New to Any Time Dining-How to schedule

DaveHMD

We used Princess for an Alaskan cruise. There was no ATD on that cruise. Our upcoming cruise is in June on the Emerald Princess and we have selected ATD. For the first day out, when and how do you select your ATD, both time and the preferred table size? I assume things are easier for the remaining days of the voyage.

You just go whenever you're ready to dine. (usually 5:30 to 8:30)

You tell them if you want to "share" a table, or not, when you enter.

They will seat you at a 6 or 8 person table, generally.

or they will find you a table for two.

Edited by FoghornLeghorn

Anytime dining is just like showing up at a restaurant.

Just show up during the available hours, say if you're willing to share, get seated, and enjoy.

Or, if you wish, you can make reservations, but this varies my Maitre' D.

You will discover that certain hours, like home restaurants, will be busier and you might have a wait. Or if the port day is longer, more people will show up because they allow traditional diners to come over if they want. Making the at dining rooms busier than should be. if you are willing to sit at any seats at any table, you will be seated faster.

Edited by eandj

If you can avoid eating during peak hour between 6:30 - 8PM you'll find it's much easier to get seated no matter what size table you want. If you show up at 7 PM and HAVE TO HAVE a table for 2 they'll probably be a long wait.

I noticed on Alaska itineraries that when in port late, there may be open seating in dining rooms (all of them including the Fixed dining in the rear of ship. Someone recently posted the patters from Crown Princess cruise and it was shown as open seatings in all three dining rooms in two ports.

WE have never had to wait with anytime dining. We tend to eat dinner around 5:00 p.m. at home, so we stick as close to that schedule as possible and we get right in. It frees up the evening for enjoying entertainment.

Going on the 7 day Crown in July. We will be 6 adults, a 6 year old, 3 year old and a 7 month old. We are signed up for Anytime Dining. Should we have a problem getting a table for our family?

Our adult kids remember our first family cruise in 1988 and how the waiters got to know them, served them and made them feel very special.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

You should have no problem. With the young ages of some of your family, you might want to go when the dining room opens and you'll be taken right to a table for all of you. If you like it, you can continue to be there all the time. When we were travelling as a group of 6 we would go at opening time, and after the first night, we would just request the same table number if we had enjoyed the service there, and after that we wouldn't even have to ask.

I Would suggest ringing the DINE line when you board and explain you need a family table. At the end of the first night speak to the head waiter at the door and see if he can arrange anything for you for example same table at a specific time. Sometimes they can accommodate this. If so, if you all decide to eat elsewhere for a night either at the buffet, speciality restaurant, we usually tell the waiters so they don't keep an empty table.

Edited by jackieo

Going on the 7 day Crown in July. We will be 6 adults, a 6 year old, 3 year old and a 7 month old. We are signed up for Anytime Dining. Should we have a problem getting a table for our family?

Our adult kids remember our first family cruise in 1988 and how the waiters got to know them, served them and made them feel very special.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

My opinion is that if it your intention is to dine together each evening you should try to switch to traditional dining. A large group may be difficult to seat during the early times when young children normally like to eat. If you plan to dine 7:30 or later you shouldn't have a problem.

We used Princess for an Alaskan cruise. There was no ATD on that cruise. Our upcoming cruise is in June on the Emerald Princess and we have selected ATD. For the first day out, when and how do you select your ATD, both time and the preferred table size? I assume things are easier for the remaining days of the voyage.

If you like to dine early you may have difficulty on the 1st evening. Each cruise has it's own passenger dining dynamic, and from the 2nd evening on you should be able to figure out your pattern. Certain reservations are accepted for ATD by calling the DINE Line.

It is exactly like a land based restaurant except that you can share your table with others if you wish. I can't understand why people have so many difficulties understanding ATD.

DON

It might have a lot to do with all the posts about making reservations each evening and others making them for the entire cruise, neither which is necessary & makes some people think it is.

They should do away with any & all reservations and special tables in AT and seat the people when they show up at the door.

If you want the same type of table at the same time every evening switch to traditional dining. That is what it is for. Please do not tie up a table in the Anytime Dining room by making night after night reservations in that space. It is one of the main reasons others get to wait in line or with a pager. Thank you for your consideration of others.

It might have a lot to do with all the posts about making reservations each evening and others making them for the entire cruise, neither which is necessary & makes some people think it is.

They should do away with any & all reservations and special tables in AT and seat the people when they show up at the door.

Totally agree.....keep AD what it was intended for "Anytime".....not can you reserve a table for "MY TIME."

While the concept of making reservations sounds OK, like it would at any land based restaurant, I've found that there are so many people with standing reservations that there are literally a few dozen of them streaming into the DR each night to their "reserved table". This means that all the window seats are preassigned for your whole cruise. Add to that the daily reservations that are held each night & it causes the backup that many of us have to contend with.

It's turned the AT DR into a mess at times with long waits at peak times.

Simply let everyone to show up at the door when their ready to eat & the flow would much better for all, assigning them to whatever tables are open at the time.

Yes, I realize that I can call for reservations each morning but have you ever tried to call at 8AM & be put on hold, especially if it's a port day & you're getting ready to leave on a tour?

And also do not allow those assigned to traditional dining to eat in the Anytime Dining Rooms. As many often point out there are many other dining venues they can utilize. Should be so easy to do.