Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

Hi Scubacruisex2

Wanted to take the opportunity to wish Pat all the best with her knee. BTW where I come from you don't want to be alone on the metro. I loved STP.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Strangely enough, I have travelled the metro in NYC alone and while cautious was not scared. I believe it has been cleaned up considerably since the filming of 'The Warriors' and such. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Warriors_(film)

I noticed that the ships were still in the river .

IMG_8271_zpstbez4hsy.jpg

But the submarine looked like it was blowing bubbles and moving , so I hustled down to take a video before it moved .

But it didn't .

I don't recall ever seeing the streets so deserted

IMG_8286_zpswxhvljbw.jpg

Across the street from the river you can see from left to right , St. Isaac's Cathedral , two yellow buildings , the Senate and the Synod , connected by an arch , and the Bronze Horseman .

IMG_830020Stitch20st.20isaacs-001_zpsra36ggah.jpg

Saint Isaac's Cathedral ( more later )

IMG_8274_zpsayoosvfq.jpg

The Bronze Horseman

IMG_8311_zpsruwlragp.jpg

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/monuments/bronze-horseman/

The story of the sculptor

IMG_8342_zpstrj7xe4e.jpg

Thanks Denise . The SPB Metro was the first one that we rode , followed , by the tube , the U-bahn in Munich and the Metro in Moscow . While we never felt at risk , perhaps ignorance is bliss ? We're happy that you liked SPB , but we realize that it's not for everyone .

The surgeon was not satisfied with the oral antibiotics progress , so Pat was admitted to the hospital today for a round of stronger IV antibiotics . We're looking for a Monday surgery date if things go as planned . ;) I hope to post some photos and then head back to the hospital to tuck her in for the night . :)

How frustrating. Wishing pat luck with this round of antibiotics and the subsequent surgery. :D

Thanks Denise . The SPB Metro was the first one that we rode , followed , by the tube , the U-bahn in Munich and the Metro in Moscow . While we never felt at risk , perhaps ignorance is bliss ? We're happy that you liked SPB , but we realize that it's not for everyone .

The surgeon was not satisfied with the oral antibiotics progress , so Pat was admitted to the hospital today for a round of stronger IV antibiotics . We're looking for a Monday surgery date if things go as planned . ;) I hope to post some photos and then head back to the hospital to tuck her in for the night . :)

I'm sorry to hear that Pat is still fighting the infection, but I am really glad her DR is making sure it is all cleared up before proceeding with the surgery. Hopefully once the infection is gone, the surgery will go smoothly. I will continue to be sending thoughts and prayers your way for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

I was surprised to see the English translations on the sign where the boat tours started. I'm wondering how many other signs like that one you may have seen. I loved the submarine in the river.

I was surprised to see the English translations on the sign where the boat tours started. I'm wondering how many other signs like that one you may have seen. I loved the submarine in the river.

We were in St Pete 2 weeks ago.

Our SPB tour guide told us that signs were starting to be put in English now, as they realised that a great deal of their income came from tourism. It is the guides themselves who have pushed for it, St Pete has taken it on board, Moscow less so. One of the guides teaches English during the winter months( Oct- April)

Our SPB tour guide told us that signs were starting to be put in English now, as they realised that a great deal of their income came from tourism. It is the guides themselves who have pushed for it, St Pete has taken it on board, Moscow less so. One of the guides teaches English during the winter months( Oct- April)

We too have noticed during the course of our visits , an increase in English spoken and on signage , making it more easy for independent travelers . With it's harbor on the Gulf of Finland , SPB is much more accessible to cruise ships ( and ferries ) than Moscow . Peter the Great had a vision of a window to the West ( Europe ) importing many great architects , builders and artists to build his city , thus keeping it more European . But Moscow has always retained it's Russian idenity and character , and is more resistant to change . It's a bit like comparing the Hermitage , with it's collection of European and world art , to the Russian Museum and it's works by Russian artists . :) :D

The buildings behind the statue of Peter the Great are the Senate and the Synod .

Europe09034-Copy.jpg

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/buildings/senate-and-synod-building/

The S & S , are two separate buildings joined together by arch at the center . At the time of construction , they housed the church ( Russian Orthodox ) and the government . I loved the stark contrast of this photo of the statues on top of the arch , symbolizing Virtue ( the church ) and Justice ( the state ) .

IMG_8323_zpsewuzvxhs.jpg

Turning now to St. Isaac's Cathedral . It's the 4 th largest cathedral in the world , and it took 40 years to complete , and it can hold 14,000 worshipers ! .

IMG_8344_zpsveh1l9kt.jpg

Detail

IMG_8352_zpsouyvcozz.jpg

We will discuss the Cathedral later in detail when we take an inside visit , but for now , just an overview .

IMG_8364_zpsvzsi6uzt.jpg

IMG_8354_zpsl5yhlekp.jpg

In St. Isaac's Square is a statue of Tsar Nicholas I , overlooking the cathedral

IMG_8379_zpseqsrnrge.jpg

The Blue Bridge at 319' , is considered by some to be the widest bridge in the world .

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/virtual-tour/blue-bridge/

IMG_8391_zpsdcnvuxlz.jpg

Some reflections on the river Moika

IMG_8406_zpspo8usjxa.jpg

IMG_8404_zpsfhfprfjc.jpg

IMG_8398_zpsyegw3ijh.jpg

After I rejoined Pat at the apartment we were scheduled to meet some American friends , later that morning . :)

... Turning now to St. Isaac's Cathedral . It's the 4 th largest cathedral in the world , and it took 40 years to complete , and it can hold 14,000 worshipers ! ...

What are #1-3?

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, Jackie. I did look back at some of Joe's other pictures that included signs, and did notice the English translations on them as well. I know if I went to St Pete, I would definitely find it helpful.

Joe, I hope those antibiotics are clearing up Pat's infection. I'm sure you both want to be on the recovery side of this surgery instead of waiting for it to happen.

Joe, I hope those antibiotics are clearing up Pat's infection. I'm sure you both want to be on the recovery side of this surgery instead of waiting for it to happen.

Thank you Nancy , we appreciate your concern . I will post all future updates on Pat's condition on our other thread to avoid any conflict of interest with this thread . The other thread has our most views with about 137,000 , and is similar to this one , but it's deals with " Cruising the Caribbean on the Caribbean Princess " .

A link to the other thread : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094420

What a difference a blue sky makes to photos, we had as our guide put it,'Fifty Shades of Grey.'

BTW The capacity of St Iaacs church is so great because no one sits to worship in the Russian Orthodox Church.

It surely does ! It's why we like the Spring ( fewer crowds too ) . Thanks for the info on the ROC . We did attend a church service at this cute little church , Chesma .

IMG_8093-001_zpsbfbcf557.jpg

The people were standing and I didn't want to disturb the service with a loud click from the camera's shutter , so I shot this video clip .

A beautiful service that reminded me of the Latin mass from our childhood . Ladies must wear a head covering in the ROC .

It surely does ! It's why we like the Spring ( fewer crowds too ) . Thanks for the info on the ROC . We did attend a church service at this cute little church , Chesma

The people were standing and I didn't want to disturb the service with a loud click from the camera's shutter.

A beautiful service that reminded me of the Latin mass from our childhood . Ladies must wear a head covering in the ROC .

Same as us in Helsinki, the day after our S Pete visits.