Leveling Up on Loyalty

The difference in price between the 2 cabins is $285.00 total ($142.50 per person). I don't think that is a HUGE difference in price. Although, it could certainly be used toward other things. I know everyone has their own opinions on what is "worth it." I think I might prefer to use my money on other things, but it would certainly cost me more to take two cruises to get to Diamond than it would to spring for the JS this one time and be there.

Although, we may be up for trying some other lines right now.

I believe that for $20.00 a night (I assume this is a 7 day cruise) that the jump to a JS would be totally worth it for the comfort. The added points would be a bonus.:)

The difference in price between the 2 cabins is $285.00 total ($142.50 per person). I don't think that is a HUGE difference in price. Although, it could certainly be used toward other things. I know everyone has their own opinions on what is "worth it." I think I might prefer to use my money on other things, but it would certainly cost me more to take two cruises to get to Diamond than it would to spring for the JS this one time and be there.

If that $285 is for a 7 day cruise, then it would be worth it to us to move to the JS. That is a good upgrade price from a balcony to a JS.

Emerald doesn't matter too much.

Diamond is where the fun starts.

What I would do in your situation is figure out the value of each point (factor in things like airfare, and other things you'd save by not buying twice if you had a JS or higher) and then determine the true cost to get there by paying for double point cabins but less time and travel.

The difference in price between the 2 cabins is $285.00 total ($142.50 per person).

Is that a discounted "upsell" price from C&A? If so, you may not necessarily get the bonus points. You should verify that before determining if the upgrade is anything more than room space.

I believe that for $20.00 a night (I assume this is a 7 day cruise) that the jump to a JS would be totally worth it for the comfort. The added points would be a bonus.:)

If that $285 is for a 7 day cruise, then it would be worth it to us to move to the JS. That is a good upgrade price from a balcony to a JS.

The OP said a 5 night. Being a big fan of Junior and Grand Suites I might still do it but I'd have to know the total price.

Okay my fellow Royal experts. We are Platinum at 45 points/cruise credits (whatever you call them). It looks like you become Emerald at 55 points. Since we are so close, I am thinking about booking a junior suite to get us to our 55 point mark, so we can be Emerald on the following cruise. Will a Junior Suite for 5 nights get us there? It is my understanding that suites give you 2 points per night of sailing. So that should get us to the 55 point mark. At that point, we will have obtained enough points to be Emerald on the following cruise, right? We usually cruise for 7 nights, but I would be okay with a five night one in a JS to get the requisite points.

So my next question is whether the benefits at Emerald are worth paying the extra money to get their more quickly. I wouldn't mind if it took us two cruises in OV or balconies to get our points. I just feel like we are so close to the next level, it might be worth it to go ahead and pay the extra to get there.

I don't see any huge benefits to getting to Emerald. It looks to me like you don't really start getting any meaningful perks until you get to Diamond. I know there are plenty who think even those perks are diminished.

Looking at your original post, I see you usually sail 7 night cruises. With the 5 night cruise you are considering the JS to get to Emerald (45+10=55), how do the prices compare to a 7 night cruise in a JS? 45+14=59, and would bring you 4 more points closer Diamond. Then you would only be 21 points away from Diamond, and 3 non-suite cruises would bring you to the round number of 80 needed for Diamond. If JS is too much, five 7-night cruises (45+35=80) in balcony or lower are needed for Diamond.

If you're looking to sail the 5 night cruise regardless of C&A Points, the extra $285 for a JS comes to $57 more a day for the JS. It all depends on how comfortable you feel spending the extra money.

If you are more comfortable sailing 7 night cruises and were just looking to get to Emerald, and let's say it's $285 more (or less) for two extra nights in a balcony on a 7 night cruise, then you would probably be getting a more enjoyable cruise on the 7 night than you would on the 5 night.

Me personally, I like the 5 night cruises. Not too short, but long enough leaving me wanting more. I choose them based on price, itinerary, and ship.

Edited by TM38Rob

The OP said a 5 night. Being a big fan of Junior and Grand Suites I might still do it but I'd have to know the total price.

I'd still do it for $285 for a 5 night. My personal guideline has always been $400 for a 7 night, so the $285 is right there. Not a fantastic deal, but good enough for me.

