News from Noordam in Alaska Inside Passage

Crew News

Great review. A quick question if you have the time. Do they sell cigarettes on board and what is the price? Thanks in advance

The current price for a two-carton box of Marlboro is $67. You can take the cigarettes with you. They no longer have the 5-carton box specials.

I will let you know all of the available brands when the Shops open tomorrow.

Feel free to ask any question. Because I am on the first Noordam cruise to Alaska, my goal is to answer questions for those who will follow as well as collect all of the menus to help others plan their Noordam dining experience.

Edited by Crew News

Not Mr. Jett but hope the Mrs will do?:D

Simple answer is unfortunately No:(

Apparently they are testing at various times on various ships. Hubby has bought 2 different packages of I believe 250 minutes for the Pacific Coastal leg and this, our first Alaska week.

Being able to use our cell phones as hot spots in US ports will keep us with enough time left for turn around day on Saturday.

Joanie

Thank you for replying. I guess I can just cross my fingers re the Veendam for next month.

The unlimited had the added bonus of allowing FB friends to message each other around the ship as to where to meet up etc. Easy because we were always connected.

Please report back on the dog sledding. :)

As you requested, this report is about my very favorite scenic excursion in my Alaska cruise history.

My helicopter had five passengers. With the 70-degree temps here in Skagway, wearing warm clothing and the donning our orange safety vest, made a steamy start for our excursion. The overshoes made walking an adventure throughout the excursion. No bags, tablets, walking sticks, etc., were allowed on the helicopter.

The flight to the dog camp was a tour of the mountain passes and glaciers before landing in the dog camp snow. With the arrival of the helicopters, 240 dogs began barking in hopes of being selected to lead a sled.

After a safety briefing on how to lean if the sled begins to tip over, an explanation of how to set the brakes, and deciding who would mush the small sled towed behind, we were introduced to the dogs. Each name and personality was explained as we performed a lot of head and back scratching of the dogs. I was surprised how small the dogs actually were.

Our musher, Riley, controlled the front sled and one of our group of three mushed the towed sled (just to stomp on the break to keep the front sled from crashing into the lead sled). Three adults and one 6-month old baby were in my group. The baby had to ride in the backseat to protect it from the flying snow, which left me to ride in the front seat.

With our brakes on both sleds pressed into the snow, the dogs were attached to their harnesses. When Riley took his place on the runners of my sled and in a soft voice said, "Go," my head snapped backwards as the 10 dogs took off as fast as they could. Ice crystals hit my face as 80 paws dug into the snow as we raced along the snow trail. I felt every bump through the wooden seat and dreamed of a nice stadium cushion. Every 15 minutes, the musher stopped to let the dogs cool by rolling in the snow. The dogs were used to working in below-zero temperatures and not the 40=degree temperatures on the mountain.

Taking photographs with extremely darkened eyeglass lenses in a bouncing sled was not easy. I will be working on the photos for a few weeks to convert them to jpg files.

After at least one hour of actual riding, we returned to the dog camp, scratched 10 furry heads, and then met the latest litter of puppies. The canine mother was not happy with her 6-day-old puppies being so popular so we just observed them. They will be ready for handling in a month and will start team training in 8 months.

There was time to take photographs of the amazing mountain scenery before the helicopters arrived to take 11 of us back to the Temsco Aviation office. As we boarded the helicopters, 240 dogs joined in a barking farewell to us.

What a relief to remove all of the warm clothing in the 70-degree temperatures in Skagway!!

When I placed the lens cap on my camera lens, it was evident that there was a bit of dog saliva noted that may have an impact on my photographs.

A daily report will follow but it will merely mention this excursion. When I return to Alaska next year on the Nieuw Amsterdam, I will be repeating this escursion.

Edited by Crew News

Feel free to ask any question. Because I am on the first Noordam cruise to Alaska, my goal is to answer questions for those who will follow as well as collect all of the menus to help others plan their Noordam dining experience.

Really enjoying this thread - many thx for sharing so much great info! We are on Noordam in August so all of this is wonderful to hear about.

Pls do post menus when you can. And if you can share 1 or 2 daily programs that too will be of great interest.

Thx again!

---End quote

Looking forward to menus etc

Happy travels

As you requested, this report is about my very favorite scenic excursion in my Alaska cruise history.

My helicopter had five passengers. With the 70-degree temps here in Skagway, wearing warm clothing and the donning our orange safety vest, made a steamy start for our excursion. The overshoes made walking an adventure throughout the excursion. No bags, tablets, walking sticks, etc., were allowed on the helicopter.

The flight to the dog camp was a tour of the mountain passes and glaciers before landing in the dog camp snow. With the arrival of the helicopters, 240 dogs began barking in hopes of being selected to lead a sled.

