Trying out Holland America

jean s

We are long time Princess cruisers but have decided to book a February 2016 cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam in the Caribbean. Typically we book mini suites on Princess. We love the balconies and the little extra space. We are looking for suggestions as to what category on HA would be similar and what deck people recommend. Of course any other suggestions as we try a new cruise line are welcome.

We are long time Princess cruisers but have decided to book a February 2016 cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam in the Caribbean. Typically we book mini suites on Princess. We love the balconies and the little extra space. We are looking for suggestions as to what category on HA would be similar and what deck people recommend. Of course any other suggestions as we try a new cruise line are welcome.

The Signature Suites will be closest to minis on Princess. A step-up would be to a Neptune Suite - which are wonderful! Lots of perks in booking Neptunes but the Signature suites will cost much less. I would look at the Rotterdam deck - deck 7.

I think I might try the Signature Suites. Very spacious, and large balcony to boot. The Neptune Suites are even better, with more perks but pricier. We have stayed in both, but the Neptune Suite was an upgrade, so you need to figure out if it's worth the difference. Either way both are very nice. Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide!

We find the veranda cabins are much like the minis on Princess.You get the tub and small sofa like a mini.It's not quite as large but the price jump from a veranda to a signature suite is usually significant.

Just a note on the Nieuw Amsterdam - Some of the deck 5 SS cabins have shorter balconies. We sailed with some lovely CC people last year and we noticed that some of the verandas are not as deep. You probably wouldn't notice it unless you happened to see them both.

Welcome to Holland America.

Here is my photographic tour of the NW from December 2014 to help you get acquainted with the NA:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/

We are former Princess cruisers, until we discovered that HAL's standard balcony cabin is vitually the same as the extra-priced Princess mini-suite. HAL has a couch and bathtub as standard features, and balcony sizes are larger than Princess. Therefore, for less money, we are getting the same, and larger, features.

I think you will be pleasently surprised. Like the others so accurately pointed out, standard verandas on HAL...or pretty much any other line for that matter...are comparable to what Princess calls a mini-suite. The cabins on Princess are smaller than any other cruise line I have sailed.

I had a Signature suite on Nieuw Amsterdam and loved it! I highly recommend it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are looking at either the Signature suite or the veranda stateroom. What is the best location (deck) for these categories?
Jean, you will be very pleased with the VB aft cabins on the NA. We were in 7143 on the NA's sister ship, the Eurodam, and thought the cabin and balcony were large and comfortable. The cabin was equal to the minisuites we remember from our Princess cruises.

Deck 4 verandas aft on the bump out (and on the forward bump out, too, though you have to be careful about steel vs plexiglass railings there) are IIRC 9 x 7.5 feet in size. They're noticeably deeper than the majority.

Princess Mini-Suites really are larger than HAL verandahs and smaller than HAL Signature Suites overall. Cabin size is noted first and balcony second. HAL prices may be about the same for the Caribbean but for other itineraries like Alaska and Mexico, generally the Mini-Suite price is at least several hundred dollars per person LESS than the Signature Suite.

Nieuw Amsterdam Verandah/Vista 174/46, Signature Suite 380/136

Crown Princess Mini Suite 277/46

The Mini Suite has 2 large TV's.

Edited by qsuzi

I agree that HAL's veranda staterooms are very similar to the Mini-Suites on Princess. The bathrooms are almost identical and we have never been bothered by having only 1 TV. The port and starboard balcony staterooms on Deck 4, Upper Promenade, are the widest (other than the aft facing cabins) on the ship. And, if you can grab either 4166 or 4168 the balcony is twice as long as the others. We are particularly fond of the VB & VC staterooms towards the aft on Deck 4 as they are very quite with very little foot traffic.

Although I wrote this 3 years ago you might want to read my comparison between the two lines. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1603771 It was our opinion after our 1st HAL cruise and we feel the same way.

if you want a larger balcony in a verandah cabin, 4166 on the upper promenade deck has a double width balcony. I checked and it appears to be available on a couple of Feb cruises. We had a cabin similar to it on the Nordam and loved the size. On the deck plans there isn't a cabin behind it and 4166 and 4168 both have larger balconies.