Save the Waves? Save me from signing $0 slips!

Just a small little irritation from our recent cruise...

My husband and I each had a drink package (he had the ultimate and I had the replenish). I think in our 7 day cruise we must've signed what seemed like at least 100 receipts for our drinks that had a $0 'charge' on them. This seemed quite ridiculous to me. The only thing I never got a slip for was soda, but every other non-alcoholic, alcoholic, water, coffee, OJ, juice we got, we had to sign a slip. Multiply that by all the passengers with a drink package and that is a lot of wasted paper. I inquired about it once, and was told they needed to account for the product being used. Ok, I get that, but why not swipe my card, enter into the computer as they usually do and be done with it? My husband found a really great bartender about halfway into our cruise and noticed he was the only one of the 4 people working the bar to not give him a slip to sign. When he asked why, the guy told him the only reason the slips were given out was in case you wanted to add an extra tip (18% already included with package). The guy told him he felt his service should speak for itself and people had already tipped when they bought the package so he felt that giving people a slip seemed somewhat greedy and obvious as to why he was giving them the slip. (For the record, my husband tipped him quite well on the last night of the cruise). DH also bought a pack of cigarettes from the bar one night and there was a 95cent gratuity already included. I had to laugh as that's the first time ever he's paid a tip on cigarettes!

We are very good tippers, so I'm not really here to bash tipping, but was just wondering what you thought about all those $0 slips everyone has to sign upon receiving a drink.

• Like 1

I will just point out that this practice varies by ship and can change with time even from sailing to sailing. Many of the ships no longer have the practice of printing 0 slips unless the passenger requests one.

This is not only an issue in the bars, but in the cafes of café latitudes or café promenade.

I liked the point of sale machine on Vision at café latitudes where even when having a package and getting water or another beverage, you swiped your seapass yourself to get the 0 total and then had the option to leave $1, $2, $3, $5, $10 or $0 tip.

Well, there's no law requiring not printing $0 receipts. I see Save The Waves as the company simply marketing that they are in compliance with US and international laws and long I established practices, not much more. [emoji57]

The thought of you somehow disputing that already paid for drink charge, far outweighs the company's love of trees and dolphins. Or perhaps the signing process is to insure passengers are not over served. Once you can't sign, no more drinks for you. [emoji5]

I also dislike signing all the $0.00 slips. It's annoying, and it takes away a lot of the convenience factor of having a package.

When I had a package on Celebrity, the only times I signed anything were the couple times I had an up-charge.

The current receipt process is ridiculous. It slows the service and drives me crazy at the pool. Wind, water, two receipts printed, cards, pens.....there's got to be an electronic method on the horizon. Need to use the FedEx type electronic system.

RCCL should take a lesson from sister line Celebrity. We had the drink package on Eclipse in Feb. and never signed any slips at all. I don't think we even got a receipt which was fine with me. :)

Haven't been on a RCI cruise yet, but from what I've read, the precise reason they print them out is to try to get more tips. A lot of people will add a tip out of habit. But I also think that perhaps some servers/bartenders find it easier to just establish one system for every drink they serve, instead of stopping to look at whether it's a $0 charge or a $10 they just print the slips and slide it across. Every customer gets the same exact treatment in that regard, so there are fewer chances of a mistake happening or getting written up for some small infraction. Devil's advocate of course, but on Carnival with the plan we still had to sign all slips, so I won't really care about doing it this time either.

Thanks everyone, I'm glad to know it's not just me! Nevermind the inconvenience to have to wait for them to take my seapass (unhook it from my lanyard), run the card, print TWO receipts, wait for me to sign them, and then file theirs and watch me throw away mine is a lot of time wasted. It definitely slowed down bar service significantly, especially at busy times. Certainly not a deal breaker, but just a little gripe. :rolleyes:

I've never purchased the drink package, but don't they tack on the 18% gratuity on the cost of when they are purchased? If that's the case why would anyone want to tip more? Seems to me like an 18% surcharge for just purchasing the package (before even using it) seems fair enough.

Maybe they do get a lot of write-on tips. I don't have any way of knowing. It would really surprise me if people felt the need to tip more than 18% and, if they did, they'd likely use cash so the server could keep the extra.

Tom

Haven't been on a RCI cruise yet, but from what I've read, the precise reason they print them out is to try to get more tips. A lot of people will add a tip out of habit.

That should be something you fill our on your customer service survey when you returned home. It does seem like a lot of waste

Yes, by all means note this on your customer service survey. RCI will respond: "Thank you for your comments. We instituted the $0 receipts due to the many requests from our valued customers to provide a means for charging an increase gratuity for our many outstanding customer service representatives."

Question: What happens if you take your beverage, smile, say thank you (in the nicest possible way), and walk away without signing?

Edited by RocketMan275

On my last cruise I had a drink package but always tipped $1 cash for every single drink I got the entire cruise.

I bet I didn't sign 4 slips the entire cruise.

I sat at bars next to people who had to sign for every drink while I did not have to sign for any of mine.

