Which company for whale viewing in Juneau?

twentyatheart

Was going to use Harv and Marv, but read in another thread that they dont take children. We have an 11 yr old. Any other recommendations? We were trying to avoid a crowded tour through NCL.

This is from their website. At the bottom are two recommendations for tours with kids.

Harv and Marv's Minimum Age Policy

Dear Prospective Passengers:

We would like to explain and assure you we are not wanting to discriminate or

alienate anyone from our tours. To the contrary, we would love to show our

piece of Alaska with everyone, young and old alike. But from past experiences

we have been put in the awkward position of having to implement this minimum

age policy.

By design our company is one of the smallest Whale Watching Companies in

Juneau. Most of our boats carry 6 or less passengers, offering an intimate and

personal setting for our passengers. I personally have been providing these

tours for over nine years now. Over this time and on numerous occasions I

have had the unfortunate experience of children ruining the experience for

others, jeopardizing the entire tour and even shortening the length of our tour.

As you can imagine this is an uncomfortable situation for everyone involved.

In response to these unfortunate events we have implemented our minimum

age policy that restricts children under the age of 13, unless a Private Tour is

booked.

This policy has been implemented to maintain the quality of service to all of our

passengers and not to discriminate against children. Our Goal for each and

every tour is to make it the most enjoyable and positive experience for all.

We have looked into some alternatives and options but until we are able to

offer an alternative we will adhere to this policy. We truly apologize for any

inconvenience or disappointment this may cause.

If you do have children under the age of 13, here are a couple other companies

that do a great job and offer child discounts:

http://www.alaskagalore.com or http://www.akwhalewatching.com

If you have any further questions or comments on this issue, please feel free to

contact us at:

admin@harvandmarvs.com

We are booked on Rum Runner Charters in August. They take a max of 6 people. I chose them for 2 reasons:

1. They had excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. I have been very happy with their communication and help so far.

2. They sail with a dog on board. My dd LOVES animals so having a dog on board to help if she gets bored will be helpful to me!

Check them out too!

If you do a private booking with Harv and Marv's you can bring children. The prices are suprisingly reasonable. We booked a private tour with our group and it was only 10/pp more than the regular tour - the cost pp depends on the size of your group - its a flat fee for the boat and tour - with a max # of ppl.

Anyhoo - I panicked when I saw the age limit - and contacted them - and with a private tour - no problem!!! In a few weeks - I hopefully see whales!!!

Does anyone have any current info on the status of Orca Enterprises? Don't think Captain Larry is running the boat this year....

If he is, I wouldn't book with them. I was a supporter at one time but no longer would go on a boat with him.

I would be curious about people in Alaska this week.

Edited by Coral

We are booked on Rum Runner Charters in August. They take a max of 6 people. I chose them for 2 reasons:

1. They had excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. I have been very happy with their communication and help so far.

2. They sail with a dog on board. My dd LOVES animals so having a dog on board to help if she gets bored will be helpful to me!

Check them out too!

I think it is pretty difficult to find any company that does not get great reviews. All of the companies I found are highly rated on Trip Adviser.

That is surprising about the dog. Is it the pilot's personal pet?

We absolutely love Gastineau Guiding. We used them in 2010, somebody else in 2012, and went running back to them in 2014. They use boats with inflated pontoons on the outside, making them much more stable than v-hull boats like H&M or other flat-bottom boats where passengers can be at the outer railings. Their boats also have flip-in/up windows, allowing excellent viewing through fully-open windows, rather than sliding windows that only open part way, while also offering a fully-enclosed quiet cabin while in transit. I think their larger boats have a 20-passenger limit, while the smaller boats used for their "Photo Safari" trips (with 1:1 photo assistance) have a 12-pax limit.

Anybody can say their boats are "custom", but all too often that can mean a paint color, a railing, whatever. Gastineau Guiding's boats seem to be quite customized to their intended purpose, and it shows.

I think it is pretty difficult to find any company that does not get great reviews. All of the companies I found are highly rated on Trip Adviser.

That is surprising about the dog. Is it the pilot's personal pet?

I believe so.

Check them out too!

We booked with Rum Runners for the same reasons! Well we also wanted a smaller boat with just us on board. I'm hoping for smooth seas and lots of whales when we get to town!

If he is, I wouldn't book with them. I was a supporter at one time but no longer would go on a boat with him.

I would be curious about people in Alaska this week.

I have also discovered today having emailed them to reconfirm my bookings for next week that their email is suspended which is worrying as I have paid a 50% deposit.

I understand Captain Larry has lost his masters ticket from what an article I was shown said

http://juneauempire.com/local/2014-08-07/juneau-police-arrest-tour-boat-captain-dui

Edited by uktog

I have also discovered today having emailed them to reconfirm my bookings for next week that their email is suspended which is worrying as I have paid a 50% deposit.

I understand Captain Larry may have lost his masters ticket from what an article I was shown said

http://juneauempire.com/local/2014-08-07/juneau-police-arrest-tour-boat-captain-dui

I have now received a reply re my bookings via their website contact us form, though I do still wonder who is now operating the boats

Edited by uktog

I understand Captain Larry has lost his masters ticket from what an article I was shown said

I found the court records which show he was fined and sentenced (on March 20) but didn't find what the jail sentence term was.

I am guessing Carol's daughter may be doing most of the trips. I hope so.

Edited by Coral

I would also highly recommend Orca Enterprises.

I'm with BQ we used Orca as well, was great, besides having to wait like 45' for another of our boat to arrive, but beyond that good!

We are booked with Orca Enterprises for our day in Juneau this August. This will be our first time to Alaska, and so excited! I had read about the news article last year, but when I read reviews about Orca, and then had very positive, prompt replies from them over the Winter, I feel comfortable about our day with them. I think it will be great! :D

I stopped by Orca's office in Juneau last week. Most of the vendors on the dock are not booking them anymore and on the day I was there they were running only one boat with one morning and one afternoon tour. I think Larry was on board but likely as a deckhand or naturalist. I wish them the best and hope they get through this.

Just went out with Orca last week and it was great. Captain Larry was there and told us about what we were seeing. Someone else "drove" most of the time, but Larry took over when we got some seaweed in the engine. He went forward and back for about 30 seconds and took care of it. There was also a woman on board who helped out. She has a daughter who came on the boat for years so they are definitely kid friendly. We saw lots of whales including some babies and would happily go with Orca again.

We used Orca Enterprises in Juneau on May 16. It was a wonderful tour. Capt. Larry did not take the wheel, but added commentary and answered questions. Can't recall the name of the pilot, but a cheerful and enthusiastic young lady, Kelly, kept us all informed. The boat was comfortable and we had only 10 passengers total. Two thumbs up from us!

Orca Enterprises, is operating with with a new cpt, plus Pam- who has been a cpt for years. :) She ran the alternative boats previously.

Larry- who has extensive knowledge on the wildlife and the ocean areas, is now available enhancing the experience of what you are seeing.

Their boat is a gem for viewing in my opinion. Spacious back deck, full views through windows inside along with ability to slide open at stops, and the 360 upper viewing area.

Orca Enterprises, is operating with with a new cpt, plus Pam- who has been a cpt for years. :) She ran the alternative boats previously.

Larry- who has extensive knowledge on the wildlife and the ocean areas, is now available enhancing the experience of what you are seeing.

Their boat is a gem for viewing in my opinion. Spacious back deck, full views through windows inside along with ability to slide open at stops, and the 360 upper viewing area.

Thanks for finding out. Larry always had huge amount of knowledge but he was always quiet unless someone engaged him to talk.