News from Noordam in Alaska Inside Passage

Crew News

Crew News, may I ask which whale watching excursion you went on? We will be making our first trip to Alaska in 2016 and really looking forward to it!

I used the Discovery Whale Watching which does some scientific experiments while aboard.

It must be noted that when a whale is spotted ALL of the different excursion boats speed to the area. So the only difference is the size of the boat and how many folks are competing for space at the railing to shoot pics.

For a first time excursion, I would recommend one that also includes Mendenhall Glacier.

When I opened the verandah curtains at 6:00 AM, the ship was already docked in Skagway. Yet another day in Alaska aboard the Noordam beginning with sunshine and blue skies.

My early White Pass & Yukon Railroad excursion departed at 8:30 AM aboard an Alaskan Gray Lines coach. The nearly three-hour drive to Caribou Crossing for lunch made two photo-op stops on the way. I was surprised to see passengers seated several rows behind me push to be one of the first off the bus on our first stop. Strangely, the same folks were always the last to board the bus when it was time to leave.

With nearly cloudless skies, all on our excursions got some great pictures before we arrived for our lunch stop. The lunch menu as a bake potato half, barbequed chicken, coles slaw, biscuit and homemade donuts. There was plenty of time to play with the sled dogs and goats, take a 15-minute sled dog ride for $35, visit the taxidermy museum, and buy an ice cream cone. The bus was ready to depart on time but those who pushed to be the first off the bus caused our bus departure to be delayed for an additional 10 minutes.

The late departure from lunch cut our stop in Cairncross to only 15 minutes. Same folks held the bus an extra five minutes. As we proceeded to Fraser to catch the train, our coach driver noted a car ahead stopped at the side of the road and then he applied the brakes to stop the coach quickly to see the large black bear on the other side of the road. A silver SUV, following a few seconds behind our bus, swerved sharply to cross the road and stop less than ten feet from the bear to get their pictures. To the car occupant's good fortune, the bear did not even acknowledge their presence. Sadly, all of our pictures include that SUV.

The train ride back to Skagway provided lots of photographic opportunities as we descended from the mountains into the heat of Skagway.

The MDR around 6:00 PM only had a few people seated while I ate dinner. The few restaurants in Skagway must have had a good sales evening.

The Noordam departed at 9:00 PM under clear skies and warm temps as I am writing this report.

Tomorrow is Glacier Bay and our fingers are crossed that our wonderful weather continues.

Another bright sunny day as we entered Glacier Bay aboard the Noordam. The temperature was so nice that Room Service Breakfast was on our verandah. Not even a jacket was needed while eating my granola, mixed fruit, and yogurt start to my day.

As we sailed farther into Glacier Bay, there was a noticeable difference in the amount of glacier ice since our first week. It was obvious that one of the glaciers had experienced some serious calving and had spread both large and small chunks of ice spread as if a carpet across all of the water of Glacier Bay. The Noordam bypassed the first two glaciers that we visited last week and sailed directly to Marjorie Glacier. Sailing past the first two glaciers, the Noordam no longer found glacier ice in the water. I am not certain which of the bypassed glaciers had a huge calving but it was obvious that Marjorie Glacier had made no contribution to the ice carpet.

Our side of the ship remained facing Marjorie Glacier for 2/3 of the time there. With the turning of ship and the glacier disappearing from my view, I took the time for another salad and chicken wings lunch on our verandah.

Shirt-sleeve weather in Glacier Bay was very strange for two consecutive weeks. One of the Assistant Dining Room Managers doling out the cups of hot pea soup commented on the Caribbean weather now in Alaska.

We were joined at Le Cirque in the Pinnacle Grill by two other CC members, Ron and Melodie, and the Culinary Operations Manager (COM), Santosh, who wanted to experience chocolate bombs for themselves. Ron and Melodie enjoyed chocolate purses while Santosh, Joanie, and I experienced the incredible chocolate bombs. With such a senior officer in attendance, the PG staff continued to prove their quality service. Santosh agreed that the chocolate bomb should be added to the PG menu and he would present his suggestion to HAL Corporate. We shall see.

The day ended with increased winds as we headed out into the Pacific Ocean. Tomorrow is Ketchikan, our last port.

