Handicap Permit to skip lines??

yes def.. ive seen my fair share of people cruise around on the cruise on a scooter than when we are at port pop off that thing like nothing and walk the rest of the day..

on another note, my parents moved into an age restricted community, they are on the younger side.

i cant tell you how many of there neighbors have the handicap parking plates/placards and walk 4 miles a day around the development for exercise. sometimes i even see them in the clubhouse gym and park in a handicapped spot!!! i am sure its not just limited to my parents community and there is a tremendous amount of abuse just like most government programs.

I always chuckle at Corvettes with handicapped tags. I am perfectly mobile and have difficulty getting in and out of a low to ground car like that

My opinion....in general there are many, many people who have handicap parking privileges that deserve them, regardless of whether they look it or not. You do not have to be an amputee, stooped over or non-ambulatory and in wheel chair or scooter to qualify. As long as you have a medical condition/diagnosis per your physician and according to state guidelines, then you qualify for handicap parking privileges. My husband is one of those.

I always chuckle at Corvettes with handicapped tags. I am perfectly mobile and have difficulty getting in and out of a low to ground car like that

The tags could be for something like asthma, though, or a heart condition. My MIL has had a tag for some years now because of her heart condition. NOW she is having other problems, so anyone watching her would feel happy that they could SEE her problems, but she has had problems longer than it's been obvious to onlookers.

I think that it's a pretty big assumption on the part of onlookers to assume that holding a placard in your hand = breaking rules in some way. Sure it might have been breaking rules, but it could be misunderstanding rules, or just happening to be holding it, or they might have FOUND it and want to get it to the people in charge immediately, etc etc.

Back in 2000, a year after I bought my "New Beetle", that car was rated one of the easiest to get into and out of for those with disabilities. Even though it's low to the ground, there was something about how it was built that made it easy for many to maneuver in and out. So you just never know.

I find it's best not to concern ourselves with other people's business. You don't know the facts, and the cruise staff appear to have allowed this to happen, so does it really matter? Enjoy your vacation :)

Have to agree with this.

I wonder if the person had an invisible disability (and there are plenty of those).

Had been the victim of the type of comments (just stopped myself from saying abuse) that many here are advocating, and thought the permit may at least deflect some of it.

Just a thought.

The point isn't whether or not they had a disability but the fact they though waving a PARKING placard around would get them preferential treatment. No one is saying they didn't have a disability, but the fact they thought waving that around meant anything. It is for use in handicapped PARKING spots only. As I said above, a lot of people on some cruises have disabilities of one kind or another, but you don't see them waving blue parking placards around.

Some of you are missing the point entirely and getting defensive.

Have to agree with this.

Well if I´m standing in a line and People are bypassing and skipping the line for whatever reason it surely is my Business.

Of course you can say now, I have not stood in line here and have not seen what really happened, which is certainly true. However to me it´s more a discussion about the principel.

I wonder if the person had an invisible disability (and there are plenty of those).

Had been the victim of the type of comments (just stopped myself from saying abuse) that many here are advocating, and thought the permit may at least deflect some of it.

Just a thought.

I can only speak for myself, but to me it makes no difference if there´s a visible disability or not. To me it´s the way they acted which triggered my Responses, not the fact they had no visible disability. Had they been in a scooter or wheelchair, behaving the same way my comments would still be the same.

Meh! Yet another example of how I choose to pay attention to what is going on with me, and not everyone else.

If they went to the front of the line, and were let on... there either there was a reason for it, or the ship personell did not care. Either way, not my business/concern.

If there is any type of medical emergency, of course go to the head of the line....I for sure, and I hope no one else, would put your life in danger.

I stopped judging long ago.....but PLEASE if it is a medical emergency.....do what you need to do!!!!

Totally agree, in a medical emergency, I'm more then happy to wait, even assist someone who needs help.

There really is no rush, we'll all get back on the ship.:)

My opinion....in general there are many, many people who have handicap parking privileges that deserve them, regardless of whether they look it or not. You do not have to be an amputee, stooped over or non-ambulatory and in wheel chair or scooter to qualify. As long as you have a medical condition/diagnosis per your physician and according to state guidelines, then you qualify for handicap parking privileges. My husband is one of those.

In my opinion the opposite is also true....in general there are many, many people who have handicap parking privileges that don't meet eligibility criteria. Almost all states define severely limited mobility as "cannot walk 200 feet without rest". The vast majority of placard users I see can and do routinely walk farther than 200 feet unaided without rest. Which is unfair and detrimental to all those who truly cannot.

As far as cutting in line, unless it is truly a medical emergency there is no reason to allow it. And by medical emergency I mean something unexpected that could not reasonably be planned for. If you know or even think you will have issues with the standing time required to move through the line than it is up to YOU to plan for this by bringing along an appropriate device such as a scooter, wheelchair or rollator to sit on.

Meh! Yet another example of how I choose to pay attention to what is going on with me, and not everyone else.

If they went to the front of the line, and were let on... there either there was a reason for it, or the ship personell did not care. Either way, not my business/concern.

Totally agree!

I am amazed that so many people here actually believe it is any of their business!! Why not just pay attention to important stuff like having the best time you can? I really don't get it :confused: