoy your cruise coming up Sails.

Denise

I found the AAA battery light was too heavy and kept slipping off my book. I bought one from Travel Smith - flexible fiber optic LED and coin battery, very compact as the fiber optic wraps around the disk-like clip holder for storage; when in use you unwind the cable and clip the base on the book. Excellent light for older eyes :).

Sounds like you're getting ready to travel!! Glad to hear it!! Enjoy, m--

I have a GE LED book light comes in pink or blue. I purchased at Walmart, can also be found online at Amazon. It flips open and uses 2 aaa batteries. I think it has like 8-10,000 hr LED bulb. It is compact, but bright!!

Thanks for that tip, I'll be looking at Walmart.

Lorie

Great suggestions. Thanks for the help.

Maureen, I Appreciate the comment about the weight of the light. I would not have thought of that.

Edited by sail7seas

I am an avid reader, who has gone through multiple reading lights over the years. I resisted change for a very long tine but my daughter purchased me a Kindle this year. With a leather like case it has the heft and feel of a small volume. In addition to all the the other advantages ( such as carrying multiple books with no extra weight) it also has a built in backlight so that I can even adjust the brightness. Having resisted vehemently I am now a true convert. This is another option to resolve your problem.

I am an avid reader, who has gone through multiple reading lights over the years. I resisted change for a very long tine but my daughter purchased me a Kindle this year. With a leather like case it has the heft and feel of a small volume. In addition to all the the other advantages ( such as carrying multiple books with no extra weight) it also has a built in backlight so that I can even adjust the brightness. Having resisted vehemently I am now a true convert. This is another option to resolve your problem.

No thanks.

I started this thread looking for a reading light.....

not an electronic reader. ;) Most of us have seen them, know they exist and

make our own choices. :)

No thanks.

I'm with you on that Sail.. I have a Kindle & don't like it & don't use it.. I would rather hold a book.. Prefer hardcovers, but also have some pocket ones..

I read in bed a lot & the Led book light which is attached to the main light on my side of the bed went haywire.. It blinks on & off as it has a short in it,...The main light would keep DH awake, so I ordered a LED book light from Amazon which takes two batteries...I haven't received it yet, but liked that it also had an AC attachment which I can plug in.. I'll let you know if it works when I get it..

Edited by serendipity1499

I'm with you on that Sail.. I have a Kindle & don't like it & don't use it.. I would rather hold a book.. Prefer hardcovers, but also have some pocket ones..

I read in bed a lot & the Led book light which is attached to the main light on my side of the bed went haywire.. It blinks on & off as it has a short in it,...The main light would keep DH awake, so I ordered a LED book light from Amazon which takes two batteries...I haven't received it yet, but liked that it also had an AC attachment which I can plug in.. I'll let you know if it works when I get it..

This I am interested in.

Awaiting your report.

No thanks.

Neither my DH or I are interested in the Kindles or Nooks.

We like real books to hold.

Neither my DH or I are interested in the Kindles or Nooks.

We like real books to hold.

I understand entirely and so did I. However, having resisted for many years my daughter bought me it anyway. Now I can't imagine why I fought it. I have a leather binding in the shape of a book and it feels like a book to hold. The advantages though, include all of the little things I never thought about, as well as the obvious. If I come across a word that I am not familiar with or not 100% sure about I just touch the word and the dictionary opens at that word instantly. And if it's not a word but a name or a person it opens Wikipedia ( providing I have internet access) and there is all the information I need. Those features mean a lot to me and I knew nothing about them.

I am repurchasing a lifetime of collected paperbacks by favourite authors in digital form, rereading and enjoying them again, passing the originals to friends and slowly clearing bookshelf space in preparation for downsizing on retirement.

I do understand though because I've been there and done that.

I am an SLR camera user and I insisted on film and fought digital too. Again when I gave in I couldn't see why and I can't ever imagine going back.

I also recognize that this was a post about reading lights and the introduction of the Kindle was not to hijack things but specifically to address the specific concern raised. I have used many reading lights and found that the battery pack on some was far too heavy, plug in ones to be far too limiting as to where you can read and the other LED one I had worked well but would fall out of the book too easily, especially as you got to the end , where there were not as many pages to secure it, especially in a flimsy paperback. The bracket can damage hardbacks, if you like to keep your books pristine. I've never used a camping headlight but that would work well, especially as I don't have to worry about ruffling my hair.

