Lost passport!

I have a plastic tray with snap on top and keep our Passports in that until our next cruise, I also keep a cruise folder going so about 2 weeks before we leave, I put our Passports in the folder and set on our dresser so everything we need is in one location and we are not rumaging thru the house at the last minute. Before we leave the house I double check all necessary documents and Reservations to be sure I have them.

Birth Certificates are issued by the state. As long as you live in the state you were born in, most counties and cities of any size have a vital records department where you can get a raised seal birth certificate. In Missouri the cost is $25.00 and they print it while you wait. If you do not live in the state you were born in you will have to order one from that state's vital records department. It has been my experience that if you have to order a birth certificate you will need at least a month.

Well, that might be Missouri, but in Massachusetts, you can get a birth certificate from the clerk's office in the city or town you were born in. Ours cost $5 and usually come with a little bit of local gossip as the secretary types it up.

Now that he has found his passport, go to walmart and buy a small box safe that is fireproof...

^ THIS. You can put all manner of valuables in there - jewelry, documents, money, passports, insurance policies, a copy of your will. It's a very good, very reasonable investment. :)

Well, that might be Missouri, but in Massachusetts, you can get a birth certificate from the clerk's office in the city or town you were born in. Ours cost $5 and usually come with a little bit of local gossip as the secretary types it up.

But look what it would cost if you're out of state & in a hurry!! :eek:

CERTIFIED COPY OF MASSACHUSETTS BIRTH CERTIFICATE

$52.87 Online Processing Fee

$_8.00 Authorized Massachusetts Agency Merchant Fee

$50.50 Massachusetts State Government Fee

$111.37 Total Fee (Additional Copies: $103.37 each)

Delivery Options

$18.50 *UPS Air Shipping Delivery (includes multiple copies)

$11.50 *UPS 2 Day Air Shipping Delivery (includes multiple copies)

__Free Regular Mail

*UPS to Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico is $26.50. UPS to all international locations is $37.00.

This is from Mass Vital Records

Edited by phoenix1181

I cannot find my husband's passport for our upcoming cruise. I can't find his birth certificate either. Will our marriage license or an old (expired) passport suffice to get on the ship? I know I can get a new passport expedited, but I'd like to avoid having to pay for that if possible.

No. An expired passport is not valid for anything except memories. : Please note: Royal Caribbean domestic sailings are all sailings originating and ending in ports located in the U.S., Canada and Mexico including Panama Canal sailings. All other sailings are considered to be international sailings. These include itineraries in Europe, South America and Australia/New Zealand including re-positioning sailings originating or ending in their ports. U.S. citizens traveling on our international sailings are required to have valid passports.

Before Leaving Home:

Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the required travel documents you will be asked to provide prior to boarding the ship. Caution: The requirements described below are required by government regulations and policies. They are subject to change without notice.

It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents and have them available when necessary. These appropriate valid travel documents such as passports, visas, inoculation certificate and family legal documents are required for boarding and re-entry into the United States and other countries.

Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or from entering a country and may be subject to fines. No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation.

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship

No. An expired passport is not valid for anything except memories. ...

About the only thing I can think of that an expired passport can be used for is to get a new passport, as long as it as not been expired too long.

But look what it would cost if you're out of state & in a hurry!! :eek:

CERTIFIED COPY OF MASSACHUSETTS BIRTH CERTIFICATE

$52.87 Online Processing Fee

$_8.00 Authorized Massachusetts Agency Merchant Fee

$50.50 Massachusetts State Government Fee

$111.37 Total Fee (Additional Copies: $103.37 each)

Delivery Options

$18.50 *UPS Air Shipping Delivery (includes multiple copies)

$11.50 *UPS 2 Day Air Shipping Delivery (includes multiple copies)

__Free Regular Mail

*UPS to Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico is $26.50. UPS to all international locations is $37.00.

This is from Mass Vital Records

I would check out the clerks office of the city or town where you were born first. I can get mine for $5 by mail too, if I include a self addressed stamped envelope. My son was born in a different town and his is $20 by mail with a self addressed, stamped envelope. For the location that you used to have listed, you can get one by mail for $10.

I would check out the clerks office of the city or town where you were born first. I can get mine for $5 by mail too, if I include a self addressed stamped envelope. My son was born in a different town and his is $20 by mail with a self addressed, stamped envelope. For the location that you used to have listed, you can get one by mail for $10.

I agree going directly to the city or town is the way to go. I went to Mass Vital Records out of curiosity thinking it may be easier if someone needed multiple birth certificates from multiple cities/towns in the state. Based on those prices, I'm glad I don't need the service!

Now that he has found his passport, go to walmart and buy a small box safe that is fireproof. Put it on the kitchen table when you leave as a reminder to put your passports away. Put the box away where you will know where it is. Order a new birth certificate and put yours, his, and your marriage license in there as well.

Great advice! We actually have one, but when I opened it to check that our passports were there....mine was there, his was not. After tearing the house apart or two hours looking for it, he ended up finding it in his laptop/work bag. He started a new job last year and used his passport to show identity for form I-9.

As said already, they found it!

As to the little safe. Do not lock it. Otherwise, any thief will take it with them and worry about opening it later to find items very valuable to you, and not so much to them.

It would have taken 4 weeks to get a new birth certificate from the state of California. BUT....

He found his passport!!!! It was in his computer bag at work.

Whew.

(no a marriage certificate would not have worked)

If you are in the same state that you were born, you can get a copy of your birth certificate at the county vital statistics office. It doesn't have to be in the same county you were born. They may only offer the "short form" which works just fine and I believe it was $12 when I got my daughters. Don't stress, enjoy your cruise!

Short form MIGHT get you on the ship if a BC can be used. Might.

You have the only relevant question. Per the WHTI agreement, not all cruises require a passport. You are allowed to carry another form of government issued I.d. ( ie drivers license) A typical closed end Caribbean Cruise does not require a passport. Only if you would need to FLY home, maybe due to an emergency, would you have to have one.

A marriage certificate, though, would NOT have worked. The OP couldn't find the passport or the BC. She was asking if a MC would work. No. Not even on a closed loop cruise.

Glad you found it! For anyone else reading this in hopes of finding a quick fix, check the government website for passports. There is a way to make an appointment and go to the nearest passport office to get your passport done I think overnight. A few years ago when I got my passport, that meant a six hour drive. My spouse had to renew his for our last trip and we found out they've opened a new office just over an hour from here. You might get lucky and find out your spouse can renew it on his lunch hour. Good luck! :)

Edited by TravelinGert