Koningsdam Cabin Sizes

ravinblue

We are considering booking a 2016 Baltic cruise on the Koningsdam. HAL's website describes the verandah cabins as being "Approximately 228–420 sq. ft. including verandah". That is quite a range. I see that there are various categories of Verandah cabins that vary in price. I was under the impression that categories had more to do with location and view, but I am guessing that the larger cabins would be a higher category (and more expensive) as well. But I can't figure out any way to tell from the website, deck plan, etc., the actual size of a particular cabin. When you click on a cabin, they all have the same description, including "Approximately 228–420 sq. ft. including verandah". What am I missing here?

You're not missing anything. HAL has a habit of showing a generic sample when you click on a cabin for information. They are not all the same, but you'd never know that from the info given.

Since the Koningsdam hasn't sailed yet, there's no way of telling from actual experiences what the various cabins in the several categories are like.

Traditionally, HAL has had variances in size even in the same category on the same ship. That's not to mention the variances in the same category from one class of ship to another.

Stick around, and once the ship starts sailing I am sure there will be lots of reports.

You're not missing anything. HAL has a habit of showing a generic sample when you click on a cabin for information. They are not all the same, but you'd never know that from the info given.

Since the Koningsdam hasn't sailed yet, there's no way of telling from actual experiences what the various cabins in the several categories are like.

Traditionally, HAL has had variances in size even in the same category on the same ship. That's not to mention the variances in the same category from one class of ship to another.

Stick around, and once the ship starts sailing I am sure there will be lots of reports.

The "single" cabins vary in size ranging from a broom closet (lol) to a regular sized inside cabin. Any one know yet which single cabins are the largest?

Should there be much differences in cabin size between Koningsdam and Nieuw Amsterdam?

Who can predict?

When HAL moved from the nearly identical S- & R- class ships to the new Vista class, the cabin sizes were downsized for the same category cabins. Those cabins were left nearly identical when the similar Signature class was introduced.

But the Koningsdam is different from the Vista/Signature ships just as much as they were different from their predecessors. We really won't know anything for certain until passengers return and post pictures and give reports.

The "single" cabins vary in size ranging from a broom closet (lol) to a regular sized inside cabin. Any one know yet which single cabins are the largest?

There are 12 single cabins(00) on the main deck forward if these are what you

are referring to. The largest from what my TA told me were 1011&1018-

the two nearest mid ship.

We are considering booking a 2016 Baltic cruise on the Koningsdam. HAL's website describes the verandah cabins as being "Approximately 228–420 sq. ft. including verandah". That is quite a range. I see that there are various categories of Verandah cabins that vary in price. I was under the impression that categories had more to do with location and view, but I am guessing that the larger cabins would be a higher category (and more expensive) as well. But I can't figure out any way to tell from the website, deck plan, etc., the actual size of a particular cabin. When you click on a cabin, they all have the same description, including "Approximately 228–420 sq. ft. including verandah". What am I missing here?

The only thing I can think of is that the larger cabins might be HC accessible, but that is still too large a range to account for.

There are 12 single cabins(00) on the main deck forward if these are what you

are referring to. The largest from what my TA told me were 1011&1018-

the two nearest mid ship.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Not sure I'll go on the Kdam as I prefer the S & R ships but you never know.

It looks like the Signature Suites on the Koningsdam do not have a desk. There is a dressing table in one section, but I don't see the desk. Where is the TV? Am I missing something? I like the desk and TV on the Vista ships, which is under the window.

It looks like the Signature Suites on the Koningsdam do not have a desk. There is a dressing table in one section, but I don't see the desk. Where is the TV? Am I missing something? I like the desk and TV on the Vista ships, which is under the window.

I had the impression that the TV was wall-mounted, like they are starting to do on the Vista class ships.

I had the impression that the TV was wall-mounted, like they are starting to do on the Vista class ships.

I'm sure you are correct. It would have to be wall mounted. My impression, however, from the pictures of the Signature Suite in the Koningsdam, my preference would be for the Vista class suites. I assume that the Signature class Signature suites are the same as the Vista?

