Which itinerary best for Sydney to Aus/NZ?

Our first and only cruise so far was late January from Brisbane to NZ on Sea Princess. Ports were Auckland, Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Akaroa, Dunedin and Fiordland NP.

This not a review so will just say we got to Akaroa and after the first 4 tenders they closed down shore visits. Port Chalmers (Dunedin) shut down to all shipping so we were diverted to Picton. Lovely little town, we stayed there overnight then did a slow journey back to Brisbane.

We met fellow cruisers who were on their 3rd attempt to see Fiordland, we were told the record was 5th time lucky.

We were also told next time to chose an itinerary that goes to Fiordland first as they usually make it even if the weather is bad.

So doing the itinerary the opposite way is best, or so we have been told.

We have a lot of friends who have done the same trip and 60% get to Fiordland.

Yes we had rough weather but we took our stemitil and didn't get sick. We loved the cruise and NZ (both of which I had vowed never to do):)

Whatever you decide NZ is a beautiful country with welcoming locals, especially Napier, I could happily live there !

I am really grateful for all the great replies and tips! Seeing the photos is really interesting, too! The links to tour operator posts is very helpful as well.

I am sure others appreciate this info. as much as I do. Thanks for taking the time to post all this info!

Check out the Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas cruises of NZ. Time may be an issue (the cruise is 14 days) but it does Bay of Islands, Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington, Picton, Dunedin & also cruises the fjords. My wife and I have booked this one and while we would have loved to be able to also stop at Napier we can't wait to see NZ :)

Just a reminder that the Port of Auckland Authority has turned down the application by the Explorer Of The Seas for berthing rights in their port. They had to lengthen the wharf to accommodate the ship and as such it considered that it was too expensive just to accommodate one super size ship. Short sighted thinking is my attitude to that decision.

Just a reminder that the Port of Auckland Authority has turned down the application by the Explorer Of The Seas for berthing rights in their port. They had to lengthen the wharf to accommodate the ship and as such it considered that it was too expensive just to accommodate one super size ship. Short sighted thinking is my attitude to that decision.

Was that Explorer? Or the new Ovation?

That was for Ovation and the final decision is still pending.I believe it is under discussion by the Port and the Cruise Line at the moment.

Agreed.

Voyager and Explorer are currently able to and will continue to visit Auckland.

Thanks TLCOhio for your great photos and comments. NZ looks amazing.

Appreciate these nice and kind comments on my visuals. Actually, to be totally honest, my pictures on the live/blog below do not do proper "justice" for either the beauty of New Zealand or Australia.

It is much better looking in person!! Before departing from Sydney on our cruise, we were fortunate to enjoy both the Cairns/Great Barrier Reef/Rainforest and Adelaide/Kangaroo Island areas. WOW!! Totally spectacular there and in New Zealand.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 107,525 views for this posting.

shrekaus, I would sure HATE to miss the fjords! That seems like a top scenic aspect of a NZ intinerary. Is Fjordland a different section of the fjords than, say, Milford Sound, Dusky Sound, etc?

Edited by mlbcruiser

What about a cruise departing from Auckland? Skip the Australia part & time saved used to extend your travels in NZ?

I love NZ & we are now thinking about going back there & doing another road trip with a campervan.

Great scenery. I really liked rotorua. You get used to the smell. Such a diverse country.

Well, we've never been to Australia, either, so it was a way to see a little of both countries. Visiting the Great Barrier Reef is a must for us as well. A cruise is NEVER as good as a land trip w/regard to having a chance to really spend some time in and fully experience a destination. However, it's better than not seeing a place at all. And there are aspects of cruising that are very enjoyable as well, so it's just a different type of vacation.

Funny you should mention the camper van way to see New Zealand. Just yesterday I was thinking about how I used to see ads in travel magazines and in the travel section of newspapers about deals to New Zealand that were camper van or rental car trip pkgs. However, I haven't seen anything on them in several years. I wonder why?

We priced out the campervan trip in NZ a couple of years ago & it worked out to be a similar price to hiring a small car & staying at a hotel when you accounted for van rental, caravan park site rental, petrol ect.

Maybe not as popular as it used to be???

