Come on now ......

As I said in my earlier post I am a firm believer in not judging how able a person is just by looks. That being said, as someone who has frequently had a very good reason to need an elevator, and often been very frustrated that I could not because it was full, I now make a point to not ever get in one that is full if I don't need to be in it, and to get out if my place is needed by someone who actually needs it if I don't.

There are no rules about who can ride the elevator, nor should there be. We should all be polite enough to give our spot to someone who needs it if the situation arises.

It hasnt :rolleyes: And why y'all are making such a big deal out of it over one persons opinion is beyond me.

Talking about making a mountain out of a freakin mole hill. Wow.

What does qualifying for a senior discount have to do with anything?

Well, Ryano I was simply trying to state I am OLD!!!!! I am also physically challenged, as are you. I have been held out of the use of the elevator numerous times. Getting the elevator after muster is almost impossible. I no longer try. I can not use the stairs but, I do not feel more entitled to the use of the elevator than any one else. That is just me.

The majority of folks have gone out of their way be courteous to me. I do mind being judged by others that know nothing about me. Yes, there are those that stand in your way, won't let you in the elevator. But, there are those that get out of the elevator and clear the way so I can get threw too! Life is to short. I don't have the use of my legs, but sure do know how to smile!

I am not trying to make a big deal. Just wanted to give MY opinion and only mine. Thought that was the function of these boards. Sorry.

Edited by Aboat1

How are you the one to decide if a person SHOULD use the elevator? The only requirement for whether or not I SHOULD use the elevator.. is... If I WANT to use the elevator. That is up to me.. not you, or anyone else. Does not matter how far I ride or how fit I am, I have every right to use it.

Exactly my point. YOU should decide when you use the elevator but COMMON COURTESY should dictate that at certain times you should not use the elevator.

Edited by Sascol

Exactly my point. YOU should decide when you use the elevator but COMMON COURTESY should dictate that at certain times you should not use trhe elevator.

I'm pretty sure that was not even close to the point he was making. :)

So ... not your point.

Further, following your train of thought, the most courteous drivers would be the ones that do not drive. LOL

Probably lots of people are saying this, but you can't always tell by looks (as to the use of the elevators.) We don't look like the geriatric set, but my wife has problems with her knees, so stairs give her problems. Particularly going DOWN stairs. And I'm sure someone might get annoyed at how slowly she has to do stairs. On cruises, if she's not having a bad day, she'll go down a flight or 2, and maybe up 3 or 4, but that might not be very fast.

Such an entertaining thread. And also a very sad thread.

I find it sad that the OP could only find things to complain about. When I am on a cruise, I could care less what someone is wearing or who is using the elevator.

Now hand washing is a different story. I would like to think that everyone has clean hands when they eat. But I know they don't.

I ride elevators on cruise ships and I don't defend my right to do so. I'm not giving out my age, or any physical issues I might have. Not anyone's business but my own. If there are folks who look frail or who are handicapped waiting for an elevator with me, I gladly wait for another one. Plain and simple. What a thread!!

To call folks who ride elevators lazy, simply because they don't outwardly seem physically handicapped is presumptious and unfair.

Wait.. is this an elevator issue thread or hand washing thread :confused::p

I ride elevators on cruise ships and I don't defend my right to do so. I'm not giving out my age, or any physical issues I might have. Not anyone's business but my own. If there are folks who look frail or who are handicapped waiting for an elevator with me, I gladly wait for another one. Plain and simple. What a thread!!

To call folks who ride elevators lazy, simply because they don't outwardly seem physically handicapped is presumptious and unfair.

Wait.. is this an elevator issue thread or hand washing thread :confused::p

It is amazingly not a dress code thread even though that was one of the OP's original rants. :)

Wait just a second ...

What is the dress code for taking the stairs? Is the same if you didn't use hand sanitizer? :)

It is amazingly not a dress code thread even though that was one of the OP's original rants. :)

Wait just a second ...

What is the dress code for taking the stairs? Is the same if you didn't use hand sanitizer? :)

I know you meant that as a joke. But we have already had a thread on what is appropriate to wear in the elevator when traveling to and from your cabin and pool deck. No dress code subject is too lame for discussion around here.

I know you meant that as a joke. But we have already had a thread on what is appropriate to wear in the elevator when traveling to and from your cabin and pool deck. No dress code subject is too lame for discussion around here.

Oh, I know. That bath robe to the pool thread went over 350 posts.

At least I didn't mention Smoking ... in the elevator on formal night while wearing jeans and a T-Shirt with dirty hands ... OOPS :)

We like to take the elevator so my toddler can push the buttons;)

Just kidding . . . we don't have a toddler (that was for all the kids-on-a-cruise haters) LOL

But seriously, if I want to take the elevator, guess what, I'm going to take the elevator --- that's why it's there.

Oh, I know. That bath robe to the pool thread went over 350 posts.

At least I didn't mention Smoking ... in the elevator on formal night while wearing jeans and a T-Shirt with dirty hands ... OOPS :)

LOL

You forgot to mention that they also left towels on 6 chairs in the sun and 6 chairs in the shade at the pool for the entire day!!!!!

:D

I think riding the elevator is anyone's right, whether you can walk stairs or not. Having the elevator stop on almost every floor sometimes is just part of being on the ship. If people ride the elevator for one floor, I don't care. Getting wound up over this on a cruise would take away some of the enjoyment of being on the ship.

I have heart issues, however my DH and I are stair walkers when at all possible. My limit is 6 decks up without a rest, but going down is unlimited. Funny that you should mention vertigo, though. When walking down stairs on some ships, I get vertigo from the changing carpet patterns on the threads. I do not use the hand rails, so I have to look down when walking. Those patterns can throw me off and make me skip a step. :rolleyes::D:eek:

I use my non-prominent hand - the left - to pick up and use the tongs...this after a hand washing in the restroom and then using the hand sanitizer.

I get vertigo from those patterns just standing still!:eek::D

As for the hand sanitizer, I won't use it unless I've forgotten mine. I hate how it dries out my skin and contributes to the wreckage that is my fingernails.

Thanks for the laughs.

Oh man I missed the bathrobe to the pool thread. Darn the luck. I do remember the one about the guy going in his pajamas to the concierge lounge to get coffee in the morning.

Now THAT made me giggle :D

. When walking down stairs on some ships, I get vertigo from the changing carpet patterns on the threads. I do not use the hand rails, so I have to look down when walking. Those patterns can throw me off and make me skip a step. :rolleyes::D:eek:

If I did not use the handrails and found that carpet patterns threw me off and made me skip a step, I think I would quickly learn to use the handrails.