Four Star Mariner benefits for everyone at Pinnacle?

Primus

Ruth:

We've been told several times that the 4/5 star discount does not involve the Pinnacle Manager.

He submits, via computer, who dined in the Pinnacle.

Then, the "night auditor" places charges and then discounts.

Obviously, for a large group, such as on the Westerdam (Sail Away Gang), the Pinnacle manager would be involved in setting this all up so it works.

It was arranged pre-cruise. I was asked to meet the PG manager let him know the table set up and whom to bill. I met with Raj on the first day (who is a great PG manager) and he simply needed the room number for each table to bill. If he had told me to do something else, I would have.

I think they were quite happy to have such a great group there. All the staff had fun and yes, we all orderd drinks :)

All this Pinnacle Grill talk is making me hungry ;)

For those of you concerned about "who gets the Mariner points" let me point out that a $10 lunch credit means you would have to invite 30 of your closest friends to get to $300 and a whole 1 DAY Mariner credit :rolleyes:

And, if you are 4*, you need to invite 60 people :eek:

Edited by kazu

It was arranged pre-cruise. I was asked to meet the PG manager let him know the table set up and whom to bill. I met with Raj on the first day (who is a great PG manager) and he simply needed the room number for each table to bill. If he had told me to do something else, I would have.

I think they were quite happy to have such a great group there. All the staff had fun and yes, we all orderd drinks :)

And, if you are 4*, you need to invite 60 people :eek:

Hi, Kazu

I know you had it all prearranged. Take a look at my last sentence, starting "obviously......".

I am glad this all worked out so well for you and the Gang!

There must be something about the Pinnacle Grill that gets people ready to jump up and come to its defense. Last year it was that someone spilled the beans that children under 12 ate free. Now it is over a $10 lunch and who gets the credit.

As part of the group in question I must say that Kazu was very thorough in making the arrangements for this lunch including phoning Seattle. There was no covert operation in place. We had a very nice lunch and we all paid; nobody stiffed the PG out of the cost for the meal.

I am touched that some are concerned whether we got our due Mariner points. I can assure you that we have no concern. All was good.

So good that we booked Le Cirque and another dinner too.

Well, we will be on the Volendam in a couple of weeks with DSIL and her hubby and if we invite them to the Pinnacle for dinner, we will have to discuss with the Manager how it works. We have also, in the past, done the wine package purchasing to share with family, and they do the Happy Hour drinkies! No one has ever questioned our treating them, or them treating us. Well, I suppose there would not be any question about the Happy Hour purchases, they would be the same either way.

BTW, it's a secret! They don't know we will be on the cruise with them, so no telling, heehee.:D

All this Pinnacle Grill talk is making me hungry ;)

For those of you concerned about "who gets the Mariner points" let me point out that a $10 lunch credit means you would have to invite 30 of your closest friends to get to $300 and a whole 1 DAY Mariner credit :rolleyes:

Way too complicated math for me! LOL

But I get your point. :)

And it's a good one.

Well, we will be on the Volendam in a couple of weeks with DSIL and her hubby and if we invite them to the Pinnacle for dinner, we will have to discuss with the Manager how it works. We have also, in the past, done the wine package purchasing to share with family, and they do the Happy Hour drinkies! No one has ever questioned our treating them, or them treating us. Well, I suppose there would not be any question about the Happy Hour purchases, they would be the same either way.

BTW, it's a secret! They don't know we will be on the cruise with them, so no telling, heehee.:D

Ann

GREAT that you are off on another cruise so soon!!

The Volendam will be a nice change and the surprise should be a fun time!!

Hope you will have a wonderful cruise with the best weather.

Ann

GREAT that you are off on another cruise so soon!!

The Volendam will be a nice change and the surprise should be a fun time!!

Hope you will have a wonderful cruise with the best weather.

Thanks SilvertoGold, we're looking forward to it, and the weather right now is gorgeous here in Victoria - I think it's even hotter up the coast. Then they will have another week here with us, before heading for the Big Apple (they live in Australia, and usually get around-the-world tickets, so they have to keep going in the same direction).

Edited by Vict0riann

Thanks SilvertoGold, we're looking forward to it, and the weather right now is gorgeous here in Victoria - I think it's even hotter up the coast. Then they will have another week here with us, before heading for the Big Apple (they live in Australia, and usually get around-the-world tickets, so they have to keep going in the same direction).

You have a great time planned with your relatives!

Clouding over here on the mainland a bit today, but you are right: gorgeous weather lately!!

