Live From - 5/22 and 6/1/15 Golden Alaska

ccrain

Thanks.. I wanted to figure out best night for the Crown Grill. I know one of the nights is the 50th Anniversary menu. I wanted to skip that one.

We did crown grill night 1 and loved avoiding the mayhem of anytime dining. Reservations are hard to get due to lots of vouchers & freebies

Do you know if Princess@Sea Messenger is up and running on the Golden now? I was trying to figure out how to communicate amongst my family when we are on board in a few weeks. Thanks for the updates and enjoy your next cruise.

Mike--jane from our roll call here. PCL WILL assign a place for the M/G if you don't know the ropes. Their pref seems to be Wheelhouse. It took a couple of M/G to figure this one out! Hence our group will be in the other place! [emoji13]

Mike--jane from our roll call here. PCL WILL assign a place for the M/G if you don't know the ropes. Their pref seems to be Wheelhouse. It took a couple of M/G to figure this one out! Hence our group will be in the other place! [emoji13]

We probably cruised a dozen or more times without notifying Princess of a M&G.

Just decide where you want to have the M&G and let your roll call group know. There is no need to notify them unless someone wants the staff to attend.

Mike:)

Do you know if Princess@Sea Messenger is up and running on the Golden now? I was trying to figure out how to communicate amongst my family when we are on board in a few weeks. Thanks for the updates and enjoy your next cruise.

The log on part is working, as is the access to your account. But I don't know if the message part is working or not. Haven't tried it.

I will ask around...you do have to be careful though. Turn roaming off and wifi on, otherwise a smart phone will log into the roaming cell system and download stuff you might not want to pay for.

Tendering into Juneau, they let off right at the Taku Lodge plane loading ramp. Basically the heart of the town, but a ways from the tram to the south, say about 3/8 of a mile.

In Ketchikan we tendered into just north of the last cruise ship dock space. Its north across a parking lot from Tongass. Its not bad to walk to the busses, or to the lumberjack show…

Here’s the CC numbers for this cruise. 2837 passengers, 262 under 21, 1694 Blue, 471 Gold, 199 Ruby, 333 Platinum, 140 Elite. Most traveled was 1164 days. Most traveled cutoff was 274 days – HEY were not on the border this time!

Officers and Staff from Patter

Captain Niccolo Bommarco

Staff Captain Demlano De Pinto

Chief Engineer Neil Graham

Hotel General Manager Martin May

Cruise Director Billy London

Senior Doctor Nicola Beck

Customer Services Director Malcolm Petersen

Food and Beverage Director Christopher Nothdurft

Staff Engineer Officer Antonio Fasciano

Staff Electro-Technical Officer Sergio Soriano

Environmental Officer Simon Alan Whitehouse

Executive Housekeeper Rul Goncelves

Executive Chef Antonio Costantino

Matre de Hotel Luigi Moretti

Tendering into Juneau, they let off right at the Taku Lodge plane loading ramp. Basically the heart of the town, but a ways from the tram to the south, say about 3/8 of a mile.

In Ketchikan we tendered into just north of the last cruise ship dock space. Its north across a parking lot from Tongass. Its not bad to walk to the busses, or to the lumberjack show…

Here’s the CC numbers for this cruise. 2837 passengers, 262 under 21, 1694 Blue, 471 Gold, 199 Ruby, 333 Platinum, 140 Elite. Most traveled was 1164 days. Most traveled cutoff was 274 days – HEY were not on the border this time!

Officers and Staff from Patter

Captain Niccolo Bommarco

Staff Captain Demlano De Pinto

Chief Engineer Neil Graham

Hotel General Manager Martin May

Cruise Director Billy London

Senior Doctor Nicola Beck

Customer Services Director Malcolm Petersen

Food and Beverage Director Christopher Nothdurft

Staff Engineer Officer Antonio Fasciano

Staff Electro-Technical Officer Sergio Soriano

Environmental Officer Simon Alan Whitehouse

Executive Housekeeper Rul Goncelves

Executive Chef Antonio Costantino

Matre de Hotel Luigi Moretti

Thanks!

Melissa, the Captain’s Circle lady, stops by every night.

If you get a chance, please ask her about the removal of the Chocolate Covered Strawberries from the elite canape list for formal evenings.

Thanks.