Thanks for the suggestion but that's a bit more 'heavy duty' than something I am seeking. That band would likely give me a headache. :eek:

I understand entirely and so did I. However, having resisted for many years my daughter bought me it anyway. Now I can't imagine why I fought it. I have a leather binding in the shape of a book and it feels like a book to hold. The advantages though, include all of the little things I never thought about, as well as the obvious. If I come across a word that I am not familiar with or not 100% sure about I just touch the word and the dictionary opens at that word instantly. And if it's not a word but a name or a person it opens Wikipedia ( providing I have internet access) and there is all the information I need. Those features mean a lot to me and I knew nothing about them.

I am repurchasing a lifetime of collected paperbacks by favourite authors in digital form, rereading and enjoying them again, passing the originals to friends and slowly clearing bookshelf space in preparation for downsizing on retirement.

I do understand though because I've been there and done that.

I am an SLR camera user and I insisted on film and fought digital too. Again when I gave in I couldn't see why and I can't ever imagine going back.

I also recognize that this was a post about reading lights and the introduction of the Kindle was not to hijack things but specifically to address the specific concern raised. I have used many reading lights and found that the battery pack on some was far too heavy, plug in ones to be far too limiting as to where you can read and the other LED one I had worked well but would fall out of the book too easily, especially as you got to the end , where there were not as many pages to secure it, especially in a flimsy paperback. The bracket can damage hardbacks, if you like to keep your books pristine. I've never used a camping headlight but that would work well, especially as I don't have to worry about ruffling my hair.

Please be tolerant of differences in preferences. :)

Thanks.

Each to what they prefer. It's great to have choices.

Edited by sail7seas

One solution is to book cruises on other lines (such as Princess) where they have lights on the balconies.

Hank

Hal does have lights on their balconies. Believe me, I've had several neighbours leave theirs on all night:rolleyes:. Sail was being considerate wanting to use a small light instead.

I am a real fan of the camping headlamps. The band is not so tight that it gives you headaches, they are fairly light so you do not notice the weight, and you have both hands free for those heavy hardcovers.

My wife is fairly light sensitive so if I am reading a real book in bed rather than an e-book on an e-reader, the headlamp provides a great solution. She can sleep and I can read - happiness achieved.

Make sure to get one with multiple brightness settings - usually just done by clicking the on switch multiple times - and use the low setting in bed or on your balcony and no one will be disturbed.

The other real advantage is that if your ship ever has a serious problem and loses power, you have a very good emergency light. On the high setting mine gives a strong beam of light for up to at least 100 feet. Must be the boy scout in me but I think everyone who travels should have at least one emergency light in their kit.

One solution is to book cruises on other lines (such as Princess) where they have lights on the balconies.

Hank

I am seeking a reading light in order to be considerate of neighbors who do not want my bright light disturbing them if they like a dark room in which to sleep. My opening post actually stated that. :)

I am a real fan of the camping headlamps. The band is not so tight that it gives you headaches, they are fairly light so you do not notice the weight, and you have both hands free for those heavy hardcovers.

My wife is fairly light sensitive so if I am reading a real book in bed rather than an e-book on an e-reader, the headlamp provides a great solution. She can sleep and I can read - happiness achieved.

Make sure to get one with multiple brightness settings - usually just done by clicking the on switch multiple times - and use the low setting in bed or on your balcony and no one will be disturbed.

The other real advantage is that if your ship ever has a serious problem and loses power, you have a very good emergency light. On the high setting mine gives a strong beam of light for up to at least 100 feet. Must be the boy scout in me but I think everyone who travels should have at least one emergency light in their kit.

Airheadfan..Would you be kind enough to tell us the brand name? I just looked on-line & saw that Amazon also has headlamps.. Some as low as $20..

DH works on jig saw puzzles while I'm on the PC & his lamp burned out.. Just mentioned to him if he liked the lamp I ordered from Amazon, I'll get another one.. But I too like your idea of a headlamp..

We usually take two flashlights on cruises..

Thanks

Edited by serendipity1499