I think the people who are stating the tickets are for a chance at an extra tip may have nailed it. :)

I've never purchased the drink package, but don't they tack on the 18% gratuity on the cost of when they are purchased? If that's the case why would anyone want to tip more? Seems to me like an 18% surcharge for just purchasing the package (before even using it) seems fair enough.

Maybe they do get a lot of write-on tips. I don't have any way of knowing. It would really surprise me if people felt the need to tip more than 18% and, if they did, they'd likely use cash so the server could keep the extra.

Tom

The 18% is added to the cost of the package if you buy one, so you are not paying a gratuity per drink. And the cost is automatically added if you are paying per drink (so a $12 will cost $14.16 to someone paying per drink) and this can't be removed. I think that is more than enough, but I am not what one would consider a "generous" tipper. I'm a bregrudging tipper! LOL

So that could work for or against them. That's sort of the point of getting the package. If the person doesn't drink enough to make up the cost the cruise line actually makes more money than they would have and the person would have paid even more tip. If they happen to drink enough to make it more than worth it then the tip might be slightly understated when compared to buying individual drinks, but the cruise line is the one who made up the process so, in this case, they would just get less.

Seems like sometimes they'd win and sometimes they'd slightly lose.

Tom

The 18% is added to the cost of the package if you buy one, so you are not paying a gratuity per drink. And the cost is automatically added if you are paying per drink (so a $12 will cost $14.16 to someone paying per drink) and this can't be removed. I think that is more than enough, but I am not what one would consider a "generous" tipper. I'm a bregrudging tipper! LOL

I'm in agreement with the OP and others --- I too hate, hate, hate signing a $0.00 receipt. Think it does slow done service at a busy bar; having them have to print two, put it inside the blue folder with a pen. You sign theirs, put the receipt and pen back into the blue folder, have them pick it up and do What With It? Once it's been swiped into the computer it has been a recorded transaction.

I had bought a package for the first time on my Liberty December cruise, I too added a $1 or more to bartender(s) early in the cruise and the $0.00 receipts stopped for most of them. There was one bartender at the Champagne Lounge that continued to print them and have me sign them (I'm like -- DUDE -- what the heck!); his "extra" cash money didn't seem to matter -- that was his routine. Everyone served got the same treatment. He was also the slowest bartender I've ever seen on a cruise - and in particular at the Champagne Bar! He could not take multiple orders at a time, slowest pourer, then the swipe of the card, print off the receipts, find a pen, put receipts/pen into folder, deliver folder and seapass card -- and still wouldn't take another order! By the end of the cruise, he got 'zero' for additional tip -- it wasn't worth it and since we can figure out schedules and what bartenders we like - went when he wasn't working or just going off shift.

"I liked the point of sale machine on Vision at café latitudes where even when having a package and getting water or another beverage, you swiped your seapass yourself to get the 0 total"

Yep. I don't remember getting a single receipt on Vision for Replenish. Not even when we got waters at Schooner Bar. None at all at the espresso stand, not even when we bought ice cream there.

On Freedom in Jan of 2014 they started off strong with receipts, then tapered WAY off for the package items.

I was on Indy in 2014 and had one of the packages and I wasnt given a single receipt to sign the entire time. They swiped my card and handed me a drink. Part of what made the package valuable was not having to sign anything, because I definitely didnt break even.

• 7 years later...

image.jpeg.77e55bfe5674cac1493ca65eccaa0aa2.jpeg

Biker, who is killing at least three birds with this one post:

This month, Royal Caribbean Group is celebrating 30 years of Save the Waves, the cruise line’s first (and ongoing) environmental initiative.

Initiated in 1992, over the past 30 years, Save the Waves has grown into a global commitment to engrain sustainability practices into every part of Royal Caribbean Group’s business and culture.

“Save the Waves has served as the strong foundation for what we have accomplished and the ambitious sustainability efforts we are committed to at Royal Caribbean Group,” said Jason Liberty, president and CEO of Royal Caribbean Group.

“The program, for decades, has helped us create a culture dedicated to environmental performance and our commitment to protecting our oceans.”

When it was introduced, the Save the Waves initiative was primarily focused on waste management and reduction, the company said, in a statement.

Since then, it has evolved to include a range of policies, activities, and innovations.

“Decades ago, when we introduced Save the Waves, we made a commitment to continuous improvement that we live by today,” said Nick Rose, associate vice president of environmental programs at Royal Caribbean Group.

“Throughout my 15-year career at Royal Caribbean Group, including four years as an Environmental Officer, I have been proud to be part of our continual progress in this area, which wouldn’t be possible without the dedication of thousands of crewmembers and millions of guests.”

Since introducing Save the Waves, Royal Caribbean Group has reached multiple milestones including:

• Introducing dedicated onboard Environmental Officers to ensure waste management standards are met
  • Becoming the first cruise company to be ISO 14001 for Environmental Management Certified
  • Using its Green Hub waste vendor program to divert 87% of its waste from landfills
  • Equipping all its ships with modern waste management facilities and processes to prevent waste from ending up in landfills
  • Installing wastewater purification systems across 88% of its fleet
  • Training every new member on Save the Waves rules to ensure proper waste management protocols are followed

Royal Caribbean Celebrates 30 Years of Save the Waves - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

• Thanks 1