DIAMONDS and PLATINUMS ONLY - NO GUESTS - OFFICIAL

Elaine515

I am thrilled. I just hope this is enforced.

We actually like the VIFP/Past Guest parties. We've had no problems ordering and receiving whatever drinks we wanted. We enjoyed applauding all the ships we've sailed and having the officers come on stage.

I remember back in the day when the parties were held in the lounges that are now Punchliner. The captains held Q&A's, the officers chatted with us, it was wonderful. I hope the new restrictions make the parties like they used to be.

Why in the world would they waste that much attention on someone who has shown themselves beyond loyal to Carnival?

You don't preach to the choir, but to the congregation. Keep them from slipping out and checking out the church down the street.

My DH and I attend but we don't drink the alcohol. We go for the entertainment and have a good time. I personally think it would be a good idea to have a party for the Platinum/Diamonds members one evening of the cruise and then at another time, do the Reds/Gold members. Why not give 1-3 tickets out to each member for drinks/food (that should cut back on expenses) and when those tickets are gone, some might opt to leave soon afterward. That will make room for the next group that wants to take part in the festivities. (The amount for how many tickets to give out could depend on how many points or cruises that cruiser has taken). Just a thought...

Edited by gammy3gks

I was excited about the Past Guest Party becoming a more intimate affair by inviting P & D's only, but if it's not a "plus 1" invite, then I'll probably just skip it. We travel with our son, who is an "almost" Platinum. I'm not going to leave him alone just to go to the party. If he's busy doing something else at that time, then we may go to the party.

It is designed to limit attendance.

Many people will feel attending alone.

Or they will feel that it is inappropriate to attend without their significant other.

Perhaps so few will attend that they can say that it is being poorly attended and that we would prefer a glass of water.

Perhaps so few will attend that they can say that it is being poorly attended and that we would prefer a glass of water.

Bingo

If they don't serve better drinks and some better appetizers its really not worth going to. Same thing with the Diamond perk , tea and cookies with the Capt sort of sucks. Now drinks with the Capt is the way to go. Tea and cookies we will pass on.

Keep the past guest party but get rid of the complimentary drinks. This way, even with golds and reds, I can assure you that the party will be a ghost town.

That and make the party require drink coupons. I say two coupons would be swell. Should keep the octopus armed lushes down a bit.

Its good to see Carnival set a policy, now lets see if they stick to it. The folks at the party earned it so why let others crash the party so they just take it away from them later.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

We usually don’t get drinks. I’ve seen some people who do get a couple or more and then one to carry out of the party.

If there were only 200 people who receive three drinks at $10 each. $6,000 value of drinks. That is $900 worth of tips the wait staff is not getting. Or does carnival pay them for the tips the passengers are not paying.

Well until we hear what the new party format is actually, how can anyone judge if it is better or not. If they are going to keep the party the same and just exclude the golds then this is a joke. If they are going to go the route of "trying to keep it intimate" they need to great change the format or they are going to have very little attendance even from the Ps&Ds... but that may be what they are after :-)

I have heard of gold's and higher bringing their whole group of blues and reds with them - one man bragging that his wife was gold and she brought him and all their friends with them for the free drinks. (I counted 6, but could have been more). But that was because it was never enforced - so bad on them. I always brought my invite - but was never asked to show it so it is what it is.

It only takes a couple of these people to ruin it for everyone. I certainly hope Carnival enforces their policy.

I was excited about the Past Guest Party becoming a more intimate affair by inviting P & D's only, but if it's not a "plus 1" invite, then I'll probably just skip it. We travel with our son, who is an "almost" Platinum. I'm not going to leave him alone just to go to the party. If he's busy doing something else at that time, then we may go to the party.

Its never been a plus one invite, its just people new carnival would not check the invitation, so they just brought people anyway, even though they were not invited... I am sure it will be the same at the new party, carnival never enforces their own rules.

My DH and I attend but we don't drink the alcohol. We go for the entertainment and have a good time. I personally think it would be a good idea to have a party for the Platinum/Diamonds members one evening of the cruise and then at another time, do the Reds/Gold members. Why not give 1-3 tickets out to each member for drinks/food (that should cut back on expenses) and when those tickets are gone, some might opt to leave soon afterward. That will make room for the next group that wants to take part in the festivities. (The amount for how many tickets to give out could depend on how many points or cruises that cruiser has taken). Just a thought...