Many Thanks, We haven't sailed on the Golden but am looking forward to our August cruise on her now that you have given us all a very informative daily update. We will be celebrating our 50th Anniversary on the Golden and am going to take your advice on renewing our vowels. I would like your opinion on whether we should do it on a formal night or do it when there is not as much going on? I have looked forward to all the that you have posted and enjoyed it so much. One question???? What are all of us going to do once you leave the ship?????

To CCrain:

Cancelling your cruises this year. Was looking forward to your time on the Crown for the Hawaii-Tahiti cruise. We are on that one but even though we sail when you're doing lives, we read it . Nice to see what others are doing at the same cruise we are on.

Also will miss seeing you and your lovely wife dancing. Folks- this is a wonderful dancing couple.

Your Lives writing really captures my interest. Love it. I feel like I am sitting in the IC with you as you drink your morning coffee and post on CC.

Following along and thoroughly enjoying your post. I am looking forward to hearing what you end up doing "on your own" in the ports. We plan on doing the same in Ketchikan so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I couldn't agree more about Sabbatini's - we decided the last time we went to save our $50 on any future cruise and spend it elsewhere. I love the idea of Asian/fusion.

Many Thanks, We haven't sailed on the Golden but am looking forward to our August cruise on her now that you have given us all a very informative daily update. We will be celebrating our 50th Anniversary on the Golden and am going to take your advice on renewing our vowels. I would like your opinion on whether we should do it on a formal night or do it when there is not as much going on? I have looked forward to all the that you have posted and enjoyed it so much. One question???? What are all of us going to do once you leave the ship?????

We had an Ultimate Balcony Dinner scheduled as well, and we invited much of the cruise staff, which they would not have been able to attend on a formal night. Non-formal nights gives the crew more flexibility and I will bet the Matre' De will make special arrangements for you in the dining room if you talk to your renewal of vows coordinator.

They really go out of their way to make your night special and 50 years is pretty darn special. Have them video and photograph the ceremony and send out copies to all the kids for Christmas presents!

You have to wait until October. Judy and I are scheduled for the Crown Tahiti cruise and I will do a Live From on that one as well.

Thanks for riding along!

To CCrain:

Cancelling your cruises this year. Was looking forward to your time on the Crown for the Hawaii-Tahiti cruise. We are on that one but even though we sail when you're doing lives, we read it . Nice to see what others are doing at the same cruise we are on.

Also will miss seeing you and your lovely wife dancing. Folks- this is a wonderful dancing couple.

Your Lives writing really captures my interest. Love it. I feel like I am sitting in the IC with you as you drink your morning coffee and post on CC.

but we had to cancel the Australia cruise in February and the Norway cruise this month. Although we did squeeze in an Ally cruise instead.

I'm hoping the Crown cruise holds, and the two scheduled next year as well. Looking forward to macho Picchu for sure!

Headed into Juneau through the various channels and islands. Overcast, cloudy, foggy and drizzly – it might be a good thing we cancelled the flight seeing. We arrive at 1300 and all aboard is 2130. Lots of interesting stuff in the patter for tonight. This morning is Zumba and prep the electronics.

One thing to note, we got the slip to order transfers last night. Based on the taxi line in San Fran last week, I’m opting for a bus transfer rather than a taxi. The early bus transfers leave 30 minutes before they let non-self carries off the ship, and based on the lines and lack of taxis, it might be a better bet. The reason I bring it up is that sometimes the number of bus transfers is limited. Don’t know if that’s the case in San Fran, but didn’t want to take the chance.

Plan is to meet a couple of crew whom have never been to Juneau before and take them into the town to show them the wifi spots, fudge shops, neat places to eat, etc. If the weather is clear, we’re headed up on the tram for some photos, then to lunch at Twisted Fish. They only have 2 hours ashore, so it will be a quick nickel tour. After lunch Judy, Ally and I will take the bus out to the glacier center and hike out to Nugget falls. Probably spend a few hours out there as well.

Last night was a short night. With Judy and Ally fighting their cruise colds, it was more Nyquil and sleep than dancing and partying. Dinner was the 50th anniversary dinner. Same menu as last week, and still the same great pasta. Really, really good. Neither Ally nor Judy cared for the chocolate dessert, but I liked it. We didn’t get to sit with Bernardo and Menando, but next to their station, so we got to say hi at least. Service was quick and efficient despite the entire dining room being set in about 30 minutes. Just like a traditional seating for sure.

