TRIP REPORT w/pics Freedom Western 4/26th to 5/3

Thanks for the JS room pics Bill......my wife and I will be on Freedom in November in a JS (our first time in anything above a balcony room). Nice to see what we're looking forward to :cheers:

Jeff

Edited by mjeff87

We had a couple of hours left before Muster, so we explored. I went to the running track and found out where they shortened it and the new cabins started.

trackendshere.jpg

Up the stairs is a sun deck (top required). This would make a good sail away location except for the glass around the front area is 8 feet high. With the salt spray the visibility was bad. I suppose the high glass is to block the wind, but its much higher than anywhere else on the ship and doesn't really block the wind that much for people in the back of the area. 4 laps to the kilometer and 6.7 laps to the mile. I would use the track and gym several times this week. I think we only used the elevator 5-6 times all week!

We did walk past the "new" Sabor Mexican restaurant after getting a Guacamole sample on the promenade. We booked the place for Noon Monday (the sea day).

Muster was uneventful. We still didn't have our luggage as of 4pm and our Coke Freestyle cups weren't there either. I really wanted a Coke Zero and couldn't get that at a bar, so I called Guest Services and was told they would be delivered by tomorrow. I wasn't willing to only use the cup 6 days when I paid for 7 days (x2). I finally convinced one of the crew members that were selling the soda package that we didn't get our cup and we wouldn't get them because they were probably delivered to the wrong room. I was right, we never did receive them. We would continue not receiving things for a couple of days due to the last minute upgrade, but the JS was worth the little bit of inconvenience. The third person I talked to finally gave me the cups which we used all cruise.

Our dinner was the late seating and are table was along the balcony railing on deck 4. I am usually on the main floor on Voyager or Freedom class ships. They was the first time on deck 4. (MTD is deck 5) As we were heading to dinner right before 8pm I called Guest Services again and told them we didn't have our bags yet. What I wore on the ship did qualify as SMART CASUAL, so we looked ok. We wanted to unpack my shirt so we could send it out to be pressed and pay next day pricing, not same day.

We headed off for dinner. I was anxious about the dinner service. The Service last year on Jewel was the worst I have ever had on Royal and I was hoping for a rebound. We were at a table for 6 near the balcony. We were seated with a 30 something couple and her Mom. We found them to be enjoyable table mates and they seemed to enjoy us as well. I was very happy to say that the service was much better this time. On the first night's MOJO menu I have been ordering the pork chop and found it to be very good. I again found it very good, but they made a change to the sauce. It use to be called MOJO sauce and had a purple color to it, but now it was called something else and described as a lime reduction sauce. It was very good. My wife had the prime rib and found it also good.

We were done in time to make the 9pm Welcome aboard show. Everytime I have been to this show the CD comes out first and then you see the entertainment. This time it started with a 10 minute video that was basically a commercial for Royal Caribbean. (I thought this was slightly tacky.) Half the people were saying, I already know this stuff and the other were saying, " I'm already here you don't need to sell me". After that 10 minute commercial the show did go on. The comedian was good, so we saw his show later in the week. They did an airial act that was a couple of ribbons of material and it was very good.

Once back to our room, our bags were there so we unpacked. My wife filled out the laundry form and was annoyed that it was too late for next day service so we would have to pay same day and it had to be picked up by 9am on day 2.

We also got a sheet explaining about the offers loaded on our sea pass card. The only problem was they were for Diamond plus and we were still Emerald.

We headed off to the hot tubs and found one of the two cantilevered hot tubs in the Solarium was open and hot. The perfect end to an exciting day.

Coming up, Day 2, Sea Day -

Edited by BillOh

Love your 'loading baggage' pallet of Coors pic, Bill.

This review is gonna be one of the funnier ones, thanks for bringing your sense of humor along on the vacation.

Congrats on your upgrade fairy!

After eating, we changed into our suites from our carryon bag and went to one of my favorite areas, the Freedom class Solarium and hit the pool.

This brought back lots of good memories and we created some new ones this cruise. My wife says the pink couch wasn't in this area on our first cruise. I'll have to check our 2008 photos, which I haven't done yet.

solariumday1.jpg

I know this is the day 1 shot as you can see water streams jetting into the pool from the bridge and near the stairs. Being that it was still relatively cool, (73F) Those jets were a bit uncomfortable to be around anywhere in the pool. They would be turned off later and we didn't see them again.

The tile couch was there when I cruised on Freedom right before her dry dock. Too bad they didn't find a place for all the smaller bird sculptures that encircled the overhang when they expanded it to accommodate walkway to the new cabins on deck 12.

