live bands o Oceania?

SoBe2010

Hello everybody,

we are about to book our first cruise with Oceania and I am curious if there is a live band on Ocenia ships playing daytime at pool, for sailaway or at evening venues?

Is there a difference on R and O ships?

Or is it just the ochestra?

Thanks in advance!

We have only sailed on the large ship. Yes they had a ships band that played for the 10pm show, a string group that played in the grand bar area around dinner time and a paino man. There was little to no music by the pool during the day and I really do not recall any sail away parties. It is a rather quiet ship.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Sometimes the band will play at sailaway & on the pool deck sometimes not

The musicians I think are the same in the live band & add more members for the orchestra in the lounge

Someone will correct me if I am wrong

Edited by LHT28

It's been my impression that there is more music on the big ships, particularly at sailaway - but only once in a while, not every evening. However, that's not a scientific answer, so take it with a grain of salt. I certainly wouldn't pick one sized ship over the other because of the music. As others have said, Oceania ships are fairly quiet and sedate.

We have only sailed on the large ship. Yes they had a ships band that played for the 10pm show, a string group that played in the grand bar area around dinner time and a paino man. There was little to no music by the pool during the day and I really do not recall any sail away parties. It is a rather quiet ship.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

It is a quiet cruise line.

If it's loud music you are seeking O may not be for you.

Despite these previous answers, I do remember a band playing around the pool area at lunch hours ... but not recently, so perhaps that has been 86'd.

I'm not a "band" person but I never objected to what I heard there ...

Mura

Last week the Silgo band played in Horizons in the evening

I however missed them

In the past some of the "house" bands that play in the lounge before the show are pretty good & on occasion they played on the pool deck on the good weather cruises but not daily

You never know when or where they play on either ship size ;)

There are a significant number of Oceania guests who feel strongly there should be no music, canned or live, in the pool area. I'm agnostic about the issue; I can take it or leave it, but I hope they never have a rock band.

When occasionally they do have live music on the pool deck, it's usually a small combo or trio from the ship's band, playing for an hour or so.

The ship's band usually consists of 8 musicians: keyboard, lead guitar, bass guitar, percussion, trombone, saxophone, trumpet, and either an extra sax or extra trumpet. There are no strings in the ship's band, so I would not call it an orchestra. Sometimes, no more than once in a cruise, the string quartet joins the ship's band and forms a small orchestra for an evening show, sometimes featuring the ship's pianist.

There has always been a string quartet that plays classical or popular semi-classical music in the early evening, and at some other events like the grand high tea and grand brunch (not always held). They usually consist of first and second violins, viola and cello. They are always enjoyable and sometimes really good!

Last week the Silgo band played in Horizons in the evening

I however missed them

In the past some of the "house" bands that play in the lounge before the show are pretty good & on occasion they played on the pool deck on the good weather cruises but not daily

You never know when or where they play on either ship size ;)

Siglo was on the Paul Gauguin for many years. They were also on the Riviera last year. They were in Horizons late night doing various themes on Marina last cruise.

Some of the music onboard is from the (insert ship's name) Orchestra. They play in a variety of venues including the shows. We've seen them on the pool deck at Sailaway on a few cruises at the sailaway party. Usually they are not on the pool deck to accompany those who are sunning themselves or reading or napping. There is usually a "reason" they are there

Siglo was on the Paul Gauguin for many years. They were also on the Riviera last year. They were in Horizons late night doing various themes on Marina last cruise.

Some of the music onboard is from the (insert ship's name) Orchestra. They play in a variety of venues including the shows. We've seen them on the pool deck at Sailaway on a few cruises at the sailaway party. Usually they are not on the pool deck to accompany those who are sunning themselves or reading or napping. There is usually a "reason" they are there

I don't keep up with Siglo, but after seeing them on PG & then on Riviera I feel like they might have a revolving membership. I don't think the version I saw on Riviera was near as good as the one I saw on PG, especially the guitar player. Anyone know for sure?

I don't keep up with Siglo, but after seeing them on PG & then on Riviera I feel like they might have a revolving membership. I don't think the version I saw on Riviera was near as good as the one I saw on PG, especially the guitar player. Anyone know for sure?

Yes they have evolved. The original leader, "Siglo" himself is now retired (if he's still alive). But most of the members remain the same, I believe, including the lead singer, who was kind of central to the band "back in the day".

They are a great band, or were. And sorry Hondorner, but they are a rock band. Best band I've ever heard at sea, and very much missed on the Paul Gauguin.

Maybe if these entertainment changes that seem to be sweeping through O and R leave them without a contract, they'll come back to the PG! I can live in hope.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Agree. The version of Siglo that we saw last year on Marina paled in comparison to the great band we saw on Paul Gauguin. There were quite a few less members for one thing. Not sure about the guitar player specifically.

Agree. The version of Siglo that we saw last year on Marina paled in comparison to the great band we saw on Paul Gauguin. There were quite a few less members for one thing. Not sure about the guitar player specifically.

That's too bad, although not too surprising considering I first saw them on the PG fifteen years ago.

Siglo was on Riviera for the TA crossing in Nov last year and they were great - very popular with the guests. They played soft-rock poolside during the day for an hour or so. We enjoyed listening to their music.