Which itinerary best for Sydney to Aus/NZ?

Can't decide! Should we choose the one that includes the fjords, Dunnedin, Auckland, Bay of Islands and Tauranga or the one skipping the fjords that stops at Wellington, Picton, Tauranga and Auckland ( might have one more stop but can't recall.). Would especially Italy love it if someone who has done both could comment. Thanks for any replies!

I have visited almost all of those ports. I was about to say go for the first one even though I thought it said Wellington and Picton but throwing in Auckland, Bay of Islands, etc. makes it a no brainier. The fjords are amazing and can't be missed and missing Wellington is a very small price to pay. If you do stop in Picton make sure that you are up early to see it coming in the sounds, that is the only thing that (to me) makes it worth stopping at.

I have visited almost all of those ports. I was about to say go for the first one even though I thought it said Wellington and Picton but throwing in Auckland, Bay of Islands, etc. makes it a no brainier. The fjords are amazing and can't be missed and missing Wellington is a very small price to pay. If you do stop in Picton make sure that you are up early to see it coming in the sounds, that is the only thing that (to me) makes it worth stopping at.

Thanks for that heads up on Picton.

Thanks for that heads up on Picton.

It pays to check the port times for Picton. If you have a mid to late afternoon sail away , then you get a scenic cruise through the sounds.:)

another tip ........because Picton is the entry port to the South Island for the Interisland ferries , the shops have a constant flow of tourists passing through. There are some very good souvenir shops and galleries.

It pays to check the port times for Picton. If you have a mid to late afternoon sail away , then you get a scenic cruise through the sounds.:)

another tip ........because Picton is the entry port to the South Island for the Interisland ferries , the shops have a constant flow of tourists passing through. There are some very good souvenir shops and galleries

Plus if there for the day it's an easy drive (or tour) through to Blenheim and Wairau Valley which is full of wineries. A nice way to do it is via the Queen Charlotte Drive then turn left at Havelock and head to Blenheim and the wineries - then back onto Picton - easily done in a day.

I agree that the scenery through the Queen Charlotte Sound makes for great viewing - perhaps not Fiordland level but impressive non the less

Do I sound biased? - probably - I grew up in this area :D

So it's a challenge for the OP - either itinerary looks good - we did a NZ cruise last year and were lucky enough to visit most NZ ports - but if it was my choice and visiting NZ for the first time I'd opt for the cruise that included the visit to Fiordland (although of course it could well be raining while visiting that area in which case you'll see plenty of water falls!

Edited by Bodogbodog

Can't decide! Should we choose the one that includes the fjords, Dunnedin, Auckland, Bay of Islands and Tauranga or the one skipping the fjords that stops at Wellington, Picton, Tauranga and Auckland ( might have one more stop but can't recall.). Would especially Italy love it if someone who has done both could comment. Thanks for any replies!

For a first cruise, I would choose the one which includes the picturesque scenery of the fjords, Dunedin, Auckland and the beautiful Bay of Islands, which are all favourite places. In addition, I enjoyed the shopping at Tauranga (the town, not the port, which is touristy and scenic for walking around.)

another tip ........because Picton is the entry port to the South Island for the Interisland ferries , the shops have a constant flow of tourists passing through. There are some very good souvenir shops and galleries.

Thanks I'll probably come back looking for more suggestions when it is locked in, looks like sail out at Picton is about 4:00 pm.

We were looking at it as an Aussie cruise with South Island thrown in, but the more we look at t, the more we are looking forward to the NZ ports.

Wonderful replies! Just the sort I was after.

The fjords seemed to scenic a thing to miss, but having never been to NZ, I just had to be sure We wouldn't be missing something too important to pass up on the other itinerary. I am sure cruisers going to Pitkin will be interested to see the tips provided for that port.

Thanks so much to all of you.

For a first cruise, I would choose the one which includes the picturesque scenery of the fjords, Dunedin, Auckland and the beautiful Bay of Islands, which are all favourite places. In addition, I enjoyed the shopping at Tauranga (the town, not the port, which is touristy and scenic for walking around.)

