First Day/Night Freebies Onboard?

Chunder Worthy

I read somewhere* that ships often offer some types of freebies or at least discounted items (e.g., beverage packages or specialty restaurants - perhaps waiving the fee...?).

If there is any credence to this, is there somewhere I should go or some info I can find online or as I board the ship to ensure I know about any such deals and how to effectively snag them?

*well, OK, on the "First Time Cruisers" subforum, but I didn't want to admit (w/only 1 cruise under my belt) that I still feel a need to peruse over there.

If you are in a full suite you will get dinner comped the first night at one of the specialty restaurants as well as a small bottle of champagne when you board. Nothing else is free..

Well, we'll be in a standard balcony room that looks pretty, uh, "sweet"... Maybe some Planters' nuts will be on the house. ;) Hmm, I wonder what deals or discounts the other cruisers on the board were talking about... Oh well. Never hurts to ask, huh?

Nothing wrong with reading the first timers board, some of the answers they get can be very informative

That having been said, I haven't seen any "specials" onboard outside of the spa and even then, they're not really that special. ;)

Nothing wrong with reading the first timers board, some of the answers they get can be very informative

That having been said, I haven't seen any "specials" onboard outside of the spa and even then, they're not really that special. ;)

Okie-dokie, sounds typical -- thanks for your input!

IIRC, if you buy an internet package the first day of two, they throw in some extra minutes. If you buy the Ultimate Soda package the first day, you get a cheap tumbler for free.

More detail on what they got for free would help. The First Time Cruisers forum applies to all cruise lines. Some of the posts may describe stuff (ship on a stick?) you get on other cruise lines.

There is 10% off in the Princess onboard boutiques for the barding day and the second day of the cruise....isn't there?

On Celebrity we were offered 2 for 1 specialty dining on the LAST evening of the cruise. Likely a slow night when everyone else is packing but we were staying on for the next cruise so it worked or us. 2 for 1 definitely got our attention when we had never even considered doing specialty dining before. I keep wishing Princess would offer something like that occasionally.

Terry

Well, we'll be in a standard balcony room that looks pretty, uh, "sweet"... Maybe some Planters' nuts will be on the house. ;) Hmm, I wonder what deals or discounts the other cruisers on the board were talking about... Oh well. Never hurts to ask, huh?

Peanuts will be probably $8

Discounts at the spa first day

Every item in the mini-bar is accounted for. If you decide to drink the beverages, your on board account will be charged. To save yourself the temptations, take them out of the refrigerator and stash them behind the television. Then bring your own sodas and water with you. Ice is free.

*well, OK, on the "First Time Cruisers" subforum, but I didn't want to admit (w/only 1 cruise under my belt) that I still feel a need to peruse over there.

:)

Dave Pierce, a member for over 12 years and a member of the 5000 club said:

"We are new to cruising because cruising never gets old"

If you are in a full suite you will get dinner comped the first night at one of the specialty restaurants as well as a small bottle of champagne when you board. Nothing else is free..

Mini-suite folk get one glass of champagne on embarkation day.

Just remembered the card you get in your stateroom that you take to various departments to get stamped, and then you enter the card into a drawing for free stuff. DW actually won some SPA treatment once.

People seem to enjoy doing this and it's a good way to familiarize yourself with where things are located on the ship. :)

LuLu

Proper Champagne - ie from France, or the usual Princess 'Sparkling' which is cheap and tastes awful???

It's the cheap awful tasting stuff! :p

Pour it down your sink! If you leave it just sitting there, your cabin steward will think you may still want it and it'll sit there for days. ;)

LuLu

It's the cheap awful tasting stuff! :p

Pour it down your sink! If you leave it just sitting there, your cabin steward will think you may still want it and it'll sit there for days. ;)

LuLu

Mmmmmm, in which case a phone call to the F&B manager might be called for as it will be a case of misrepresentation!!!!

Every item in the mini-bar is accounted for. If you decide to drink the beverages, your on board account will be charged. To save yourself the temptations, take them out of the refrigerator and stash them behind the television. Then bring your own sodas and water with you. Ice is free.

I have been on 26 Princess Cruises and other than a couple of bottles of water on the desk with a tag on them I have never seen items for sale in the fridge. If you want drinks you have to call and order them from room service. They are charged to your account when delivered, not when consumed. Maybe you are thinking about other cruise lines.

Peanuts & bar mix are available in most lounges when you order drinks. Crooners also has an olive tray with drinks. On many ships, excluding Royal/Regal, sushi or tapas are available at Vines with the purchase of a drink. Fruit @ no charge is available in your cabin, just fill out the card and hang it on the door or give it to the steward. All kinds of food, snacks, desserts, cookies are available at the buffet or the International Cafe and can be brought back to your cabin. Watch the Princess Patter for the Buy On Get One (BOGO) happy hour.

There will be a coupon book in your room when you board. It is not the same that travel agents issue. In the book you will find specials for the first couple of days. For example I once saw a free travel cup if you purchased a coffee card. I have also seen store discounts of 10%.

I have been on 26 Princess Cruises and other than a couple of bottles of water on the desk with a tag on them I have never seen items for sale in the fridge. If you want drinks you have to call and order them from room service. They are charged to your account when delivered, not when consumed. Maybe you are thinking about other cruise lines.

Peanuts & bar mix are available in most lounges when you order drinks. Crooners also has an olive tray with drinks. On many ships, excluding Royal/Regal, sushi or tapas are available at Vines with the purchase of a drink. Fruit @ no charge is available in your cabin, just fill out the card and hang it on the door or give it to the steward. All kinds of food, snacks, desserts, cookies are available at the buffet or the International Cafe and can be brought back to your cabin. Watch the Princess Patter for the Buy On Get One (BOGO) happy hour.

We have always had soft drinks and bottled water for sale in our frig on 8 Princess cruises.

We have always had soft drinks and bottled water for sale in our frig on 8 Princess cruises.

Us too. We LOVE Princess, but FREE stuff????? don't hold your breath! lol!

marge.;)