They give the free drink coupons out at the end so you stay for the whole presentation. Not "I hate to eat ruin but....." Kind of tacky to only show up for the free drink coupon, but I am sure there would be plenty of people doing it. How about getting the coupon, walking out the door and reenter for another drink coupon? People would do that.:(

My husband and I were both Platinum, so we were able to attend the parties together. We usually had two drinks and we tipped for both of them as I had Dewar's and soda and he had rum and coke.

My husband passed away a few months ago, so now I either go to the party alone, or don't go. My thinking is that I probably won't go as I don't like going to parties alone and I am not a very outgoing person. I left that part up to my husband.

Not being able to bring a guest, and I do understand as many people brought more than one guest, will reduce the number of people attending and I do believe that Carnival will say soon that there was not enough interest in the party, so it is going to be discontinued.

I know on John's page someone asked about spouses and another person asked if a cabinmate could attend and both were told no by the beards. I can see where this is going and it's not where I would like it to.

If they don't serve better drinks and some better appetizers its really not worth going to. Same thing with the Diamond perk , tea and cookies with the Capt sort of sucks. Now drinks with the Capt is the way to go. Tea and cookies we will pass on.

Somehow I can't see slamming drinks on the bridge:eek:, but thats just me.

Not being able to bring a guest, and I do understand as many people brought more than one guest, will reduce the number of people attending and I do believe that Carnival will say soon that there was not enough interest in the party, so it is going to be discontinued.

I know on John's page someone asked about spouses and another person asked if a cabinmate could attend and both were told no by the beards. I can see where this is going and it's not where I would like it to.

How do you know that many will not attend and the party will be discontinued? We cruise on Princess, and the parties for platinum and elite are always packed. Long line to stand in before the door opens. Employees standing at the door collecting the invitations and they do check them.

Where would you like this to go because it can't go on any longer like it has been. I believe Carnival is doing the right thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eponym View Post

Hi -

Where is this information published?

Thank you.

This was an answer to a question on John's facebook page.

Actually, I didn't see this on John's FB page. I am a follower and it didn't appear on my timeline either. Am I missing something? There are several posts on CC that people said are on John's FB page that I don't see. Where exactly should I be looking?? Anyone know?

Quote:

Originally Posted by eponym View Post

Hi -

Where is this information published?

Thank you.

This was an answer to a question on John's facebook page.

Actually, I didn't see this on John's FB page. I am a follower and it didn't appear on my timeline either. Am I missing something? There are several posts on CC that people said are on John's FB page that I don't see. Where exactly should I be looking?? Anyone know?

I spent a few minutes looking too, and did not see. So, even if it is, is certainly is buried.

I wouldn't think so but Carnival is known to reschedule and limit things only to later blame lack of interest for reasons to get rid of something.

At the least that is a common rumor here......

Edited by jimbo5544

... If they are going to keep the party the same and just exclude the golds then this is a joke...

It may be. The reason I (think) that was given by the company was that they would/could no longer accommodate the large turnouts.

On the flip side, I think it was said that the party will have a new format, whatever that means beyond excluding Gold invites.

We should start hearing back from attendees after tomorrow.

I agree it should be a plus one. Who wants to go alone? But it doesn't sound that exciting to me just to get a drink or 2. Speaking with the Captain would be nice.

Actually Jenhem31, it is unlimited free drinks of any kind you want. Many people do not realize that. Last past guest party when a waiter came by I gave him a $5 as a tip and told him to keep the Twilight Zones coming. He literally did just that and at one point I had 4 sitting on my table, he was bringing them faster than I could drink them lol!

Fortunately, my DH and I are both platinum so don't have to go alone but it's going to be interesting to see how (or if) they enforce this.

How do you know that many will not attend and the party will be discontinued? We cruise on Princess, and the parties for platinum and elite are always packed. Long line to stand in before the door opens. Employees standing at the door collecting the invitations and they do check them.

Where would you like this to go because it can't go on any longer like it has been. I believe Carnival is doing the right thing.

Princess has the same policy. My cabin mates who were not at the same level as me, could not attend the party and waited for me in another lounge where we all met up afterwards.

As far as going alone, I am sure there will be other guests in the same situation. 45 mins. being alone isn't going to be that hard to do. People are friendly and especially if you are sitting alone. I hope the party moves to one of the smaller lounges instead of the showroom. This way you can actually speak with other guests and enjoy the party.

MARAPRINCE