Looking at your original post, I see you usually sail 7 night cruises. With the 5 night cruise you are considering the JS to get to Emerald (45+10=55), how do the prices compare to a 7 night cruise in a JS? 45+14=59, and would bring you 4 more points closer Diamond. Then you would only be 21 points away from Diamond, and 3 non-suite cruises would bring you to the round number of 80 needed for Diamond. If JS is too much, five 7-night cruises (45+35=80) in balcony or lower are needed for Diamond.

If you're looking to sail the 5 night cruise regardless of C&A Points, the extra $285 for a JS comes to $57 more a day for the JS. It all depends on how comfortable you feel spending the extra money.

If you are more comfortable sailing 7 night cruises and were just looking to get to Emerald, and let's say it's $285 more (or less) for two extra nights in a balcony on a 7 night cruise, then you would probably be getting a more enjoyable cruise on the 7 night than you would on the 5 night.

Me personally, I like the 5 night cruises. Not too short, but long enough leaving me wanting more. I choose them based on price, itinerary, and ship.

Many good points. To explain some of my thoughts in taking this 5 nighter.

I usually sail 7 night cruises because my husband's previous job required him to take his vacation time in one week blocks. So we usually booked a one week cruise. I am not opposed to a shorter cruise. The proposed cruise leaves out of Tampa, which is where my father-in-law usually spends his winters. It would give us an opportunity to visit with him, and we might even entice him to go on a cruise if he wanted to sail with a friend. My SIL has wanted to go on a cruise as well, but doesn't want to pay a single supplement. FIL has wanted to cruise also, but not pay single supplement. They are willing to share a cabin. They might not do a suite, but we might consider it, since it would put us at Emerald. That would also give us a little more space in the stateroom for us all to be able to have a drink or two before dinner, plan our days or just visit.

I know it would not get us any extra points, but now that I think about it, we might consider doing two junior suites and put the guys in one and the girls in the other and have even MORE space. We would be accrue our points and get them started cruising with a couple of extra points per person.

Anyhow, I need to get some clarification/guidance about the other post about a C&A upsell. Not sure I followed why I would not get the 2 cruise points. Maybe someone can better explain.

As I understand it, yes I might get some discount for booking a suite but as long as I book and pay for a suite, and that is my intention all along- I would get the points associated with a suite. As I understand it, if I got offered a last-minute upgrade to a suite from a cabin I originally purchased which was not a suite, I would not get the points. I.E. If I booked a balcony cabin, but got an upgrade to a suite I would still only get 1 cruise point per night. BUT if my intention at the outset when I book is to get a suite (even if I get some incentive or discount through C&A), I still get 2 points per night. Is that incorrect?

Many good points. To explain some of my thoughts in taking this 5 nighter.

I usually sail 7 night cruises because my husband's previous job required him to take his vacation time in one week blocks. So we usually booked a one week cruise. I am not opposed to a shorter cruise. The proposed cruise leaves out of Tampa, which is where my father-in-law usually spends his winters. It would give us an opportunity to visit with him, and we might even entice him to go on a cruise if he wanted to sail with a friend. My SIL has wanted to go on a cruise as well, but doesn't want to pay a single supplement. FIL has wanted to cruise also, but not pay single supplement. They are willing to share a cabin. They might not do a suite, but we might consider it, since it would put us at Emerald. That would also give us a little more space in the stateroom for us all to be able to have a drink or two before dinner, plan our days or just visit.

I know it would not get us any extra points, but now that I think about it, we might consider doing two junior suites and put the guys in one and the girls in the other and have even MORE space. We would be accrue our points and get them started cruising with a couple of extra points per person.

Anyhow, I need to get some clarification/guidance about the other post about a C&A upsell. Not sure I followed why I would not get the 2 cruise points. Maybe someone can better explain.

As I understand it, yes I might get some discount for booking a suite but as long as I book and pay for a suite, and that is my intention all along- I would get the points associated with a suite. As I understand it, if I got offered a last-minute upgrade to a suite from a cabin I originally purchased which was not a suite, I would not get the points. I.E. If I booked a balcony cabin, but got an upgrade to a suite I would still only get 1 cruise point per night. BUT if my intention at the outset when I book is to get a suite (even if I get some incentive or discount through C&A), I still get 2 points per night. Is that incorrect?

