foldable mobility scooters

jimjack14

HI All

We will soon be cruising on P&O Azura with my Dad who is registered disabled and uses a mobility scooter when he's out. he won't need to use it on the ship as he'll manage stopping and starting as he'll be able to sit and rest frequently.

We were unable to book a disabled cabin as these need to be booked a year or so in advance and to be honest it would be completely unfair of him to do so as he does not require special assistance in the cabin that goes with a disabled cabin where some other person may require it. So the big question here is.... i know we are not allowed to bring a scooter at all, just a collapsible wheel chair but i am wondering there are some magnificent foldable scooter which fit into a suitcase, has ANYBODY ever just turned up at check in and been refused?

I know it might be cheeky but just looking out for Dad!

HI All

We will soon be cruising on P&O Azura with my Dad who is registered disabled and uses a mobility scooter when he's out. he won't need to use it on the ship as he'll manage stopping and starting as he'll be able to sit and rest frequently.

We were unable to book a disabled cabin as these need to be booked a year or so in advance and to be honest it would be completely unfair of him to do so as he does not require special assistance in the cabin that goes with a disabled cabin where some other person may require it. So the big question here is.... i know we are not allowed to bring a scooter at all, just a collapsible wheel chair but i am wondering there are some magnificent foldable scooter which fit into a suitcase, has ANYBODY ever just turned up at check in and been refused?

I am a mobility scooter user and as you go into the terminal someone will stop you and ask which cabin you are in if it is not one of the cabins on the list, ie adapted or a suite they will not let you on. Your scooter is also tagged and you are asked not to remove the tag. So if you have it around the ship tag less you may be stopped. I do be leave the stewards have to report this as well.

It is a ********* pain as there are many cabins where even scooters the size of mine would easily fit it and cause no hazard. The only way round it for us is to go in a suite. I know we are in a very fortunate position and I find the whole thing very unfair.

HI All

Think the best and only way you will find out is if you ring P&O and ask them seems unfair if it folds and is easily stored inside your cabin to not allow it. I know before they changed the rules P&O had a problem at night where people not in disabled cabins used to park them in the corridor overnight and can understand P&Os reasoning because it is a health and safety issue because all corridors are means of escape.

Edited by majortom10

I have asked P&O this question every time I go on a cruise, whether I had to book an adapted cabin even if I bought a luggie or fold up scooter on board and they said yes,. I even said that it folds down like a fold away wheelchair, but they still say no, you can't book a standard cabin, must book an adapted one. I have emailed several other companies to find out their policies on this, and have had different answers back. Like Dai said, the scooters are checked and tagged before check in.

Carol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

I also use a small mobility scooter, after we enjoyed two cruises with P and O, they brought in the new rules, I too will not book a disabled room as there are other people who can not cruise without those cabins and also I can't book early enough to secure one. I notice on looking at availability of mini suits, they sell out very quickly. (a good way of p & O selling their mini suites) I refuse to pay all that extra money so since then they have lost my custom. I have done the Baltic cruise on Celebrity Eclipse (my favorite ship so far) and last year we went with Royal Caribbean Independence of the seas. Again this was a great ship (the ships engineers even fixed my scooter when I had a problem) I have another cruise booked with RCCL this summer.

That would be a great idea Glenndale, if people didn't have to use them to get to and fro to the cabins like I do. I have booked with a different company for next year, as they have said that I didn't have to book and adapted cabin. I also made sure they emailed me with info, in case I am ever stopped and questioned, using a scooter without an adapted cabin. Scooter girl, do RCCL relax their policy on scooters in cabins?

Carol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

I also use a small mobility scooter, after we enjoyed two cruises with P and O, they brought in the new rules, I too will not book a disabled room as there are other people who can not cruise without those cabins and also I can't book early enough to secure one. I notice on looking at availability of mini suits, they sell out very quickly. (a good way of p & O selling their mini suites) I refuse to pay all that extra money so since then they have lost my custom. I have done the Baltic cruise on Celebrity Eclipse (my favorite ship so far) and last year we went with Royal Caribbean Independence of the seas. Again this was a great ship (the ships engineers even fixed my scooter when I had a problem) I have another cruise booked with RCCL this summer.