From what little I have seen, the TV is wall mounted in an area of the bedroom. But, some of the views I have seen indicate that there is a partial wall between the seating area and the bedroom. If this is so, how can the TV be seen in the seating area?

From what little I have seen, the TV is wall mounted in an area of the bedroom. But, some of the views I have seen indicate that there is a partial wall between the seating area and the bedroom. If this is so, how can the TV be seen in the seating area?

That is what I found strange,also. The arrangement, from what I can see, does not seem attractive. Instead of an open area, as is present in the Vista class, it is partitioned.

I was looking at the deck plan the other day and I would guess the vast size differences have to do with the size of the verandah on the aft cabins. If you look at the contour of the stern, you can clearly see the length and some widths being longer or wider than others. You still don't get actual square footage but you would have an idea which cabins or verandahs might be larger. It's much easier to see if you are looking at a deck plan with all decks viewed at on time. Also, if you can find how far it is from the stern to the aft cabins, which vary along the rear of the ship you can get an idea of the difference in sizes of the verandah depths.

Which Vista ships are wall mounted? Certain categories or all cabins?

We haven't seen this yet on a Vista. It appears on Koningsdam that TV will be mounted on the wall above the couch in many categories. Seems silly as you couldn't really comfortably watch TV unless you were on the bed.

• 2 weeks later...

Ruth,

I know that we will not know for sure until the Koningsdam sails but which interior rooms in the "I" category look the largest to you on the deck plans? Do you think the ones on the main deck look the largest? Not counting the handicapped rooms, of course.

If you had to book one today, which one would you book?

Does anyone know if the Koningsdam will have different bed configurations similar to the Celebrity S-class ships = bed by bath/ bed by balcony?

I seem to recall a photo on HAL's website where the bed was next to the balcony doors which is not something I favour.

Ruth,

I know that we will not know for sure until the Koningsdam sails but which interior rooms in the "I" category look the largest to you on the deck plans? Do you think the ones on the main deck look the largest? Not counting the handicapped rooms, of course.

If you had to book one today, which one would you book?

I haven't studied the deck plans on the Koningsdam for a suitable cabin.

I booked the ship while I was cruising, and let the Future Cruise Consultant pick the cabin. I took a mid-ship, inside handicap cabin to be sure my scooter will fit, since we truly don't know if there are going to be any large insides that will work.

Until we know for certain, based on first-person accounts, I can't risk it.

I haven't studied the deck plans on the Koningsdam for a suitable cabin.

I booked the ship while I was cruising, and let the Future Cruise Consultant pick the cabin. I took a mid-ship, inside handicap cabin to be sure my scooter will fit, since we truly don't know if there are going to be any large insides that will work.

Until we know for certain, based on first-person accounts, I can't risk it.

Thanks - I had a balcony and switched to an inside on main deck but now I am thinking about changing back to the balcony. Decisions, Decisions!

I just spoke with my PCC and she can look on her deck plans and tell you the actual sq. footage of the stateroom and the sq. footage of the balcony. Of course, she said it could change but that is the sq. footage that they have listed at this time for that specific room.

I thought that was pretty interesting. She helped me pick a V category stateroom with a HUGE 125 sq. ft. balcony.

• 11 months later...

Hello, did you end up booking on the Koningsdam? If so what sale date. My husband and I are on the September 4th sailing for two weeks, we live in San Mateo. Would enjoy chatting with you directly.

Hello, did you end up booking on the Koningsdam? If so what sale date. My husband and I are on the September 4th sailing for two weeks, we live in San Mateo. Would enjoy chatting with you directly.

Not sure if your comment was directed at me (original poster), but yes, we have booked the 21 day 21-DAY BALTIC JEWELS & NORWEGIAN FJORDS leaving August 28, 2016. So, it looks like we will be on the same cruise. Feel free to contact me at fbutera51 at gmail dot com. We live in Roseville.

Frank