No gratuity for baby passenger...

h2dcruise

I know that this is the normal way (cheaper 3rd and 4th) and it was so when we booked the same cruise last year for the first of our party rooms. But they were having some promotion last month when the interior rates were $649 per person instead of $749, and during that time third and fourth passengers were the same price.

Yes, even our TA thought it was strange but that's how it was and we needed to make the reservations.

The only time the 3/4 rate might change is an Exciting Deal but the usually don't and stay the same no matter what other special is running.

They are having a resident offer now on the Millennium Alaska cruises and the Inside 11's are $559 per person but the 3/4 person is $699. That is crazy.

So in essence yes you did pay full price or more for the 3/4 person in the cabin.

We'll be on an Alaska cruise this summer with our 18 month old. It is ridiculous enough to me that we are paying full adult fare for him while bringing almost all of his food and person hygiene products with us, so we don't intend to pay gratuities for him at the regular rate. If we are provided any above beyond services for the baby's need, we may chose to tip an appropriate amount.

Anyway, how would I go about making sure we aren't automatically charged the $12 gratuity for him?

You had to know this thread was going to turn into this. I get the most enjoyment out of reading the tipping/dress code threads than anything else.

If you can not fully fund your toddlers vacation then do not go or go and leave him at home. To not pay your gratuities in protest because you have to pay full cruise rate is very childish on your part. Toddlers are just as much work as an adult to clean up after and serve.

Are you only going to buy one drink package and share with your husband? It's the same mentality in my mind,

If you can not fully fund your toddlers vacation then do not go or go and leave him at home. To not pay your gratuities in protest because you have to pay full cruise rate is very childish on your part. Toddlers are just as much work as an adult to clean up after and serve.

Are you only going to buy one drink package and share with your husband? It's the same mentality in my mind,

On that nice note, I think I am done with this thread.

You enjoy your cruising! :)

I think it depends on promotions, two years ago we did Silhouette with,three in a room and all three were same price. Next week we are doing Bermuda and third is free, he is an adult and is actually getting drink package. Go figure.

No, sorry, not always.

rvdglc.jpg

I did a dummy booking from the UK site and for Oceanview and above you would get the usual big discount for the 3rd and 4th passengers. For interior they are £50 cheaper pp. With your special offer you could think of it as the 1st and 2nd passengers getting the discount so it's swings and roundabouts - but all four passengers aren't paying the same rate whichever way round it is.

I think what people are having an issue with is that instead of taking up with Celebrity that you feel you're paying too much for your little one, you are effectively taking it out on the hardworking staff....?

Edited by spanner14

When you go to breakfast/lunch/dinner in the MDR/buffet/specialty restaurant...are you not going to ordr anything for your child? Your toddler will be throwing food on the floor, crumbling crackers, etc. the wait staff will have more cleaning to do for him/her than any of you. but you don't feel they need the gratuity. Your toddler sleeps on sheets, baths with towels, probably also creates crumbs in the cabin. produces more trash than the adults...But because he is a toddler, they don't deserve the gratuity, even though they are providing the same service for him as you?

On land, do you go to a restaurant and order mac & cheese or chicken nuggets for him, but subtract the cost of his meal from the check before you add tip because he is a toddler? I'm surprised you can sleep at night. EM

I think what people are having an issue with is that instead of taking up with Celebrity that you feel you're paying too much for your little one, you are effectively taking it out on the hardworking staff....?

I have already stated that it's mainly about my feeling that a child that age doesn't need to pay gratuities because what little he/she consumes in terms of food, entertainment, etc. I don't go to a restaurant with the baby who consumes cheerios with brought with us and tip for him... we tip on the total bill for what the adults consumed. There are two adults, who take care of the baby in the stateroom paying the gratuity. The fact that we are paying a full fare for him only strengthens my decision.

As someone mentioned, I wasn't looking for all your moral support of my decision. I just had a technical question about modifying auto tip charges.

Good day!

I have already stated that it's mainly about my feeling that a child that age doesn't need to pay gratuities because what little he/she consumes in terms of food, entertainment, etc. I don't go to a restaurant with the baby who consumes cheerios with brought with us and tip for him... we tip on the total bill for what the adults consumed. There are two adults, who take care of the baby in the stateroom paying the gratuity. The fact that we are paying a full fare for him only strengthens my decision.

As someone mentioned, I wasn't looking for all your moral support of my decision. I just had a technical question about modifying auto tip charges.

Good day!

Just to answer you technical question, not sure they will allow you to remove only one person's tips but will make you do all three in the cabin.

Good day!

Your logic makes sense if gratuties were based on a consumption formula. Your logic would suggest that an adult who consumers small amounts of food and goes to bed early and keeps their cabin neat, or just doesn't want service should pay less in gratuties. I know some who fit that description. Unfortunately gratuities on ships are not based on consumption.

The gratuity amounts deducted or charged represent what you are expected to pay. Some feel that they would like to increase the amount, some keep it as is. A very, very few lower the amount. Your money, your ethical and moral standards, your choice.

Just to answer you technical question, not sure they will allow you to remove only one person's tips but will make you do all three in the cabin.

Sure, and then when can I will tell them to charge me the recommended amount for the two adults and whatever I feel like paying (if I do at all) for the baby?

I never understood the mentality of not paying gratuity for children. Having raised 2 children ourselves we know what a pain in the @$$ it was just to take them to restaurants at home. Half the food is on the floor the other half down the bib or on the high chair tray. It was much easier to travel with them between the age of 4 and 10. The teen years weren't much better although they could manage to keep the food on the plate or in their mouth there were other issues of keeping the room clean. My wife would wake up earlier enough so she had time to pickup the cloths and clear the counter tops before the room steward would come to make up the room. We tipped that poor man extra. While I understand that people get upset about paying full price for children I think it's worse for those who cruise as a single. They are paying double the price and only getting service for one. I know I will get flamed but I'm glad Celebrity charges full price for kids. I prefer a ship with an adult atmosphere. There are other family friendly lines that are more accommodating. I would be reluctant to take my 19 and 22 yr old on Celebrity.

Good day!

I believe your thinking is faulty for a mainstream cruise, even if it's the standard on land. I have no problem with someone wanting to cruise on a budget, but by choosing Celebrity, you are also choosing a line where there are a number of costs that aren't covered by your cruise fare that you must budget for. Tips for each and every person in a cabin -- regardless of age, are one of those costs.

If you didn't like the policies or the way the cruise was priced, then you should have chosen differently at the outset. Instead, you've opted to express your displeasure by reducing the income of the people who will clean up your toddler's messes and make sure all of you have a fantastic vacation. It isn't the fault of the room stewards and the wait staff that you didn't like the way the cruise was priced for your toddler, but they're the ones who will suffer the consequences.

I think this thread has remained quite civil. You had to know that by asking your question to people who are, for the most part, diehard cruise fanatics who appreciate the hard-working staff, you were going to get a lot of negative feedback. I hope when you're on the ship you're blown away by the service and change your mind.

Sure, and then when can I will tell them to charge me the recommended amount for the two adults and whatever I feel like paying (if I do at all) for the baby?

What I'm saying is I don't believe they will allow you to take the tips off for only one person, I think in your case you would be relegated to giving cash at the end of the cruise for all the tips. I could be wrong but I think that is how it will work. I would be prepared for that to occur.

Not making any judgements on tipping....

Edited by dkjretired

Of course if they have select dining ....

Said that they are in Traditional since they are part of a 16 member group. Said that they expect to be seated at two tables. These tables would probably share the same wait staff. Of course their group with at least one toddler wouldn't cause extra work for the servers.

I haven't felt that way in this thread at all...

h2dcruise - I am one who posted a pretty snarky comment earlier - I did apologise to you in a subsequent post but I am not sure if you saw it since the mods deleted several posts including my original one and the one with the apology - so anyway there you go.

however you did not just come here and post a question - you also posted quite strongly your rationale as to why you were going to remove the tips. Posting your opinion invites others to post their opinions - most of us disagree with you.

I do hope you and your family enjoy your cruise, and maybe you can come back and let us know if you still feel the same way after the cruise is over.

I know that this is the normal way (cheaper 3rd and 4th) and it was so when we booked the same cruise last year for the first of our party rooms. But they were having some promotion last month when the interior rates were $649 per person instead of $749, and during that time third and fourth passengers were the same price.

And again, the rates for two separate interior rooms with taxes was coming out less than one interior room with four people.

Yes, even our TA thought it was strange but that's how it was and we needed to make the reservations.

The same thing happened to us on Princess one year only they were charging more for the 3rd and 4th person than they were for the 1st and second passenger in the room. We just booked the extra room to get the lower rate.

I TRIED to tell them that this would not end well - they didn't listen. :p They say this doesn't go against their morals but I'd say this is an ethical issue not moral. I was raised to follow the rules even when it was on the honor system .....

Edited by Jane2357