Culinary Class question please from a newbie

kazu

If the Culinary Center has 17 Couples apply for a class, and then a single person and a couple apply for the 18th slot at the same time, is it fair to give that last Station to a single person?

I cannot answer how the system works but I would find it unlikely they would have someone booking at the same second online

but should the solo person book first yes they should get the spot & perhaps a 2nd solo person will book later or one person from the couple will take the empty spot

We had to cancel our classes so hopefully others got to enjoy them if there was a wait list ..some were sold out before we left home

...DH has no interest in doing this:eek:.../QUOTE]

I had the opposite problem...Betsy wanted to take the class, I wanted to take the class, but she definitely did not want to take it with me! So, we set it up with another couple, guys against the gals. We all had a great time -- except the guys were better, of course ;).

I just took a class - my husband took one with me the first cruise and took one alone last year. This year I booked one and tried to cancel because I thought it started while we were in port - turns out the time had been changed and my notes did not have that info. They would not refund my class even though I tried to cancel onboard the day before and the class was the 2nd day. They did let me change to another class. The policy is 48 hours notice to cancel.

Anyway, my replacement class was mostly solo students. We were told to find someone and I had a lovely cooking partner. It's easily geared to couples or singles.

interesting, I thought the classes were limited to x number of people.

I don't mind sharing but I don't want to be the "odd man out". And I am sure the couple may not be keen to have me join them.

I guess I better make sure that my friend wants to go then.

then we can be a couple.

Thanks for the heads up.

I've gone to 3 of them by myself and been paired with another solo.

I just took a class - my husband took one with me the first cruise and took one alone last year. This year I booked one and tried to cancel because I thought it started while we were in port - turns out the time had been changed and my notes did not have that info. They would not refund my class even though I tried to cancel onboard the day before and the class was the 2nd day. They did let me change to another class. The policy is 48 hours notice to cancel.

Anyway, my replacement class was mostly solo students. We were told to find someone and I had a lovely cooking partner. It's easily geared to couples or singles.

thanks - I don't mind being paired with a solo of course, I just wouldn't want to possibly wreck a couples' time together :)

I've gone to 3 of them by myself and been paired with another solo.

thanks Catherine :)

thanks everyone. very interesting discussion and different experiences.

Edited by kazu

I would think it unlikely you will be a third wheel

They have so many stations ...2 people at each station so you will be paired up with another solo participant or you will be cooking alone ;)

My DH was very hesitant about doing this and it turned out he really enjoyed it. Don't worry about doing this on your own. They will pair you up with another single or you perhaps get the station all to yourself. I really can't see 3 at a station but I usually do not question Jim/Stan (I said usually):D

Just do it!!!!

thanks again for the reassurance. I am booking them today :)

thanks, I think I will still learn something :) and I like to have fun.

But if it's geared to couples and DH doesn't want to go?

is a single ok?

My husband and I each took a different class on our cruise last year. We were each paired with someone else who was alone. It was great fun for both of us and we ended up eating dinner with our cooking partners. So, no need to fear going solo!

My husband and I each took a different class on our cruise last year. We were each paired with someone else who was alone. It was great fun for both of us and we ended up eating dinner with our cooking partners. So, no need to fear going solo!

I took a class with my wife and found it to be enjoyable and a neat way to spend time on a sea day. There were four single participants and these four were paired up together at two different stations. I do not recall three people at one station. The four singles appeared to be disappointed about being paired up with a stranger.

If you are at a station to the furthest left facing forward, be prepared to cook under pressure as many passengers stand outside the windows looking in during the class....lol

Only two bummers about the class we took:

1. Class moves along at a nice pace and we found that our dishes were not thoroughly cooked when presented back to us for tasting.

2. I still wish they had given each participant either the Oceania apron we were wearing or a clean one in its wrapper as a souvenir of the class.

They were available for purchase...

In the culinary classroom? We asked and were told there were not for sale. I didn't look in the gift shop (I break out in hives when I enter those places...lol) and unsure if my wife looked, but I will ask her.

