Are Princess losing the plot

Chrisbha

NCL folks are upset because they won't be able to take food out of Buffet to their Cabins.

Some think it's because NCL doesn't want PAXS to avoid paying the new $7.95 Room

Service charge. Coffee and danish still free. SO,some people are really mad, some don't

care. Some were mad cause NCL didn't notify them. Oh, NCL said they were doing this

to keep Ships clean. They been giving the Booze package away for months. Got to be

plenty of empties around. My point is all Lines seem to be cutting a little to close to

"the bone". Some folks are getting sick of it. Princess needs more new ships quick. I

enjoyed Royal, but have been on NCL since, because I'm sick of being treated like

Cattle by Airlines and Airports.

NCL folks are upset because they won't be able to take food out of Buffet to their Cabins.

Some think it's because NCL doesn't want PAXS to avoid paying the new $7.95 Room Service charge. Coffee and danish still free. SO,some people are really mad, some don't care.

But, they also "reduced many specialty dining prices by a nickel."

Frequent cruisers are only valuable in the realm of low acquisition cost.

I think they serve one additional purpose when the top 3 most traveled passengers/couples are singled out at CC parties and their cruises/days, and the number of Elites, etc. are announced, and the top most MTP is featured on the Patter. It's a case where they can provide proof that the Princess product MUST be good because all these people are returning time and again.

This ignores that fact that, in my experience, some of the most traveled are the biggest complainers (or, as was told to us by a CC host, "why do they keep coming back when they dislike us so much?"). It also doesn't work for skeptics like me who really aren't concerned with reviews or what people like or don't, as long as I can be happy with the product.

this ignores that fact that, in my experience, some of the most traveled are the biggest complainers (or, as was told to us by a cc host, "why do they keep coming back when they dislike us so much?"). It also doesn't work for skeptics like me who really aren't concerned with reviews or what people like or don't, as long as i can be happy with the product.

+1 :)

[quote name=PescadoAmarillo;46503454

This ignores that fact that' date=' in my experience, some of the most traveled are the biggest complainers (or, as was told to us by a CC host, "why do they keep coming back when they dislike us so much?"). It also doesn't work for skeptics like me who really aren't concerned with reviews or what people like or don't, as long as I can be happy with the product.[/quote]

Not to defend anyone but the some complainers really don't see themselves in that light. They feel as though their comments are being constructive & helpful when if they could take a step back & listen to themselves they might not be as critical.

We often enjoy listening to them to get a feel of their discontent .....for a while & if it gets to bad we just move on & get a laugh behind their backs. :D

Edited by Miss Pat

Not to defend anyone but the some complainers really don't see themselves in that light. They feel as though their comments are being constructive & helpful when if they could take a step back & listen to themselves they might not be as critical.

We often enjoy listening to them to get a feel of their discontent .....for a while & if it gets to bad we just move on & get a laugh behind their backs. :D

Good point.

You can always ask for as many lobster tails as you want... so what's the point in complaining about the size? Get 2... get 20! Does it really matter when you can eat lobster until you pop if that's the choice you choose to make?

If they served lobster in the buffet you could get 20 - in the MDR however you get one and if you then order a second one your spouse will be through the dessert before your second one arrives. Same is true about sending poorly cooked food back, not worth it.

If they served lobster in the buffet you could get 20 - in the MDR however you get one and if you then order a second one your spouse will be through the dessert before your second one arrives. Same is true about sending poorly cooked food back, not worth it.

The server has always brought out a plate full. No reason to interrupt the flow of the meal. Takes him/her a few minutes to go get more if the plate is emptied.

To the OP, when did you last sale? I think it's undeniable that the standard of cruising from even a few years ago has slipped and become more of sales on board ala the low fare airline model. However, a lot of what you have said seems on par with things from the last year or two.

I read on the HAL boards and elsewhere that RCCL's business plan moving forward is to raise prices and sail with empty cabins. The "Carnival" method of sailing where the line must get bodies in the cabins and they will buy drinks etc to cover any losses on cabin discounts clearly doesn't work for all markets. I think that some of the upmarket lines are realizing that if you charge a bit more, its more likely to bring clientele that spend a bit more when they get on board. The net effect is more profit.

So the question is then whether the public will react favorably and continue to book cruises at the higher prices, or will they find other vacations?

Well.....here is the reality.. Princess is a nice line but no where near premimum by todays standards the majority of new passengers shop for price and are looking for Bordeaux on a beer budget.

Travelers seeing the declines in the " economy/mass market cruise segment"(Carnival, Rccl, Princess, Costa)" have discovered you get what you pay for.

Thus the increasing popularity of the luxury cruise segment Crystal, Seabourn, Regent and Oceania where its all inclusive from Air fare to drinks... on smaller under 1000 pax ships where there is no "selling" and lines and waits are non-existant. You pay one price, up front and that's it! No bar bills, extra tips, restraint charges, port, tax,etc etc....

While the fares are much higher the return in value is outstanding. Princess charges around 120 to 200pp per day..... Lux lines charge $300-600 pp per day

Is it worth it??