Sorry but suites and mini suites sell very well, it is not scooter users who use them.

Hi Carol,

On RCCL and Celebrity you just have to tell them when you book that you will be bring a mobility scooter, they then send you a form to fill in about size weight etc. We have a superior balcony cabin as they are a bit larger and move the coffee onto the balcony table and there is loads of room for the scooter with our it getting in the way.

Hi Carol,

On RCCL and Celebrity you just have to tell them when you book that you will be bring a mobility scooter, they then send you a form to fill in about size weight etc. We have a superior balcony cabin as they are a bit larger and move the coffee onto the balcony table and there is loads of room for the scooter with our it getting in the way.

Superior balcony cabins on the US lines we've been on are the same as mini-suites on P&O, just a different name for the same category.

Superior balcony cabins on RCCL are NOT mini suites, they are very slightly larger than the deluxe balcony cabins which are the standard balcony cabins, the price of both are almost identical as the superior tend to be either forward or aft. They are almost half the price of a mini suite on either P and O and RCCL.

Superior balcony cabins on the US lines we've been on are the same as mini-suites on P&O, just a different name for the same category.

Tartanexile81, it's the other way round and I think only when comparing Princess ships with the same type of ship on P&O. The 'Grand' class have mini suites but Azura/Ventura only have superior balcony cabins. They are exactly the same. P&O do not call them mini suites as there are too many of them, all of D Deck on Azura, they would not be able to give all the little extras they give in a mini suite.

I recently booked my first time cruise with P and O. I have a Pride Go Go Traveller scooter which would fit in a wardrobe. I asked if I could take the scooter, even if it was just for shore use and they told me no. I am now taking a manual wheelchair instead. I do feel that this is either a money spinner rule or discriminatory against disabled passengers.

It seems to me that it would be a great sideline if P&O kept a small fleet of mobility scooters that could be hired on a daily basis.

Pick up and drop off at gangway.:)

An alternative not necessarily a replacement for the idea would be to have scooters deposited by passengers on a "not for on board" basis and then have them stored on deck 4 with someone in charge of keeping them stowed in the hold whereas when a port day comes you could notify the scooter custodian that you require it for that port day.

Strangely I have heard of similar schemes with other lines but they are using this type of system for bicycles/cyclists. Note; you do not have problems with cyclists cycling on board as they are kept exclusively for on shore use! It could work for both with a reasonable cover charge. May even free up some of the valuable adapted cabins which might otherwise be booked by people who simply need to use their scooters ashore.

Regards John.

Edited by john watson

Hi London Towner,

I totally agree with you. My scooter is the same as yours. I did two cruises with P and O before they changed the rules. I never left my scooter in the corridors so it was never in anyones way. That is why P and O lost my custom, I will not be bribed into having to pay for a mini suite and do not want to use a wheel chair as my independence is vital to me. Some of the ideas on having scooters for people to just use ashore are excellent and would be great for some people, but unfortunately I now need to use mine on the ship as my condition worsens, but I love my cruises and will continue to do so as long as I can

I recently booked my first time cruise with P and O. I have a Pride Go Go Traveller scooter which would fit in a wardrobe. I asked if I could take the scooter, even if it was just for shore use and they told me no. I am now taking a manual wheelchair instead. I do feel that this is either a money spinner rule or discriminatory against disabled passengers.

Sorry I have to disagree London Towner but this policy is neither discriminatory or a money maker for cruise lines in fact it probably costs them revenue. Disabled access and even more importantly evacuation is a very complex subject which until relatively recently the companies tended to overlook or even ignore to some extent. The rise in the use of mobility scooters has not only affected cruise ships but also airlines, hotels, public buildings, care premises and even hospitals. It's not a simple matter to address.

I believe that as a result of a multitude of varied incidents not just major incidents like the Costa Concordia the cruise companies have been under increasing pressure from the numerous bodies responsible for safety to actually do something to improve an imperfect situation and face up to the fact that it is only actually possible to carry a certain number of passengers with severe mobility issues without resorting to drastic measures that will involve considerable cost and inconvenience.

