Currency in Croatia and Turkey?

Many vendors, taxi drivers and shops will accept Euro but the exchange rate will not be great. Some official sites, museums and the walls at Dubrovnik only accept, in that case, Kuna, or credit cards. ATMs are readily available at all ports. Leftover notes can be exchanged at your bank and coins are great souvenirs! Ken

Many vendors, taxi drivers and shops will accept Euro but the exchange rate will not be great. Some official sites, museums and the walls at Dubrovnik only accept, in that case, Kuna, or credit cards. ATMs are readily available at all ports. Leftover notes can be exchanged at your bank and coins are great souvenirs! Ken

We will be in Istanbul for several days before a cruise in July. I've been told that some places will indeed accept US dollars, euros or British pounds, but not all of them will. Case in point: We have a couple of private tours arranged; the deposit was paid via Paypal, but the guide requested cash in Turkish lira for the balance due at the time of the tours.

Turkey is the Turkish Lira. While shops and restaurants will take pretty much anything (including your first born child :D ) the government owned sites (museums etc) take lira. Or a credit card that will be charged in lira and then converted by your cc company usually incurring a fee.

Croatia is the Kuna. They like their own currency too. We found they also take credit cards tho….again in Kuna and then converted by our CC company incurring a fee.

NOW there are ATMs in both countries. Best way to get currency. Best exchange rate and lower fees.

Just push the little British flag for English :)

Ask for credit card purchases to be calculated in that country's currency without a conversion to dollars. The exchange rate is usually very poor. Use a credit card with a chil that does not incur a foreign transaction fee.

I may be a little confused :confused: but when we use our credit cards (which is ALOT) it is ALWAYS in their currency…… the credit card company converts it to dollars when the charge is posted to our account.

We always use the credit card first, if possible. American Express first then our BOA Mastercard if AE is not accepted.

I have looked into some cards with no fee, but seems that my double points cards give me a better deal, we use the points to pay for all our airfare :D and this works out better than saving the conversion fees we incur……. now, if I could find a card that does both…….:o

I may be a little confused :confused: but when we use our credit cards (which is ALOT) it is ALWAYS in their currency…… the credit card company converts it to dollars when the charge is posted to our account.

We always use the credit card first, if possible. American Express first then our BOA Mastercard if AE is not accepted.

I have looked into some cards with no fee, but seems that my double points cards give me a better deal, we use the points to pay for all our airfare :D and this works out better than saving the conversion fees we incur……. now, if I could find a card that does both…….:o

I have had the option to choose at duty free shops at several international airports. I always chose Euros but was not sure I was doing the correct thing.

I have had the option to choose at duty free shops at several international airports. I always chose Euros but was not sure I was doing the correct thing.

While I am a serious shopper, that is one place I have never bought anything UNLESS I am trying to spend my last few euros…..but only once. Since then knowing I will be returning I keep my euros for the next trip :p

While I am a serious shopper, that is one place I have never bought anything UNLESS I am trying to spend my last few euros…..but only once. Since then knowing I will be returning I keep my euros for the next trip :p

We always get our booze. This way you can take it as a carry-on plus you can pick up some stuff not usually sold back home

Any idea on how much Turkish Lira one might need in Istanbul for just one day? I am thinking just for small souvenirs, lunch, snacks, etc. I wouldn't want to have too much left over after the end of the day. I would probably use credit cards where possible but would want local currency for a little shopping and eating. Any insight appreciated.

Any idea on how much Turkish Lira one might need in Istanbul for just one day? I am thinking just for small souvenirs, lunch, snacks, etc. I wouldn't want to have too much left over after the end of the day. I would probably use credit cards where possible but would want local currency for a little shopping and eating. Any insight appreciated.

It's unclear if you are asking about how much one should expect to spend, or if you simply don't understand the conversion rates. If it's the former, no one can answer but you, as no one knows what you mean by "a little shopping." If it's the latter, there are phone apps that will convert for you, so you can enter the amount in dollars that you want to have on hand and the app will tell you what the equivalent is in Turkish lira.

I've heard that some countries only will make transactions with a credit card that has an electronic chip in it. We don't have that chip in our VISA card.

Do stores and restaurants in Istanbul take a "chipless" card?

I've heard that some countries only will make transactions with a credit card that has an electronic chip in it. We don't have that chip in our VISA card.

I can't speak to Istanbul specifically since we haven't been yet, but yes it is true that more and more places in Europe are only accepting cards with chips. We have cards with chips so unfortunately can't answer as to how often you will need a chip card and how often a regular card will be ok.

The best answer would be "maybe yes and maybe no." So it is always wise to have a backup plan to pay for items. One good option is to simply have an ATM card (and notify your issuing bank in advance) which you could always use at a nearby ATM to get cash. The situation with magnetic strip cards is constantly changing in many places, so a card that would work today at a certain merchant may not be accepted tomorrow.

Hank