Hi, Kazu

I know you had it all prearranged. Take a look at my last sentence, starting "obviously......".

I am glad this all worked out so well for you and the Gang!

oh yes, sorry, I was just trying to explain what happened when I got on board. If Raj had said anything I would have been happy to comply.

We all had a great time, I must say, and yes, like 1of4, many people booked other dinners, Le Cirque, etc. The staff that took care of us in the PG for our 20 day cruise were great :)

The hamburger at the PG for us was par excellence by the way. :)

That is an interesting angle. So, some gain extra spending credits and some lose spending credits, towards their Star levels.

Seems to be OK with HAL, but it looks like a sloppy program. I have to say I am a bit surprised, as I have felt the Mariner Society has always been run extremely well.

It is obviously okay with HAL, as this can be very easily verified and stopped. And I agree with your statement that it looks like a sloppy program. It leads one to question the credibility of a program that can be so easily manipulated.

It is obviously okay with HAL, as this can be very easily verified and stopped. And I agree with your statement that it looks like a sloppy program. It leads one to question the credibility of a program that can be so easily manipulated.

We recently shared the Oasis at Half Moon Cay with a group of about 14 people.

The only way to rent the Oasis in advance is to have one person book it and then that person splits the cost evenly among the others. However, the person doing the booking receives about four mariner days. There is no other way to book it.

I was so thrilled to spend a day in the Oasis that I was fine with that arrangement. The person who does the booking assumes the risk of trusting roll call members will reimburse them and not back out at the last minute so who cares about a few mariner days?

We were all too busy having a wonderful time being pampered by the Pinnacle Grill staff who looked after us in the Oasis to give a second thought to the fact that there might be people out there in CC land who would be horrified to learn that one person got Mariner points for the outing.

Was it manipulation for the person doing the booking to have privately collected each person's share? If one wants to follow the logic that some on this thread are suggesting, then the person who books should bear the full cost themselves.

Now doesn't that sound ridiculous?

The only way to rent the Oasis in advance is to have one person book it and then that person splits the cost evenly among the others. However, the person doing the booking receives about four mariner days. There is no other way to book it.

I was so thrilled to spend a day in the Oasis that I was fine with that arrangement. The person who does the booking assumes the risk of trusting roll call members will reimburse them and not back out at the last minute so who cares about a few mariner days?

We were all too busy having a wonderful time being pampered by the Pinnacle Grill staff who looked after us in the Oasis to give a second thought to the fact that there might be people out there in CC land who would be horrified to learn that one person got Mariner points for the outing.

Was it manipulation for the person doing the booking to have privately collected each person's share? If one wants to follow the logic that some on this thread are suggesting, then the person who books should bear the full cost themselves.

You are absolutely correct sapper1. The only way to book the Oasis and a number of HAL excursions that are private (cars, vans, minibuses with driver and guide) are for one person to book it. HAL's instructions are very explicit in that regard and someone has to do it.

The first time we did the Oasis, one of the roll call members offered to book it and we would each pay x dollars. It was the only way to do it. In fact the extra people (if there are more than 12) also have to be booked by the person who has the Oasis. On board, HAL will check to make sure and eliminate and refund anyone who was not part of the organizer's group.

No one going to the Oasis gave a thought to the mariner days that person would earn. We were grateful he booked it and took the responsibility of it and were having too much fun enjoying all the pampering.

Thank-you for sharing yet another way that we can earn Mariner credits. I would have never thought about it. Are there other ways that you know of that you care to share?

Thank-you for sharing yet another way that we can earn Mariner credits. I would have never thought about it. Are there other ways that you know of that you care to share?

I really don't understand where the hostility is coming from. Would you care to share?:confused:

Wow. Manipulation is quite a charge.

So how do you handle it when you book a room at a hotel you share with another or pay for something for another with your credit card (ie: split the bill and pay with one card) that earns you points? Do you refuse the points or share them with the person for whom you covered the charge?

Edited by TiogaCruiser

huh???? this is not about sharing Mariner credits. This is the only way you can book these HAL excursions. HAL's rules. It's as simple as that.

No point in explaining though if you choose not to comprehend.

The Marnier benefit seems clear to me also that benefits are for your own personal use only and for those sharing the same booking number.

We should also remember that Marnier benefits can be earned by on-board spending. By offering others your discount, the total of the spending will credited to your Mariner number and not to those who actually spent the money. By collecting the funds afterward, it can be argued that you are receiving benefits that you did not properly earn and may not be entitled to.

That is an interesting angle. So, some gain extra spending credits and some lose spending credits, towards their Star levels.