The port for Tauranga is Mount Maunganui which has a delightful tourist/holiday oriented shopping centre and walks around the beach and Mount.However it is also the stop for the Thermal Wonderland of Rotorua and if visitors have not been before that is the place to head for. Its about a 1 hour drive from the port and many tours , both from the ship ,and private ,will take you there.

The port for Tauranga is Mount Maunganui which has a delightful tourist/holiday oriented shopping centre and walks around the beach and Mount.However it is also the stop for the Thermal Wonderland of Rotorua and if visitors have not been before that is the place to head for. Its about a 1 hour drive from the port and many tours , both from the ship ,and private ,will take you there.

I know, as I've been to all three. I really liked Mount Maunganui, where I have walked around the beautiful beaches, and shopping centre, as well as part of the mount walk. However, I was surprised at what good value shopping at Tauranga was, being a regional centre rather than a tourist centre.

I'm probably one of the few people who don't love Rotorua, having stayed there several times (with and without the smell).

Check out the Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas cruises of NZ. Time may be an issue (the cruise is 14 days) but it does Bay of Islands, Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington, Picton, Dunedin & also cruises the fjords. My wife and I have booked this one and while we would have loved to be able to also stop at Napier we can't wait to see NZ :)

MMDownunder and Mike, so if you had NEVER been to Rotorua, you would not go, knowing what you know now?

Bigdavefc, that is the ship and the NZ itinerary is the one I was actually talking about, only when we'd go it's an 11 day itinerary. We've been on that ship as well as several others in that same RCI class. We love that class the best out of all of them. (The only thing I wish RCI would do is have a covered, open air area with tables and chairs (usable as a dining or snack area) like Celebrity and NCL and a few other lines - have out on deck in back of their main buffet areas.

Edited by mlbcruiser

MMDownunder and Mike, so if you had NEVER been to Rotorua, you would not go, knowing what you know now?

That is a good question. On a land holiday yes I'd go, on a cruise no (too much to see and do in too short a time). However, it is a bit like when you visit NY, everyone at home asks whether you have been up the Empire State Building. You eventually go up, even though you suspect Rockefeller Centre was better.:)

http://www.newzealand.com/au/plan/business/te-puia/

Good explanatory reply, lol. Now I have to figure out what we SHOULD for sure do in the area. I'd love to just at least get driven through the area just to see it, then go see some more naturally beautiful sight. I have not done the research I will surely do yet. So have just been picking up tidbits like this here and there.

Anyone else with an opinion on Roturua, feel free to chime in!

If it's a one and only trip to NZ, Rotorua is a must. Prior to our 2013 cruise to NZ, our party made a wish list of things we wanted as musts to see/do, to help in planning.

Our list included geothermal & Maori culture. Rotorua ticks the boxes, along with Te Papa Tongarewa in Wellington.

I have been to Rotorua a number of times, but the others in our group have not - Rotorua got the thumbs up. We did it as a day trip from Tauranga.

I will admit, I am curious about Rotorua and cultures interest me a lot more than shopping. (Although I do like to bring home a few gifts and souveniers!)

We'll have to find a tour that encompasses as much as possible. Hopefully, we will get in a lot! (I am like the Energizer Bunny when in a new place! Idon't know if those of you down under know that is a reference to a commercial in the states that concerned a toy bunny whose batteries never wore down). So many interesting things in the world to see!

I will admit, I am curious about Rotorua and cultures interest me a lot more than shopping. (Although I do like to bring home a few gifts and souveniers!)

We'll have to find a tour that encompasses as much as possible. Hopefully, we will get in a lot! (I am like the Energizer Bunny when in a new place! Idon't know if those of you down under know that is a reference to a commercial in the states that concerned a toy bunny whose batteries never wore down). So many interesting things in the world to see!

Yep we had Energizer Bunny ads in Aus.

