Shocked at this upgrade

azdmelani

My friend and I are sailing on the Emerald Princess in September. We already had a pretty large price reduction, and had an IF guarantee. I just checked our cruise personalizer, and we now have a BF guarantee. I had to read that about 3 times before I believed it was true. I will gladly take a balcony in Europe!

That's great! :D

The recent trend has been to give few complimentary upgrades & to instead have upsell offers after final payment.

Only once have I received a free upgrade from an an inside to a balcony & that was a week before sailing & our TA convinced Princess to do it for us because there were many balcony cabins available. Although that was years ago before upsells became routine which we did a week before our recent cruise going from inside to a deluxe balcony cabin for a reasonable price.

Maybe you should buy some lotto tickets to see if your lucky streak will continue? ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

That's great! :D

The recent trend has been to give few complimentary upgrades & to instead have upsell offers after final payment.

Only once have I received a free upgrade from an an inside to a balcony & that was a week before sailing & our TA convinced Princess to do it for us because there were many balcony cabins available. Although that was years ago before upsells became routine which we did a week before our recent cruise going from inside to a deluxe balcony cabin for a reasonable price.

Maybe you should buy some lotto tickets to see if your lucky streak will continue? ;)

Good idea, I will buy one on the way home :)

Very nice! We received an unexpected upgrade from an IC to a B2 on a coastal cruise earlier this year. It was totally unexpected but quite a nice surprise. Enjoy your balcony.

Very nice! We received an unexpected upgrade from an IC to a B2 on a coastal cruise earlier this year. It was totally unexpected but quite a nice surprise. Enjoy your balcony.

That was Princess' way of "setting the hook" to get you to continue to sail with them. :p

That was Princess' way of "setting the hook" to get you to continue to sail with them. :p

I believe that there might be some truth to that. We have chosen balconies as a matter of preference (Value, Price, benefits) On our Med cruise we were upgraded for a BG to a Mini suite at no extra charge. This was indeed a pleasant surprise. Loved the Mini suite with the extra space and larger bathroom.

Still though, Although a Balcony is fine for us, but I certainly take a closer look at the Mini Suite prices now and may just book one if the cruise and price are right. :cool:

They already had us from our first cruise. :) We've only cruised 5 times so far (first as Platinum will be in September) but we were hooked on the Princess product from the very first cruise to Alaska in 2011. I did not want to cruise! I absolutely knew I would hate everything about it. I only took the cruise to make my wife happy. When we disembarked back in SF I wanted nothing so much as to get right back onboard. I couldn't have been more wrong about cruising and Princess just continues to make us happy.

Don't get me wrong - I will take any upgrades they want to throw my way but I will continue to cruise with Princess even if I never seen another upgrade.

• 9 months later...

How exciting for you.

We have received 2 upgrades with Princess. (After we had become Platinum, so cruise 7 to 10)

One was on a one day cruise, from ocean view to mini suite.

The other was on a 7 day Alaska cruise. We had booked an inside guarantee, as well as our friends. Only 5 days before the cruise they got upgraded go OV and we got a balcony.

Nothing since then, now that we are Elite.