Overweight Luggage ?

Sumdumgi

P&O website says cases must be 20kg or you will be recalled to the terminal to repack ! When did this come in ?

Just checked and our 3 cases for Sundays 17 day Aurora trip are each 22ish kgs - should we expect to get summoned by the ship's staff ?

I know we could take another bag but .....

The porters are big strong chaps (and ladies), you will only be recalled if your case is soooo heavy that it stands out from the crowd. Be assured they do not weight each case individually as happens at an airport check-in.

Have a lovely cruise and don't worry about it.

It has said 20kg weight per case for at least 2 years.... and has said it is because of handling issues. It is probably Health and Safety regs. Am sure you will be fine just a bit over. :)

Edited by Scriv

We're just going to chance it. We've sailed without checking before but my wife for some reason weighed the cases this time ... Anyway it's done, all locked up and ready to load in the car tomorrow morning for the long drive from the north east and a relaxing Saturday night in Southampton before boarding on Sunday.

To be honest I have never weighed my suitcases cruising from Southampton. I just use sensible sized cases and fill them up if there is not enough room I get another case and fill that. Why weigh them and get stressed?

Regards John

P&O website says cases must be 20kg or you will be recalled to the terminal to repack ! When did this come in ?

Just checked and our 3 cases for Sundays 17 day Aurora trip are each 22ish kgs - should we expect to get summoned by the ship's staff ?

My moto is ,if I cant lift them why should I expect anyone else to. I know they are big strong hunky men and I am a fluffy little female but that's my moto.

I just take extra luggage if its a long cruise.

I don't think you will get called back. You may find when your cases appear they have the shame of OVERWEIGHT stickers on them. Depends if you want to embarrass your luggage or not...tee hee.

We had 4 big cases, 1 each, on Britannia in March that were over 20 kilos. Nothing was said. I think the rule is there so they can enforce it if they encounter a really overweight bag. If you are using the car parking service once the cases are whisked away from your car I cannot see how they could find you again before checking in in order to re-pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I noticed it too on the website after reading somewhere on here about weigt limits, didn't know its been like that for 2 years. On our last cruise on Azura 2 years ago, I never gave weight limits a thought. I normally do as others have said, pack it so I can lift it. I wouldn't expect the baggage handlers to try and lift my case if I couldn't do so myself. Saying that, I have got luggage scales from Aldi to try out. Will prob use them when we pack to come home and maybe check my case on the bathroom scales before we go this time. On a 14 night cruise we usually have 1 large case each plus hand luggage, if need be I have a large roller hold-all going spare so can always use that.

The beauty of cruising, just take everything, seriously, I have taken 6 cases in the past and never been a problem, weight wise or numbers, as long as you can lift from cab/car to embarkation terminal you are fine. I hate leaving things behind so just take all your lovely things. Have a great time.

If I can lift it onto the train at Durham and off at Southampton then I figure that the porters who are over 20 years younger will have no problems. Once got an overweight sticker!

The Manual Handling Regs were introduced in 1992 and no maximum weight is quoted in them but each company has a requirement to carry out a risk assessment.

Where I would suggest that 22 kgs is possibly Ok I would suggest that 30 kgs definitely isn't. Its OK joking that the guys who lift the cases are big, young and strong but they have to lift a lot of cases every day where a passenger only normally lifts 1 or 2. This leads to back injury eventually. I always weigh my cases and I think its common sense that everyone does. Most people know when cases are far too heavy and a little consideration is required.

The Manual Handling Regs were introduced in 1992 and no maximum weight is quoted in them but each company has a requirement to carry out a risk assessment.

Where I would suggest that 22 kgs is possibly Ok I would suggest that 30 kgs definitely isn't. Its OK joking that the guys who lift the cases are big, young and strong but they have to lift a lot of cases every day where a passenger only normally lifts 1 or 2. This leads to back injury eventually. I always weigh my cases and I think its common sense that everyone does. Most people know when cases are far too heavy and a little consideration is required.

Totally totally agree

I agree completely can never understand what some people say they have packed or taking on a cruise with them

I agree completely can never understand what some people say they have packed or taking on a cruise with them

Same here - agree. We always weigh our cases but to be honest have tended to weigh them to 22kgs like Jet2. Now that I'm aware it says 20kg we will be mindful of that in future.