Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

Thanks for the link, I realise that we must have seen the church from our mooring on the English Bank, when we visited St Pete in 2002.

Even though we had been before, we visited different places this time.

Last time we only had an outside city tour and many of the buildings were covered, as they were being renovated for the Tri Centenial celebrations in Spring of 2003.

This time, we saw some amazing sights and even though the weather was poor ( The Green Winter, or as the guides prefer ' Fifty Shades of Grey.')

Thanks for the link, I realise that we must have seen the church from our mooring on the English Bank, when we visited St Pete in 2002.

Even though we had been before, we visited different places this time.

Last time we only had an outside city tour and many of the buildings were covered, as they were being renovated for the Tri Centenial celebrations in Spring of 2003.

This time, we saw some amazing sights and even though the weather was poor ( The Green Winter, or as the guides prefer ' Fifty Shades of Grey.')

With so much to see and do in SPB , it's impossible to properly do in only 2 days ! That prompted a stay for us . We also like the feeling of walking around on our own , at our own pace . We have never heard that expression ( the green winter ) before . But we did hear another one on our first visit to Moscow . It was windy , rainy and cold in September when we met our guide at the train station . After greeting us she lamented " Moscow weather , 9 months of anticipation and 3 months of disappointment " . :rolleyes: We later , on this trip , returned to Moscow to meet some other friends and to try the weather again . ;)

The people of St. Petersburg were in a festive mood and some were enjoying boat rides on the canal where our apartment was located , in this clip :

And we were too , as we left for our friend's apartment . We had been introduced to Yuri and Nellie by DenRus when we selected a Have dinner with a Russian family , option . At that first dinner , we met as strangers and left as friends , and it seems that we have much more in common , than differences . We've been to their apartment several times , and felt confident going there . As we tried to enter the metro , we found that our card would't work . Once again our language barrier became apparent as we tried to explain our demise to the cashier . A young lady with her parents stepped forward and told us that she could help . We thanked her and her parents profusely in both English and Russian . After exiting the proper metro station , we got turned around and wound up being late . However , our friends warmly received us and introduced us to a new friend . She's an actress in the local theatre , whose husband was recently deceased .

I don't know if it's true , and perhaps someone else can share their experience , but we have heard that visiting a local ranks very high on the hospitality list . And that's been the case every time we go to dinner at Nellie's kitchen . It's a bit like going to the Chef's Table on a Russian cruise ship . It is the best Russian food that we have had , in Russia !

IMG_8050_zpslclumbp7.jpg

There's eating , drinking and laughing - and we also discuss politics and religion sometimes , with a mutual respect .

IMG_8052-001_zpsgvitooxt.jpg

As the vodka in the bottle disappeared , Yuri suggest that we go see the fireworks near the river . Oh no , another crowd ! :eek:

IMG_8077_zpslsodjjwk.jpg

But it's so much nicer - going with friends !!! :) :D

I have been lucky enough to never have had weather ruin a holiday although it has often not been what I would have preferred.:D

Us too , we usually embrace the weather as a challenge . I think that it bothers the guides more than us , as they want to show their side and further encourage tourism . But an accident - that's another story ! :eek:

Us too , we usually embrace the weather as a challenge . I think that it bothers the guides more than us , as they want to show their side and further encourage tourism . But an accident - that's another story ! :eek:

Yes, no need to remind us how quickly plans can be thrown out due to our health, etc.:(

Hope the surgery goes well for Pat.:D

Yes, no need to remind us how quickly plans can be thrown out due to our health, etc.:(

Hope the surgery goes well for Pat.:D

Thanks Mic , sorry we're becoming increasing frustrated at this point . They cancelled surgery this morning as infection as set in . :( Antibiotics , and see the Dr. tomorrow morning . If it looks OK , she'll be the third surgery of the afternoon tomorrow .

IMG_8083_zpsmc1yaqrl.jpg

IMG_8084-001_zpstsuhsijw.jpg

A small video clip , almost like being there :

After returning to their apartment for dessert , we agreed to meet again another day as it was very late , and almost time for the metro to close .

IMG_8089_zpscnst7j05.jpg

The day had a great finish , and we almost had the metro to ourselves .

IMG_8088_zpso5e5tya9.jpg

And with no cruise ships in port the next day , we had something fun planned . :) :D

Thanks Mic , sorry we're becoming increasing frustrated at this point . They cancelled surgery this morning as infection as set in . :( Antibiotics , and see the Dr. tomorrow morning . If it looks OK , she'll be the third surgery of the afternoon tomorrow .

Please wish Pat luck from me too....hope the antibiotics work and she gets through the surgery tomorrow.