We went to see Michael Wilson’s show in Vista. Nice thing about today’s comedians is that all of their shows are different depending on audience reactions. There were several different, and very funny, sequences in this show than the last one. He is getting off today but will probably show up on another Princess ship in Alaska this week. Ship hopping if you will. See him if you get a chance.

We went to the Majority Rules game, MC’ed by Megan and Sam. Sam is just a nut and tries to play the ‘dumb blonde’ role, but don’t let that fool you. (Actually Jen on the Dawn, some 20 cruises ago, played it very well. I think she’s still in the fleet down in Australia.) She is one sharp cookie. Megan is from South Africa and there are quite a few South Africans on the ship. The CC hostess, the senior doctor, a couple of photography people, and some in the shops as well. They really toned the questions down a lot since the last time we played this game. Probably because of the number of kids in the audience.

After majority rules, it was time for Judy and Ally’s Nyquil. The clocks went back an hour last night so they got an extra hour’s sleep. Hopefully that will help them kick the cold.

They are showing the NBA finals in Vista this afternoon at 1600. There is an Ocean’s trivia and a presentation of the Alaska String band in the theater. Libby Riddles is on in the theater this evening at 1900, and there are movies in Vista as they do not play loud MUTS due to Alaska noise restrictions. Rolling Jay Moore is back in the Princess theater tonight as well. A Klondike party starts in the Piazza tonight at sailaway. It was a bust last cruise. We’ll see what happens this cruise. Then they moved the Midnight Sun Campfire party back to the Sanctuary, where I understand it was much better than the back deck last cruise. We’re going to hit that one as well.

That’s all from Juneau. We’ll chat later…

Headed into Juneau through the various channels and islands. Overcast, cloudy, foggy and drizzly – it might be a good thing we cancelled the flight seeing. We arrive at 1300 and all aboard is 2130. Lots of interesting stuff in the patter for tonight. This morning is Zumba and prep the electronics.

One thing to note, we got the slip to order transfers last night. Based on the taxi line in San Fran last week, I’m opting for a bus transfer rather than a taxi. The early bus transfers leave 30 minutes before they let non-self carries off the ship, and based on the lines and lack of taxis, it might be a better bet. The reason I bring it up is that sometimes the number of bus transfers is limited. Don’t know if that’s the case in San Fran, but didn’t want to take the chance.

Plan is to meet a couple of crew whom have never been to Juneau before and take them into the town to show them the wifi spots, fudge shops, neat places to eat, etc. If the weather is clear, we’re headed up on the tram for some photos, then to lunch at Twisted Fish. They only have 2 hours ashore, so it will be a quick nickel tour. After lunch Judy, Ally and I will take the bus out to the glacier center and hike out to Nugget falls. Probably spend a few hours out there as well.

Last night was a short night. With Judy and Ally fighting their cruise colds, it was more Nyquil and sleep than dancing and partying. Dinner was the 50th anniversary dinner. Same menu as last week, and still the same great pasta. Really, really good. Neither Ally nor Judy cared for the chocolate dessert, but I liked it. We didn’t get to sit with Bernardo and Menando, but next to their station, so we got to say hi at least. Service was quick and efficient despite the entire dining room being set in about 30 minutes. Just like a traditional seating for sure.

We went to see Michael Wilson’s show in Vista. Nice thing about today’s comedians is that all of their shows are different depending on audience reactions. There were several different, and very funny, sequences in this show than the last one. He is getting off today but will probably show up on another Princess ship in Alaska this week. Ship hopping if you will. See him if you get a chance.

We went to the Majority Rules game, MC’ed by Megan and Sam. Sam is just a nut and tries to play the ‘dumb blonde’ role, but don’t let that fool you. (Actually Jen on the Dawn, some 20 cruises ago, played it very well. I think she’s still in the fleet down in Australia.) She is one sharp cookie. Megan is from South Africa and there are quite a few South Africans on the ship. The CC hostess, the senior doctor, a couple of photography people, and some in the shops as well. They really toned the questions down a lot since the last time we played this game. Probably because of the number of kids in the audience.

After majority rules, it was time for Judy and Ally’s Nyquil. The clocks went back an hour last night so they got an extra hour’s sleep. Hopefully that will help them kick the cold.

They are showing the NBA finals in Vista this afternoon at 1600. There is an Ocean’s trivia and a presentation of the Alaska String band in the theater. Libby Riddles is on in the theater this evening at 1900, and there are movies in Vista as they do not play loud MUTS due to Alaska noise restrictions. Rolling Jay Moore is back in the Princess theater tonight as well. A Klondike party starts in the Piazza tonight at sailaway. It was a bust last cruise. We’ll see what happens this cruise. Then they moved the Midnight Sun Campfire party back to the Sanctuary, where I understand it was much better than the back deck last cruise. We’re going to hit that one as well.