Seems to be OK with HAL, but it looks like a sloppy program. I have to say I am a bit surprised, as I have felt the Mariner Society has always been run extremely well.

I think it worth mentioning that if someone is already Five Star Mariner, they don't care about extra spending days. They are already at maximum but for President's Club and whether they are or are not Six Star. I don't think spending days are factored to be among that small group.

Whether we hosted 10 people at dinner or no one made no difference to us in terms of 'days'. I'm over 800+ days.

I still think the main point is being bypassed. We had no idea what we were charged for our guests at the time we had our dinner. We had no input and never saw a check but for alcohol at the end of our meal. Whatever we were charged was completely the action of HAL and nothing to do by us.

All that aside, I have huge respect for how well Mariners Society is conducted. I think they are among the finest department in the HAL organization.

Edited by sail7seas

This business about comparing the Oasis booking with the Pinnacle is facile.

Apples and oranges: where is the discount for the Oasis?

Is not this the way HAL does it with the Oasis booking, as opposed to the conditions for use of the discounts for the Pinnacle?

There is no comparison.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I think it worth mentioning that if someone is already Five Star Mariner, they don't care about extra spending days. They are already at maximum but for President's Club and whether they are or are not Six Star. I don't think spending days are factored to be among that small group.

Whether we hosted 10 people at dinner or no one made no difference to us in terms of 'days'. I'm over 800+ days.

I still think the main point is being bypassed. We had no idea what we were charged for our guests at the time we had our dinner. We had no input and never saw a check but for alcohol at the end of our meal. Whatever we were charged was completely the action of HAL and nothing to do by us.

All that aside, I have huge respect for how well Mariners Society is conducted. I think they are among the finest department in the HAL organization.

Sail

You are correct on every point.

5 stars don't care about spending points, unless HAL institutes a 6 star level, that is.

You are NOT at fault hosting friends and getting the discount for them. HAL's sloppy way of inconsistency ship to ship, HAL head office to the ships, etc is at issue here, for me.

The Mariner Society is, indeed, one of the very best departments in Seattle. Really too bad the ships are messing up their program, and doing it often. And I mean often: night auditor can't get Ruth's 2 complimentary Pinnacle's straight; our same charges and extras at 50% incorrect over and over again on several cruises; complimentary Cooking Classes non-existent or messed up; on and on.

absolutely spot on Sail.

I agree, the Mariner's Society is very well conducted and definitely the fastest, most efficient department at HAL as well.

BUT--if you go back and read the first question, from a new four star mariner, it was can we take our family and still get the discount for everyone? What followed were many answers that yes, people were able to do this in the past.

Then someone posted the official policy that said, well...it really only applies to those in the same stateroom with the same booking number.

So the bottom line is probably you will be charged the same discount for your entire table but maybe not if they decide to follow policy.

Sort of like, most of the time you must stop at the wine table when getting on the ship but sometimes nobody cares. Or usually you are expected to dress in the MDR on formal night but on some ships and sailings it doesn't really matter.

Those rules are on the books and you never know when or if they will be applied.

BUT--if you go back and read the first question, from a new four star mariner, it was can we take our family and still get the discount for everyone? What followed were many answers that yes, people were able to do this in the past.

Then someone posted the official policy that said, well...it really only applies to those in the same stateroom with the same booking number.

So the bottom line is probably you will be charged the same discount for your entire table but maybe not if they decide to follow policy.

Sort of like, most of the time you must stop at the wine table when getting on the ship but sometimes nobody cares. Or usually you are expected to dress in the MDR on formal night but on some ships and sailings it doesn't really matter.

Those rules are on the books and you never know when or if they will be applied.

Nice summary.

And you are right: HAL rules and condiditons may or not be applied or enforced. This rubs some people the wrong way because it is one cruise line and the individual ships often seem to be unaware/uninterested in company policy, rules and conditions, Mariner Society Rewards etc.

Maybe HAL wants to keep the rules and conditions in reserve for the really big problems, like the guy who shows up in the MDR on Formal Night in wifebeater t-shirt and shorts. Useful to have a rule to point out in such a case.

Maybe a clue to this whole Pinnacle discount mess is in HAL's policy as quoted in post 7: although "Not applicable to groups", "HAL reserves the right to limit benefits if necessary".

Perhaps this is HAL-speak for: each ship can make the call on this policy.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Of course what you are charged is completely the action of HAL, yet what you pay is determined by you. Surely upon receiving the print-out at the end of the cruise you review it for possible errors and notify the front desk of both over-charges and under-charges?