Yes, I am sure it will get sorted soon, just hope they can manage the pain for her until they do.:D

That's been pretty good until the Dr. insert a large bore needle in her knee joint to remove a large hematoma yesterday ! I'm used to preforming medical procedures on others , but not seeing it on my wife ! :eek: :(

Observation. To the OP. IT seen like that Russian males & females do not wear white basketball/tennis shoes in public.

An astute observation ! They do sometimes , mostly when exercising . We dress to blend in , walking shoes for both , dress shoes for men and the ladies LOVE heels ! :) :D

Sunday morning , the day after Victory Day , I took the camera for a walk along our canal . The light was amazing ! First stop , the Bank Bridge , is a pedestrian bridge with griffins holding the the cables in their mouths .

IMG_8101_zps6knbz6xz.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_Bridge

Next stop , Nevsky Prospect and the Kazan Cathedral

IMG_8108_zpsb4ckird1.jpg

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/virtual-tour/nevsky-prospect/

In the distance was the iconic Church of our Savior on the Spilled Blood ! There were still VD decorations crossing the canal .

IMG_8116_zpssdvc8gl5.jpg

If you seen only 1 photo of St. Petersburg , this church is probably it .

IMG_8126_zpseiajjlws.jpg

IMG_8135_zpsv1ljj9l6.jpg

IMG_8143-001_zpso230wybu.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

That's been pretty good until the Dr. insert a large bore needle in her knee joint to remove a large hematoma yesterday ! I'm used to preforming medical procedures on others , but not seeing it on my wife ! :eek: :(

:eek:

I hope the antibiotics are working and the surgery is quick and effective!

Oh,no! I hope Pat's antibiotics have been working well so she will be ready for surgery in the morning. I give you a lot of credit for being able to watch the hematoma removal proceedure. I could watch it being done to someone else, but I'm not sure I could watch something like that being done to my husband.

The last church pictured was spectacular! If I ever get to St Petersburg, I will be sure to see it. I think I'd want to skip the crowds at the military parade, though. :eek: It looked like you had a great time with your Russian friends. :D

Oh,no! I hope Pat's antibiotics have been working well so she will be ready for surgery in the morning. I give you a lot of credit for being able to watch the hematoma removal proceedure. I could watch it being done to someone else, but I'm not sure I could watch something like that being done to my husband.

:D

I agree, I get a bit squeamish when these type of things are done to my wife or son but am fine with doing things to other people or having them done to me.

A few more photos of the church exterior

IMG_8154_zps5zafiu2t.jpg

IMG_8171_zpsrlznikvq.jpg

The water in the canal is brown , but the reflection of the sky makes it look blue

IMG_8181_zps2asu6jzm.jpg

At Palace Square , the stages were being torn down

IMG_8219_zpsrkpyjxcf.jpg

The building with the tall spire is the Admiralty

IMG_8209_zpsgg9dakzb.jpg

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/virtual-tour/admiralty/

On the river in front of the Admiralty is where many boat tours originate , including the hydrofoil to Peterhof .

IMG_8252_zpslbnso2j9.jpg

Hi Scubacruisex2

Wanted to take the opportunity to wish Pat all the best with her knee. BTW where I come from you don't want to be alone on the metro. I loved STP.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi Scubacruisex2

Wanted to take the opportunity to wish Pat all the best with her knee. BTW where I come from you don't want to be alone on the metro. I loved STP.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks Denise . The SPB Metro was the first one that we rode , followed , by the tube , the U-bahn in Munich and the Metro in Moscow . While we never felt at risk , perhaps ignorance is bliss ? We're happy that you liked SPB , but we realize that it's not for everyone .

The surgeon was not satisfied with the oral antibiotics progress , so Pat was admitted to the hospital today for a round of stronger IV antibiotics . We're looking for a Monday surgery date if things go as planned . ;) I hope to post some photos and then head back to the hospital to tuck her in for the night . :)

Thanks Denise . The SPB Metro was the first one that we rode , followed , by the tube , the U-bahn in Munich and the Metro in Moscow . While we never felt at risk , perhaps ignorance is bliss ? We're happy that you liked SPB , but we realize that it's not for everyone .

The surgeon was not satisfied with the oral antibiotics progress , so Pat was admitted to the hospital today for a round of stronger IV antibiotics . We're looking for a Monday surgery date if things go as planned . ;) I hope to post some photos and then head back to the hospital to tuck her in for the night . :)

Joe, I'm so sorry Pat is going through all this...hopefully the IV antibiotics will do the trick and she can start mending quickly after surgery. Fingers, toes and every thing else crossed that it all goes well for her.