Sail Away Gang - in living Colour - a photo review

1of4

I have been cruising the Mexican Riviera since 1989 and there was always the presence of the Mexican Navy with guns. They even had sailors with large guns patrolling the beaches. They were there for our protection not to intimidate us.

I have been cruising the Mexican Riviera since 1989 and there was always the presence of the Mexican Navy with guns. They even had sailors with large guns patrolling the beaches. They were there for our protection not to intimidate us.

This was our first time so we didn't know....

Okay lets try this again.

It was just DD and I in port that day. We didn't go into town as I was too intimidated so we went into the shops at the port.

ry%3D400

We went into all the shops. DD bought some gifts for friends in one shop and in my second time in the silver shop I did buy a bracelet but I was prepared to walk away as I am not too comfortable with negotiating and I thought the price was too high. Somehow it magically got cut in half.

ry%3D400

I saw the pool and facilities at the other end of the pier but DD didn't want to investigate, she only wanted to get back onboard...so we did.

ry%3D400

It was formal night so we started getting ready a bit earlier. Then when our boys came back and were ready we went to happy hour in the Ocean Bar before dinner.

DD tried her new hairpiece for her graduation dinner in June:

ry%3D400

Then we had a few pictures taken. I was given permission to take a few with my camera:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

DH only took photos with his cell and he, so far, has only shared 2 with me:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The sunset was just as nice as the sunrise so after dinner and dropping DS and DD at Club HAL I was chasing it trying to get a nice picture. Too bad I didn't know then that I could go through the gym to a front facing balcony. Live and learn.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Wednesday April 22 found the Westerdam making its way into the dock in Huatulco. It was a beautiful sunrise in a beautiful port. This was our "family beach day" and it was made even better by bumping into Mumsysailor and her DH on the beach. We shared a table and had so much fun in the water. It was a hot day with sun. A perfect day for a beach day with friends.

As the sun started to rise we were almost docked:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Look at those colours!

ry%3D400

We didn't see the beach until we went to the Lido for breakfast. We went to the port side that day to see what we could see. Off our balcony before breakfast I could only see this beach:

ry%3D400

I couldn't get enough of the peaceful scene of the sunrise over the sailboat knowing it was snowing at home:

ry%3D400

The colour of the water was beautiful:

ry%3D400

The last of the sunrise...I couldn't resist getting the telephoto lens and capturing the pelicans resting on the hook up for the sailboat.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

DD and DS had their bathing suits on under their clothes at breakfast but DH and I had to go back to the cabin and change. So it wasn't long before we were on the lovely beach right there at the dock, perhaps a 3 minute walk.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

In no time we were in the water playing the DD and DS while DH ordered the cervezas in a bucket. Nice!

ry%3D400

DS started on a building project:

ry%3D400

Normally we wouldn't do something like this but a man came along with a lizard and it was $5 to take a picture with it....well what are vacations for if not doing something a bit different than you would at home...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We had had our fun and the sun was getting a bit hot, even in the shade, for our pale skin. DH wanted to look about but DS wanted to go back to the ship as the Lido's pasta station was calling. By now a bunch of the crew were enjoying the beach and some of activities. This group was about to go out on a banana boat.

ry%3D400

One more picture before getting back on the pier:

ry%3D400

The flowers on the pier were beautiful:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Then it was time to go through the identity check. This is when I realized that I had not brought our passports. I always did as it is the only photo ID we have for DD and DS. The officer held DS's ship card for a longer than normal time. I was beginning to worry but tried to keep a straight face as I didn't want DS to worry. He wore it on a lanyard and the officer just held it, probably for only a minute but it felt much longer. He finally dropped it and then he looked at mine for only a few seconds and we were on our way back to the ship. Phew!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

great pics Gail.

As to the passport issue, if I may, I suggest you take copies of your passports, much easier and less risky in these ports than carrying the passport.

I realized that I was missing a nice pic in Guatemala. Remember when some of us went "down"? Great pic of your DS. dark, but I will post it later on my live thread.

Sorry, somehow a couple pics didn't load and I just found out. I was wondering where a few were which made me redo and it and low and behold it was there!

