Why are people so happy about the big reversal??

JPV072900

Is it really a victory that NCL reversed their recent decision regarding food being taken out of the restaurants??

Did everyone forget that there's still a $7.95 charge for room service??

My guess is that NCL considers it a victory that people made a bigger deal about the food policy rather than making a big deal about the room service fee!!

Perhaps that's exactly how they wanted it all to play out!!!

NCL is simply brilliant!!

I personally never use room service, so although I know it bothers others I was MUCH more concerned over bringing food back to the cabin to enjoy on the balcony.

So yes, it is was a big deal for me. Don't need people to bring me meals.

Is it really a victory that NCL reversed their recent decision regarding food being taken out of the restaurants??

My guess is that NCL considers it a victory that people made a bigger deal about the food policy rather than making a big deal about the room service fee!!

Celebrity did something similar. Folks were upset about changes and what did Celebrity do. They threw them a bone and gave them back the nightly chocolates on their pillow (worth probably less than 1 cent) and folks were happy. With NCL, it didn't even cost them the price of some chocolate. Edited by NLH Arizona

I really doubt there was a conspiracy behind the "no take out" rule. In reality enough people probably complained in letter, E-mail, and in-person to make them realize it wasn't worth putting the employees in a bad position or upsetting customers.

People see value in having food brought to them versus having to go and get it then walking back to wherever. So while it was free at one time it is either raise fares more then normal or charge it to those that choose to use it. I would prefer them to charge those that use it than make me pay for someone else's room service.

Because, being able to eat what I wanted, where I wanted it, with whomever I chose, including being alone, is very important to my relaxation. And I am very grateful that NCL listened to their customer and made the change back. Personally, I don't care about the room service charge. It is a small amount in the grand scheme of things and I do like having a more robust room service menu in return.

I am happy NCL listened to some of the complaints. I like to take out from buffet.

Still the $7.95 room service though and probably still no take out fro O'Sheehans.

I am bugged that they took cereal and yoghurt off the free continental breakfast room service menu.

I don't like eating in the cabin..it's messy...most cabins really have nowhere comfortable to eat.....doesn't bother me one way or the other. Not a huge fan of room service because of the dining table (or lack thereof) situation.

I don't cruise to eat....I cruise to cruise!

I'm happy because I never cared about the room service charge in the great first place, I never use room service. I realize the cruise lines will/must find new ways to raise revenue, and if they do it in ways that don't affect me then that's a win for me.

I'm very happy that the policy I did care about was changed. Bravo.

I am bugged that they took cereal and yoghurt off the free continental breakfast room service menu.

Yes, but, look at the big picture. At least now you can go and get it from the buffet and take it back to your cabin for free, or, you can have someone else bring it to you for a charge. Glass half full.

And why do you assume that they will continue to omit O'Sheehan's from this policy reversal? Stuart's statement said "all restaurants", not "almost all".

I think people just do not like being told what they can and cannot do. Also if it's about dishes in hallways then they should have eliminated room service dishes altogether.

Just because someone takes food back to their room does not mean they are a slob either as some have posted in other threads.

I'm happy because I never cared about the room service charge in the great first place, I never use room service. I realize the cruise lines will/must find new ways to raise revenue, and if they do it in ways that don't affect me then that's a win for me.

I'm very happy that the policy I did care about was changed. Bravo.

It was a ridiculous policy, and needed to be changed. Gotta love the power of social media!

The RS charge doesn't bother me. The kids will order still, and I'm fine with that. Hopefully NCL takes care of the "dirty dish" problem they seem to feel that they have. It's quite embarrassing, since Princess, RCCL, Celebrity, and even Carnival don't seem to have it!

I'm happy about it just in case something happens on our cruise on July like what happened two years ago. DS8, who was 6 at the time, and DS10, who was 8 at the time, were so exhausted at dinner in the MDR after a long day in port at St. Thomas. We had gotten up early that morning to go to the beach (which wipes them out in the first place), after being at the deck party late (for the kids! around 11:30) the night before. A short afternoon nap just wasn't enough for them. My little one actually started falling asleep at the dinner table while we were eating our entrees, and my big one was complaining that he was so tired. They had both eaten some of their dinner but they really needed to rest. DH said he had eaten enough and took them back to the cabin. I felt bad that DH didn't get to have dessert because they had his favorite that night, tiramisu. I asked our waiter to pack a tiramisu for him to go and he happily did just that.

Now if something like this happens but we haven't yet eaten dinner, then I would hope they'd allow us to bring something back to the cabin. It will also prevent people from staying in the MDR or any other restaurant with exhausted, cranky children because they have no other chance to eat without paying a RS charge for room temperature food. So it will be a positive for other passengers dining in the same space as well.

I don't see a problem being able to bring food back to the cabin. NCL crew just has to keep the ship clean.

Well, I said weeks back that I could not decide whether the folks at NCL are complete idiots or perhaps mad geniuses ( just look at some of the written policy which can be interpreted several ways and takes weeks of discussion to decipher ). Perhaps the carryout ban really was meant to be a distraction from the unhappiness over the RS fee.;).

If so, it worked. As long as I can order free am coffee occassionally, and bring my Cagneys dessert back to my balcony, I am happy. If in the rare event I have to order other items, I can live with it. A $7.95 fee once on a cruise will not break me.

I can't speak for others who may be more affected by the fee than I am. If there are those for whom this creates a hardship, they should still be vocal and press NCL to come up with a workable solution. As we have learned, NCL will listen when presented with enough feedback.

I personally never use room service, so although I know it bothers others I was MUCH more concerned over bringing food back to the cabin to enjoy on the balcony.

Agreed 100%

Ditto, same as it ever was.

The room service fee is optional. Taking food from the buffet was optional, then it was changed to NO! Now it is optional again. People wanted the option.

Well, I've never ordered room service and I never plan to! I wouldn't want to miss out on all the buffet selections for breakfast. As long as I can find a cup of coffee to bring my wife every morning, them I'm happy!!

If the worry is about dishes being left in the hallway, then a small sign in the room or in the dailies asking people to leave them in their room for the room steward might work.

Of course. And I am to lazy to confirm it now but I am pretty sure that "put the used plates in the hallway" was a common answer here on board and quoted to be said by crew members as well.

I have never noticed the amount in the hallways as a problem but when it is just giving the guests a hint how to help the staff is all that is needed.

I guess only "luxury" cruise lines need more staff for that.

Of course. And I am to lazy to confirm it now but I am pretty sure that "put the used plates in the hallway" was a common answer here on board and quoted to be said by crew members as well.

I have never noticed the amount in the hallways as a problem but when it is just giving the guests a hint how to help the staff is all that is needed.

I guess only "luxury" cruise lines need more staff for that.

We were absolutely told to put our RS tray/plates in the hall on our last NCL cruise. We were told this by the RS delivery person, and our room steward. We did as we were told, and our plates were cleaned up promptly.

6&8

If the worry is about dishes being left in the hallway, then a small sign in the room or in the dailies asking people to leave them in their room for the room steward might work.

I wouldn't mind taking my dishes to return rack if one was provided. I would prefer this over to having the dishes in my room or out in the hallway where some pax place them.....Ew.