Grand Princess May 2015 Alaska

I am new to cruising and Princess Cruise Lines. I am very excited and have a few last minute questions for those of you who are on the Grand Princess this week or next week in Alaska.

1. Is it cool/cold? Jeans and long sleeves or shorts and t-shirts?

2. Did anyone dress for Formal Nights and what nights were they? (Since this is our first cruise I am a little excited about this, and am more then willing to lug my husbands suit and a cocktail dress for me.)

Thanks in advance for your information?

I wouldn't expect to wear shorts and tee shirts. Long pants are good. Dress in layers. Glacier Bay will likely be cold. After all, there are glaciers there...

Formal nights are formal. Some here will tell you "it's your cruise so dress any old way you like". However, it's called Formal Night for a reason. There are lots of places to eat other than in the main dining room for those who don't want to dress for the evening.

Edited by Thrak

And many will dress as Princess allows like a long sleeve shirt, tie and nice pants, After all Princess employees are the ones who have the final say on what is allowed. All others just do not matter. Enjoy your cruise. And enjoy your meals in the MDR every night of your cruise if you want.

Edited by Potstech

I am new to cruising and Princess Cruise Lines. I am very excited and have a few last minute questions for those of you who are on the Grand Princess this week or next week in Alaska.

1. Is it cool/cold? Jeans and long sleeves or shorts and t-shirts? It varies. It can be cool. It can be cold. It can be warm. It can be hot. It can be all of thse on the same cruise.

2. Did anyone dress for Formal Nights and what nights were they? (Since this is our first cruise I am a little excited about this, and am more then willing to lug my husbands suit and a cocktail dress for me.) This picture shows how people were dressed on a formal evening on an Alaska cruise I have been on.

980911680912WaitingtoenterProvenceDRonformalnightDSC01219_zpsa899c03a.jpg

see above in red

I am new to cruising and Princess Cruise Lines. I am very excited

Are you on the May 30 sailing of the Grand? If so, come sign in on our roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2016267

We'd love to get to know you online and at our Meet and Greet. We're a friendly group. The more the merrier!

Pat

1. Is it cool/cold? Jeans and long sleeves or shorts and t-shirts?

2. Did anyone dress for Formal Nights and what nights were they? (Since this is our first cruise I am a little excited about this, and am more then willing to lug my husbands suit and a cocktail dress for me.)

Alaska weather can change in an instant. The key is layers layers layers. Could be warm could be snowing or anything in between. We have experienced all of them in May/June/July/August/September. Be prepared!

You will be good in the clothes you describe for formal night. Sounds like you enjoy dressing up. :)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Are you on the May 30 sailing of the Grand? If so, come sign in on our roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2016267

We'd love to get to know you online and at our Meet and Greet. We're a friendly group. The more the merrier!

Pat

I know she is on either the 23rd or the 30th roll call - can't keep the two straight at this point. But we are home - finally. Hair cuts on Thursday, as you might recall Wes could use one, and I am rather desperate.....enjoyed our lunch very much, cannot wait to see you again on board.

Ginger

I posted this a while ago on our roll call. Hopefully this will be of some help to you in preparing:

Without knowing what activities you are planning, I cannot be thorough, but I can recommend layers, layers and layers. You may have a morning start cold and wet, and the afternoon become sunny and warm enough for shorts and t shirts. That being said, I do have some basic recommendations, and we do try and wear the heaviest footwear, jeans, etc., to travel rather than weigh down the luggage. Also, we fly Southwest so we have 2 free checked bags per person.

Feet - Uggs for warmth and general stalking around, sneakers if you need them for some activities, waterproof sandals for by the pool, something for evenings; warm, moisture wicking socks - a few pair, and then trouser socks.

Hands and head - I prefer furlined leather gloves, and a scarf that I can wrap to stay warm, and ear muffs. The only time we have found these to be necessary - and then they are necessary - is when we approach the face of a glacier, or are out whale watching or out on the water for other activities. It tends to be cooler on the water.

Outer wear - wind and water proof lightweight hooded jacket and pants, such as those for sailing for golfing. They are our top layer in the event of bad weather. Also collapsible umbrella.

For warmth: ultra lightweight insulated long underwear, such as the kind you would wear for skiing or jogging in cold weather. Hot Chilis and Goretex comes to mind. They can be washed out in the evening and will be ready for use the next day if needed. Then a cozy sweater or fleece top and warm pants.

And when the weather is temperate, whatever casual clothes you prefer and work with the other layers you are packing.

Evenings - this time the tux is not going along, a suit, dress shirt and ties are going, a few pairs of dress slacks and a few nice shirts, and for the ladies, some nice (and/or) dressy slacks, with some pretty/elegant tops that pack easily.

The important stuff - binoculars, cameras, sunscreen, a useful but waterproof backpack or side pack or tote to keep stuff dry if you are caught in rain on a tour.

That is pretty much our strategy for Alaska and has worked for us on the occasions we have been fortunate to travel in that amazing place. Hope some of it might be helpful to you

I know she is on either the 23rd or the 30th roll call - can't keep the two straight at this point. But we are home - finally. Hair cuts on Thursday, as you might recall Wes could use one, and I am rather desperate.....enjoyed our lunch very much, cannot wait to see you again on board.

Ginger

Ginger...so glad to hear that you are finally home. Hope all went well with your parents, the sale of their house and the move. We loved meeting you and Wes (even with his long hair!) and can't wait to see you again on the ship!

Pat

I posted this a while ago on our roll call. Hopefully this will be of some help to you in preparing:

Without knowing what activities you are planning, I cannot be thorough, but I can recommend layers, layers and layers. You may have a morning start cold and wet, and the afternoon become sunny and warm enough for shorts and t shirts. That being said, I do have some basic recommendations, and we do try and wear the heaviest footwear, jeans, etc., to travel rather than weigh down the luggage. Also, we fly Southwest so we have 2 free checked bags per person.

Feet - Uggs for warmth and general stalking around, sneakers if you need them for some activities, waterproof sandals for by the pool, something for evenings; warm, moisture wicking socks - a few pair, and then trouser socks.

Hands and head - I prefer furlined leather gloves, and a scarf that I can wrap to stay warm, and ear muffs. The only time we have found these to be necessary - and then they are necessary - is when we approach the face of a glacier, or are out whale watching or out on the water for other activities. It tends to be cooler on the water.

Outer wear - wind and water proof lightweight hooded jacket and pants, such as those for sailing for golfing. They are our top layer in the event of bad weather. Also collapsible umbrella.

For warmth: ultra lightweight insulated long underwear, such as the kind you would wear for skiing or jogging in cold weather. Hot Chilis and Goretex comes to mind. They can be washed out in the evening and will be ready for use the next day if needed. Then a cozy sweater or fleece top and warm pants.

And when the weather is temperate, whatever casual clothes you prefer and work with the other layers you are packing.

Evenings - this time the tux is not going along, a suit, dress shirt and ties are going, a few pairs of dress slacks and a few nice shirts, and for the ladies, some nice (and/or) dressy slacks, with some pretty/elegant tops that pack easily.

The important stuff - binoculars, cameras, sunscreen, a useful but waterproof backpack or side pack or tote to keep stuff dry if you are caught in rain on a tour.

That is pretty much our strategy for Alaska and has worked for us on the occasions we have been fortunate to travel in that amazing place. Hope some of it might be helpful to you

Great stuff. :)

FYI Alaska is having warmer temps this year. Yesterday in Anchorage

one could were shorts. Suggest you use Weather Underground a couple

of days before you go and check out the weather. But the advise of others

layers is your best bet. Have a great cruise.