Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

Thank you every one ! The surgery was completed successfully , and Pat's in recovery !! :) :D

I'm very glad to hear Pat's surgery has been completed successfully! Hope her recovery goes well.

Joe, take your time here. We will be waiting when you are able to get back. I know you will take good care of Pat during her recovery.

Edited by perfect match

Excellent news, let us hope for a speedy full recovery and you two can get in the water or on a ship sooner rather than later.:D

In case no one has told Pat, gentle water exercise is easier as its non weight bearing, so more effective- from someone who has experience!

I'm very glad to hear Pat's surgery has been completed successfully! Hope her recovery goes well.

Joe, take your time here. We will be waiting when you are able to get back. I know you will take good care of Pat during her recovery.

Thanks Nancy we will go slow . The Dr. wants 2 weeks of bed rest and healing at this point . I suspect pain management will be very important because it's starting over again , almost like a new injury . Infection is also a problem and requires a PICC line for 2 weeks of further IV antibiotic therapy at home . So we're not out of the woods yet , it's still a way to go . But Pat , and Pat's health is much more important than any cruise ! ;)

In case no one has told Pat, gentle water exercise is easier as its non weight bearing, so more effective- from someone who has experience!

Thanks Jackie , we appreciate that and look forward to being able to do that , hopefully soon . Meanwhile , my therapy will be finishing this protracted shore excursion !! . :o

After our ride on the helicopter we went for a walk . We saw this sign everywhere .

IMG_8546_zpskmazkibg.jpg

Everyone was enjoying the nice weather and a quite Sunday ( no cruise ships in port ) .

IMG_8547_zpso8octwrd.jpg

The spire of the Peter and Paul Cathedral is the tallest building in the center of St. Petersburg . This church dates back to 1733 and the remains of Peter the Great , Catherine the Great and many of the Tsars and their families are buried here .

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/cathedrals/Peter-Paul-Cathedral.asp

IMG_8544_zpsejduoywe.jpg

The Artillery Museum was open and free , so we took a look

Europe09372.jpg

On the weekend celebrating the end of the war , people found some good uses for the now silent cannon .

A climbing apparatus for kids

Europe09374.jpg

And a seat for people with tired feet

IMG_8563-001_zpsfkg5tk6s.jpg

Reliving our tour in St Pete's is great. We didn't have time to go into the museum but we saw all the tanks and guns outside. I wish I had had the time but now have a reason to go back.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I needed a cheap laugh today and I found one on the Photo and camera discussion thread . OK it's a commercial - but it made me laugh ! :D

HA HA!!! I saw all those sticks all over Paris when we were there......glad you got a laugh, am sure it's been stressful watching Pat go through all this....

Thank you for your concern and prayer :) And I'll follow your advice ;) Hopefully , homecoming tomorrow !

Hope she can come home too......that's the best medicine!!! ( and a drink or two won't hurt either!!)

Thanks Nancy we will go slow . The Dr. wants 2 weeks of bed rest and healing at this point . I suspect pain management will be very important because it's starting over again , almost like a new injury . Infection is also a problem and requires a PICC line for 2 weeks of further IV antibiotic therapy at home . So we're not out of the woods yet , it's still a way to go . But Pat , and Pat's health is much more important than any cruise ! ;)

Joe, Pat, together you two make quite the impressive team! It does sound like Pat will have quite the extensive recovery process, but I'm sure you will get through that process with flying colors! Pat, you will be back on your feet, healthy, and ready to go wherever you want in no time at all.

Reliving our tour in St Pete's is great. We didn't have time to go into the museum but we saw all the tanks and guns outside. I wish I had had the time but now have a reason to go back.:D

We enjoy reliving our tour also and this is a way for us to do it . Time management , traffic and the crowds are major concerns when visiting SPB . After our 2 day visit there on our Baltic cruise , we felt like we had missed a lot and would have rearranged our tour if we had it to do over . Staying there gave us a do over with more time to return to some favorite places and to visit new ones . And in May there were fewer crowds at the tourist attractions and better weather than our previous visit in September . :) :D

HA HA!!! I saw all those sticks all over Paris when we were there......glad you got a laugh, am sure it's been stressful watching Pat go through all this....

We didn't see many in Russia where people ask other people to take their photos . Mostly tourists use them and so it makes them stick out in the crowd . :) In St. Isaac's Cathedral , most of the people look up to see the beautiful paintings on the ceiling , but with a stick , I guess that you see things differently !

IMG_5519_zpshwquhzka.jpg

The funniest selfie that we saw on the trip was at Windsor Palace . We watched as totally self absorbed young lady was holding her telephone at arms length and spinning like a top with her at the center of the universe , and everyone and everything rotating around her ! . All of the still photos that she took were selfies also . We thought that I took a video of her , but I can't seem to find it .

Hope she can come home too......that's the best medicine!!! ( and a drink or two won't hurt either!!)

Maybe at the end of the day , but there's lots of work to do in the meantime . The Dr. said it take 8 weeks for the bone to heal , and Pat will be coming home with a walker , so there's a lot of changes coming . ;)

Joe & Pat :) :D

In St. Petersburg on the Monday after the holiday weekend , I wanted to go to the suburbs and take some Metro photos . Pat wanted to sleep in , so I would be on my own . I would be riding the oldest Metro line , the red line . In the station I saw a map that showed some future stations --- the dotted lines .

IMG_8605_zpskpr7eqlx.jpg

The Red line dates back to the 50's and has the most ornate stations . This was my first time seeing Balticskaya .

IMG_8616_zpsrgbzh6zf.jpg

It glorifies the 1917 revolution

ae8e8997-7a51-4b43-8b2f-b279d5126b47_zpslwi7b8uy.jpg

The next station is Narvaskaya with it's soviet realism statues .

IMG_8619_zpsmq9zs3uk.jpg

IMG_8622_zpsib4pz0n4.jpg

IMG_8634_zpsycjovm3y.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

I am finally catching back up here.

First off, I hope for a speedy recovery for Pat. What an awful accident!

I am just loving all the pictures and the history lesson about Russia. It really is a beautiful place. I think going there would make me nervous...I would need a 24/7 guide! ;)

You got some amazing pictures and have seen so many amazing sights.

Are there any computer experts out there ? While editing some photos this morning with Picasa ( google ) , I received a warning : This computer has low disk space . Without losing photo work , how can I best free up sufficient disk space to continue editing ? :confused:

I am way late to this, but Norris pretty much gave you the same info I was going to give you. When I upload pics to my computer I then burn a DVD with them as a back up. Then I go in and edit. I make a folder for the edits and when that is full and I am done, I burn another DVD with the edits. I then delete them off the computer, but the ones I really want to have a 2nd back up for I put on an external hard drive...hoping between to the 2 methods I have something saved. I also print out my favorites and put them in photo albums. I need to get less favorites as I have way too many albums now.

I use my desktop for photo editing and work so I really need to keep it running fairly well. I am going to buy another external hard drive for client files I think. Just in case and also to clear out some who I haven't worked with for a while but still want to keep their info on hand.

Also at Narvaskaya was this decoration panel . It's really a very thick bomb blast door which will slide across if needed , making it a bomb shelter .

IMG_7344-002_zpsm5hyqrl7.jpg

The next stop is Kirovskaya Zavod

IMG_8648_zpsd6l7re7q.jpg

At the end of the station is this bust of V.I. Lenin

IMG_8639_zpsrnubjdbe.jpg

IMG_8655_zpsktexsacg.jpg

More people were riding the Metro now , so I decided to ride in the sleeper car ! ;)

IMG_8686_zps720bjlws.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2