Well lots of folks think so as it is the real growth area of cruising with no shortage of passengers.

People are saying, well I will take less cruises but I will take far better ones. Ouanity is not quality and what was once premium..or sold as premium no longer is or can.

The server has always brought out a plate full. No reason to interrupt the flow of the meal. Takes him/her a few minutes to go get more if the plate is emptied.

This has not been my experience. I asked for a second lobster on a previous cruise and the server had to order another complete plate of food including the sides. This took about 15-20 minutes.

I often wonder why most cruise ship captains are either Italian or Greek.

Money... I had a friend who was an American merchant marine deck officer.The captain was from Greece.

There was a lot of friction because as Jr Officer, the American made 3 times what the captain did!!!!

As soon as you see the size of the first one get the order in.

Same with everything once you gauge the portion order more first time, extra starters double lobster etc.

Some people are not the seasoned cruisers they claim to be.

That is a good point from a marketing standpoint.

These numbers are old, but back when I worked with Princess, the average new cruiser spent about 45 percent more than someone with 3 cruises or more under their belt, and 60 percent more than those who had more than 10.- Again, this is on average, please no "Well I spend..."

The advantage to repeat cruisers is they don't cost much to bring on (the perks themselves don't actually cost much), so they represent a reliable way of filling half the ships. BUT, if the lines thought they could get the same capacity easily with new cruisers, every perk would vanish in a second.

As far as complainers, that made me think of something recent on Heald's FB page. Carnival just upped the requirements for admission to the VIP party and eliminated their gold level - instead, that level gets a free drink coupon. The reason they did this is because many many people were complaining the party had gotten so big you couldn't even get a drink. So of course, those same people are now complaining about the solution to a problem THEY asked Carnival to solve. (And you should see some of the comments).

I think they serve one additional purpose when the top 3 most traveled passengers/couples are singled out at CC parties and their cruises/days, and the number of Elites, etc. are announced, and the top most MTP is featured on the Patter. It's a case where they can provide proof that the Princess product MUST be good because all these people are returning time and again.

This ignores that fact that, in my experience, some of the most traveled are the biggest complainers (or, as was told to us by a CC host, "why do they keep coming back when they dislike us so much?"). It also doesn't work for skeptics like me who really aren't concerned with reviews or what people like or don't, as long as I can be happy with the product.

If a person drives a Ford and has only driven a Ford and will continue to buy a Ford, then the only car/truck that the person is familiar with is a Ford. Thus any complaints will only be about the Ford product.

Same with the cruisers who only cruise on Princess.

... and the top most MTP is featured on the Patter.

I always thought that would invade my privacy.

On a recent cruise, the couple was listed as:

"Mr. & Mrs. <lastname>, of USA"

Apparently, they felt the same way.

BUT, if the lines thought they could get the same capacity easily with new cruisers, every perk would vanish in a second.

I agree completely and have said just that here for years. The CC perks and resignation give many people a warm feeling toward Princess but I wouldn't consider any of them to be permanent and do expect significant reductions in the future, even in the absence of boatloads of new passengers.

Because ethnic foods are not to your liking does not mean the food is awful, it means you personally don't care for that type of food. Why eat food in the buffet you know you will not like when there are so many other places to eat? Why not look at the menus ahead of time so you won't be disappointed?

Hi All

Why are so many ships Captains from Italy ,Greece etc very simple history, these countries have a very high demand for ships Captains and as such the education facilities to train them, the world's largest shipping companies all used to be based here, you can still find children that want to be a ships Captain when they grow up, ever heard a US child say that.

Princess training facility is not in the US but in Amsterdam.

Yours Shogun

I agree with just about every thought in this post - except perhaps the speculation on Carnival/Princess business motivations.

I'm just off a really fantastic cruise on the Regal - which was a redeeming surprise after an generally unsatisfactory Royal cruise the previous year (in retrospect remind self to NEVER cruise at Christmas). That said' date=' while I appreciate the Royal class ships and what the offer, the line just isn't feeling like the Princess I fell in love with. I've dabbled a bit with Cunard and it's fine for what it is, but it isn't going to be my new go-to. I was so frustrated with the lack of 10day Caribbean options and PRICING for next winter that I'm actually going to try HAL. I normally take a minisuite and after my Regal cruise would only go on one of the extended balcony minis mid-ship but on HAL I saved over $1400 and got a suite. I doubt they will be my new go-to but it's a great itinerary and I'm sure it will be "fine."

For all of you who commented about Princess Live - it's going away on the next new ship. That whole area including the Wheelhouse and Crown Grill are being reconfigured. (heard this on the Regal).[/quote']

Happy to learn about Princess Live. A little late to learn that mistake. Now if they could sell the Royal class and come back with an improved Sapphire I'd be thrilled.

Happy to learn about Princess Live. A little late to learn that mistake. Now if they could sell the Royal class and come back with an improved Sapphire I'd be thrilled.

Other posts have indicated Princess Live! still lives on the next ship, but possibly in a different location.