Meals in Sydney Australia

mcrcruiser

We will be staying in Sydney Australia for 6 evenings .

We understand that Sydney is expensive ,like London . In London there are the Pubs ,at more reasonable prices .Are there similar eating establishments available in Sydney ?

TIA for your replies

We will be staying in Sydney Australia for 6 evenings .

We understand that Sydney is expensive ,like London . In London there are the Pubs ,at more reasonable prices .Are there similar eating establishments available in Sydney ?

TIA for your replies

There are still plenty of pubs in Sydney and many of them have great bistros with good meals for around $12. If you make the trek to one of the inner suburbs like Newtown you can find many cheap restaurants with great food. The CBD is a little more hit and miss with lots of overpriced establishments, although the areas around Central Station (like Surry Hills) have a lot of pubs with great food.

Just do a google search on Sydney pub food and you will find some good info.

We - as you have been told - found Sydney to be expensive, however, not near so much so as London. If you're looking for casual, rather than fancy, it's fairly easy to find things that are quite affordable; and we found a lot that were very good.

Sydney quickly became one of our favorite cities. I'd go back anytime.

Harris

Denver, CO

As a visitor to sydney, one of the important things to remember is that The Rocks area where you ship will dock is where Australia was first settled by white man. As such, there is loads of history and quite a few little hidden gems for eating and drinking in the area.

Pub food.

The Glenmore. great pub food. amazing view of the opera house, circular quay, and the ship. about a 5 minute walk from Circular Quay Terminal

Australian Heritage Hotel

. Great ausssie pub food, awesome selection of food. about 100m from The Glenmore

Upmarket.

Cafe Sopra Walsh Bay. Modern Italian. great food, friendly staff, short walk around Hickson Road from Circular Quay.

Cafe Sydney. Very up-market eatery, view of circular quay, the harbour bridge and the Opera House

If you are prepared to travel a little further and head over the Harbour Bridge, there is some stellar dining in neutral bay/cremorne, about 15 minutes from teh city.

My pick(and my local) is Radio Cairo. It is a unique blend of African/Sri Lankan/Middle Eastern/Caribbean. bookings essential friday-saturday.

As a visitor to sydney, one of the important things to remember is that The Rocks area where you ship will dock is where Australia was first settled by white man. As such, there is loads of history and quite a few little hidden gems for eating and drinking in the area.

Pub food.

The Glenmore. great pub food. amazing view of the opera house, circular quay, and the ship. about a 5 minute walk from Circular Quay Terminal

Australian Heritage Hotel

. Great ausssie pub food, awesome selection of food. about 100m from The Glenmore

Upmarket.

Cafe Sopra Walsh Bay. Modern Italian. great food, friendly staff, short walk around Hickson Road from Circular Quay.

Cafe Sydney. Very up-market eatery, view of circular quay, the harbour bridge and the Opera House

If you are prepared to travel a little further and head over the Harbour Bridge, there is some stellar dining in neutral bay/cremorne, about 15 minutes from teh city.

My pick(and my local) is Radio Cairo. It is a unique blend of African/Sri Lankan/Middle Eastern/Caribbean. bookings essential friday-saturday.

Thanks for the info, what would one expect to pay for meals in most of these places you mentioned?

Have a night at Chinatown lots of small restaurants in Dixon street... Hart pub.... Pyrmont bridge hotel..... Even Harbourside darling harbour have lunch specials ....

Darling Harbour was a great area with lots of restaurants, most of which were not overly expensive. Also, Chinatown was close by and that was a fairly inexpensive area. The Fish Market is not open in the evening but it was a great place for lunch.

Sherri:)

While it might seem expensive at first, for those of us from the US, remember the there is no tax, and generally no tip. So a $15 burger with a view of the harbor is really like a $11-$12 burger in the states.

Edited by rakes5

While it might seem expensive at first, for those of us from the US, remember the there is no tax, and generally no tip. So a $15 burger with a view of the harbor is really like a $11-$12 burger in the states.

there is tax, but it is built in to the price.

you americans and your added tax!!

The food court at Westfield in the city has some good, cheap food. Also the Harbour Room food court in Westfield Bondi Junction which has superb views over the harbour from the far end of the room. Bondi Junction is a short train ride from the CBD. These two places are best for lunch though.

Another place, a short train ride away, is Chatswood which is becoming a hub for very good Asian food. There is a new food court, The District, right above the railway station. There are some great food options there.

The best pizzeria in Sydney (IMHO) is in Lane Cove, a short taxi ride from the city. Via Napoli serves classic Neopolitan-style pizzas and is certified by the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana. It's a good idea to book http://www.vianapolipizzeria.com.au/

Take the ferry to Manly one evening and you will find plenty of eateries across all price ranges. If you walk through to the oceanside there are a number of good cafes there that aren't too expensive.

And I'll second ellwa's recommendation of Radio Cairo. They have really interesting food there.

The best pizzeria in Sydney (IMHO) is in Lane Cove, a short taxi ride from the city. Via Napoli serves classic Neopolitan-style pizzas and is certified by the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana. It's a good idea to book http://www.vianapolipizzeria.com.au/

And I'll second ellwa's recommendation of Radio Cairo. They have really interesting food there.

+1 for Via Napoli. so good.

Same with us at Via Napoli.

nice.

to the OP, sydney is really a foodie city.

heaps of great places. really comes down to what you want, how far you want to go, and how much you're prepared to spend.

One thing to remember is that you don't have to tip. That immediately wipes 20% from what you might think of paying, plus all taxes are included in the price you see.

Melbourne and Adelaide are the foodie places in Australia.

Edited by Pushka

One thing to remember is that you don't have to tip. That immediately wipes 20% from what you might think of paying, plus all taxes are included in the price you see..

Thats it, very strange for americans. But the price on the menu IS the price you pay. The redacted comment is parochial.

One website puts Melbourne at 17. Another group puts Sydney at 3.

http://www.au.timeout.com/sydney/restaurants/features/11274/sydney-3rd-best-eating-city

It's all subjective, not definitive.

The point is both cities have a multitude of creative choices - and in respect of the original question, at a variety of price points.

Oh guess what. The OP did not ask if they should eat in Melbourne or Sydney.

They ARE going to be in Sydney. So just get over yourself.

P.S. I dont live in either city but have been to both many times.

Oh guess what. The OP did not ask if they should eat in Melbourne or Sydney.

They ARE going to be in Sydney. So just get over yourself.

P.S. I dont live in either city but have been to both many times.

Ah c'mon, chill!

Pushka was mostly just stirring ;) :p

Despite what flavour of the month the media is raving over at the time there is seriously good food in most major cities in Australia.

Thanks JJJ. If my comment about melb vs Syd was all I had posted to help the OP then maybe I deserved the rant. But it wasnt. ;). Interesting history there hey?

Edited by Pushka