It's not that I am unsympathetic as I have been involved with disability access in a professional capacity and now have some mobility issues myself, but I do see how some sort of limitations must be applied and personally think P&O have tackled the matter as best they can in the circumstances.

Edited by AchileLauro

Sorry I have to disagree London Towner but this policy is neither discriminatory or a money maker for cruise lines in fact it probably costs them revenue. Disabled access and even more importantly evacuation is a very complex subject which until relatively recently the companies tended to overlook or even ignore to some extent. The rise in the use of mobility scooters has not only affected cruise ships but also airlines, hotels, public buildings, care premises and even hospitals. It's not a simple matter to address.

I believe that as a result of a multitude of varied incidents not just major incidents like the Costa Concordia the cruise companies have been under increasing pressure from the numerous bodies responsible for safety to actually do something to improve an imperfect situation and face up to the fact that it is only actually possible to carry a certain number of passengers with severe mobility issues without resorting to drastic measures that will involve considerable cost and inconvenience.

It's not that I am unsympathetic as I have been involved with disability access in a professional capacity and now have some mobility issues myself, but I do see how some sort of limitations must be applied and personally think P&O have tackled the matter as best they can in the circumstances.

Running a library system of scooters for hire and keeping passengers own scooters for use ashore only where these are restricted to shore use only has nothing to do with evacuation. The people who require scooters only for the long walks ashore will be ambulating about the ship albeit at possibly reduced rates and lengths to the average cruiser but they will be able to generally disembark unassisted.

I see your point regarding the practically of emergency evacuation of large numbers of passengers who might need carrying off the ship but this is not the case for the majority of disabled people do not this level of help.

Regards John

Running a library system of scooters for hire and keeping passengers own scooters for use ashore only where these are restricted to shore use only has nothing to do with evacuation. The people who require scooters only for the long walks ashore will be ambulating about the ship albeit at possibly reduced rates and lengths to the average cruiser but they will be able to generally disembark unassisted.

I see your point regarding the practically of emergency evacuation of large numbers of passengers who might need carrying off the ship but this is not the case for the majority of disabled people do not this level of help.

Regards John

This is a very interesting discussion. I recently (march 2015) had an op involving my archilies tendon. We are now into may and still not totally mobile.

Cruising in July..I looked at this website ,for use ashore

http://www.mobilityatsea.co.uk/mobility-scooters-on-cruises

However on working out the cost OH stated I will be walking ok by then!!

I do agree though if P and O could do hire for use ashore scooters that it would be something I would consider.

On a elf and safety note I guess P and O's problem would be that if people used them ashore and had accidents there would be some sort of comeback on P and O.

This point may have more validity if it were not the fact that P&O and Cunard seem to be the only companies enforcing this ban. I read that this is not the case with RCI and Celebrity. I am not even sure if Princess have this restriction.

Regards John

There you are John you have identified a commercial opportunity for some enterprising individual to set up a dockside business at cruise ports. :)

DaiB I agree that it does seem unfair that not all cruise lines are playing by the same rules but as I said in my previous post it's a subject that has been "overlooked" by many companies for years. Just be grateful that P&O and Cunard put the safety of their passengers to the front because not all companies apply the same standards.

As an example, I cruised with another popular company some years ago. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise but I witnessed several extremely worrying breaches of what I would regard as normal safety procedures which would have put both passengers and crew at risk of severe injury or even death. I obviously took my concerns to the ship's "safety officer". I felt that my concerns were not taken seriously so I produced a report complete with evidentiary photographs (I work in the safety industry) and sent it to the shipping line concerned. Some weeks later I was contacted and informed that the matters that I had noted were indeed very serious and that they were addressing the matters. They thanked me for bringing it to their attention and we agreed that the matters should remain private but would be remedied immediately. Needless to say I would think twice before travelling with that company again, though I have to admit in some areas they actually set standards that would put P&O in the shade.

Edited by AchileLauro