1 of 4 - at Huatulco, they did that with my DH's drivers license. The officer held on to it and looked at him then the picture for probably at least a full minute. He got a new drivers license less than a year ago, so it looks like him; they were just being very careful I guess.

Edited by retired714

great pics Gail.

As to the passport issue, if I may, I suggest you take copies of your passports, much easier and less risky in these ports than carrying the passport.

I realized that I was missing a nice pic in Guatemala. Remember when some of us went "down"? Great pic of your DS. dark, but I will post it later on my live thread.

Sorry, somehow a couple pics didn't load and I just found out. I was wondering where a few were which made me redo and it and low and behold it was there!

Thanks for the picture Kazu. DH had mentioned that DS was fascinated by the catacombs.

We had brought copies of the passports but DH said they are not official documents so would not be good enough for ID purposes and the ship said each and every time to bring photo ID. I just forgot in Huatulco as the beach was "right there". I won't forget again.

1 of 4 - at Huatulco, they did that with my DH's drivers license. The officer held on to it and looked at him then the picture for probably at least a full minute. He got a new drivers license less than a year ago, so it looks like him; they were just being very careful I guess.

DS just had his ship card with no picture so I am not sure what he was looking at for so long. I just heaved a heavy sigh of relief when he let it go. DH had his driver's license with him so we would have gone back to find him if they wouldn't let DS through. Perhaps your DH and my DS looked suspicious! :p

The next day was a sea day before reaching Puerto Vallarta. Another sunny day with no humidity so I actually had to ask for an extra blanket for the bed. Nobody else needed one...just me!

ry%3D400

I can't remember exactly what we did but I know we went to Dancing with the Stars to cheer on members of our roll call:

ry%3D400

I also would have worked on a jigsaw puzzle in the not-so-quiet library:

ry%3D400

We also had dinner reservations in the PG as DH was departing in San Diego so we fed DD and DS in the Lido and watched the sun set.

The dinner was very enjoyable until half an hour into it we were in the side room and a very noisy group of 8 came in. So it was just us and them and they were bigger and louder than us. We had to ask Clifford if we could please move into the main room as the group was talking so loudly we couldn't hear each other and their topics for conversation were less than desirable and belonged more in a rowdy bar than a fine dining establishment.

Of course they allowed us to move with much apologizing.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Thanks for the picture Kazu. DH had mentioned that DS was fascinated by the catacombs.

We had brought copies of the passports but DH said they are not official documents so would not be good enough for ID purposes and the ship said each and every time to bring photo ID. I just forgot in Huatulco as the beach was "right there". I won't forget again.

DS just had his ship card with no picture so I am not sure what he was looking at for so long. I just heaved a heavy sigh of relief when he let it go. DH had his driver's license with him so we would have gone back to find him if they wouldn't let DS through. Perhaps your DH and my DS looked suspicious! :p

You are very welcome for the pic. Your DS had fun there :)

As to the copies of the passports, we have used that as our photo i.d. many times and never had an issue. They are colour copies.

Woops! So sorry but I forgot that we saw the Indonesian Crew Show after leaving Huatulco. It was scheduled for 3:00 in the afternoon instead of 11:00 at night. This change meant that this was our first crew show ever.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We enjoyed it very much.

After dinner we went to the Vista Lounge again to see the show:

ry%3D400

Throughout the cruise we really enjoyed the B.B. King band playing in the Queen's Lounge. But I am very glad we moved our cabin from under the Queen's Lounge to deck 4.

ry%3D400

You are very welcome for the pic. Your DS had fun there :)

As to the copies of the passports, we have used that as our photo i.d. many times and never had an issue. They are colour copies.

I have a small plastic coverlet that I keep colored copies of our passports in -- they go in my small purse.

I love this thread, thanks so much for all the great pictures. I remember being a bit disconcerted the first time (2005) we cruised to Mexico and our first stop in Cabo had the fully armed ships, so I totally understand how you son felt. After I found out they were there to protect the cruise ship, I felt a bit better, but it's still a bit unnerving. MY DS was 10 at the time and he felt the same way. :)

You have inspired me to look into donating on our next cruise. Unfortunately its only 6 months away, so hopefully I'll have enough time to get things organized. Any tips, ideas, suggestions or recommendations you can give would be greatly appreciated.