After a safety briefing on how to lean if the sled begins to tip over, an explanation of how to set the brakes, and deciding who would mush the small sled towed behind, we were introduced to the dogs. Each name and personality was explained as we performed a lot of head and back scratching of the dogs. I was surprised how small the dogs actually were.

Our musher, Riley, controlled the front sled and one of our group of three mushed the towed sled (just to stomp on the break to keep the front sled from crashing into the lead sled). Three adults and one 6-month old baby were in my group. The baby had to ride in the backseat to protect it from the flying snow, which left me to ride in the front seat.

With our brakes on both sleds pressed into the snow, the dogs were attached to their harnesses. When Riley took his place on the runners of my sled and in a soft voice said, "Go," my head snapped backwards as the 10 dogs took off as fast as they could. Ice crystals hit my face as 80 paws dug into the snow as we raced along the snow trail. I felt every bump through the wooden seat and dreamed of a nice stadium cushion. Every 15 minutes, the musher stopped to let the dogs cool by rolling in the snow. The dogs were used to working in below-zero temperatures and not the 40=degree temperatures on the mountain.

Taking photographs with extremely darkened eyeglass lenses in a bouncing sled was not easy. I will be working on the photos for a few weeks to convert them to jpg files.

After at least one hour of actual riding, we returned to the dog camp, scratched 10 furry heads, and then met the latest litter of puppies. The canine mother was not happy with her 6-day-old puppies being so popular so we just observed them. They will be ready for handling in a month and will start team training in 8 months.

There was time to take photographs of the amazing mountain scenery before the helicopters arrived to take 11 of us back to the Temsco Aviation office. As we boarded the helicopters, 240 dogs joined in a barking farewell to us.

What a relief to remove all of the warm clothing in the 70-degree temperatures in Skagway!!

When I placed the lens cap on my camera lens, it was evident that there was a bit of dog saliva noted that may have an impact on my photographs.

A daily report will follow but it will merely mention this excursion. When I return to Alaska next year on the Nieuw Amsterdam, I will be repeating this escursion.

The one time we signed up for this excursion -- a few years back -- it was cancelled because of bad weather.

It really sounds wonderful.

Exciting dog sledding experience! Thanks for sharing! And how's the trip at glacier bay?

I am curious which route the Noordam takes from glacier bay to Ketchikan?

Through the Chatham strait in the east? Or take the westward rout around Sitka island?

If it takes the sails west from glacier bay, can you see the glacier at Taylor's Bay on your way out?

Have a wonderful day at Ketchikan!

The day in Skagway aboard the Noordam began in a sunny day with a slight chill in the air. We were the first of to ships in port. Room service breakfast was delivered via a short elevator trip up from the kitchen and so our food was still hot. This is another benefit of an aft cabin. It was a new experience eating cereal from a nearly flat soup bowl.

Preparing for a day in the mountain snow, I dressed in lightweight thermal garments and layered rugby shirt. I packed my camera bag with an extra lens, water bottle, extra batteries, snack bar, and two addiitional memory cards. Remembering my last helicopter flight, I unpacked my camera bag which I would not be able to carry during the flight. Extra batteries and memory cards had a place in my jacket pocket and the rest of my camera items were left in my stateroom.

The walk to the end of the pier was short and the Temsco Aviation representative was spotted holding her Dog Sledding sign over her head. Wearing our orange safety vests and provided overshoes, we entered our awaiting helicopters (six in one and five in mine) for a flight tour of the glaciers near Skagway. Read more about my dogsedding adventure in my previous post.

Arriving back in Skagway, I felt the 73-degree temperature as it played a cruel game with my thermal layers. The rest of my day was spent in a Barbados polo shirt on my verandah as I gathered some Alaskan sunshine.

Joanie, aboard her scooter, covered most of Skagway, especially the Alaska Fudge Company. The last portion of her return to the Noordam was with the Captain of the Celebrity Solstice, docked in front of us.

Both swimming pools were filled with swimmers and surrounded by occupied loungers for the rest of the day.

Early dining was surprisingly nearly full. Diners were allowed entrance as late as 6:45 PM when I finished eating.

As the sun disappeared behind the mountain tops, the Noordam departed Skagway with her newly sunburned passengers and a perfect day on vacation filled the memories of all.

The Day in Glacier Bay aboard the Noordam began in bright sunshine and warmed to polo shirt weather as we stopped at three glaciers. We heard the cracking sounds and then some great calving at Marjorie Glacier. The pea soup on the Aft Lido was hot and hit the spot just before the temperatures soared, As we exited Glacier Bay, a thick fog enveloped the ship and temperatures dropped quickly.

