Sail Away Gang - in living Colour - a photo review

1of4

We went up for breakfast in the Lido and bumped into some of our roll call members who have done this cruise before. They offered suggestions on where to go since we had no tour booked. It sounded like a great plan but DS would have none of it. He was honestly afraid.

None-the-less we did get off the ship to walk about the port area and there were some tour operators there and one looked very nice and was a reasonable cost. He was very interested in showing DD and DS his city and he really tried hard to get DS to relax. But DS would have none of it. I suggested Dh and DD go but DD would have none of that so there was no tour for us that day.

We heard the BB King band talking and they told us where the local beach was but it was not to be either. All we did was walk around the flea market area that is right outside the port gates.

ry%3D400

DH used the bank machine in the port area to get some American $ for tips. While he was doing that I bought some vanilla and DD and DS bought the only T-shirts of the voyage. All inside the port area (not in the flea market).

While we had lunch DD remembered that I had collected free tanzanite earring coupons from the port shopping guides so DD and DH went after lunch to collect them. She gave them to her two best friends.

I must say that the port shopping guides on the Westerdam were very nice. I am not a port shopper - or not very much - and we missed a lecture where they were giving out charms for the DI charm bracelets. I went to them during their hours and said I missed their talk and if there was anyway DD could get the charm. That night 12 charms were delivered to our mail slot. 2 each of 6 charms. How nice was that?! :)

ry%3D400

So unfortunately that is all I have on Puerto Vallarta. But not too worry, I make up for it in Cabo San Lucas! ;)

ry%3D400

A bit off topic but I just noticed this and thought I would share. Our first family cruise was in 2011 on the Volendam to Alaska. DS was 7 and DD was 10.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Our second cruise was New Years 2013 on the Ryndam. DD was 12 and DS 9:

ry%3D400

A few days later on Disney Magic:

ry%3D400

This cruise was our third on Holland America and DS is 10 and DD is 13:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

My favorite Mexican port is Puerto Vallarta. It is the most "European" one. I've always felt very safe there. Maybe another time.

I remember you posting about wearing those kilts at dinner ! I think the overwheling response was "fabulous"!

Edited by nana51

April 25 dawned with a spectacular sunrise. When it was light enough to actually see we were intrigued to see more.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We, once again, had breakfast in the Lido and followed instructions to get on a tender.

Our deck 4 starboard balcony allowed us a good view of the hard working crew getting the tenders ready:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

But the sunrise kept taking my attention:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

It was just before 9:00 when the four of us arrived at the Queen's Lounge to get our tender tickets. There was a short line to reach the CD who was the holder of the golden tickets to allow us the leave the confines of the Westerdam. We were looking for 4 tickets and just our luck he had 4 #15 tickets left.

We found a seat and waited perhaps 20 minutes max until our number was announced. They were loading 2 tenders at a time one deck apart. Our number was for the lower tender.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

A bit off topic but I just noticed this and thought I would share. Our first family cruise was in 2011 on the Volendam to Alaska. DS was 7 and DD was 10.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Our second cruise was New Years 2013 on the Ryndam. DD was 12 and DS 9:

ry%3D400

A few days later on Disney Magic:

ry%3D400

This cruise was our third on Holland America and DS is 10 and DD is 13:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Beautiful pictures of your children.

Can't believe how long your DD's hair was in 2011.

Question for those who just returned via San Diego....did you find you needed a sweater or light jacket there. I know it was HOT during the canal and Mexican port stops.

We didn't disembark in San Diego, but we did spend the day there. I had on a light blouse. The Cc member that met us had on a short sleeved top.

We had no need for a sweater of jacket on that day at all and we spent time in San Diego proper as well as around the port where the breezes were blowing.

that doesn't mean you shouldn't pack something in case, but the weather was lovely there for us.

Enjoying your thread 10f4 :)

Thanks...I am making a 12 x 12 photobook of this cruise. This is something I do each year and for each big vacation. Since I am loading the photos into Shutterfly anyway it is easy to post them here. I appreciate knowing that you are enjoying them.

It was Kazu that got the ball rolling for the school visit. I think what happened is that the tour guide she chose for a private tour in Guatemala suggested visiting the school. I think that info is still up on her amazing spreadsheets she made for the cruise just go to the Guatemala tab. Kazu told the roll call about it and it morphed into bringing items to support the school.