This was our first time so we didn't know....

The 1st time we were cruising Mexican Riviera the military presence scared me too. But after someone explained that they were there to protect us, I was able to relax a wee bit. But still it's a bit scary to see those huge weapons.

BTW- your DS & DD would be a welcome addition to any cruise. They both look like great kids.

Question for those who just returned via San Diego....did you find you needed a sweater or light jacket there. I know it was HOT during the canal and Mexican port stops.

During the day in San Diego no sweater or jacket was required. I was back on the ship for evening but I will ask DH when he is home. Update: men no, women yes (DH just got home).

If you stay on the ship you will need a sweater and pants for the coastal portion. I didn't bring anything but what we flew to Ft. Lauderdale with and I was cold and so was DD.

But I had a feeling that would be the case as I felt the weather shift at night once we hit Puerto Vallarta. What better reason to go shopping in San Diego? :p Horton's Plaza is an easy walk and everything we bought was on sale. :) :)

The 1st time we were cruising Mexican Riviera the military presence scared me too. But after someone explained that they were there to protect us, I was able to relax a wee bit. But still it's a bit scary to see those huge weapons.

BTW- your DS & DD would be a welcome addition to any cruise. They both look like great kids.

Thanks - it was the weapons that scared him (and me).

Thank you again for your comment on DD and DS. :)

During the day in San Diego no sweater or jacket was required. I was back on the ship for evening but I will ask DH when he is home. Update: men no, women yes (DH just got home).

If you stay on the ship you will need a sweater and pants for the coastal portion. I didn't bring anything but what we flew to Ft. Lauderdale with and I was cold and so was DD.

But I had a feeling that would be the case as I felt the weather shift at night once we hit Puerto Vallarta. What better reason to go shopping in San Diego? :p Horton's Plaza is an easy walk and everything we bought was on sale. :) :)

Thank you. We are leaving the ship in SD and driving up the coast to Seattle. Will fly home from there. Just wondered if I needed to keep a sweater in the carry on for the first day or two in SD. But I like the idea of shopping close by. :D

Edited by dixiefinn

I love this thread, thanks so much for all the great pictures. I remember being a bit disconcerted the first time (2005) we cruised to Mexico and our first stop in Cabo had the fully armed ships, so I totally understand how you son felt. After I found out they were there to protect the cruise ship, I felt a bit better, but it's still a bit unnerving. MY DS was 10 at the time and he felt the same way. :)

You have inspired me to look into donating on our next cruise. Unfortunately its only 6 months away, so hopefully I'll have enough time to get things organized. Any tips, ideas, suggestions or recommendations you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...I am making a 12 x 12 photobook of this cruise. This is something I do each year and for each big vacation. Since I am loading the photos into Shutterfly anyway it is easy to post them here. I appreciate knowing that you are enjoying them.

It was Kazu that got the ball rolling for the school visit. I think what happened is that the tour guide she chose for a private tour in Guatemala suggested visiting the school. I think that info is still up on her amazing spreadsheets she made for the cruise just go to the Guatemala tab. Kazu told the roll call about it and it morphed into bringing items to support the school.

I only mention what we had done after it was over to the senior staff that circulate in the dining room and they both said they wished they had of known what we were doing. But we had learned from others that went before us that it should be kept low key so the supplies can be delivered to the school. If the port authorities find out they may confiscate the supplies. That is why we all brought them in the HAL blue bags. If the ship got involved there is no way for the authorities NOT to notice.

Kazu I hope I haven't mucked up my description!

We arrived off the coast of Puerto Vallarta on Friday April 24. It was clear from the time I got up that this was a larger port and a city.

ry%3D400

Here comes the pilot...sorry for the blurry pictures. I wasn't using a flash just adjusted my ISO settings to let in more light.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We docked just after 7:30 and the sun was just starting to rise:

ry%3D400

Wal-Mart and Sam's Club was just off the right side of the photo:

ry%3D400