It's nice to know those water sprays jetting into the pool can be turned off. I HATED THEM! And apparently so did everyone else in the pool with me since we all avoided the area of the pool they affected - a rather large area. A lot of ladies don't want to get their hair wet and nobody enjoyed getting hit in the eye with them. Maybe the turn-off feature was added in dry dock.

Subscribed and looking forward to the rest of your review.

~ Judy

Edited by FloridaPalms

Day 2 started for me at 7:30 at the gym. I rode a bike for 30 minutes. The gym was well utilized at that time. Plenty of people there, but lots of available equipment. The gym is properly sized for the amount of people on the ship. I was glad to see the boxing ring gone. Lately RC has been working to reclaim under utilized space. At least they didn't put a cabin in here. This space is much more productive in selling over priced arch supports. Doesn't everyone go on cruises just for the unwanted sales pitch?

After riding the bike I headed for the track. It was a beautiful day outside and I do enjoy the 30-40 mph wind while on the track. A warm Caribbean wind feels good to me. Let me back track 2 years to when I finished my last marathon. Things started going downhill health wise and I have to have spinal fusion Surgery. I did very little aerobic activity all of 2014 and most of 2015 so far. I just started bike riding in April. I've tried to run a few times this year and wasn't comfortable. On this morning I took off and felt perfectly normal, just not in Marathon shape. A cold hard Ohio Winter was hard on my arthritis, but I was sure feeling good this day.

At 8:30 I got my wife and we headed to the windjammer. We sound seats along the edge of the seating area in what I call the "snack bar" seating. Leaving the tables for larger groups. The windjammer is what it is, and most of you are familiar with it I do enjoy fresher fruit that what is available back home in April. This windjammer has IMO the best size to passenger ratio in the fleet. They did a good job of opening both sides when it was crowded. There did seem to be only one bacon station though.

I am a people watcher and an observer of people. This trip was great. Very little rude or bad behavior, but just a few funny observations. I was sitting eating my breakfast at this snack bar that morning. My wife was up retrieving something and I heard a woman say, "I don't think I can fit through there". She was referring to the area behind me and the chair of the guy at the table behind me. I was sitting on a chair that does swivel, but otherwise can't be moved. I looked and 2 feet behind her was an aisle way. There was no need for her to walk behind me. I went back to eating. The next thing I know I am being spun around and she tries to wedge her self through. In a moment my knees are in her rib cage as I try to put a piece of potato in my mouth. I am very easy going on a cruise, I did nothing but give her my best, "Did you really do that?" look.

We had not real plans that morning, but before hitting the solarium pool we went back to our room. My shirts for pressing were still in our room. The paperwork said they had to be picked up before 9am to get them back the same day. Today is formal day. We called Guest services and were told that we had till 11am and it would be picked up. We next went to the cupcake cupboard to verify what time and date Gina's class was. They asked our room number and we said, 1600. No reservation for us. "How about under 9342?" I asked. Yes, there it is for Gina, Friday 4:30pm. We found many things still under our old room number. This was true when I verified my Chops reservation as well. We still didn't have any drink cups in our room, so I'm glad I was able to talk my way into others from the girl on the promenade.

We enjoyed some pool time until our noon reservation at Sabor.

sabor.jpg

Sabor does offer lunch for $15 on Sea days. I'm not a big fan of pay dining on cruises, though we do Chops on our anniversary. I'm not a foodie, I have no expertise on Mexican food, but let me say, I loved the lunch at Sabor. Everything we had was good. I didn't partake in any $12 Margaritas, but they did bring me a coke.

Let's start with the guacamole. I use to be a picky eater and didn't eat much in the vegetable realm. At 55 years old, I have never eaten guacamole. After Juan came over and made ours at our table and my wife practically orgasming over it, I tried it. Hey, Mikey, he likes it!:eek:.

My wife ordered the Tortilla Soup. I tried it, it was good, she loved it. I ordered a Chicken stuffed Jalapeno wrapped in bacon appetizer. . It was EXCELLENT. We also had a Chicken Quesadilla (sp) Again, excellent. My main entre was beef tacos with a Chipotle BBQ. I'm no expert, but we loved everything and it was worth the $30.

Right after lunch we had a 1pm appointment with the NEXTCRUISE PERSON. While I normally would hate having an appointment on vacation, they were very organized on Freedom. On Embarkation day they clearly stated how they worked. You could make an appointment in their book, or show up for first available help. We made the 1pm Monday appointment and were seen right on schedule by a very nice Anna from Spain. She first asked if we knew what cruise we wanted, which I did. She then asked our room number and I told her 1600. She then proceed to say, " I see your Diamond Plus". I then corrected her and told her , as of that day we had enough points to be Diamond, but until the end of the cruise we were still emerald. Confused, she asked our names and I explained about our pier upgrade.