I just did the Sydney to Singapore cruise. Sydney, Brisbane, airlie beach, cairns, Darwin, Bali & Singapore. Amazing cruise.

Could you break the holiday into a couple if cruises & some land time?

Btw we cruised to NZ a couple of years ago but then princess offered a sector cruise which was 7 nights. Started in Sydney went to Milford sound, Dunedin & then we left the ship at Christchurch & did a land/ car trip. Great way to go but have not seen this offered again

There are a number of cruises on offer that are one way - Sydney to Auckland or vice-versa. They offer the most flexibility if you have time to do land travel in each country. Depending on the time of year you could fly in to Australia, sightsee there, cruise to NZ and spend some time after your cruise in NZ. Or start in NZ and end in Australia.

Bear in mind that NZ is cooler than Australia so if you are planning your trip for Oct/Nov I'd suggest starting in Australia. If February/March then start in NZ. Also be aware that the northern parts of Australia are hot, humid and wet in our summer (November to March).

No, I'm afraid we could not. Just our flights, the one cruise and a couple of days stay near Sydney and a couple near Cairns or Port Douglas . . . well, the vacation costs for this trip are already almost off the charts for us!

Well, you'll be seeing most of the best bits anyway. :)

Port Douglas is a lovely place to base yourself for a Great Barrier Reef trip. There are plenty of shuttle buses running between Cairns airport and Port Douglas, and it's a very pretty trip. I'd recommend using the shuttle rather than hiring a car.

If you are planning on snorkelling the reef I'd recommend Wavelength which goes to the outer reef (about 2 hours from Port Douglas) http://www.wavelength.com.au/ or Sailaway which goes to the Low Isles which are much closer to Port Douglas http://sailawayportdouglas.com/.

I've done both of these and they are excellent. The trip out and back on Wavelength can be a bit rough if the weather isn't perfect but the snorkelling is superb. The trip to the Low Isles is quite sheltered and only takes about half an hour each way. The sunset cruise on Sailaway is lovely too.

Thanks so much for the links, OzKiwiJJ. These look like great tours! Although I am one of those people who takes Bonine before flying and every single morning when on a ship, it has never stopped me from snorkeling or kept me away from boats of all sorts. We are avid snorkelers and my dh dives as well. (I've had the equip. on and used it quite well, but am not certified so no diving there for me.)

I must sound like a cheapskate, but the costs for these tours (as well as other excursions in this part of the world) seem so much pricier than what we have paid in other areas - namely Hawaii, Moorea, Bora Bora, Cayman Is., Virgin Is., Cozumel, Belize, Brazil and the Bahamas. If we hadn't done some very nice water sports trips and sailing or catamaran excursions in those locations, I might not have anything else to compare it to, but I do. Well, we'll only likely ever have this one chance, but guess it'll be worth it. Just hope we get SUNSHINE when we are there. I know it will be rainy season when we'll be there. No matter what anyone says, the colors just aren't the same in cloudy weather and it would be terrible if storms or seas caused our trip to be cancelled. I'm hoping it's just quick showers on and off and not totally all day clouds or rain.

At any rate, thanks again for this info. I am saving it for sure.

Edited by mlbcruiser

Probably one of the reasons prices are expensive here is that wages are higher. Also you are not expected to tip the tour operators like you would in your country and the Caribbean.

I hope you do have some good weather for your Great Barrier Reef trip. I haven't been up to Far North Queensland in the wet, we usually go there in September. Perhaps someone else will see this and be able to give you a better idea of what to expect. When are you actually travelling?

March. My dd and her husband spent a wk. in Australia about 4 yrs. ago in March. They went to Cairns and did some sort of a sail & snorkel trip. I remember she said they did have o.k. weather for that, but that it rained a lot up there.

March is probably the wettest month :(

But you can never tell. You'll just have to keep your fingers crossed. ;)

Are you planning on going up to Cairns after your cruise or before? The later you leave it the better chance you have of getting better weather, I think.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The back is what I had been thinking for the same reason mentioned. I still don't feel enough surety about this trip to go ahead and book anything more yet. We are booked on the ship, but that's it for now. Not quite ready to commit to anything more yet, I guess.