HAL Tiles

csg99

I've never done anything special with mine---they're stored in a bureau drawer. They're arranged in order of cruise and bring back a sweet memory every time I open that drawer.

A couple of years ago I gave a few duplicates to someone from the Cruise Critic board. And even though the rest aren't being put to good use, still I'd hate to get rid of any more.

[ QUOTE=RuthC]A couple of years ago I gave a few duplicates to someone from the Cruise Critic board.]

I have also given some away. When we have done B to Bs, and receive 4 tiles of the same ship, and have met people on their first cruise, we have given them a memento of their cruise........jean :cool:

That's so great of you! :D Our first was on the Veendam and I had always wished we had the tiles from that cruise--who knows when we'll get to sail on her again. I did find them on Ebay a few months ago and purchased them there.

We used our tiles to line the back of one of our kitchen cabinets. We then installed lights and glass doors. We use the cabinets to display other HAL delft mementos. When we turn the lights on it is quite a display. :)

Linda

What a great idea!!:D

I have most of my tiles on top of a cabinet in my kitchen. It is low cabinet and everyone can see it as soon as they enter my kitchen. I have gotten some rave reviews as it does look neat. I have bigger delft tiles hanging on my wall in the kitchen. These were Christmas gifts from Christmas cruises back in the late 60's. The rest of my tiles are on my windowsill in the kitchen. Needless to say, I have a lot of delft in my kitchen. Adele

I velcro them to the wall of my cubicle at work - along with the matching luggage tags, mariner's buttons, shipboard cards, photo postcards, etc...

I believe HAL only started giving Tegels as gifts in recent years - since 1995? The HAL site has a new page that shows the styles that were given aboard which ships in a given year: http://www.hollandamerica.com/mariner/marinerTegels.do

"As a member of the Holland America Line Mariner Society, you will receive a collectable tegel (Dutch word for "tile") on each Holland America cruise beginning with your second cruise. The master craftsmen of Royal Goedewaagen, Holland - producers of authentic Delftware since 1610 - have created these tiles for Holland America Line. Each year, the master decorators create new designs for the tiles, which become part of a series of collector's items available only to guests of Holland America Line. We do not sell the Mariner Society tiles. They are given to our Mariner Society members during their second cruise and all subsequent cruises."

Prior to that it appears that HAL occassionally gave delft plates, vases, cannisters, jars, etc. as gifts to passengers (from what I can tell by trolling eBay...) Perhaps someone else knows more about this???

Thank you Bepsf for the link to the tiles on the HAL website -- I had not seen that yet --

So...being the compulsive personality that I am I tried to match my tiles to the pictured tiles, and the years that they were supposedly done -- the results were interesting

I am not sure that I ever received the tile that was appropriate for the year in question with the possible exception of my 1995 Statendam windmill -- HAL really went out on a limb with that one as they put the year (1995) right on the face of the tile

It seems that I received a 2000 Zaandam tile three years later, and several others seemed to be a year or two behind

The most interesting tile, however, is the one that I received this past June 2005, on the Zuiderdam which shows the current Zuiderdam from the rear, whereas the pictured tiles of the current ship on the HAL web site all show her from the front. Clearly all the tiles given out are not pictured. (or, alternately, my Zuiderdam from the rear tile is rare and valuable like a two headed penny?)

For the record I have the tiles arranged on the top of the bureau in my bedroom and use them as coasters for cologne, perfume, etc. Soon I will have too many and must find secondary uses for them. I really enjoy them as a keepsake of each of my HAL cruises. Many of those good at sea feelings surface momentarily as I glance at them each day.

The coasters will be left in your cabin during the cruise. Right now....it's early and brain isn't totally in gear.....I can't remember if it's early on or late in the cruise. Right now my coffee mug is sitting on my tile from the Oosterdam from March 2004. :)

Archived