That’s all from Juneau. We’ll chat later…

For the CC captains list who is the current captain and can you find out how long he is scheduled to stay on the Golden so that I can post the info on CC?

Thanks for your updates.

Tom:)

For the CC captains list who is the current captain and can you find out how long he is scheduled to stay on the Golden so that I can post the info on CC?

Thanks for your updates.

Tom:)

Capt. Bommarco will be onboard until July 1, 2015

Capt. Vincenzo Lubrano-Lobianco July 1, 2015 to August 5, 2015

Capt. Bommarco August 5, 2015 to December 8, 2015

Last fall on our Alaska cruise, we choose to ride bikes in Skagway. We did the ship tour. There were less than 20 that signed up for it. They bussed us up the mountain, pass the first check point then we all rode down to town. There was only one small place that was uphill. Even though it was cold and rainy, it was the best trip we have ever taken. Highly recommend if you really want to do something fun and do some exercise too. It took less than two hours so there was plenty of time to see the town and have lunch as well. (We are in our early 60's and don't dance but we do head to the local gym almost daily so we were ready. . .)

Loving your reports. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

In SF, I know each stop you made - the candy store and the Safeway. Love staying at the Tuscan Inn when I visit each summer.

Have a good day in Skagway!

The log on part is working, as is the access to your account. But I don't know if the message part is working or not. Haven't tried it.

I will ask around...you do have to be careful though. Turn roaming off and wifi on, otherwise a smart phone will log into the roaming cell system and download stuff you might not want to pay for.

Still curious if the Messenger at Sea is working? How do you stay in touch with your family while on board, are you using your cell phones?

I love the idea of the Messenger at Sea if it works.

Thanks for the suggestion to turn off roaming on the phone.

Enjoy your trip, hope the girls kick their cold!

Completely off topic, but maybe you might have some info, as you seem soooo knowledgeable about Princess and Alaska....

Wondering if Capt. Bommarco has a good history of being able to navigate into Tracy Arm Fjord. I know that many times they say it is up to the conditions and the captain, as to how close they can get to the glacier. I have also heard that it sometimes is a matter of if they have allowed enough time for the transit as well.

If you get a chance, please ask her about the removal of the Chocolate Covered Strawberries from the elite canape list for formal evenings.

Thanks.

Good question caribill. If "we" collectively pursue this, maybe they will relent!

There was one other noticeable (to me) change to the Horizon Court. The chairs are now well padded, typical kitchen-type chairs, with straight backs and no arms. They are much more handicap friendly for people who want/need to transfer, and also better for "fluffy" people, who couldn't fit on the previous chairs (although they could generally take their food outside and eat by the hot dog grill).

Big improvement for those who need those items.

M.

The Elite Lounge is still being held in Skywalkers. I have not heard, nor seen a new Elite Lounge, but I will ask around. They did put in the new platinum studio and they did some major renovations to the HC, but the only noticeable change, besides new carpet, tile and furniture, in the HC was to add the exterior dessert station to the outside of the HC area. During lunch they also have the aforementioned noodle station as well.

There are new carpets throughout, and since it was a drydock and not a wetdock, I assume they recoated the hull.

But nothing really new like the first major Grand drydock...

Last fall on our Alaska cruise, we choose to ride bikes in Skagway. We did the ship tour. There were less than 20 that signed up for it. They bussed us up the mountain, pass the first check point then we all rode down to town. There was only one small place that was uphill. Even though it was cold and rainy, it was the best trip we have ever taken. Highly recommend if you really want to do something fun and do some exercise too. It took less than two hours so there was plenty of time to see the town and have lunch as well.

Good to hear this! I'm on the Golden next week and I've signed up for this excursion - I ride a push bike at home so I'm really looking forward to getting on a bike in the glorious scenery, even if it's raining.

Boy did I luck out. We cancelled a flightseeing tour in Juneau and a trip today involving the ferry to Haines. It rained yesterday, all day, and today the wind is howling and whitecaps, probably making the ferry trip to Haines pretty uncomfortable for Judy. Weather can be a real downer anywhere, but here in Alaska it can really affect your plans.