Here is where our trip began to turn around. It was wonderful so far, but the room change had created a few minor (so far) issues for us. One "issue" was getting Diamond Plus gifts delivered to our room ;) (That ended up being 3 dozen chocolate covered strawberries, 1 bottle of Champagne, and one bottle of wind) So forgive me for complaining about the issues.

While we worked on the cruise Anna told us when a pier upgrade happens an ALL STAFF email goes out notifying the appropriate staff of the change. She didn't get any message, so she created it right there and sent it out. Things got better after that. Anna did get our WOW card for this and the expert handling of our next reservation. With Oasis 2016 booked we went back to our room and my shirts still weren't picked up. I walked to guest Services. (I was there on this trip more than any other cruise) The lady at the desk remembered my phone call and was surprised it wasn't picked up. Through a couple of phone calls she got it taken care of. Ok, the absolute worst part of our trip was over! :D

There wasn't much left of Day 2 with the exception of Dinner and mega relaxation, so let me update the Allure vs Freedom scorecard.

SOLARIUM - FREEDOM

SORRENTO'S ALLURE (personal pizza)

THEATER - ALLURE - Freedom theater has blind spots and railings blocking views

PROMENADE - ALLURE - more room less crowded.

MAIN DINING ROOM - DRAW - But those of you who like tables for 2, Allure has more of these.

Coming up Labadee and the over the water cabana!

Oh, I almost forgot the last issue we had because of our room, was in my mind a major one. As I stated earlier, the cruise critic roll calls are important to me as is the Meet and Mingle. On the final days of the roll call I reminded people that it was scheduled for Monday at 10:30 in Oliver and Twist lounge. I told people that occasionally RC forgets to deliver the invitation. I wasn't surprised that I didn't get one. What was a surprise was showing up as the event was ending! They changed it to 10am and sent everyone but me an invitation. Though in fairness, maybe the people in 9342 got that invitation and my drink cups! Anyway, I heard it was a great event and everyone was happy with the staff and prizes. I heard they also asked about me. Wish I could have been there instead of standing in line at Guest Services.

DAY 3 Labadee!

As per usual, our morning started in the Windjammer. I think we arrived at the port at 10am, but we were in the WJ and while crowded, they were handling it well. Freedom's WJ is definitely superior to Allure's.

I was looking forward to our day today. It had been 7 years since we were last at Labadee and much has changed. When we were there last, Barefoot beach was closed and filled with construction materials for the new pier. As mentioned earlier we were able to get a Nellies over the water cabana and we rushed ashore to find it.

labadeeashore.jpg

The place certainly has changed, we were able to make the aproxamately 1/2 mile walk to find the Nellie's Beach just beyond Barefoot Beach Club. We were pointed to the check in area. I thought we were going to run into problems here as the Cabana was reserved for the person who was supposed to be in our cabin. One last frustration caused by the upgrade fairy, but after showing our Sea Pass card they let us have the cabana.

cabanaotw3.jpg

We got comfortable when our Cabana attendant showed up. The first thing he told us was where the cooler was with 6 large bottles of water, our mats and towels were. He also told us he would make sure we got wrist bands for the "enchanced buffet". While the Cabana holds 6, I got it for just my wife and I since we were celebrating our 34th anniversary and we weren't spending a lot of excursions on this trip.

overthewater.jpg

Here is where we climbed down into the water. While this is a wonderful place, this ladder could use some improvement. The rungs are small round bars and after my back surgery I have lost some feeling in my feet. This was difficult for me, but manageable . There was an alternate route to the water, so don't hesitate to get this spot.

cabanaview.jpg

Below is the nearby beach (Nellies) as viewed from our cabana.

nelliesview.jpg

:o Sorry to hear about all the 'issues'! Free strawberries sure are rough issues.

On our family's very first cruise together in 03', mom won the Royal Suite in bingo before sailaway and unbelieveably, we found ourselves with a jacuzzi and self-playing piano....

And minor mishaps of reservation mixups until the end of the cruise, including the younger sisters not understanding that minibar stuff isn't 'free'. Ah well, some upgrade confusion will never change!

Glad to hear the jammer's still a sweet setup, and can I ask where on the Ship Sabor's been put in? It looks like what used to be the nightclub.

We spent a lot of time swimming in the Nellie's area with friends from our roll call and sunning at our cabana. Snorkeling here was not very good. I may have a few photos on my gopro I haven't even checked yet.