I spent about 8 years working part time in Rotorua (I lived in Auckland at the time). I really enjoyed Rotorua and still enjoy visiting it on trips back to NZ. There are so many things to see and do there, much more than can be done on a day visit.

Yes, it's a bit stinky in parts - mostly around the tourist shop areas which has always amused me. The thermal areas always fascinate me. I haven't been to any of the Maori cultural stuff for many, many years but NZ usually does such things well. Some of the lakes around Rotorua are beautiful, and you would see one of those, Lake Rotoiti, coming through from Tauranga.

Perhaps you could find a local tour that allows some flexibility as to what you see. There are quite a few threads on the Ports of Call board - here's one to start you off http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2161369&highlight=rotorua+tour

Guess it is quite a worldwide product and a worldwide ad at the time, then. Sorry, but I just wasn't sure if those outside of the U.S. would know of the reference or not so I threw that in.

No need to say sorry, other than for sending us that annoying ad.

It is actually useful to explain when referencing something that may not be known in other countries.

I loved my visit to Rotorua, doing the short trails and experiencing it.

I guess it depends what you're going for and what you've seen elsewhere, but that experience is something I hadn't had before, and I appreciated its natural rarity. The smell while certainly strong just added to the distinctness of the experience - it wasn't unbearable.

Anything for the "NOT TO MISS" lst in Akoroa?

For Akoroa, there is a little distance to get from there to certain options that worked well for us. Below are some "photo evidence" as proof for the fun we had on the rail trip, mountain area visit and the jet boat adventure. Great excitement!! More on the full live/blog connected below. Let me know any added questions. Happy to share more, answer any questions. Just post to the live/blog thread and I will respond.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 107,454 views for this posting

This is one of my visuals that gives a little sampling for the spectacular Waimakariri River gorge seen from the Tranz Alpine Rail trip. Great "drama" in this aspect of the trip, especially with the blue waters that we would later travel "up-close-and-personal" via a JetBoat trip.:

TranzAlpineA5_zps73e6fb17.jpg

This picture gives an idea for the view from the outdoor viewing platform near the front of this train. It had a covered roof but open sides to create an ideal location to take photos from the train. No photo glare from trying to shoot through a window. I spent most the time through the mountains in this location.:

TranzAlpineA6_zpsc065166b.jpg

With the NZ JetBoat, we loved the THRILLS doing these fast, roaring shots up and down this narrow and scenic section of this river. I was fortunately seated right behind our excellent driver, Greg Peacock. I didn't get very wet, but those on the right side got more of the "showers". No extra charge. But, nobody got too wet. It was all part of the fun. At a couple points during our about 25-minute trip on the river, Greg stopped at a scenic location in this river/gorge to give us more background on these boats, experiences in doing this work since 1998 for him, etc. These Hamilton Jet Boats were developed around 1960, including work done at this site to perfect the design and test the models/designs. Notice the great background/dramatic areas that we were "sailing" up and down?:

JetBoatOne2_zps433fff02.jpg

Here is a picture that my wife loved. Notice her hands and those of others in our row super tightly gripping the safety bar? That says so much about the speed and thrills while roaring up and down this amazing stretch of scenic river near Christchurch. I showed my wife this picture (and several others like this one of her where the wind was blowing her hair in the opposite direction). She liked this picture so much, that she said to put this one in her obituary (not that this need is upcoming anytime soon). It showed her having fun and she said this ride was the most fun of the whole cruise/trip. We had lots of great moments on this trip, but one was a unique and special ride in a location that is spectacularly world-class. And, perfect weather with good friends added to the great joy!!:

JetBoatOne1_zpscafe58a3.jpg

This picture gives a sampling for Akaroa, its scenic harbor and nearby areas. BUT, it takes time to get out of here, including to navigate the twisting, slow roads. And, getting back, too!! Notice the "truth-in-advertising" sign about the many "S-curves" ahead. Lots of visual interest and NZ natural charm in this region.:

Akoroa11_zps5b0b5e31.jpg