Four Star Mariner benefits for everyone at Pinnacle?

Primus

I think it worth mentioning that if someone is already Five Star Mariner, they don't care about extra spending days. They are already at maximum but for President's Club and whether they are or are not Six Star. I don't think spending days are factored to be among that small group.

Whether we hosted 10 people at dinner or no one made no difference to us in terms of 'days'. I'm over 800+ days.

I still think the main point is being bypassed. We had no idea what we were charged for our guests at the time we had our dinner. We had no input and never saw a check but for alcohol at the end of our meal. Whatever we were charged was completely the action of HAL and nothing to do by us.

All that aside, I have huge respect for how well Mariners Society is conducted. I think they are among the finest department in the HAL organization.

We ate at Pinnacle last week and at first sat there because we expected a slip that we needed to sign. But we found out that they just charge to your stateroom and no signature is required.

They give a discount to those with Mariner status and the system figures it out.

BUT--if you go back and read the first question, from a new four star mariner, it was can we take our family and still get the discount for everyone? What followed were many answers that yes, people were able to do this in the past.

Then someone posted the official policy that said, well...it really only applies to those in the same stateroom with the same booking number.

So the bottom line is probably you will be charged the same discount for your entire table but maybe not if they decide to follow policy.

Sort of like, most of the time you must stop at the wine table when getting on the ship but sometimes nobody cares. Or usually you are expected to dress in the MDR on formal night but on some ships and sailings it doesn't really matter.

Those rules are on the books and you never know when or if they will be applied.

It appears that this charge goes to whoever gives their stateroom number and the system calculates the discount whether 25%, 50% or free based on the mariner status connected to that stateroom.

They give a discount to those with Mariner status and the system figures it out.

It bears repeating: Not always, it doesn't. If you want to be sure you were charged properly, and given the correct discount, it pays to check your bill.

I have found that if I speak up about what the correct discount should be when I book the dinner, and again at some point when I dine there, it improves the chances of being charged correctly.

So no one would be upset if you took guests and you were charged your correct 4/5 star discount and were charged the appropriate amount for your guests, be it full price or 3 star discount. When you make it clear that others are your guests and should be charged to your account you have agreed to pay for them. In the broad scheme of things it is not that much money but worth pointing out that there is a policy in place that could be followed on a particular ship at any time.

How many times have we been told---read everything, not knowing the policies is not an excuse to complain.

So no one would be upset if you took guests and you were charged your correct 4/5 star discount and were charged the appropriate amount for your guests, be it full price or 3 star discount. When you make it clear that others are your guests and should be charged to your account you have agreed to pay for them. In the broad scheme of things it is not that much money but worth pointing out that there is a policy in place that could be followed on a particular ship at any time.

How many times have we been told---read everything, not knowing the policies is not an excuse to complain.

I agree. Goodness knows that "the rules are the rules" and the "it's all about me" has been bantered around consistently on CC.

This thread simply has me wondering whether this is yet another policy that HAL chooses to ignore? We simply don't know. Other posters provided examples of how it would seem that HAL is simply ignoring this policy, and HAL certainly has the right to do that. On the other hand, this thread may be highlighting an operational problem that exists on HAL ships. The lost revenue is ultimately passed onto everyone in the form of higher cruise tickets and additional fees.

I agree. Goodness knows that "the rules are the rules" and the "it's all about me" has been bantered around consistently on CC.

This thread simply has me wondering whether this is yet another policy that HAL chooses to ignore? We simply don't know. Other posters provided examples of how it would seem that HAL is simply ignoring this policy, and HAL certainly has the right to do that. On the other hand, this thread may be highlighting an operational problem that exists on HAL ships. The lost revenue is ultimately passed onto everyone in the form of higher cruise tickets and additional fees.

Hal needs to worry more about their pricing polices then giving discounts for restaurants. I just got of the Veendam yesterday. I constantly heard about the cheap deals people got on the cruise that I paid multiples for. People know hal gives away the farm at the end and it seems no one is booking far out anymore. They are likely losing a lot more revenue from that then a few bucks at the pinnacle. This is a total red herring. Just to be clear I've never had anyone benefit from my pricing and I've dined with several people on my cruises.

I wouldn't have been. I had offered to pay for my guests and, as it turned out they are 3* mariners (most at our lunch were 4 or 3* mariners) so, if I had been charged an extra $5.00 it would have been no biggie to me, personally.

Cost of a PG lunch is not going to break the bank no matter what * level and on this ship, it was worth every penny :) We went several times after. It was just so good :)

I'm not about to worry about the cost pennies on a cruise after what I have spent for the cabin, getting there and pre and post cruise stays ;)

Edited by kazu

Of course what you are charged is completely the action of HAL, yet what you pay is determined by you. Surely upon receiving the print-out at the end of the cruise you review it for possible errors and notify the front desk of both over-charges and under-charges?

My DH used to scan an end of cruise bill. We didn't take out every bar tab, every shop slip, everything charged to check off on the bill. I kept the slips in an envelope in the event we wanted them but they remained in that envelope. He had a very good idea what the bill should be.....(he was good with numbers ;) ) and frankly if the bill was $100 more or less than it should have been, we would have let it pass. If something glaringly did not seem correct, he would check with me and would question it with the concierge if we thought it appropriate. Would he stand in line on last day for $50? No. We sailed in the identical cabins about 4-6 cruises a year for many years. We knew about what our bill should be.

This in no way criticizes those who check off each bar slip. YOU are the ones who are correct. WE were the ones that would rather be enjoying another hour at the pool or cocktail or whatever.

No need to tell me how 'stupid' our choices may have been. They suited us.

Edited by sail7seas

My DH used to scan an end of cruise bill. We didn't take out every bar tab, every shop slip, everything charged to check off on the bill. I kept the slips in an envelope in the event we wanted them but they remained in that envelope. He had a very good idea what the bill should be.....(he was good with numbers ;) ) and frankly if the bill was $100 more or less than it should have been, we would have let it pass. If something glaringly did not seem correct, he would check with me and would question it with the concierge if we thought it appropriate. Would he stand in line on last day for $50? No. We sailed in the identical cabins about 4-6 cruises a year for many years. We knew about what our bill should be.

This in no way criticizes those who check off each bar slip. YOU are the ones who are correct. WE were the ones that would rather be enjoying another hour at the pool or cocktail or whatever.

No need to tell me how 'stupid' our choices may have been. They suited us.

No need to keep defending yourself, Sail, although you make a good point!

we had invited folks to join us for an anniversary dinner, however the husband decided he didn't want us to pay for their dinner. We love these people, we would never argue with them about the charge. It is up the the folks involved.

No need to keep defending yourself, Sail, although you make a good point!

You are right!! :)

I do tend to defend myself far more here than I ever do in 'real life'. :D

You are right!! :)

I do tend to defend myself far more here than I ever do in 'real life'. :D

Likewise. I seems that many people have their own agenda here. If someone gets more attention then they do it's time to beat on them.