Having sailed in a balcony on Jewel from Tampa, they (Radiance class) are on the smaller side compared to Voyager/Freedom class ships. Two Jr. Suites would definitely be worth it.

Since you haven't booked the cruise yet, you will be eligible for the double points in the JS. You should see some type of balcony discount for Platinum. The other poster may have thought you were already booked in a balcony, and were looking to upgrade to JS. In that case, it would depend on a price drop versus discounted upgrade.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by TM38Rob

Ok, I'll go against the grain on this, but despite what everyone is saying, I think you should do it ! They all agree you will get better benefits at Platinum and Diamond, so why not book it to get the double points to get you there quicker. If you book a standard room and only get 5 points, then you will have to book another one to become Emerald and then you will see those benefits three cruises from now ! If you are able, do it !

I'd do it easily for that amount. A Jr. Suite is so much nicer than a balcony room in lots of ways. The only real problem is once you get one you'll have a difficult time going back to balcony only (or lower) :)

Tom

I'd still do it for $285 for a 5 night. My personal guideline has always been $400 for a 7 night, so the $285 is right there. Not a fantastic deal, but good enough for me.

I say if the difference from a balcony to JS is double the cost to upgrade, than don't do it. When hubby and I cruise together we won't do anything less then a balcony. The double points are worth it if you plan on sticking with RC and want to get status, it's all dependent on costs, $1399 for a 7 night is the medium for a JS,

Emerald exists, and was invented, only to prolong the time to reach Diamond. Emerald benefits over platinum are hardly worth mentioning. I would not spend extra money with the sole purpose of acquiring more cruise points. It just isn't worth it in a program that can change, or be eliminated, at any time and with no notice.

I'd do it easily for that amount. A Jr. Suite is so much nicer than a balcony room in lots of ways. The only real problem is once you get one you'll have a difficult time going back to balcony only (or lower) :)

Tom

I've gone between balconies and ocean views with no problem at all. It all depends on whether the cost is worth the little time we spend in the cabin and on the balcony. I find we spend little time in the cabin either way.

Diamond is really where you want to be. But really the best Diamond benefits are some internet time (which seems to be changing) and the Diamond lounge. You get free drinks and hot appies in the lounge every evening. So, if you are extremely conservative (like my DH) then having the free drinks changed everything for us.

We actually went on a short cruise around Christmas just to get to Diamond, so that when we took our next long cruise we would have the benefit. It was the right decision for us.

You need to weigh out the $$ and your comfort level in spending it. That short Christmas cruise turned out to be one of my favorites.

[quote name='blondie from arizona']Diamond is really where you want to be. But really the best Diamond benefits are some internet time (which seems to be changing) and the Diamond lounge. You get free drinks and hot appies in the lounge every evening. So, if you are extremely conservative (like my DH) then having the free drinks changed everything for us.

We actually went on a short cruise around Christmas just to get to Diamond, so that when we took our next long cruise we would have the benefit. It was the right decision for us.

You need to weigh out the $$ and your comfort level in spending it. That short Christmas cruise turned out to be one of my favorites.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the feedback. I need to go back and revisit the prices now. I know that Emerald is pretty much purgatory for Diamond. I just want to get through Emerald so I can get TO Diamond. But even then, don't know if the perks are worth it.

I'm Emerald and just 8 points short of Diamond, after my next cruise with Quantum this month, I'll be just 2 points short.

Seems like Diamond just gets you the Diamond lounge, 3 Diamond drinks in your sea pass, and significant Diamond balcony discount, but NO SPECIAL TREATMENT.

Guess nowadays you have to reach D+ to get suite perks like Concierge lounge access and gold sea pass reserved area dining perks etc..

[quote name='roquejo']...Guess nowadays you have to reach D+ to get suite perks like Concierge lounge access and gold sea pass reserved area dining perks etc..[/quote]
D+ do get access to the reserved seating are in the main theater, but not the pool. No gold card for D+ unless they are in a full suite.