The highlight of the day was Le Cirque for six CC members who enjoyed the chocolate bomb dessert made famous on the Nieuw Amsterdam last December. The PG Head Chef delivered our special dessert after a delicious meal. The six-inch diameter chocolate ball was placed before each CC member and then warm caramel was poured over the top to start the melting process. The large dark chocolate ball opened as a blooming flower with each petal parted by a small stream of warm caramel to reveal a treasure of ice cream, berries, and toffee.

IMG_1604.jpg?i=1678409848

IMG_1607.jpg?i=524003787

IMG_1608.jpg?i=453418699

A nearby table of diners, just beginning to look at their menus and noting our gasps as the river of caramel melted our chocolate bombs, asked us where our dessert was on the Le Cirque menu. We explained that it was a special dessert with weeks in the planning.

On a side note, the Alaskan king crab legs were not on the PG menu.

The evening ended with a sated sleep.

Edited by Crew News

I do have to add to hubby's posting of the Photos of the Melting Chocolate Ball/Bomb!!!

The photos do not do justice to the HUGE size of the Ball/Bomb!!!

If you compare the photo POA1 posted from his Master Chef dinner in Dec 2015 on Nieuw Amsterdam and ours last night....Ours were about 3 times larger!!!!

The Bowls they were each served in are the Large PG Soup Bowls, our Balls/Bombs filled the bowls:eek::D

Gotta say that Chef Ganeesh deserves a medal for the Balls/Bombs!! And for the choice of either Warm Caramel or Warm Chocolate sauce for them.

We did come up with another name for these treats from Chef Ganeesh, but think it might not be advisable for me to post it so will just say "Chef Ganeesh's Giant Bombs":D

I jokingly told the Chef when he came out to present them to us, that we might just have to invite the COM to join us next week and present him one:D

Joanie

I'm really enjoying the review as we will be on the Noordam later in the season. The chocolate bombs look wonderful!

I had one question about the power strip. Is it common to have these taken away when leaving from Vancouver? Is it okay if it's surge protected power strip or are all power strips commonly taken?

Thanks so much! I look forward to the rest of the review.

I'm really enjoying the review as we will be on the Noordam later in the season. The chocolate bombs look wonderful!

I had one question about the power strip. Is it common to have these taken away when leaving from Vancouver? Is it okay if it's surge protected power strip or are all power strips commonly taken?

Thanks so much! I look forward to the rest of the review.

In San Diego, the power strips detected in our checked luggage were not confiscated. They were only noted on a disembarkation tag before loading onto the ship. We were not asked to open our bags. Our bag was retrieved by our Room Steward. Perhaps, the power strip notification was just a San Diego thing.

We know that power strips with surge proctectors are not permitted and take care to bring only strips with just electrical outlets.

We have had power strips in our checked luggage on all of our previous cruises out of Vancouver without an issue.

Edited by Crew News

The day in Skagway aboard the Noordam began in a sunny day with a slight chill in the air. We were the first of to ships in port. Room service breakfast was delivered via a short elevator trip up from the kitchen and so our food was still hot. This is another benefit of an aft cabin. It was a new experience eating cereal from a nearly flat soup bowl.

Preparing for a day in the mountain snow, I dressed in lightweight thermal garments and layered rugby shirt. I packed my camera bag with an extra lens, water bottle, extra batteries, snack bar, and two addiitional memory cards. Remembering my last helicopter flight, I unpacked my camera bag which I would not be able to carry during the flight. Extra batteries and memory cards had a place in my jacket pocket and the rest of my camera items were left in my stateroom.

The walk to the end of the pier was short and the Temsco Aviation representative was spotted holding her Dog Sledding sign over her head. Wearing our orange safety vests and provided overshoes, we entered our awaiting helicopters (six in one and five in mine) for a flight tour of the glaciers near Skagway. Read more about my dogsedding adventure in my previous post.

Arriving back in Skagway, I felt the 73-degree temperature as it played a cruel game with my thermal layers. The rest of my day was spent in a Barbados polo shirt on my verandah as I gathered some Alaskan sunshine.

Joanie, aboard her scooter, covered most of Skagway, especially the Alaska Fudge Company. The last portion of her return to the Noordam was with the Captain of the Celebrity Solstice, docked in front of us.

Both swimming pools were filled with swimmers and surrounded by occupied loungers for the rest of the day.

Early dining was surprisingly nearly full. Diners were allowed entrance as late as 6:45 PM when I finished eating.

As the sun disappeared behind the mountain tops, the Noordam departed Skagway with her newly sunburned passengers and a perfect day on vacation filled the memories of all.

We love Skagway. The first time we were there was in the 80's with the old wooden, rotted boardwalks. There weren't any jewelry shops -- totally a quaint town.