More tomorrow.

Menus for the 7-day Alaska cruises are now available on my website:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-alaska-inside-passage-noordam-7-day/

On Locations for Noordam are now available as well:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/alaska-2015-noordam-on-location-daily-activities/

The day nearing Ketchikan aboard the Noordam began with heavy overcast skies and a threat of rain. Room Service breakfast was consumed inside the stateroom as the weather was to chilly to use the verandah. Shortly after breakfast, I checked the mailbox and discovered the dreaded Disembarkation Packet with a Canadian Customs form and five luggage tags. After so many days on board, it would soon be time to leave this great ship.

As the first lines were secured at Dock 3 near the Tongass Trading Company at 10:00 AM, the overcast lifted and bright sunshine covered the city. A quick trip to the Trading Company fulfilled my souvenir promises.

Our lunch on the verandah was a combination of Dive In, Lido salad bar, Lido Bistro, and my minibar chicken wing stash.

My afternoon was filled with posting all of the Noordam daily menus and On Locations to my website followed with posting the links to CC. Next week will be adding the kid's activities and all of the Specialty Menu changes to my website. In the weeks to come, dog sledding in the snow videos will be added as well as lots of excursion photographs.

Formal Night was sparsely attended from my prospective and the rack of jackets near the MDR door was quickly depleted.

The last bag of laundry has been submitted and packing started. This long vacation will soon be over. Tomorrow, we continue on to an early Saturday docking in Vancouver with beautiful weather forecasted.

Six ports and two Glacier Bay visits with sun and warm temperatures in each made this time in Alaska memorable.

More tomorrow.

You've had another wonderful trip and shared it with all of us-thank you! I've always disliked the dreaded packing at the end of a cruise.

Glad your chocolate bombs were a hit-if they do get put on the PG menu I'll make sure to try one. Sorry we missed them but at least we got to try the chocolate purse!

Enjoy your last full day aboard the beautiful Noordam.

Roger, I took pics of the retreat area but forgot to inquire about pricing. Can you find out? Thanks!

Retreat Port Day: $45

Retreat Sea Day: $75

Retreat 7-Day: $299

Family Cabana Port Day: $65

Family Cabana Sea Day: $115

Family Cabana 7-Day: $449

The day sailing to Vancouver aboard the Noordam began with heay overcast skies and a light drizzle. Tith the Mariner's Luncheon at 11:00 AM, there was no Room Service breakfast for us.

The Mariner's Reception started for Medallion holders at 10:45 with seating in a special area of of the Deck 2 Dining Room. At 11:04 AM, with the room quickly filling with every Mariner, the Captain presented two bronze medallions despite very few diners even listening. The Captain repeated his threat to impose a sunshine surcharge to those gathered. All laughed.

Checking my hotel bill in the Neptune Lounge, I discovered the need to spend $150 of my OBC or lose it. Thanks to the Shops, I now have several boxes of smoked salmon for gifts.

The afternoon was spent packing and preparing for three additional days in Seattle before flying home to Albuquerque on Tuesday. Mid-afternoon, the clouds lifted and warm sunshine again bathed the Noordam.

Dinner in the MDR was well-attended. My rainbow trout was large and very flavorful. I had the chance to discuss pending changes to HAL culinary offerings. If all works well, I should be receiving the new Room Service and Room Service Breakfast menus as soon as they are released.

Some pending culinary changes may be a simplification of the Room Service Breakfast card which will feature an "American Breakfast" with scrambled eggs. This means the elimination of eggs-to-order and omelets. These will be moved to the Room Service menu. As previously reported, the Room Service menu will also include the option of ordering from the PG, Caneletto, and Tamarind with a charge. The big issue is how to keep the Specialty Restaurant food warm during transportation to the passengers' stateroom. The PG and Tamarind plates are not compatible with the current domes used to keep food warm. We shall see what actually comes to pass.

Tomorrow is a rental car drive to Seattle, check-in at the Holiday Inn SEATAC, and dinner with our HAL PCC. I'll try to learn any news being discussed by HAL Corporate.

As I complete this report, the sky is filled with flaming clouds and we are proceeding to Vancouver over smooth seas.