I only mention what we had done after it was over to the senior staff that circulate in the dining room and they both said they wished they had of known what we were doing. But we had learned from others that went before us that it should be kept low key so the supplies can be delivered to the school. If the port authorities find out they may confiscate the supplies. That is why we all brought them in the HAL blue bags. If the ship got involved there is no way for the authorities NOT to notice.

Kazu I hope I haven't mucked up my description!

not at all. The school was scheduled to be a stop and when our guide included the website, I went looking and things happened from there.

The only thing is that the children's school is not on the spread sheet. We took it off some time ago to keep it private to be low key, but if anyone wants any info, or to see the spread sheet for ideas, they just need to email me (the link is in my signature) and I will happily share the link with them.

FWIW, a couple staff on board did know as they assisted with the extra HAL bags and they concurred that the way we were doing it was right.

My favorite Mexican port is Puerto Vallarta. It is the most "European" one. I've always felt very safe there. Maybe another time.

I remember you posting about wearing those kilts at dinner ! I think the overwheling response was "fabulous"!

The kilts were for our vow renewal cruise. You are right, the response was overwhelming for both my guys.

I grew up in Montreal which is very European. I like Boston for the same reason; I feel very at home there. I guess we will have to give Puerto Vallarta another try. :)

I was able to get a few pictures from the tender back towards the Westerdam:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

It was a magnificent day weather wise; hard to imagine it could get better!

ry%3D400

We loved Cabo San Lucas! All four of us. Once off the tender we planned just to walk around. The tour operators had a different idea and they were presenting us with a myriad of options. We kept declining until one enterprising young man stuck with us half way down the sea walk. DS really wanted to go. The price went from $40 US each to $40 total. Now how could we say no, especially since DS was so excited about going out on a glass bottomed boat?

So out we went. It was fabulous!

ry%3D400

In no time we were off and being followed:

ry%3D400

DD and DS were enthralled to be so close; within touching distance (but fingers were kept safely inside the boat):

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Seems some pirates like Cabo as well....

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The water was so clear we could see the fish. DS couldn't get over this:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We were in a small boat. Our guide was very skilled in getting us as close as we wanted to be.

ry%3D400

A cave

ry%3D400

small beaches

ry%3D400

Even a beach that had the Pacific on one side and the Sea of Cortez on the other:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I can certify that there are no seals or sea lions in the Great Lakes so DD and DS were really excited to see them:

ry%3D400

I can't say the same for them though. They got pretty loud the closer the boat got to them.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Time to move on. No pelicans on pelican rock. We will catch them on the way back. We were moving on to the Pacific. This was very exciting and a new experience for DD and DS (DH too).

ry%3D400

The next series of photo were taken from the Pacific looking back towards the Sea of Cortez:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Hotels facing the Pacific:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Much more "motion" on the Pacific side so back round we go. Oh look: the pelicans are back on their rock!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

This time we went very close to the arch:

ry%3D400

I think every rock is Pelican rock...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We were heading back to the marina after our 45 minute tour.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

DS couldn't get over this yacht with the "shrink wrapped" helicopter. It made quite an impression on him, especially after visiting the children's school. Later that morning we were told by someone who lives in Cabo that this same yacht is the smallest of four owned by the same man. DS just can't understand why one person would have 4 yachts and asked DH that if he sold it how many schools could he build. His teacher phoned us to tell us that DS has told the whole class about this yacht and making the comparison to building schools.

The seals were still sunning themselves

ry%3D400

Here is another picture of the yacht

ry%3D400

We arrived back at the marina after watching sea lions try to get into the bait boxes of returning fishing boats. Sorry no picture of that. We tipped our guide as it was an excellent tour and we were so glad DS changed his mind and wanted to go.

No sooner did we get back on the sea walk that we saw this:

ry%3D400

Now since I am prone to vertigo, I didn't spend any time looking up to see what was going on (tipping my head is one of my triggers):

ry%3D400

We walked along the wall as we wanted to get to Diamonds International to pick up the last of the free tanzanite earrings for DD to give to friends.

ry%3D400

Well her free earrings meant a very nice gift for me! ;) Who knew? I came away a very happy lady!

It wasn't even noon yet so we walked back and bumped into Vict0rann (sp? sorry Ann!) and her DH so we all returned together. When we got to the dock a new tender was just loading so it was perfect timing.