The Day in Glacier Bay aboard the Noordam began in bright sunshine and warmed to polo shirt weather as we stopped at three glaciers. We heard the cracking sounds and then some great calving at Marjorie Glacier. The pea soup on the Aft Lido was hot and hit the spot just before the temperatures soared, As we exited Glacier Bay, a thick fog enveloped the ship and temperatures dropped quickly.

The highlight of the day was Le Cirque for six CC members who enjoyed the chocolate bomb dessert made famous on the Nieuw Amsterdam last December. The PG Head Chef delivered our special dessert after a delicious meal. The six-inch diameter chocolate ball was placed before each CC member and then warm caramel was poured over the top to start the melting process. The large dark chocolate ball opened as a blooming flower with each petal parted by a small stream of warm caramel to reveal a treasure of ice cream, berries, and toffee.

IMG_1604.jpg?i=1678409848

IMG_1607.jpg?i=524003787

IMG_1608.jpg?i=453418699

A nearby table of diners, just beginning to look at their menus and noting our gasps as the river of caramel melted our chocolate bombs, asked us where our dessert was on the Le Cirque menu. We explained that it was a special dessert with weeks in the planning.

On a side note, the Alaskan king crab legs were not on the PG menu.

The evening ended with a sated sleep.

Looks delicious!!

I had very large King Crab Legs on the Noordam November 2014. But when we got on the Zuiderdam in February, I ordered them and the chef would not serve them to me as they were very tiny ones. At least he was honest.

I do have to add to hubby's posting of the Photos of the Melting Chocolate Ball/Bomb!!!

The photos do not do justice to the HUGE size of the Ball/Bomb!!!

If you compare the photo POA1 posted from his Master Chef dinner in Dec 2015 on Nieuw Amsterdam and ours last night....Ours were about 3 times larger!!!!

The Bowls they were each served in are the Large PG Soup Bowls, our Balls/Bombs filled the bowls:eek::D

Gotta say that Chef Ganeesh deserves a medal for the Balls/Bombs!! And for the choice of either Warm Caramel or Warm Chocolate sauce for them.

We did come up with another name for these treats from Chef Ganeesh, but think it might not be advisable for me to post it so will just say "Chef Ganeesh's Giant Bombs":D

I jokingly told the Chef when he came out to present them to us, that we might just have to invite the COM to join us next week and present him one:D

Joanie

I sure wish we would have them on one of our cruises.

I would definitely order a dark chocolate sauce. I am not a fan of caramel.

---End quote

Looking forward to menus etc

Happy travels

Interested in knowing how the men are dressing for formal night? What kind of men's attire is being allowed? (I ask because ties make DH claustrophobic).

Another day on the Noordam began with a chill and a bright sun. Room Service breakfast arrived at the stroke of 8:00 AM. Over the previous days, we could count on our door bell ringing within one minute of our request time.

With cell phone access in Ketchikan, I had a chance to process email and post on CC. As mya float plane excursion to a crab feast neared, the temperature pushed well into the 60-degree range The angle of the gangway was quite steep even though we disembarked from the Atrium.

Our sixty-passenger bus picked up 12 of us for the Crab Feast and the Klingit driver tried to teach us some basic Klingit phrases. I missed all of the potholes on the way to George's Inlet as the road is now paved. The included smoked salmon appetizer were a nice start to ur meal. All manner of eating dungeness crab was on display, from aggressively smashing the legs to using a fork to patiently remove the crab meat.

With crab residue plates overflowing, we were brought a large slice of cheesecake with blueberry topping. Most managed only a few bites after a solid hour of gluttony.

Two float planes arrived to drop off some incoming diners and to pick us up for the flight-seeing trip back to Ketchikan. The cloudless skies allowed an amazing view of the mountain tops and enabled the lucky lady in the copilots seat to make some great videos.

The evening was Formal Night and my appetite was not into eating a single bite of food but one should never turn down lobster. My waiter encouraged me to have at least two lobster tails but I could only tolerate a small salad and one lobster tail. No soup, no bread, and no dessert for me. My waiter chuckled as I touched the playback button on my camera to show him a foot-tall pile of crab residue. I promised to have at least two lobster tails next week.

With the clocks jumping ahead the next day and with internet access, the incredible HAL bed found me sleeping soundly before 10:30 PM.

Interested in knowing how the men are dressing for formal night? What kind of men's attire is being allowed? (I ask because ties make DH claustrophobic).

Very few tuxedos with most wearing a jacket and tie. Some managed to sneak past the MDR screeners. With a large Asian tour group aboard, there were a few males in long silk shirts with neither jacket or tie.

A clip-on tie might work for him.