Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

Thanks for your so many beautiful pictures of Russian churches. I am praying that your spouse is doing and feeling much better.

Thanks a lot , we really do appreciate that ! We think that the Russian churches are the nicest that we've seen , but we haven't been to Italy yet . :) :D

Thanks a lot , we really do appreciate that ! We think that the Russian churches are the nicest that we've seen , but we haven't been to Italy yet . :) :D

Joe,

I am continuing to enjoy your review AND the photos. I hope Pat's surgery can take place early next week and wish for her a speedy recovery.

As for churches . . . The Sistine Chapel is indeed amazing; St. Peter's was closed the day we were there, because the Pope was having an audience in the Square which was amazing! We'll be checking out St. Mark's in Venice 2 weeks from today

If you are ever in Quebec City, you should visit St. Anne de Beaupre'. It is spectacular!

Joe,

I am continuing to enjoy your review AND the photos. I hope Pat's surgery can take place early next week and wish for her a speedy recovery.

As for churches . . . The Sistine Chapel is indeed amazing; St. Peter's was closed the day we were there, because the Pope was having an audience in the Square which was amazing! We'll be checking out St. Mark's in Venice 2 weeks from today

If you are ever in Quebec City, you should visit St. Anne de Beaupre'. It is spectacular!

Thanks Jennifer for the sentiment and tips on the churches . Have a great trip on the Connie - it sounds fantastic ! :) :D

Back at the apartment , Pat's ear had gotten worse overnight and we were concerned that we might be contagious , so we rescheduled with our friends and made an appointment for Pat with a doctor in St. Petersburg . Our plan was to get her better before Moscow the following week and go for a fun ride on a helicopter .

IMG_8428_zpsp7d84zcw.jpg

Pat had never flown on one until 2001 when we visited Hawaii . Flying on a tour is fun , but working on one is a different story .

e94b9931-fd14-4d4f-bb89-18c847ce2702_zps4vhzrkxv.jpg

They do have a great Air Rescue department where I used to work and they have saved many lives since it's inception in 1985 . But we were out for fun and photography in SPB . The Mil 8 helicopter there is configured for passenger use by Baltic Air , and offers flight on holidays and the weekends .

Europe09361-001_zpsba08a07b.jpg

They fly from the Peter and Paul Fortress and you will need a passport . Sunday there was a family day with continued , fantastic weather .

IMG_8433_zps9mzg7wsp.jpg

There were a number of WW II vintage vehicles , and people dressed in period uniforms - including kids !

IMG_8436_zpskhdwcnkm.jpg

IMG_8438_zpsbbnsdsvq.jpg

They teach them young.

Yes they do . Visiting St. Petersburg strangely reminded me of my childhood . My father dressed us in a military uniform at about the same age , a football uniform and a firefighter's uniform also . And guess what ? I played football in High School , served in the Navy and then had a career in the fire service ! So be careful of how you dress your kids , because they may never grow up ! :rolleyes:

Only a minority of the kids had uniforms , and it was a opportunity for photography . I'm reluctant to take photos of other people's children but children do present some of the best chances for candid and action shots . :) :D

After passing through the military area there was a stage playing infectious pop music with people dancing and having fun .

MVI_8442-001_zpsgz5yq5bc.jpg

But the setting and mood is much better conveyed through these video clips :

We have our goal in sight

IMG_8453_zps5fk6q0xd.jpg

IMG_8448_zps4xmcvipw.jpg

IMG_8457_zpsxoqp3thv.jpg

The helicopter draws people like a magnet

IMG_8510_zpsxqcg1nad.jpg

Here's one of those action shots . The little girl in the red was running around and sliding , and the camera speed froze one of those slides in action .

IMG_8504_zpsn66s74k6.jpg

You can't ignore the engine start up of the helicopter . It still gives me goosebumps every time I hear ( and feel ) it !

The view from the helicopter:

The Smolny Institute is the yellow building . It is the governor's office and was the headquarters during the Bolshevik Revolution .

IMG_8486_zpsg434n7km.jpg

The Field of Mars and the Church on Spilled Blood

IMG_8491_zpsjs4ayfy8.jpg

The blue church is the Smolny Cathedral

IMG_8484_zpskqevsria.jpg

The Smolny Institute from the ground

7f87981e-107d-4e55-8295-b4a075f347bf_zps7nlbkjmo.jpg

The Smolny Cathedral from the ground

258e5bd9-f7de-4760-95ef-7aaf44cc8870_zpsyrmuwwic.jpg

A couple of video clips from the helicopter flight :

I loved seeing the helicopter shots and video. I have never flown in one. Hopefully, we will find the budget one of these days, but it will have to be somewhere pretty spectacular. I'm hoping to get DH to agree to Alaska or maybe Hawaii soon. I think either of those destinations would merit a helicopter flight.

I loved seeing the helicopter shots and video. I have never flown in one. Hopefully, we will find the budget one of these days, but it will have to be somewhere pretty spectacular. I'm hoping to get DH to agree to Alaska or maybe Hawaii soon. I think either of those destinations would merit a helicopter flight.

Agreed , BOTH of those places are spectacular and would merit a helicopter flight ! Unfortunately , they are both expensive !! But we still think that it's worth it . The flight is exhilarating , but the ability to cover lots of ground and access inaccessible areas it it's greatest asset . Flying within feet of a vertical waterfall that falls hundreds of feet or thru the Waimea Grand Canyon or past the Na Pali coastline is something that needs to be experienced and not just seen ! But you can see it with videos like this one :

My DW is scheduled for reconstructive knee surgery this afternoon . If you pray , please keep us in your prayers . ;) Joe and Pat

fa26eb49-aede-44ea-af52-c7c7191efec5_zpszwn0jzau.jpg

Will do, Joe.

Know that people all over the country (maybe the world) are thinking of both of you today and praying for a successful surgery and an easy, speedy recovery.

I've been following this trip report, and just wanted to say that you and Pat are in my thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Joe, take care of her first and don't worry about working on this report - I'm sure everyone will understand!!

Trish