So basically yesterday was both the best of times and the worst of times. We took Shioban (pronounded Sho’van), from the photo gallery, to lunch so that Ally could pick her brain about life aboard a cruise ship. She only had two hours off the ship, so we gave her a whirlwind tour of Juneau, pointing out the important sites of the Fudge Shop, the Fudge Shop and the Fudge Shop! And we got to treat her to tastes she’s never had before. We went to Twisted Fish, next to the Taku smoked fish house, and had their smoked salmon appetizer and their clams in amber ale. Shioban also had, for the first time, fresh halibut, while Ally had the strip steak, Judy had the smoked salmon fettucine and I had the halibut burger with a berry chutney.

The food was really, really good. This is our favorite place to stop and have a bite before getting back of the ship. The smoked salmon appetizer consisted of cold smoked salmon, hot smoked salmon, salmon roe, capers, tomatoes, onions, herb creamed cheese and mini-bagels. It’s a good way to try smoked salmon, but none of us liked the salmon roe. Texture or taste. Too fishy. The clams were very, very good. They were cooked in a ale broth, not a white wine broth, and with a lot of seasoning. Far, far better than the last time we tried them here back in 2012 and even Judy liked them this time.

Shioban loved her halibut main course. She’s never had it before and it is one of my favorite fishes along with swordfish, tuna and mahi-mahi. Ally must have loved her steak because she quit talking completely. (She will need to learn the fine art of actually carrying on a dinner conversation during dinner one of these days.) Judy really liked her smoked salmon fettucine. My halibut burger, with a halibut fillet, not a patty, was good. It was different, which is why I ordered it, but there was too much bread for the size of the fillet and the fish got lost in the chutney and the bread.

We had a great conversation along with the meal. Shioban giving Ally pointers about working on a ship, talking about the food, the lack of sleep, the weird schedules. Then Shioban had to run back to the ship. I wanted to make sure she wasn’t late on our account for sure. It was a wonderful lunch and we had a great time. Ally is more excited than ever.

We had intended to go up the tram, but one look up showed fog and clouds around the first pylon and no sign of the terminal on the top. And it was pouring down rain. Not just a light shower, but a downpour. I looked around for an excursion booth, it was still only around 1600, but everyone had closed down. Even the Glacier Express busses were not running on a regular basis. In this kind of rain, we could not have walked out to Nugget falls anyway without getting very muddy and totally soaked. Today was the perfect day for Whale Watching, but we’d done that last time anyway, so we opted for an extended window and souvenir shopping trip into the various shops of Juneau. (Osterdam and Pacific Princess were in port with us.)

The rain cancelled the outdoor Midnight Sun campfire event in the Sanctuary as well yesterday evening. We opted for dessert, actually a fruit plate, in Horizon court, a dance set with Lots of Fun and a Klondike Trivia. After which we turned Ally loose to go to the Klondike Piazza party while we went to bed. The ship was like a ghost ship last night. I imagine everyone was pretty tired, wet and cold.

Ally really enjoyed her time with Shioban, so that was a complete success.

Today the wind is howling. Doesn’t look like rain, but it is cloudy and cold. The clouds are still low, can’t see the tops of the hills around Skagway, but if the rain holds off we should be able to see the town and hike around the port a bit. Also, weather can change in an instant, but I’m glad we’re not on a ferry to Haines right now. I would be ok, but small boats, waves and Judy do not mix.

All aboard is 2015. So a nice late night departure. Since tomorrow is Glacier Bay, we don’t have that far to go. Not a lot on the schedule today or tonight. Ric Steel (vocalist) is in the theater, Rock and Roll night in explorers, Steve Hites, an alaskan storyteller is presenting “the history of alaska in story and song”. Foxcatcher is the movie in Vista, dancing with Phoenix Rising (I still have to catch them on a break to find out their schedule) and Lots of Fun.

So not too exciting yesterday… will try to update tomorrow before Glacier Bay, but probably Ketchikan morning.

Later…

Still curious if the Messenger at Sea is working? How do you stay in touch with your family while on board, are you using your cell phones?

I love the idea of the Messenger at Sea if it works.

Thanks for the suggestion to turn off roaming on the phone.

Enjoy your trip, hope the girls kick their cold!

Just tried to send messages from the laptop to Judy's Ipad via the messenger function. Could not enter a valid To name. Tried all different combinations, but it kept giving me invalid user name errors.

We don't really stay in touch that much if we are apart on the ship. Its actually easy to find one another if we really need to...