More tomorrow.

Disembarkation day and hope it goes smoothly with good weather for your drive to Seattle. Thanks for trying to learn any news, (e.g. future sales for Alaska 2016 itineraries) from your PCC at dinner.:D

Menus for the 7-day Alaska cruises are now available on my website:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-alaska-inside-passage-noordam-7-day/

On Locations for Noordam are now available as well:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/alaska-2015-noordam-on-location-daily-activities/

Many thanks for posting all of this! It is so much fun to be able to think about our time on this cruise in August by seeing what you enjoyed. If the menus do change and you have a chance to post them that would be terrific!

Hope your trip home goes well. Your record of your time on the Noordam has been a real treat to read!

When I opened my stateroom curtains at 7:00 AM, the Noordam was docked under heavy, overcast, skies in Vancouver.

Room Service called at 7:50 AM to let us know that breakfast would not arrive until 8:10 AM (40 minutes past the earliest arrival time on the breakfast card). After 18 days of timely arrival, late breakfast on disembarkation day was not unreasonable. The temperature was warm enough for breakfast to be consumed on the verandah.

We proceeded to the Pinnacle Bar where Joanie's scooter was to be exchanged for a wheelchair ride off of the ship. Although we arrived promptly at 9:30 AM, the lack of pushers made us the LAST passenger to disembark a a little after 10:00 AM. Leaving so late meant no porters were available in the HAL disembarkation area. Fortunately, two port employees found two luggage carts and helped push our luggage all the way out to the taxi area. The Noordam "pusher" helped us all the way to the taxi line.

Our taxi driver dropped us about 20 feet from our airport Hertz rental car for $35.60 CDN plus tip. With luggage filling the car, I discovered that there was no key or slot to insert a key to start the car. After some searching in the subdued light of the Hertz parking area, I found a "start" button and was able to drive out of the terminal area.

The wait in the border holding area was 10 minutes followed by no more than 30 seconds talking to the Border Patrol Agent. As we proceeded through the border area, we noticed cars backed up for a long distance waiting to enter Canada for the Memorial Day weekend. Turned on both cell phones and received full 4G bars. It was good to be back in the USA.

The drive to Seattle was under the continuing overcast skies and a few sprinkles of rain.

I removed four bottles of wine (thanks to free Navigator package), 12 collected sodas from the previous weeks Explore4, two pounds of smoked salmon, and four pounds of Alaska Fudge Company's best from our collapsible suitcase. A quick stop at a Safeway grocery ensured that I am completely prepared to watch the Indy 500 and many racing community friends tomorrow on ABC Sports.

Dinner with our HAL PCC was postponed until Monday and we will fly home on Tuesday AM (avoids all of those returning cruisers in Seattle). I should have remaining menus and kids activities posted before the next weekend. A photographic tour of the Noordam should be posted on my website by the following week.

Thank you for all the updates and reports on your cruise, I am as sorry as you are that it is over,looking forward to your photos when you have them organised,

We have a few more weeks before we have our very first cruise ever and doing the inside passage and are now Sooooo excited

Thanks again

So the cabanas are open in alaska?

Yes they are open for Alaska also. I think those who had them were possibly the smart ones these last 2 weeks. It was hotter in all Ports except Vancouver, than our own Home City!! I have sun burn upon sun burn:D

Joanie

Yes they are open for Alaska also. I think those who had them were possibly the smart ones these last 2 weeks. It was hotter in all Ports except Vancouver, than our own Home City!! I have sun burn upon sun burn:D

Joanie

Thank you for taking time to answer. I think alaska must be getting all the heat. It was like winter on my Canada New England cruise except winter would likely be warmer.

Thank you for taking time to answer. I think alaska must be getting all the heat. It was like winter on my Canada New England cruise except winter would likely be warmer.

I love Alaska in May best of all:) We've gone in Early and Mid May, July and the last 2 cruises in September and it is May that calls my name every time!! This was, I believe, the 4th time that we have had warmth as intense as it was. We averaged 74-76 degree temps daily, except for Sea Days and Vancouver.

OK time to get off here and watch the NASCAR race.

Joanie