Which itinerary best for Sydney to Aus/NZ?

Thanks for the input. Rotorua MUST have something to offer or else so many tourists wouldn't go there! We've smelled the stinky sulfur smell before. Not pleasant but often it goes with the territory of these types of sights.

Btw we cruised to NZ a couple of years ago but then princess offered a sector cruise which was 7 nights. Started in Sydney went to Milford sound, Dunedin & then we left the ship at Christchurch & did a land/ car trip. Great way to go but have not seen this offered again

I remember that....I think it was pre the earthquake, but it was really good as you incorporate either a post or pre cruise stay. You could also join in Chch. and cruise back to Au.

Thanks for the input. Rotorua MUST have something to offer or else so many tourists wouldn't go there! We've smelled the stinky sulfur smell before. Not pleasant but often it goes with the territory of these types of sights.

The thermal areas are fascinating, I think, and there are wonderful hot pools to soak in.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

As I mentioned in an earlier post this was our first cruise and first time to NZ, the only shore trip we prebooked was (with a private operator) to Rotorua. We were very happy we did, something we have never seen before and smell wasn't anywhere near as bad as we were told. We also loved Napier, again unique, art deco town and such a welcome from the locals. The town really wraps itself around the cruise ships. Wonderful.

Hope you plans are starting to come together.

If you're a Lord of the Rings fan you can also visit Hobbiton. It is an hour from Port but also an hour from Rotorua so its a very full whistlestop day to do both Rotorua and Hobbiton. Bit too much driving and rushing for me but some want to see both.

In Akaroa make sure to pick up some fudge...super yummy!...mind you I myself havent had it for 9 years (my last Akaroa visit) and when i used to frequent the fudge shop i was pregnant and could have eaten tht fudge endlessly limited only by the fact that we had to drive from Christchurch to get my fix :D. Hopefully it's still yummy :)

can anyone tell me

I heard mixed reviews about going to Christchurch or just staying in akoroa....we will only be in port for the day on the cruise ship.....what are your recommendations....

I heard mixed reviews about going to Christchurch or just staying in akoroa....we will only be in port for the day on the cruise ship.....what are your recommendations....

I had been to ChCh a number of times pre & post quakes. It truly is a beautiful place. When we cruised there in '13 most of our party had never been there, so we did a ships tour that included ChCh,including 'on your own' time in the city. It was sad to see the damage, but I am glad we did it. The bus ride to and fro showed a lot of the Canterbury Plains, as well as our time in the city. We also visited a sheep farm.

I knew nothing of Akaroa at that time. If we get the chance again, we will likely take the time to explore Akaroa, as I now know it is well worth a day there.

So, for me, if you have never been to ChCh, I would go there, but a day around Akaroa would be well worth it also. Not sure I have helped you too much :)

I haven't seen Christchurch after the damage, so that's a bit of a proviso. However, in one you're going to a city with a number of sights.

Akaroa on the other hand is really a small village, and a lot of its activities are things away from it e.g. harbour cruise and wildlife and postman's tour.

Akaroa's certainly a nice place, but there's a lot more to Christchurch than Akaroa.

can anyone tell me

we would have been happy just to get off the ship, but after the first 4 tenders they shut down the port visits, so we just got to see the beautiful scenery, unfortunately we couldn't even see Akaroa, but it is a beautiful anchorage.

from all your posts, I think I should go to Christchurch....if there's time I will check out akoroa...thanks for all your comments...

They are still demolishing buildings in Chch.Heres one from last week...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/christchurch-earthquake-2011/68996037/watch-christchurchs-central-police-station-implosion

I'd love it if we could find a cruise like Esilef's 7 day Princess cruise, but it's true they no longer offer that. As for the Sydney to Auckland cruises, the cost would be in the neighborhood of at least $1,800 more than Syd to Syd that - we already have booked - that visits NZ. (Believe me. I will keep an eye out for any price drops. One reason I don't want to lock in our air yet!) But beyond that, the dates for those itineraries are not offered during our time frame.