Lunch begins around 11am across the area. When I initially asked where our lunch location was, our Cabana attendant wouldn't tell me, he just said he would get us into Barefoot beach. Well, I was hungry and he waited till 11:40 so the people who belonged in the area could get theirs first. I had no problem with that.

enhancedbuffet.jpg

It's been reported that the enhanced buffet has steak and shrimp. This is true. I don't eat shrimp so I ignored that. I did get the steak and a burger along with some fruit and drink. The steak was a little dry, so I would have preferred two hamburgers. Now the steak was ok and the burgers were grilled there over charcoal so they were good. I suppose the nicest part was not having to deal with paper plates and plastic utensils.

Below is a pic of the barefoot beach area I took while we were there.

barefoot.jpg

shipview.jpg

We continued to enjoy our time in the cabana till about 2:45. My wife promised someone a shot glass from Haiti, so our attendant pointed us to the one store were you don't have to deal with overly agressive "artisans"

shopping.jpg

As we went in I had to taser off one of the artisans trying to coax us to the back of the building. I was proud of my wife for resisting the urge.

While at Nellies, one of our roll call friends reminded me about the Welcome back reception for Gold, Platinum, and Emerald guests that was happening that afternoon. They knew we probably wouldn't have gotten our invitation in our room and they were correct. We went, it was what you would expect, except this time Cosmopolitans were added to the drinks offered and they were good.

The Hotel Director and the Captain did have a bit of a comedy routine going that was amusing. It was a good time. A couple of songs from the RC Performers was well received as well.

Dinner that night was from the SHE TALK A menu. Yes, I know its spelled ****ake <- but then that happens! :eek: This is my least favorite menu currently so I went with the Marinated Chicken Breasts. It was good. Dining room service continued to be excellent. We stayed up for the late magic show. He was pretty good. At one point he mentioned being in a hospital in Columbus, Ohio and we clapped because that is what you are supposed to do when someone on stage mentions your town. :rolleyes: Well he asked if we were from Columbus and from the balcony we answered YES. To this he sent out the challenge "O H" to which we are required by law to respond "I O" . We were kind of obnoxious about that all week, but after years of listing to the SEC crap, it was our turn. Speaking of SEC crap someone in the front row took exception to this banter and tried to start arguing with the magician who shut him down. That said, the act was ok, I wouldn't have paid to see it.

DAY 3 Labadee!

Below is the nearby beach (Nellies) as viewed from our cabana.

nelliesview.jpg

That's our cabana below yours, in the lower left hand corner. Not, that's not me but one of our friends who came with us...

Right after lunch we had a 1pm appointment with the NEXTCRUISE PERSON. While I normally would hate having an appointment on vacation, they were very organized on Freedom. On Embarkation day they clearly stated how they worked. You could make an appointment in their book, or show up for first available help. We made the 1pm Monday appointment and were seen right on schedule by a very nice Anna from Spain. She first asked if we knew what cruise we wanted, which I did. She then asked our room number and I told her 1600. She then proceed to say, " I see your Diamond Plus". I then corrected her and told her , as of that day we had enough points to be Diamond, but until the end of the cruise we were still emerald. Confused, she asked our names and I explained about our pier upgrade.

Here is where our trip began to turn around. It was wonderful so far, but the room change had created a few minor (so far) issues for us. One "issue" was getting Diamond Plus gifts delivered to our room ;) (That ended up being 3 dozen chocolate covered strawberries, 1 bottle of Champagne, and one bottle of wind) So forgive me for complaining about the issues.

While we worked on the cruise Anna told us when a pier upgrade happens an ALL STAFF email goes out notifying the appropriate staff of the change. She didn't get any message, so she created it right there and sent it out. Things got better after that. Anna did get our WOW card for this and the expert handling of our next reservation. With Oasis 2016 booked we went back to our room and my shirts still weren't picked up. I walked to guest Services. (I was there on this trip more than any other cruise) The lady at the desk remembered my phone call and was surprised it wasn't picked up. Through a couple of phone calls she got it taken care of. Ok, the absolute worst part of our trip was over! :D

There wasn't much left of Day 2 with the exception of Dinner and mega relaxation, so let me update the Allure vs Freedom scorecard.

SOLARIUM - FREEDOM

SORRENTO'S ALLURE (personal pizza)

THEATER - ALLURE - Freedom theater has blind spots and railings blocking views

PROMENADE - ALLURE - more room less crowded.

MAIN DINING ROOM - DRAW - But those of you who like tables for 2, Allure has more of these.

Coming up Labadee and the over the water cabana!

Looking forward to the rest of your time onboard and your photo's. Will be doing a B2B next April on Freedom so do appreciate the time and effort....K.O.:)

, and can I ask where on the Ship Sabor's been put in? It looks like what used to be the nightclub.

It was the first floor of the old Crypt nightclub Deck 4 forward across from the Schooner Bar.