Even still, think it would have been a neat gift to receive an apron for participating in the class. Obviously not a deal breaker as we are going to take a couple of classes in November.

When I was scheduled to take a class on Marina a year or so ago the class got cancelled at the last minute -- they never told us why. But we were presented with the toque and apron as an apology.

Mura

In the culinary classroom? We asked and were told there were not for sale. I didn't look in the gift shop (I break out in hives when I enter those places...lol) and unsure if my wife looked, but I will ask her.

Even still, think it would have been a neat gift to receive an apron for participating in the class. Obviously not a deal breaker as we are going to take a couple of classes in November.

That's one of the reasons we cancelled classes... inconsistent instructors. :p

Plus giving you a $25 souvenir for a $69 excursion won't cut it in accounting. :p

When I was scheduled to take a class on Marina a year or so ago the class got cancelled at the last minute -- they never told us why. But we were presented with the toque and apron as an apology.

Mura

That's one of the reasons we cancelled classes... inconsistent instructors. :p

Plus giving you a $25 souvenir for a $69 excursion won't cut it in accounting. :p

I would have thought that if the class was cancelled that the $69 would have been refunded? and the souvenirs a gift to "make up for the sudden notice"?

I would have thought that if the class was cancelled that the $69 would have been refunded? and the souvenirs a gift to "make up for the sudden notice"?

No, no... WE cancelled our remaining classes after just one with a poor instructor.

The apron is a separate topic.

2. I still wish they had given each participant either the Oceania apron we were wearing or a clean one in its wrapper as a souvenir of the class.

But then they would have to raise the price of the classes to cover the souvenir ;)

Mura

You really got lucky. I am sure that Oceania would refund the fee as they canceled the class however I am really surprised they gave you the gifts. I found they do not give away much and charge lots for things that are not included.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

When my DW took a cooking class on Riviera in 2013, everyone was given the chef’s hat (toque) that they wore during the class. Since Jacque Pepin was on board, he signed all the hats, a treasured reminder of the cruise.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by neepawa

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Of course they refunded the class fee! The toque and apron were a bonus.

Not sure if that happens every time they cancel a class, however. But it did on this particular occasion.

Mura

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Of course they refunded the class fee! The toque and apron were a bonus.

Not sure if that happens every time they cancel a class, however. But it did on this particular occasion.

Mura

thanks very much Mura. I assumed that was the case, but you know what happens when you assume ;)

No luck booking the culinary classes on line. I keep getting an error message - grrr. Guess I will call O today if it doesn't work again.

I'm looking forward to trying it and thank everyone for their help :)

Hi kazu,

I'm happy to give you some help because you are so helpful on the HAL forum.

I did the Pasta Culinary Class on Marina as a singleton. My American partner at the time was far more engrossed in some NFL thing. I was given a workstation to myself and there was another lady on her own at her workstation. They did not ask us to share. We were given the chef hat as a souvenir of the class, but not an apron.

I really enjoyed the class, and promptly purchased a pasta making machine on coming home. I use it all the time.

Have a great cruise.

Hi kazu,

I'm happy to give you some help because you are so helpful on the HAL forum.

I did the Pasta Culinary Class on Marina as a singleton. My American partner at the time was far more engrossed in some NFL thing. I was given a workstation to myself and there was another lady on her own at her workstation. They did not ask us to share. We were given the chef hat as a souvenir of the class, but not an apron.

I really enjoyed the class, and promptly purchased a pasta making machine on coming home. I use it all the time.

Have a great cruise.

Thank you for the kind words :)

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am looking at the Italian and Greek classes. They sound very interesting.

Thanks again:)

• 1 month later...

My Guy and I have never sailed with Oceania. We are looking at a 2016 cruise in the Med. I think the culinary classes sound fun. But with our port intensive cruise (no at-sea-days), will there be many (any) opportunities to try one? I'm guessing there will be, but it require me cutting a port visit short, right?